PDA

View Full Version : The Most Challenging Corners in F1

ShiftingGears
15th March 2007, 09:16
Title says it all really, name what you think are the most challenging corners ever in F1, and a reason why.
I'll start...
Masta Kink - Spa Francorchamps - A lightning fast left-right kink between two buildings with an approaching speed of 170 Mph - no margin for error and will test drivers bravery, skill and determination to the limit in a split second. A good exit speed was necessary for the long Hollowell Straight following the corner. Very fearsome and seperated the men from the boys.

Arumberg - Nurburgring - Another corner with no room for error, a tight righthander prededed by a quick lefthand kink over a rise in the road. Very challenging, and also very dangerous.

Turn 2 - Mosport Park - A fast undulating sweeper with a blind apex. Requires complete commitment.
Continue :p :

zoostation
15th March 2007, 17:47
old tamburello

eau rouge

130r

i guess stowe at silverstone before it was altered was pretty darn challenging

futuretiger9
15th March 2007, 21:59
Woodcote, Silverstone, pre-1975.

130r, Suzuka

Eau Rouge, Spa

Junskei Sweep, Kyalami

Bosch Kurve, Osterreichring

sonic_roadhog
15th March 2007, 22:59
Paddock Hill - Brands Hatch. Made even more brilliant because its still largely unmolested (as long as you don't drive on Mr Palmer's precious green paint). Blind, curving bumpy approach, leading into an off camber plunge over the top. Only the brave gain time here.

Sonic :)

ClarkFan
17th March 2007, 00:03
theugsquirrel, you even undersold the Masta Kink a little. Rob Walker talked with Chris Amon after the 1970 race, and Amon told him that he was going through Masta flat out in top gear (in Walker's race report in Road & Track). Based on the gear ratios and tire sizes on Amon's March, Walker estimated that Amon was going through the kink at about 190mph. This in a car trimmed for low downforce (and using only old style front and rear wings), with tires that were hard enough to run the whole race without changing. :eek:

ClarkFan

Erki
20th March 2007, 16:21
Wasn't Masta Kink the place that Hans-Joachim Stuck was warned of before his stint during the Spa 24h 1970(?) that there are body parts on the road?

jens
20th March 2007, 21:53
In PC games Acque Minerale feels like one of the most challenging ones. :p :

DazzlaF1
21st March 2007, 00:35
No-ones mentioned this but how about the Hella-Licht turn at the old Osterreichring, before they put the chicane there.

D-Type
25th March 2007, 00:55
Eau Rouge
Downhill, a left that unsettles the car followed by a hard right as the road climbs. although it has been eased considerably in recent years it is still one of the ost challenging bends. Just refer to many drivers comments on it.

Pre-chicane Woodcote
For the levels of downforce and grip at the time, this was absolutely at the limit of a car's cornering capabilities and speed through Woodcote wa a meaure of a driver's skill

futuretiger9
25th March 2007, 10:47
Pre-chicane Woodcote
For the levels of downforce and grip at the time, this was absolutely at the limit of a car's cornering capabilities and speed through Woodcote wa a meaure of a driver's skill

For evidence of this, just check out footage of the 1973 British GP, in particular Ronnie Peterson in the Lotus 72.

D-Type
25th March 2007, 23:00
I forgot to say that the reason they introduced the chicane was the concern that a car going off could fly into the crowd which would have been a disaster that eclipsed Le Mans 1955. Just see film of of Ronnie Petersongoing through there and you'll understand why they were worried!

Erki
26th March 2007, 00:04
Can I see it on youtube/google or somewhere?

ShiftingGears
26th March 2007, 10:30
Erki, I've only seen pictures of Peterson through the old Woodcote in January's Edition of F1 Racing,the title of the issue being "The Quick List: THe 50 fastest F1 drivers ever" have you seen photos of it?

ShiftingGears
26th March 2007, 10:57
EDIT: On closer inspection I don't think the picture is from Woodcote at all. Ooops :p :

Bolton Midnight
31st March 2007, 14:11
Stowe at Silverstone, where Senna was one of the few to take it flat

Tarzan at Zandvort, rewarded the brave late breakers with an overtaking opportunity, remember them, overtaking manovoures?

Ditto Signes at Paul Ricard.

Dingle Dell at Brands, nice to see F1 cars getting air.