PDA

View Full Version : DETAILS Rd 2 V8 Supercar Series - Eastern Ck.

Peter Vuko
15th March 2007, 09:03
It's time for Rd 2 of the V8 Supercar Series for 2007. We are off to Eastern Ck. Practice has been hectic with times faster than last year. Current champion Vuko Snr setting the fastest practice time of 1m.04.98. The real stuff now begins. Here are the details - PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!!

Rd 2 DETAILS & SETTINGS:

TRACK: Eastern Ck.
LENGTH: 18 Laps
SETTINGS:*FREE Car settings for Qualifying & Race - NO Cheats or Boosts!!
*A.I: Set to HARD
*Dangerous Driving & Corner Cutting OFF
*Damage & Flags ON
*PITS: Set to OPTIONAL
*RESTARTS: Allowed
TIMES: pm your fastest Q/T, O/T & F/L to me by Sunday week 25th March by midnight.
Have fun! Please don't post Q/T 's on the thread - you can make comments though. Tyre choice will be critical here - pitting probably unwise.

Brown, Jon Brow
15th March 2007, 09:21
Will there be any success ballast used here?

real_illusions
15th March 2007, 11:16
Will there be any success ballast used here?

yeah...you and the rest of the top 8 from adelaide will have to walk around..although shoe choice is upto, but no rollar blades or rockets allowed ;) :p :

Peter Vuko
15th March 2007, 21:06
There will not be any success ballast used this Rd. I want to see how people go on "free settings." I will then look at the two Rd results. Next Rd there will be something put in place.

I am evil Homer
16th March 2007, 09:26
Seems a fair way to do it :) Looking forward to this round with the Falcon, although I suspect it's going to be hard to win here with so many people so close together.

maxu05
16th March 2007, 23:40
I will start practice today. I plan to put in at least 100 laps, and fiddle with setup until I have found the right balance for competitive times. I aim to put in at least 40 to 50 laps every day after work, so I can really get in there and mix it with the top teams. I can't wait to see the results.

harvick#1
17th March 2007, 00:19
thats what the test session was for, was to get your practice in. I like the long date for the race, but it shouldn't be a full week.

now everyone is gonna tweek with the tire setup to get the best maximum use out of the tires without having to pit. these should be more like race weekend when you get a couple of hour session max.

chrisfinch
17th March 2007, 20:41
I really don't know if i'll be able to make this race. I want to, but I have a ridiculous amount of coursework to do-but i have a long time to do the race though.

Peter Vuko
17th March 2007, 21:45
thats what the test session was for, was to get your practice in. I like the long date for the race, but it shouldn't be a full week.

now everyone is gonna tweek with the tire setup to get the best maximum use out of the tires without having to pit. these should be more like race weekend when you get a couple of hour session max.
We have to run the series to cater for all competitors - some need more time than others. I agree it would be nice to run it like a real race weekend with 20mins max for qualifying then race, but policing it would be impossible.

harvick#1
17th March 2007, 22:01
I know :)

Muz
18th March 2007, 09:54
I've just completed my second and last trip to the track to practice before my race. Have finalised my race setup which ,thanks to a conversation with P Vuko, now includes having the toe and camber the correct way rather than the opposite. This means better tyre wear so softer tyres and, as a result, faster times. :D

Brown, Jon Brow
18th March 2007, 17:08
I've just completed my second and last trip to the track to practice before my race. Have finalised my race setup which ,thanks to a conversation with P Vuko, now includes having the toe and camber the correct way rather than the opposite. This means better tyre wear so softer tyres and, as a result, faster times. :D

Maybe I need a 'conversation' with Mr.Vuko

tannat
18th March 2007, 19:29

I believe I'm correct in stating + toe in assists turn in for corners, and negative camber assists the tire in staying flat through the corners, but I've never noticed any advanced tire wear, or significant gains from these settings..

but I never really finish high either... :D

Brown, Jon Brow
18th March 2007, 21:20
I've experimented with toe and camber and chosen settings that suit my driving style.

I ran a 20 minute practice session to see what affect heavy fuel and hard tyres had on my lap time. For the first few laps I was in the high 1:06's but my times improved by about a tenth of a second every lap, as the fuel load went down, untill about the 8th or 9th lap. Then the tyre wear kicked in and I started lapping in the 1:07's. I went with 80% tyre hardness in practice put maybe slightly softer tyres will give me more ultimate pace early on.

I hope to complete the 18 lap race in the high 19 minute mark or maybe v.low 20 minute.

I am evil Homer
19th March 2007, 09:38
There's no way you can go too soft here because by the end the tyres will be screwed esp with the times people are doing. Somewhere between 65-80% seems optimum depending on driving style.

I tried 50% in practice and after 10 laps the tyres were definitely getting worse and by lap 15 I had to pit.

johnny shell
19th March 2007, 12:21
nm

tannat
19th March 2007, 15:39
Could someone glance at their telemetry from a decent lap and let me know what your min/max speeds are for this circuit?

I'm doing something very wrong... :(

I am evil Homer
19th March 2007, 16:20
I'm flat through turn 1...about 190 if memory serves from practice...

harvick#1
19th March 2007, 16:41
I run the hairpin at around 80-90 depending on the tire wear

tannat
19th March 2007, 20:49
Think I need to have a look at gearing
and technique...

real_illusions
19th March 2007, 20:57
Think I need to have a look at gearing
and technique...

and make sure your going round the right way, your in the right car, right country as well.. ;)

tannat
19th March 2007, 23:15
and make sure your going round the right way, your in the right car, right country as well.. ;)

You're ever the wit, r_i :up:

Hope "Grumpy' is as appreciative.... :laugh:

harvick#1
20th March 2007, 17:54
just finished my race.

I am very happy with my times even though I'm not very fond of this track, but I enjoyed running the V8's on the track though.

I bested my fasted lap from the test session in Qualifying :D

I ran a clean race and was running some great times until about lap 12, thats when the tires were starting to go away. I still ran consistent times until the finish even though they were slower than what I ran earlier in the race.

hoping to get a top 10 finish and beating my American Rivals :D

Subaru WRX
20th March 2007, 18:04
lol an american who loves the v8 !!

harvick#1
20th March 2007, 18:32
yeah its odd ain't it :)

harvick#1
20th March 2007, 19:49
I'm flat through turn 1...about 190 if memory serves from practice...

190 :eek: I barely hit 175 before slowing for the hairpin

johnny shell
20th March 2007, 20:09
I'm with ya Harv. I don't see how they get to 190 either.

I don't even hit 180 by the hair pin. once it gets above 170 acceleration is VERY slow.

tannat
20th March 2007, 20:41
I'm getting high 160's on some not so great laps, but I haven't fiddled with the gearing yet.

Homer is probably carrying gobs of speed out of that last complex before the straight...

harvick#1
20th March 2007, 20:49
for me off that last turn, I sometimes got through at 115, but you slide the tires and lose momentum off the turn.

real_illusions
20th March 2007, 20:55
or he has a rocket up his arse :p :

just did my race and it was hopelessly pathetic and rubbish..didn;t even match my times i did in testing on default..

i think i shall consult thee wizard vuko of the v8's for some set up tips for the next few years ;)

Peter Vuko
20th March 2007, 21:21
This race is going to come down to right tyre choice. Medium tyres will give you good times for the first ten laps but then wear takes its toll! Select hard tyres & you will struggle to get the quick lap times early on but you will have better grip for later but traffic for the last 6 laps is endless. This is a difficult race!! With the fuel load & harder tyres the times will be much slower than qualifying. J.B 's prediction of a high 19 mins is very doubtful. To break 20 mins you need to average 1m.06.25 for every lap!! Very doubtful with all the factors mentioned above.

harvick#1
20th March 2007, 21:25
I wasn't even close to the 20 minute barrier

Brown, Jon Brow
20th March 2007, 22:08
This is a difficult race!! With the fuel load & harder tyres the times will be much slower than qualifying. J.B 's prediction of a high 19 mins is very doubtful. To break 20 mins you need to average 1m.06.25 for every lap!! Very doubtful with all the factors mentioned above.

Yeah that J.B is an idiot, I wouldn't listen to him. :p

I've just done my race and I went for tyres at about 75%. In superpole I betterd my personal best :D In the race I got in the mid 20second range but my last 5 or so laps were around 1.5 - 2 seconds slower than than by earlier ones. (partly due to traffic.)

On the first sweeping bend I was at around 177mph and on the rev-limiter at 184mph when in the slip-stream.

RaikkonenRules
20th March 2007, 22:56
Some fat git got me suspended from school today :mad: so I will have plenty of time to run my race tommorrow. :up:

Brown, Jon Brow
20th March 2007, 23:01
Some fat git got me suspended from school today :mad: so I will have plenty of time to run my race tommorrow. :up:

More info please :D :up:

real_illusions
20th March 2007, 23:25
school? whats that?

seems like ages since i've been..although its only about 4 years ago..i prefer work to school. (mainly because you get paid :p : ;) )

:)

I am evil Homer
21st March 2007, 09:15
Can't see 20 minutes being beaten at all with traffic and harder tyres. I went for harder tyres and yes the performance wasn't great for the first 6 or so laps but in latter hald of the race was great...lapping cars, getting a tow down the straight, ducking underneath into the hairpin :)

Great stuff :D

RaikkonenRules
21st March 2007, 15:26
More info please :D :up:

Ok this fat git started a fight with me and we got caught so we both got suspended :mad: hardly fair.

I am evil Homer
21st March 2007, 16:54
Sent my times to PV.

Very happy with the way things went (unless someone got into the 19s!!!), hard tyres meant lap times were a few seconds off my best, but I soon got into the swing.

Tyres held up brilliantly, traffic was more of an issue towards the end - few laps were at least 3-4 seconds off the best just making sure I could get the cars behind me.

Brown, Jon Brow
21st March 2007, 20:35
Ok this fat git started a fight with me and we got caught so we both got suspended :mad: hardly fair.

Did he start on you because you called him a fat git??

I was going to make a joke about you getting suspended because you made up answers for your maths homework..........but that might be tasteless? :dozey:

RaikkonenRules
21st March 2007, 21:05
Did he start on you because you called him a fat git??

I was going to make a joke about you getting suspended because you made up answers for your maths homework..........but that might be tasteless? :dozey:

:laugh: I'm sure people here don't take this that seriously surely :D

RaikkonenRules
21st March 2007, 21:54
Done my race. Somehow I was quicker in the early stages. :rolleyes:

tannat
22nd March 2007, 00:20
What's a git?

Peter Vuko
22nd March 2007, 08:17
I think it's a "pommy" term for an idiot! R/Rules, I'm a school teacher! I'm sure you got what you deserved - remember, teachers are never wrong!! Got some times in and it's going to be a pretty close battle. Remember times are due in on Sunday. It's time to "git" out of here!!!

I am evil Homer
22nd March 2007, 09:08
Yep "git" is an idiot :D

johnny shell
22nd March 2007, 12:14
did a trial run last night, and I was in the 1:08s (at best)

am I even going to have any competition?

is there at least a chance I won't finish last?

real_illusions
22nd March 2007, 12:17
Johnny - yup, you'll be with me again somewhere at the back like with FPA ;) :p :

johnny shell
22nd March 2007, 12:26
cool. that'll give me some motivation when I'm running my race......which will be on, coincidently, 100% hard tires!

I am evil Homer
22nd March 2007, 13:02
If you can run an average of mid 1:08s you'll be doing well I think - the traffic at the end is awful

johnny shell
22nd March 2007, 13:31
well hot damn. I know I won't average in the 1:08s... but at least I won't be running around so far behind everyone else that all I could ever hope to do was get a whiff of their exaust fumes every once in a while and maybe trade paint with a motored maestro as he came around to lap me.

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd March 2007, 14:09
johnny, when you get lapped by me, vuko and homer you could follow in our wheel tracks and learn where we are braking and what lines we are taking :p

harvick#1
22nd March 2007, 14:18
remember, teachers are never wrong!!

yep, some how they always are, even when they are wrong :p :

harvick#1
22nd March 2007, 14:29
I'm not feeling good about my times anymore :(

johnny shell
22nd March 2007, 14:40
I ran 1:08s at BEST. I was far from averaging them.

I can smell the blood now though. I'm like a shark. I'm going to have a hell of a race.

I wish I could say my goal was to finish on the lead lap. but I just don't think that's gonna happen just yet.

to be realistic, I think I'll stick with the "score points and don't finish last" goal that I almost met time

johnny shell
22nd March 2007, 14:46
and Mr B your just bitter because I made fun of beans on toast.

but I do wish I could learn your braking ponts and racing lines, even if I would have to swollow my pride to do so!

real_illusions
22nd March 2007, 14:52
most of my laps were in the 1:08's. So unless i got abducted by aliens and lost 4 hours of my life before been placed back on track, i might just finish ahead of you Johnny ;)

but i never met any back markers either..

tannat
22nd March 2007, 19:28
and Mr B your just bitter because I made fun of beans on toast.

but I do wish I could learn your braking ponts and racing lines, even if I would have to swollow my pride to do so!

Any way that you fast guys could post your telemetry files?
That would speak volumes....

RaikkonenRules
22nd March 2007, 20:48
It looks like I'm going to finish among Johnny and RI then and ahead of Harvick if his concerns are anything to go by :D

johnny shell
23rd March 2007, 11:29
harv and RI are both very solid mid-fielders.

I sure hope that I can narrow the gap from Adelaide run with them at Eastern Creek..... and I hope that you're park of the mix too, RR!

I think it's cool how in this series there's such close racing through out the whole field.

dcr22B
25th March 2007, 12:51
I'm just finished my race now and for some strange reason, I didn't catch any backmarkers despite travelling at what I considered a very quick pace. When I looked at the results at the edn, the car in last place finished 1m05s behind me so I must have just about catching them but I switched my mind off looking at the track map and just focussed on my own performance.

Think I might be on for a top 10 finish but I was flabbergasted by the practice times set by the frontrunners and know that I face an uphill struggle to have as good a year as '06!

Adam Sloma
25th March 2007, 14:47
I'm just done my race and it was more bad than I thought. I cant drive perfectly, when frame rate falls below 15 :mad: .

Peter Vuko
25th March 2007, 23:07
Times are due guys!! I'm still waiting for a number of times! I will give you until late Monday night - Aussie time! I have about 13- 14 times. That's about 6-7 down on last Rd! Come on don't pike out!!

dcr22B
26th March 2007, 08:51
Times are due guys!! I'm still waiting for a number of times! I will give you until late Monday night - Aussie time! I have about 13- 14 times. That's about 6-7 down on last Rd! Come on don't pike out!!

That amount of times you have in so far is good considering the fall-off towards the end of 2006.

Did a mini-test at Silverstone last night and I have only one thing to see, I LIKE IT!

chrisfinch
26th March 2007, 17:59
I'm ever so sorry Peter but I just didn't have the time to fo the race this time out. Plus I was so far off the pace when practicing it put me off.

I'll be back next week though.

johnny shell
26th March 2007, 18:07
13-14?

oh great!

that means I might not get points again!

come on guys. don't send in your times. you probably suck anyway. you know you're not going to win, so why bother?

if you have sent in your times, if they're more than 19 minutes, you're just going to look stupid. so write peter, and withdraw your times to save yourself the embarassment. just tell him you cheated and he'll give you a DNF instead. that's better than letting him post those sucky times that you submitted!

RaikkonenRules
26th March 2007, 20:20
13-14?

oh great!

that means I might not get points again!

come on guys. don't send in your times. you probably suck anyway. you know you're not going to win, so why bother?

if you have sent in your times, if they're more than 19 minutes, you're just going to look stupid. so write peter, and withdraw your times to save yourself the embarassment. just tell him you cheated and he'll give you a DNF instead. that's better than letting him post those sucky times that you submitted!

Yes don't cheat. It's really not worth it trust me. ;)

Peter Vuko
27th March 2007, 08:50
16 drivers made it to the grid at Eastern Ck for Rd 2 of the V8 Supercar series. Practice saw Vuko Snr the quickest but could he reproduce that during qualifying? This is how Qualifying ended up for the big race:

Qualifying Times
1.P.Vuko(H)...1m.04.88...5pts
2.Homer(F)....1m.05.09...4pts
3.S.Vuko(H)...1m.05.17...3pts
4.Muz(F).......1m.05.21...2pts
5.J.B.(F)........1m.05.30...1pt
6.A.Sloma(F)...1m.05.32
7.BobZee(F)....1m.05.36
8.pudlea(H).....1m.05.78
9.harvick(H)....1m.06.68
10.J.Shell(F)....1m.07.30
11.racer69(F)..1m.07.73
12.real_ill(H)...1m.07.92
13.dcr22B(F)...1m.08.02
14.R/Rules(H)..1m.08.55
15.Tannat(H)...1m.08.95
16.AlfaFan(?)...1m.09.83

The top 8 drivers only separated by .90s!! Vuko Snr the only driver to get into the 4's with a scorching lap! UK driver Homer showing he means business joining the Aussie on the front grid. The eye catching performance coming from new comer pudlea, managing to get into the 5's & take 8th position.

Peter Vuko
27th March 2007, 09:26
The 18 lapper was a beauty with J.B, Vuko Jnr & Sloma showing the way but this race was going to come down to tyre choice & tyre wear !! Who could best preserve their tyres? Some drivers opted for too soft a tyre & found the latter part of the race difficult. In the end it was the Ford of Muz that prevailed, just ahead of a fast finishing Vuko Snr. The two outstanding drives of the day belonging to J.B. & pudlea both showing they can mix it with the best. Some very close results - BobZee pipping Vuko Jnr into 4th place by only .022s. & dcr22B pipping real_ illusions into 10th spot by .012s.

Here is how they crossed the finish line:
1.Muz.......20m.10s.....30pts
2.P.Vuko...20m.13s.....26pts
3.J.B........20m.16s......24pts
4.BobZee..20m.18.46...22pts
5.S.Vuko...20m.18.66...20pts
6.pudlea....20m.20s......18pts
7.Homer....20m.23s......16pts
8.A.Sloma..20m.26s......14pts
9.harvick...20m.42s......12pts
10.dcr22B..20m.45.79....10pts
11.real_ill...20m.45.91.....8pts
12.J.Shell...20m.53s........6pts
13.R/Rules..20m.55s........4pts
14.tannat...21m.03s........2pts
15.racer69..21m.16s.........1pt
16.AlfaFan..22m.05s.........0pts

I will put up the current pts later - it is very interesting at the top & middle!!

I am evil Homer
27th March 2007, 09:33
Knew I had the pace alright...but that damn traffic at the end - if i'd been a bit more Aryton Senna than Jenson Button I think i'd have made the podium.

Oh well. Nice to see such competition - this season is going to be very close :)

Peter Vuko
27th March 2007, 10:21
Here are the current standings after Rd 2:

V8 SUPERCAR STANDINGS after RD 2:
1.Vuko Jnr ....58pts
2.Vuko Snr....56pts
3.Muz...........53pts
4.BobZee......52pts
5.Homer........44pts
6.J.B............41pts
7.Sloma.........34pts
8.pudlea........26pts
9.dcr22B........22pts
10.real_ill.......18pts
....harvick......18pts
12.Mixa..........14pts
13.J.Shell.........6pts
14.racer69........5pts
15.tannat.........4pts
....R/Rules........4pts
16.maxu05........0pts
....c8nay..........0pts
....S.Kumar.......0pts
...C.Finch.........0pts
..S.Spackman....0pts
...AlfaFan.........0pts
Fastest Race Laps: 1.Homer 1m.06.26.. 2.pudlea 1m.06.35..3.Vuko Jnr 1m.06.40..4.Muz 1m.06.47..5.J.B..1m.06.48..6.Vuko Snr 1m.06.52..7.Sloma 1m.06.68..8.B.Zee 1m.06.71...9.dcr22B..1m.07.77..10.harvick 1m.07.83.

Vuko Jnr holding onto a slender lead. Under the new pts system things can change a lot in one Rd. This is a very competitive field. Already there have been different winners & pole sitters for each race. There is not much between the top 9-10 drivers. Next Rd is History making as we go International for the first time this year - to "pommy" land at Silverstone. This event will feature a handicap system which will give some of the less performing drivers a better chance of picking up pts. More on this in the Rd's preview late this week.

dcr22B
27th March 2007, 11:04
Just about made the top 10 which is what I was half expecting!

Brown, Jon Brow
27th March 2007, 11:33
My first V8 podium. :D Only 3 seconds off the reigning champ is not too bad.

Lets hope that I can claim my 1st V8 win in my home-land.

johnny shell
27th March 2007, 13:23
harvick, dcr, real illusions... you better watch it!

I had TWO trips to the grass as my tires were wearing en route to my 13th place finish! if I had had time to try again, I would have had a real good chance at a top-10 finish!

I'm chomping at your rear wings! chomping at 'em!!!

I just might be leading the mid-field charge next time!

or not :wave:

dcr22B
27th March 2007, 14:00
harvick, dcr, real illusions... you better watch it!

I had TWO trips to the grass as my tires were wearing en route to my 13th place finish! if I had had time to try again, I would have had a real good chance at a top-10 finish!

I'm chomping at your rear wings! chomping at 'em!!!

I just might be leading the mid-field charge next time!

or not :wave:

Bring it on Johnny, my time wasn't without incident either!

I am evil Homer
27th March 2007, 14:06
Looking forward to "pommy land" next :D

harvick#1
27th March 2007, 14:26
Bring it on Johnny, my time wasn't without incident either!

same here, I had some bad turns when the tires were worn down and lost quite a bit of speed.

but I won the race of the second pack :D along with beating Tannat and Johnny only making it sweeter :D

harvick#1
27th March 2007, 14:31
My first V8 podium. :D Only 3 seconds off the reigning champ is not too bad.

well done :D :up:

congrats Muz on the win also :D :up:

and to be less than a half of a lap behind makes me fell alittle better about what I can do

and damn no one ran under 20minutes I really wanted to see an argue

I can't wait to get to Mazda Raceway and be back on my homeland, you think some of your tracks are tough, wait for the Corkscrew

johnny shell
27th March 2007, 14:51
yeah, well done harv. leading the second pack is no small accomplishment. I know you worked hard for it and really deserve it.

wow, and virtually the entire field finished on the lead lap! that's some tight racing!

Alfa Fan
27th March 2007, 15:45
I was in the #9 Stone Brothers Ford Falcon btw. I had to make a pitstop on lap 9 so that added about 30 seconds. I'm too hard on the tyres...

I am evil Homer
27th March 2007, 16:00
Should have chosen a harder compound - best way to do that is to do a practice race of half the distance on defualt and see how warn they are....then choose a much harder compound. You won't be as fast out the blocks but on a lot of circuits you won't lose anything like as much time as pitting.

harvick#1
27th March 2007, 16:52
I should've too, through 13 or so laps I was fine, but then I was hanging on for dear life, I was losing quite a bit of time being on the worn tires.

Alfa Fan
27th March 2007, 17:04
I'm the Marcus Marshall/Jose Fernandez of this series.

johnny shell
27th March 2007, 17:16
I went with 90% hard and slid off the track twice in the closing laps.

I think I could have held on though, had I been smoother.

what did you all use?

harvick#1
27th March 2007, 17:19
I had 56 and 108% for both front and rear

RaikkonenRules
27th March 2007, 18:08
My tyres were absolutely appaling towards the end. I was sliding around everywhere with a couple of spins. :(

Think I had default tyre setting. Big mistake :(

Brown, Jon Brow
27th March 2007, 19:49
I think my extra pace is down to the new set-up I tried on the car. I finally got the car to have good 'turn-in' and oversteer mid corner, like the DTM & Clio Cup cars do. So hopefully I'll be on the same pace as Vuko and Muz as I am in those other touring cars :)

I had 75% hard tyres. But in the early stages I made sure I stayed off the rumble strips as they can really knacker them. Towards the end of the race the tyres were yellowey and it got quite fun through the flat-out S-bends in the middle sector. :D

If you have time there is an experiment you can try out to see how the rumble strips damage the tyres. Go to Hockenhiem in the DTM's and set your tyre compound to 0% Stay off the kerbs for the whole lap apart for the long straight before the hairpin. Run your left hand tyres on the intire length of rumble strip on the left of the straight.(keep the right wheels on the track) See how fast the deteriorate ;)

Peter Vuko
27th March 2007, 23:03
A great race guys - battles all over the place. I was happy with 2nd spot. I knew when tyre wear was going to be an issue that Muz would be hard to beat. I was really happy with pole - being the only driver to make it into the 4's! I used 80% tyres in the race & they were quite yellow by end of lap 15, although I did manage a 1m.06 on lap 16 using some slipstream. The F/L are interesting viewing - the top 3 times did not make it to the podium - again tyre choice - probably too soft a choice. Stay tuned for the next Rd preview.

harvick#1
28th March 2007, 00:18
I think its time for some of you guys to turn to real racing ;)