PDA

View Full Version : Another girl racing in Indy Car....How many is that now?

MAX_THRUST
11th February 2011, 22:03
So how many American drivers in the series?
How many women?
How many Brits?
and how many Brazilians?
How many others?

Great mix of drivers, and tracks. Surely ublic interest must grow because of all this diversity?

Lousada
11th February 2011, 23:10
Could you be any more vague??

nigelred5
11th February 2011, 23:32
It is good to see diversity in all sports, (and I'm wearing my nomex), but I question what it says about the current level of competetion in IC when the only place most of them are even remotely competetive are in Indycars. Good on em all to have the drive and dedication to make it to a top level of the sport where they face countless barriers, but I don't ever expect much.

soooo, how long before we see a female player in the NFL.

DazzlaF1
12th February 2011, 00:11
If anyone's wondering who MAX_THRUST is on about, its British lass Pippa Mann getting a test with Conquest

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89434

Mr. Mister
12th February 2011, 00:20
Pippa Mann's a nice person, but she's not ready for the big cars yet. A lot left to prove and another year of FILS will only make her better. Running the ovals with Conquest won't work out because it's too early, and in that equipment, it's only going to hurt her confidence.

Oh well. Best of luck to her. I suppose if the opportunity comes up you may as well take it while the grid is growing; can't really predict the grid size once the new car comes into play and what opportunities there would be then.

ICWS
12th February 2011, 01:14
I thought Katherine Legge was gonna get a test with some team in the near future?

I think Legge would be a good addition for the series, similar to De Silvestro. She did a decent job of racing against the guys and holding her own when she raced in Champ Car.

ShiftingGears
12th February 2011, 02:19
So how many American drivers in the series?
How many women?
How many Brits?
and how many Brazilians?
How many others?

Great mix of drivers, and tracks. Surely ublic interest must grow because of all this diversity?

Oh I wouldn't go that far.

anthonyvop
12th February 2011, 03:51
soooo, how long before we see a female player in the NFL.

Don't you remember Dion Sanders?

MAX_THRUST
12th February 2011, 10:57
I was wondering what the current break down was of the drivers is? Not just the lady drivers but the nationalities. Is there a nations cup as in CART days gone by? There's lots of drivers out there that could run in Indy Car and do well compared to some in the series but that is motorsport today.

I'm hoping the diversity of drivers will open the fan base up to those who would be casual viewers, and make them follow the series more. Danica as much as she annoys me, she has brought the series attention, wherever that is good attention or not doesn't matter.

Pipa got pole last year at Indy, is she that inexperienced on ovals then?

DazzlaF1
12th February 2011, 12:29
I was wondering what the current break down was of the drivers is? Not just the lady drivers but the nationalities. Is there a nations cup as in CART days gone by? There's lots of drivers out there that could run in Indy Car and do well compared to some in the series but that is motorsport today.

I'm hoping the diversity of drivers will open the fan base up to those who would be casual viewers, and make them follow the series more. Danica as much as she annoys me, she has brought the series attention, wherever that is good attention or not doesn't matter.

3 Pole Positions (Indy Freedom 100, Kentucky & Homestead-Miami, plus the first woman ever to sit on pole position for any race at Indianapolis)
1 Win (Kentucky)
2nd at Chicago
313 Points, good enough for 5th spot

Id say thats a pretty good record for 2010. Although I agree, id wait till the 2012 car becomes available before giving her a full season shot in IndyCars

Mr. Mister
12th February 2011, 23:02

She's more experience on road courses, but she was awful on them in FILS. Ovals were her strong point. She still needs another year. In the past, no one seemed to be graduating from FILS to INDYCAR; now we have the opposite problem, everyone is graduating and not all of them should be.

Mark in Oshawa
15th February 2011, 23:32
I am thinking for the most part, the women are going to Indycar because if they can bring the money, they can get a ride. Unlike NASCAR where in theory you should have some talent (although you know who is defying that theory) to get the big ride, in the IRL, a woman can bring cash and it is an equalizer. That all said, I wont knock the talent of some of the women who are trying to get in.

However, I am going to stand by my theory that on ovals, they could be more competitive than they will be on the road/street courses. Physicality is required to wrestle a 1500 lb Indy car with 650 to 700 hp for two hours..and the results of women in this class tend to be better on the ovals. Which isn't to say I cant be wrong, and a woman wont compete, but I think overall, they will do better on ovals.

Pippa, who grew up on road racing is having more success in Indy lights on the ovals. This isn't an accident....

elan 02
16th February 2011, 03:08
One more young lady has joined the group. Shannon McIntosh has hooked up with Wayne Taylor to run the Road to Indy ladder , Will start with F2000 and progress to Star Mazada. I hope we see a large group of women. I feel this can only bring world wide attention to Indycar. Well Mark you could ask Katherine Legg how it felt to beat the boys in Long Beach???

vintage
16th February 2011, 05:15
KL - those were the only three races she ever won. She subsequently has gone 60 races or so without one.

She tied for third in the series with Antoine Bessette, and finished behind the Charles Zwolsman and Tonis Kasemets. It was about the weakest field until the last year of the Series. The Series had a resurgent 2006 with the new car.