PDA

View Full Version : Ilmor withdraw from GP's

neninja
15th March 2007, 12:10
Due to lack of funding Ilmor have pulled out of the next GP

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2007/march/week11-mar12-19/mar1407breakignnewsilmor/

maxu05
15th March 2007, 12:16
:s hock:

tha_jackal
15th March 2007, 12:24
:s hock:

I wouldnt believe it until motogp.com or a more reputable source post some information.. MCN have been known to fabricate in the past.. ;) If its true, well, no big loss really, is it? Probably a waste of money to keep running 5 seconds off the pace.. ... Hardly surprising either.. :D

neninja
15th March 2007, 12:28
They would hardly make up a conversation with Illien - Dorna might bail them out though.

I think it is a big loss as it's symptomatic of the problems facing ALL Motogp teams in finding sponsorship. The championship is probably at it's biggest for years yet sponsors would rather pay the same amount of money to have a tiny sticker on an F1 car than a totally branded bike and rider in MotoGP.

maxu05
15th March 2007, 12:29
Shame all the same though.

tha_jackal
15th March 2007, 12:32
They would hardly make up a conversation with Illien - Dorna might bail them out though.

After actually reading the article :p it would appear to be genuine..

Still, as i said before, hardly surprising.. I mean, Team KR had an awesome year last year and STILL struggled to get backing.. Sponsors need to pull their heads outta their arses.. :mad:

NinjaMaster
15th March 2007, 12:44
It's also reported on Crash.net
http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~0~id~144548.htm

Really hope they can find some cash somewhere to continue and hopefully get more competitive. Clearly big business doesn't know an advertising bargain when it sees one. :(

ChrisS
15th March 2007, 14:18
How can a team fold after just one race? How did they plan their season? They though they would show up at Qatar, race, blow everyone away and sponsors would start giving them money?

I thought that maybe Ilmor would look at Cosworth's mistakes and learn from them but it seems they were even more out of tough with motoGP than Cosworth

They could at least try and fight for a while, WCM fought for 3 years with very little sponsorship racing modified R1s

seppefan
15th March 2007, 15:51
How can a team fold after just one race? How did they plan their season? They though they would show up at Qatar, race, blow everyone away and sponsors would start giving them money?

I thought that maybe Ilmor would look at Cosworth's mistakes and learn from them but it seems they were even more out of tough with motoGP than Cosworth

They could at least try and fight for a while, WCM fought for 3 years with very little sponsorship racing modified R1s

I find it hard to believe that they did not have a business plan in place prior to commencing the project and can only deduce they have done this ti try and become more competitive and then return. Glad I had not signed on the dotted line to join them in any capacity.

Kropotkin
15th March 2007, 20:05
I've posted this on all the forums I frequent, so I'll post it here too. I strongly encourage you to post something similar on any other forums you may frequent.

MotoGP is immensely popular: Well over 300 million viewers for every race, in some very important markets. And yet it is finding it hard to find sponsorship, and the sport is suffering as a result. That's a tragedy, but there's nothing we can do about it, right?

Wrong. Most of us work for companies. Almost all those companies will have marketing budgets. And all those companies will be desperately looking for a way to get their brand out in front of people. Now, at the last two companies I have worked at, I have tried to generate interest in sponsoring motorcycle racing, in whatever form: MotoGP, Superbike, Dakar, whatever. Even though I have so far been unsuccessful, the reactions I got were really enthusiastic. Mostly, the marketing people were unaware of motorcycle racing, and unaware of its huge popularity. It certainly gave the marketing department something to think about, and maybe at some time in the future the situation could change, and they could start looking more actively at sponsoring motorcycle racing. As it happens, a good friend has just been hired to the marketing department of another company, and I'm already trying to interest her in sponsoring some racing. It may come together even yet.

Now, you could do the same. It will only take you 15 minutes to send an e-mail to your marketing department, making them aware of the huge interest in MotoGP and motorcycle racing in general, especially in specific locations such as Southern Europe. The worst thing that can happen is that they will tell you no. But if they don't then you too could end up in a pit box somewhere, watching some of the world's finest riders mounting to join battle.

patnicholls
16th March 2007, 01:28
I've posted this on all the forums I frequent, so I'll post it here too. I strongly encourage you to post something similar on any other forums you may frequent.

MotoGP is immensely popular: Well over 300 million viewers for every race, in some very important markets. And yet it is finding it hard to find sponsorship, and the sport is suffering as a result. That's a tragedy, but there's nothing we can do about it, right?

Wrong. Most of us work for companies. Almost all those companies will have marketing budgets. And all those companies will be desperately looking for a way to get their brand out in front of people. Now, at the last two companies I have worked at, I have tried to generate interest in sponsoring motorcycle racing, in whatever form: MotoGP, Superbike, Dakar, whatever. Even though I have so far been unsuccessful, the reactions I got were really enthusiastic. Mostly, the marketing people were unaware of motorcycle racing, and unaware of its huge popularity. It certainly gave the marketing department something to think about, and maybe at some time in the future the situation could change, and they could start looking more actively at sponsoring motorcycle racing. As it happens, a good friend has just been hired to the marketing department of another company, and I'm already trying to interest her in sponsoring some racing. It may come together even yet.

Now, you could do the same. It will only take you 15 minutes to send an e-mail to your marketing department, making them aware of the huge interest in MotoGP and motorcycle racing in general, especially in specific locations such as Southern Europe. The worst thing that can happen is that they will tell you no. But if they don't then you too could end up in a pit box somewhere, watching some of the world's finest riders mounting to join battle.

Good post Kropotkin, good to see you on the forum too - your blog is excellent.

We should have a forum initiative as a group, do a bit of writing to people about sponsorship, maybe it might help Ilmor or some other team out.

I'll have a think and write some more on this tomorrow, am about to go to bed now!

Mach24
16th March 2007, 09:22
Whilst I am sure the financial aspect has an influence on this decision I am confident that the performance, or lack there of has been a major factor in this decision. Why practice infront of the viewing public, sponsors may not come until success does and Ilmor are some way from success.

It is a great loss to see a new team with new ideas withdraw so early...... They will return!

Kropotkin
16th March 2007, 10:31
Whilst I am sure the financial aspect has an influence on this decision I am confident that the performance, or lack there of has been a major factor in this decision. Why practice infront of the viewing public, sponsors may not come until success does and Ilmor are some way from success.

That's true, but the thing is, nothing is so good for bike development as racing. I think part of Ilmor's problem was that they spent their time developing the bike in private, and had a big shock when they actually started racing. Racing is the only way to truly measure yourself against your competitors.

Kropotkin
16th March 2007, 10:33
Good post Kropotkin, good to see you on the forum too - your blog is excellent.

We should have a forum initiative as a group, do a bit of writing to people about sponsorship, maybe it might help Ilmor or some other team out.

I'll have a think and write some more on this tomorrow, am about to go to bed now!

Thanks for the compliments! I am going to write a post on my blog about this, including a bunch of figures which people can use. It may take a couple of days, but at least it will be a start.

Mach24
16th March 2007, 11:19
That's true, but the thing is, nothing is so good for bike development as racing. I think part of Ilmor's problem was that they spent their time developing the bike in private, and had a big shock when they actually started racing. Racing is the only way to truly measure yourself against your competitors.

As the first to debut the 800 Ilmor were far from developing in private. They have simply been unable to match the BIG 4 (perhaps that should read BIG 5 with Ducati delivering).

To continue at the rate they were is unacceptable. Blame sponsorship its the buzz topic (and a serious issue) but the issues Ilmor have are beyond commercial investment. Ilmor need time to perform, possibly a complete redesign and that can not be undertaken in public whilst maintaining respect.

It is fantastic to see a non manufacturer compete at the highest level without factory support (as KR has done previously with limited success prior to Hondas involvement in the project).

I for one hope Ilmor are able to improve the package and return to show what they are capable of. A huge challenge lay ahead!

ArmchairBikeFan
16th March 2007, 13:03
On the plus side, Ilmor now have a baseline. They've gone up against the old hands on 800's now, and they know where they fall short. McWilliams was 7th fastest on the Qatar straight in qualifying. They have power, but no rideability.
Ilmor will never find sponsorship until they're on the pace. Sponsoring a MotoGP team is an alternative to buying hundreds of peak time TV commercials or adverts in glossy magazines. Only big companies do that, and they make hard-nosed decisions about advertising.
Sure, there are 300 million TV viewers per race, but that only matters if you're a multinational. If you're a British company, you're only reaching 2 million British viewers, and only when the bike's on screen, which the Ilmor rarely was. They'll be thinking, why not just buy up adverts in the middle of Big Brother?

NinjaMaster
17th March 2007, 00:04

Welcome to the forum Kropotkin. :wave: Nice post and I enjoyed your blog too. I'll speak to my Dad (my employer) and see if he can swing Ilmor a couple of grand. That should get 'em up and going again!

As the first to debut the 800 Ilmor were far from developing in private. They have simply been unable to match the BIG 4 (perhaps that should read BIG 5 with Ducati delivering).

To continue at the rate they were is unacceptable. Blame sponsorship its the buzz topic (and a serious issue) but the issues Ilmor have are beyond commercial investment. Ilmor need time to perform, possibly a complete redesign and that can not be undertaken in public whilst maintaining respect.

It is fantastic to see a non manufacturer compete at the highest level without factory support (as KR has done previously with limited success prior to Hondas involvement in the project).

I for one hope Ilmor are able to improve the package and return to show what they are capable of. A huge challenge lay ahead!

Ilmor's testing was in the public eye, but it was really done in private as they tested completely alone. They tried to pump it up, I guess to excite some sponsors, by claiming it was faster than the Duc (can't remember where) but now they're competing head-to-head with the establishment, they have been found out and like WCM in MotoGP and Bimota and Benelli in WSB, they are up against it to ever get competitive.

On the plus side, Ilmor now have a baseline. They've gone up against the old hands on 800's now, and they know where they fall short. McWilliams was 7th fastest on the Qatar straight in qualifying. They have power, but no rideability.
Ilmor will never find sponsorship until they're on the pace. Sponsoring a MotoGP team is an alternative to buying hundreds of peak time TV commercials or adverts in glossy magazines. Only big companies do that, and they make hard-nosed decisions about advertising.
Sure, there are 300 million TV viewers per race, but that only matters if you're a multinational. If you're a British company, you're only reaching 2 million British viewers, and only when the bike's on screen, which the Ilmor rarely was. They'll be thinking, why not just buy up adverts in the middle of Big Brother?

Pretty much spot on. On paper, it sounded like an exciting, though sceptical prospect with a powerful engine and a Suter designed frame but then you need a top, experienced crew to be able to keep the development going forward and support from other suppliers (suspension, tyres, etc.) to really become competitive. Oh, and a truckload of money doesn't hurt either. :)

The Phantom
19th March 2007, 23:19
Maybe they can go to WSB, I hear Foggy's looking for work? : )

AndyRAC
28th March 2007, 11:09
As has been stated before, getting sponsors is hard, to most companies motorsport is F1, and nothing else. Would be interesting to know how many British companies involved in sponsoring Moto GP.

ChrisS
25th April 2007, 14:46
i'm bringing this back from the dead :p

At some point during the Turkish GP, I think it was during qualifying the Eurosport commentators said that a lot of Ilmor employees showed up at the paddock at Turkey wearing different colour shirts. I think the commentators said that these people were key personnel not only of the team but of the GP project

I believe this means the Ilmor GP project could be over and there is no development taking place behind the scenes

ozrevhead
25th April 2007, 15:06
question so what will the two riders do now :(

ChrisS
25th April 2007, 16:20
Pitt was a replacement rider for injured Charpentier at the Valencia supersport race and finished 2nd, as a reward Ten Kate will field a 3rd bike for him at Assen.

McWilliams is probably at his home wondering why the f*** did he brake his femur, collarbone, ribs and lost his finger for a team that was on the grid for 1 race

fatman
25th April 2007, 17:30
McWilliams lost a finger as well ?

ChrisS
25th April 2007, 19:54
McWilliams lost a finger as well ?

yes, he had a big crash during preseason testing and lost his ring finger, similarly to Bayliss the finger was crushed by the handlebar

Alpinestars made a 4-fingers glove for him
http://www.autosport.com/images/upload/1173183597.jpg

ArmchairBikeFan
25th April 2007, 20:29
Apparently the finger was already crushed in a previous accident, so it was useless anyway. McWilliams didn't seem too bothered when it was chopped off.

tha_jackal
26th April 2007, 02:23
Its a great reward for Pitty who deserves a chance.. If he does well again at this race maybe Ten Kate WSS will be a permanent 3 bike team?? Lets hope so.. Oh and Ilmor do seem pretty well dead, maybe thats a good thing, save some money and embarresment..

Kropotkin
1st May 2007, 10:23
i'm bringing this back from the dead :p

At some point during the Turkish GP, I think it was during qualifying the Eurosport commentators said that a lot of Ilmor employees showed up at the paddock at Turkey wearing different colour shirts. I think the commentators said that these people were key personnel not only of the team but of the GP project

I believe this means the Ilmor GP project could be over and there is no development taking place behind the scenes

Almost prescient, I would say. Ilmor announced their demise on Monday:

http://blogger.xs4all.nl/daisy/posts/206585.aspx

leopard
2nd May 2007, 04:09
Nice to see you again in Forum, Kropotkin