PDA

View Full Version : The Top 10 of the 20 and younger.

MDS
11th February 2011, 18:51
I think this is the third year I've put together a list to give you guys the idea of what talent is out there and I can say its getting better. There are more 15-year-old boys with open wheel resumes than I've seen in a long time. There are a lot of kids who are out there talking about wanting to get to Indy, and for some of these young guys Indy is looking more accessible than NASCAR for the first time in a long, long time.

The biggest problem is that only one team "Gets it" when it comes to young driver development programs, and that's Andretti Autosport. Michael Andretti has at least three of the drivers in this list in his stable of development drivers and possibly four. There's no reason why Ganassi, Penske and KV can't do the same.

Most of these guys of these guys are a year away from the ICS, others three or four, but they're all impressive and could be Indycar race winners by their 21st birthday.

Sage Karem
Series: Star Mazda

Granted the F-2000 field wasn't that deep and Karem arguably had the best car he was still impressive. In thirteen races he won eleven pole positions and nine races. He's moving up to Mazda Star where he'll race for two years before moving into Indy lights and and then the Indy 500 in 2013, hopefully all with Andretti Autosport.

In what could be a massive thing Dave Popielarz has signed on as Karam's crew cheif. This guy has been around the sport a long time and if everything progresses at AA the way it should, he'll be his crew chief his first year in the ICS.

Zach Veach
Series: F-2000

He makes the list because of Andretti's backing, but I haven't been that impressed with him honestly. He had the same equipment Karem did and didn't produce nearly the same results. He was impressive in winter fest, but he's ahead of a lot of the guys on this list because of Michael's support

Conor Daly
Series: GP3?/FIL?

Daly dominated Mazda Star this year winning four races in a row this year, and it would have been five if not for a screw up by race officials. He won on roads and ovals and hasn't announced plans for 2011 yet but I believe he's going to race in the FIL. Yes his stated goal is Formula 1 but he's not in Europe, where he should be if he wants to be an F-1 driver. Still hasn't been signed for 2011 yet.

Spencer Pigot
Series: F-2000

Spencer started karting when he was nine and has a room full of karting trophies. He won the Team USA scholarship this year, competed in the Formula Ford festival in England where he was more impressive than his older teammate. He's taking over Sage Karem's seat in F-2000 so he's set to have a blazing year this year.

Alexander Rossi
Current Series: GP3 and hopefully GP2

Rossi is definitely chasing that Formula 1 and had a very good year in the inaugural GP3 championship. He won two races, three poles and finished fourth in the standings, which ought to be enough to get him a ride in GP2. Rossi has stated over and over again that Formula 1 is his goal, but he doesn't have the money to buy his way in and the big teams have their driver lineups set for the next few years. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in the states, and hopefully it won't be in a tin-top.

Josef Newgarden
Current Series: FIL?

The other serious American F-1 prospect Josef Newgarden put in a respectable year in GP3. He's another driver with stunning talent who has come up the right way, but there are only so many F-1 seats available and ask Nico Hulkenburg how easy it is to get and keep an F-1 seat on talent alone. I can't imagine a world where both Newgarden and Rossi have lengthy careers in F-1 the way the sport is at the moment, and Newgarden is looking at doing FIL with Andretti

Conner De Phillipi
Current Series: Star Mazda

Conner De Phillipi did well for himself in his rookie year in Star Mazda, he finished third in the points in a competitive field and end the season with three podiums including a win from pole at Road Atlanta. I think he plans on doing another year in Star Mazda before moving up to the FIL.

Trent Hindman
Current Series: Skip Barber National Tour

Tiny little Jersey kid has speed. He's been racing and winning in carts since he was nine and recently won the Skip Barber Shootout. Hindman has a feel for the car and has the background you look for in an ICS driver. He's not on the same fast track that Sage Karam is, but he may be just as good. He did well at winter fest in December.

Gustavo Menezes
Current Series: Star Mazda

Gustavo is a California kid who has a bunch of carting experience but not much formula experience.. However, he's impressed two people whose opinions mean a lot, Ryan at juniopenwheeltalent.com and Ricardo Juncos owner of Juncos Racing, which is the same team that Conor Daly drove for last season. According to Ryan he's fast and patient, its a good combo.

It also doesn't hurt him that he's Brazilian American. It would definitely be a good marketing hook and helps him find money.

Sean Rayhall
Current Series: Thursday night Legends and Formula Enterprise

He's on the track I'd like to see more young drivers on. He's doing Legends races this year as well as SCCA Formula E In 2010 he won six developmental series crowns and set a bunch of “Youngest Driver” records in SCCA. If NASCAR doesn't not get him open wheel cause he's got touch and that's hard to come by. Also by the time he's 18 he'll have more oval experience than anyone else on the list at his current clip.

The biggest problem with this Rayahall might be his size. His website lists him as 5'7 and 175 pounds, so he's going to be a big guy. For sake of comparison Trent Hindman is like 5'3 and 100 pounds or so, Gustavo Meneze is the same height about 50 pounds lighter, Sage Karam wrestles in the 125 pound weight class. Fifty pounds makes a huge difference in a car's performance, just as Robby Gordon and Danica Patrick.

dave67
12th February 2011, 15:24
Great List MDS I agree with all. I had the opportunity to work with Veach a little before he went to Andretti. I don't know how much you know about him but he only did a year and a half of karting before he started running a FBMW car which he was very quick in. While doing that he got mixed up with Eric Jensen and Jensen had talked the parents into having him run Atlantic which messed him up for low down force cars. I ran into him at Road Atlanta last year and he said that he basically had to learn to drive again because he was just pushing to hard on entry with the low downforce car. For a kid with only a couple years of racing experience compared to others on your list with years. I think is what Andretti seen in him and think we will see great things to come.

I also heard we will see him in a Bob East USAC Midget in between USF2000 races this year. Which I think is a great move for him.

DBell
12th February 2011, 16:27
Nice work MDS. I read in the last week that Rossi has signed for Formula Renault 3.5 with one of the top teams in that series. If he couldn't get a good ride in GP2, then this was a better route to take, imo.

MDS
12th February 2011, 17:27
I've seen half of these kids race at Road Atlanta and Seabring. I'm not saying that Zach Veach is a bad driver or anything, you never want to talk negative about kid. The problem for him is that Sage Karam set a very high bar and its on Zach to respond. He's certainly poised to have a breakout year, and I hope that he does. He won the WinterFest Championship, and he did it over Spencer Pigot, a more experienced driver in the same equipment. Everything I've heard about him is good, he's well spoken, level headed, he wrote an app for Droid, he's outspoken against texting while driving and done a very good job at promoting himself.

He's been doing a good bit of press, and back when I was a reporter I'd interview kids and most of them were horrible, he does well. Check out this interview where the guy throws a question at him that he doesn't expect and Zach does very well.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ziggy393

Also, you've gotta love a kid whose got the bluster to strap into a race car while he's being bullied for being tiny.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/bullying-kids-climb-social-ladder/story?id=12860047

rolinchicane
24th February 2011, 16:21
MDS,
Wow, that's some pretty extensive info. Nice work!

I am a huge fan of the Andretti developmental program and I think it's awesome that Michael is doing this. His profit margin can't be worth it.

Dave "Poppy" and Sage Karam is an awesome combination and Andretti is smart to keep those two together. Sage is alien fast and is also a sponsor machine. Total polished package. A high schooler in the 500 would be amazing.

Zach is a super kid and gives credit to Karam for bringing him along.It's cool to see teammates that get along. Veach and Pigot not so much from what I hear. I think Veach will have a great year. Pigot and Veach will battle it out on many weekends for the championship.

Both Conors are gentlemen and very talented. I wish Daly was full-time FIL and going for a title though.Schmidt does a fine job and will do a fantastic job with Daly.

I see Rossi coming back to the US and competing as well. Newgarden will be banging wheels in FIL and I hear at AA. AFS ran a great program while at AA and this will get interesting. Can AFS do it alone and without AA's assistance this year? I think AA needs to bounce back this year to the top of the charts to earn back their reputation as the dominating team in the FIL series.

vintage
24th February 2011, 17:44
I think Pigot will beat Veach. Be interesting to see how Karam does in Star Mazda against greater competition.

About team mates getting along - Karam pretty much owned Veach last year, so I'm guessing he didn't feel too threatened, which makes it easier to get along. Not sure that Veach is feeling the same way this year.

MDS
24th February 2011, 18:21
Just a couple of updates...

Josef Newgarden turned 20 in December, sorry for missing that. Also he and Andretti are looking for the money to do a full schedule.

Alexander Rossi is still living in Italy and has signed with Fortec Motorsport, the same team that helped launch the careers of Juan Pablo Montoya, Heikki Kovalainen and Mike Conway. He's on track to get a shot at F-1

Conor Daly is doing the full GP3 season with Carlin Motorsports and some selected starts with Sam Schmidt in the IRL. There's rumors that he might be on the short list for one of the five $5 million slots at Vegas because he's technically not a FIL driver, he's a GP3 driver this year.

Sage Karem will carry the purple colors of Comfort Revolutions, one of Andretti's associate sponsors in Mazda Star.

Connor De Phillippi (Sorry for getting the name wrong) has signed to drive for Team Pelfrey, a new team in the Mazda Star this year. Another good year this year and he'll be on track to be in FIL next year.

Trent Hindman has been getting some love from Mazda, who named him their driver of the week last week.

rolinchicane
24th February 2011, 19:21
How do you get this info?? LOL. Good stuff!
You see the Pelfrey logo? A little too close of a resemblance to Team Penske?

Did Andretti marry the Comfort Revolution sponsor to Karam? If so, that's way cool. I am a huge fan of this kid. Been following him for a long time.

I saw Pigot testing a FIL yesterday. I know it's hard to believe, but it's true. Skippy awarded him that as a prize with Herta.

rolinchicane
24th February 2011, 19:22
Who are Rossi and Newgarden sponsors?

MDS
24th February 2011, 19:49
Rossi and Newgarden don't have sponsors, they have backers, Alexander more so than Josef. Basically there are people who silently put money behind this kids either because they want to be supportive or have contracts that specify a rate of return if the driver reaches certain levels. Its fairly common in open wheel racing for kids to come up this way, Simona's last season at HVM was largely paid by supporters, Danica had backers, Scott Dixon finally finished off paying off the guys who supported him through development three or four years ago. Marco Andretti is one of the few drivers whose come out without the help of silent partners. I've donated money to a few kids with Indy dreams over the years and will probably do so in the future, I don't ask for a return, but some all access passes to Indy would be nice one year.

I don't think think the sponsorship with Sage and Comfort Revolution, I don't think its a massive thing. I think they stepped down from associate level to developmental level but I doubt they'd be will pick up Sage and move up to Indy with him unless they expand the brand significantly, right now their products are only available online, Costco and BB&B

rolinchicane
2nd March 2011, 19:05
Saw Veach on Today Show promoting his book today. I didn't know he was the youngest driver in MRTI ladder?

vintage
2nd March 2011, 21:54
I don't know if he's the youngest, but he might be the shortest!

diamond state
3rd March 2011, 13:59
As I thought, according to this link, Sage Karam is younger: http://www.driverdb.com/drivers/13045/

MDS
10th March 2011, 21:15
Josef Newgarden signed with Sam Schmidt Motorsports for a full season in Indy Lights.

http://www.junioropenwheeltalent.com

rolinchicane
10th March 2011, 23:17
Who'd AA sign? How about AFS? I've heard nothing.

Mr. Mister
11th March 2011, 01:08
Who'd AA sign? How about AFS? I've heard nothing.

No one just yet. AA are likely to go with Stefan Wilson and Philip Major. Nothing I've read on the AFS front, but I'm by no means an expert. I'm sure someone somewhere knows something.