PDA

View Full Version : New Track Layout for Edmonton....

Mark in Oshawa
8th February 2011, 23:11
Well, after seeing the new track map, I am thinking we will see a radically different race at Edmonton this year......

Check it out: http://indycar.com:8080/var/assets/edmontonnew.pdf

Basically I am the opinion that no matter what, I will watch to see how this more tight and unusual track pans out. I think there will be a lot less room to work with....

DBell
9th February 2011, 01:30
Anyone know what the length of this layout is? It's hard to judge a layout until it is raced, but I'm not sure it's going to produce a lot of passing. Turns 6 through 11 looks like a Tilke job. Maybe it would be better to run the track in reverse as having a longer straight leading up to what is turn 13 probably would make for a better passing area. But I suppose I should reserve judgment until it is raced.

nigelred5
9th February 2011, 01:31
Interesting layout. 2.25 miles I believe the story said.

Something's wrong with their pdf of the course, but I get the picture from the main story. Tony's really trying to improve some of the race layouts.

Lousada
9th February 2011, 12:45
The long straights with the hairpins look very "Sao-Paulo-esque". Hopefully the race will be just as exciting as Brazil last year. There appear to be passing zones at 1, 5 and 13 which is pretty good for a road course.

wedge
9th February 2011, 13:33
Anyone know what the length of this layout is? It's hard to judge a layout until it is raced, but I'm not sure it's going to produce a lot of passing. Turns 6 through 11 looks like a Tilke job. Maybe it would be better to run the track in reverse as having a longer straight leading up to what is turn 13 probably would make for a better passing area. But I suppose I should reserve judgment until it is raced.

I agree that the track looks more interesting running clockwise making pit straight better for slipstreaming and the hairpin a good spot for overtaking.

6-11 is just brilliant. No way is it a Tilke job. It is sequence Tilke lacks in his designs - Riverside had the Esses; Suzuka has its Esses, Silverstone has the Maggots complex. They're technical corners which you have to get your line right and carry sufficient speed into corners, and its a awesome sight to see cars (preferably in a train) snake round.

Chamoo
9th February 2011, 13:57
I agree that the track looks more interesting running clockwise making pit straight better for slipstreaming and the hairpin a good spot for overtaking.

6-11 is just brilliant. No way is it a Tilke job. It is sequence Tilke lacks in his designs - Riverside had the Esses; Suzuka has its Esses, Silverstone has the Maggots complex. They're technical corners which you have to get your line right and carry sufficient speed into corners, and its a awesome sight to see cars (preferably in a train) snake round.

I think 6-11 will do a good job of keeping the cars close together bringing them to the hair pin at turn 13.

Chris R
9th February 2011, 15:28
I like it - it looks like you can see the majority of the track from any given seating area - which is a real problem with many courses.....

mike15
9th February 2011, 16:26
The new layout should produce better racing BUT the location of the pits will be the same problem Cleveland had for years, the fans could not see the pit action. When Cleveland moved the pits to the other side of the track it was a 100% improvement. They also built a bridge for pit pass access. But what was also great in Cleveland when they did this, it created excellent track side viewing in turn one and out of the S's. When Cleveland went to standing starts there was not a better location in racing than standing at the fence in turn one.

slorydn1
15th February 2011, 20:37
Im ashamed to say that I only saw the last two races at Edmonton so I'm having trouble picturing the whole layout of the track the way it was, but it looks like they did away with that farce at turn 1 which caused all the consternation last year, so that would make it a definite improvement in my book :up:

Mr. Mister
16th February 2011, 00:57
I really like the new layout, though I suppose my concern would be the close proximity of the 2-3 and 8-9-10 complexes. I assume (and hope) there will be a barrier between those sections?