PDA

View Full Version : Force India and Virgin Launch Thread

DazzlaF1
5th February 2011, 11:24
Apart from Hispania (Who launch at the final test in Bahrain), these are the only 2 left. Virgin launch their VR-02 at the BBC TV Centre on Monday and Force India have also announced that instead of originally planning to launch the VJM-04 at the Jerez test, instead it'll be online via their website on Tuesday

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89308

Sonic
5th February 2011, 12:19
I'm probably most intrigued to see the Virgin of those two. Can they hold onto the coat tails of Team Lotus or will the B class teams be down to two this season?

Norwegian Blue
5th February 2011, 12:27
Are Virgin sticking to CFD this season?

Sonic
5th February 2011, 12:42
Very much so. They've spent mega bucks on a huge super computer to do the math for them.

Norwegian Blue
5th February 2011, 13:16
Could be a real meaningful year for that approach if they have some pace!

Tazio
5th February 2011, 13:49
:kiss: . :kiss: . :kiss: . :kiss:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Yjpc_eruYBo/TU1AoBbHsEI/AAAAAAAAKOo/HgFBNYKIt3Q/s1600/findia.jpg

Sleeper
5th February 2011, 16:23
I'm probably most intrigued to see the Virgin of those two. Can they hold onto the coat tails of Team Lotus or will the B class teams be down to two this season?

I suspect Lotus will leave them behind, Wirth seems to be the only person that believes CFD can handle the exceptionally complex aero modelling without a windtunnel to corelate the data.

Sonic
5th February 2011, 17:01
I suspect Lotus will leave them behind, Wirth seems to be the only person that believes CFD can handle the exceptionally complex aero modelling without a windtunnel to corelate the data.

In the automotive world perhaps. But I think I am right in saying that Scaled Composites (makers of spaceship one and now virgin galactic's spaceship two - VSS Enterprise) didn't once go within spitting distance of a wind tunnel, designed exclusively on computers. So there is a precedence for this technology allowing the little guys to take on the big cheese on equal footings.

steveaki13
5th February 2011, 20:12
Look forward to seeing Virgins new design and as said seeing if they can keep up with Team Lotus and attach to the mid field.

Malbec
5th February 2011, 22:45
In the automotive world perhaps. But I think I am right in saying that Scaled Composites (makers of spaceship one and now virgin galactic's spaceship two - VSS Enterprise) didn't once go within spitting distance of a wind tunnel, designed exclusively on computers. So there is a precedence for this technology allowing the little guys to take on the big cheese on equal footings.

But Virgin still aren't spending as much on CFD as any of the big hitters, or if I'm not mistaken as much as most of the midfield players either. I'm not expecting them to keep up with Lotus (either of them!) this year. Still, with Marussia on board I think they'll be turning a small profit which was what their real aim was anyway.

Sonic
6th February 2011, 09:15
I've no idea how much they are spending on CFD TBH but I do remember reading, around the time of Marussia's investment in the team, that they were building a state of the art facility - 3rd largest in the world if I remember correctly - and that ain't going to come cheap.

ArrowsFA1
6th February 2011, 11:36
Well, in Valencia last week Timo Glock, in the 2010 Virgin, was a mere 0.2s slower than Massa's 2011 Ferrari ;)

DazzlaF1
6th February 2011, 18:29
Well, in Valencia last week Timo Glock, in the 2010 Virgin, was a mere 0.2s slower than Massa's 2011 Ferrari ;)

And that from what I heard had quite a few 2011 components on it

steveaki13
6th February 2011, 20:11

And that from what I heard had quite a few 2011 components on it

So with the complete 2011 car Virgin should be lapping the field ;)

Seriously though it would be great to see Virgin and Team Lotus catch and hopefully mix it with the pack.

As for HRT I can't see them being much faster in comparison to other teams than last year. However I hope I am proved wrong.

Sleeper
6th February 2011, 23:48

And I bet they spent a hell of a lot more than £40million, Virgins total budget, on the facilities, the R&D and and the development of the simulation softwere, not to mentiopn they would have had a lead time of years, far longer than any F1 car ever gets. Chalk and cheese comparison.

Sonic
7th February 2011, 08:24
And I bet they spent a hell of a lot more than £40million, Virgins total budget, on the facilities, the R&D and and the development of the simulation softwere, not to mentiopn they would have had a lead time of years, far longer than any F1 car ever gets. Chalk and cheese comparison.

You may be right, certainly on the lead time and familiarity with the software, but a quick google search suggests a budget of around the $25 million mark. How accurate that is I've no idea, but my guess is it can't be far off the mark - the X prize was only $10 million so its already a pretty big budget shortfall for a small private company to find.

Chalk and cheese? Definitely. But there are no other automotive examples - and that's kind of the point.

Azumanga Davo
7th February 2011, 11:24
http://marussiavirginracing.com/car/265/inside-the-mvr-02

It's quite simplistic at best, which might bode well for them. I'll say one thing though, it's a very tidy and elegant looking car, that's for sure.

RS
7th February 2011, 12:32
http://marussiavirginracing.com/car/265/inside-the-mvr-02

I'll say one thing though, it's a very tidy and elegant looking car, that's for sure.

I agree, as was last years. Much prettier than the ugly gangster batmobile Red Bull thing, although I am not sure that will reflect in speed on the track!

Sonic
7th February 2011, 13:02
A logical progression from lasts years car incorporating many of the themes of the last 18 months. It's interesting that they alone have gone for a reasonably low nose - is that the computers talking or simply a simple difference of design philosophy?

Sleeper
7th February 2011, 14:43
I do like the look of the Virgin, but it is a very simple looking car compared to the Renault, Red Bull and especially the McLaren. I cant see this getting too much farther up the grid than the 01 did.

harvick#1
7th February 2011, 16:16
looks like a cheap version of the RB6

steveaki13
7th February 2011, 17:43
Not too bad but lets hope they provide Virgin with the step forward they need.

DazzlaF1
7th February 2011, 18:53
Not too bad but lets hope they provide Virgin with the step forward they need.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/virgmvr.jpg

Taking a close look at it, you can easily tell the differences. The front wing clearly looks its been inspired by Red Bull, they've gone with the pull-rod rear suspension idea and the sidepods look like they've been given a better aero makeover compared to last year. Plus overall I think its one very pretty car.

One concern I have is (like Team Lotus and probably also Hispania) they will not be using KERS, citing costs of developing it as the reason

gloomyDAY
7th February 2011, 19:45
looks like a cheap version of the RB6Not at all. I think it looks great!

I'm also delighted that they're not using KERS. Yes, Virgin are not using KERS because it's cost-prohibitive, but that just makes this car less artificial. ;)