PDA

View Full Version : If that's racing at Daytona this year . . . . .

Lee Roy
13th February 2011, 19:06
. . . . . then they can forget me. That two-by-two racing is non-sense (of course, IMHO). Looks like my off season is going to last a little longer.

Alexamateo
13th February 2011, 23:01
FWIW, I'm reading that they were jacking up the pressure relief valves on the cooling systems to 300 F (normal is 255 F). That coupled with the cool night temperatures allowed them to stay hooked up for so long. In the race they won't want to risk a blown motor and a dnf (plus it should be warmer during the day), so I don't think things will play out that way. My initial thoughts were although it looked different, cars were able to get separation and in that regard it was more like the old days.

In some ways though, it brought to mind trailer racing! :D

harvick#1
14th February 2011, 01:05
12 Hours of Sebring in one month and one week, 59 cars entered, I think thats gonna be purtty good

billiaml
14th February 2011, 17:32
. . . . . then they can forget me. That two-by-two racing is non-sense (of course, IMHO). Looks like my off season is going to last a little longer.

Hopefully, 2x2 is limited to 1 track.

slorydn1
14th February 2011, 17:44
Well it appears at this time, anyway, Nascar is leaning away from messing with the plate size and messing with the cooling systems on the car to cause them to overheat quicker so that they can't just hook up for ever. We'll see in the duels if it works. It'll be daytime and should be warmer outside.

Lee Roy
14th February 2011, 17:58
Hopefully, 2x2 is limited to 1 track.

I'm pretty used to ignoring Talladega and the 400 miler at Daytona. I still seem to watch the Daytona 500 because it is the big race (and I used to go in the 60's and 70's), but this two-by-two stuff is worse that the regular restrictor plate racing, which i abhore.

slorydn1
14th February 2011, 18:14
I'm pretty used to ignoring Talladega and the 400 miler at Daytona. I still seem to watch the Daytona 500 because it is the big race (and I used to go in the 60's and 70's), but this two-by-two stuff is worse that the regular restrictor plate racing, which i abhore.

I'm with you on restrictor plate racing for the most part. I never was one for the big parade and having to rely on someone else to help you win. I do find my self having to admit that it becomes an amazing spectacle, though-It's just not much of a race.

Im not sure what to think about this 2x2 stuff though. Again, it means one has to rely on someone else. But, it does allow some break away from the amorphous blob that the rest of the pack represents. I'm not sure if I like it or not. I guess I would, like you, rather that 1 car could do that on its own,, like in the 33 other races a year.

billiaml
14th February 2011, 18:26
lol -- So who was it who said, "There will never be anything worse than restrictor plate racing?" Because you know, the more people say it, the more likely something worse will come along. It's that way with everything.

booger
17th February 2011, 20:05
Watching the twin 150s. 2 car trains are stupid and boring. I don't think I'll even tune in for the 2nd one.

Lee Roy
17th February 2011, 21:51
I wonder if the Nationwide race will be worth watching?

slorydn1
17th February 2011, 22:35
I wonder if the Nationwide race will be worth watching?

Oh you mean the Danica Patrick 300? :D

Mr. Mister
17th February 2011, 23:03
My anticipation for the 500 usually increases each day. This year, not so. I wouldn't say I dislike the racing, but it's just strange.

Steve-o
18th February 2011, 04:17
Notes from the duels:
http://www.fanviewpoint.com/2011/02/kurt-busch-and-jeff-burton-win-duels-at.html

Sparky1329
18th February 2011, 04:45

:D :up:

harvick#1
18th February 2011, 06:34

:rotflmao:

ms0362
18th February 2011, 07:12
Once again, NASCAR has messed with things and made them worse. I've never liked restrictor plate racing, and now I really hate it. Maybe they'll split the first place purse between two cars, since you HAVE to have a partner the entire race to keep up with the field. Matt Kenseth couldn't catch a partner after a pit in the shootout and was lapped in 15 laps. Pemberton has no idea what he is doing. They spend so much time worrying about a car getting up in the fence at 206 so they choke it down another 1/64th to get it to 200, yea right that's going to make a difference. Take the stupid plates off, cut the spoiler down. When they go into the corner and the rear starts to come around, they'll lift! Let's start seeing car actually race and get rid of this stupid crap.

Lee Roy
18th February 2011, 15:20
I have a big project going on at work. I think I'm going in to the office on Sunday afternoon to work on it.