PDA

View Full Version : i need help with some terminology and physics.

1800iamdumb
4th February 2011, 02:40
Ok, so my question is if i were to drive a car then hit a sharp turn and, without taking my foot off the gas, turn in to it, A. what would that be called, and B. is it physically possible to make the turn? Also can this be done at higher speeds with out ill effect?

I have very little experiance with cars, I don't even drive, so if you could use layman's terms that would be much appreciated.

Why im asking. my friend has a junk car he heavily reinforced and wants to try it next week. he plans to try on his uncle landing strip ie loosely paved dirt.

Mark
4th February 2011, 07:36
It's called turning a corner? The max speed entirely depends on the available grip.

MrJan
4th February 2011, 09:55
Not really sure I understand what you mean. As Mark says the maximum speed that you can turn a corner all depends on grip, if you hit a ton and then wind on the lock all that will happen is you'll either spin or the car will follow a long arc. It's all about centrifugal force, innit.

Mark
4th February 2011, 09:58
A basic understanding of Newtonian mechanics helps.

MrJan
4th February 2011, 09:59
A basic understanding of Newtonian mechanics helps.

I know a few Devonian mechanics, do you reckon they'll be able to help?

Mark
4th February 2011, 10:00
No :mark:

Retro Formula 1
4th February 2011, 10:19
If you find that the car carries straight on and crashes when you turn the wheel, then you're going too fast.

Simples

Mark
4th February 2011, 10:33
If you find that the car carries straight on and crashes when you turn the wheel, then you're going too fast.

That'll be understeer then :p

Daniel
4th February 2011, 10:36

You can still oversteer off the track in a straight line :p

Retro Formula 1
4th February 2011, 10:40

Just swap the front and back tyres. That'll sort it :D

Dave B
4th February 2011, 10:55
What does Vicki Butler-Henderson have to say on the subject? :p

Retro Formula 1
4th February 2011, 10:56
What does Vicki Butler-Henderson have to say on the subject? :p

She said speak to KwikFit :D

Sonic
4th February 2011, 11:36
A it's called suicide
B no. You'll finish the turn as a fireball going backwards thru the gates of hell

Roamy
4th February 2011, 12:37
you are Toooooo Dumb

Tazio
4th February 2011, 14:19
i need help with some terminology and physics.

Mark is this your idea of thanking us for wishing you a happy birthday?
1800 I am dumb? At least you are getting a little creative. :dozey: :)

schmenke
4th February 2011, 15:03
Ok, so my question is if i were to drive a car then hit a sharp turn and, without taking my foot off the gas, turn in to it, A. what would that be called, and B. is it physically possible to make the turn? Also can this be done at higher speeds with out ill effect?

I have very little experiance with cars, I don't even drive, so if you could use layman's terms that would be much appreciated.

Why im asking. my friend has a junk car he heavily reinforced and wants to try it next week. he plans to try on his uncle landing strip ie loosely paved dirt.

YouTube please! :D

Daniel
4th February 2011, 15:05
YouTube please! :D

I sense a Darwin Award nominee......

billiaml
4th February 2011, 15:06
I second schmenke's request. Those vids are always fun to watch when it involves someone else's car.

fandango
4th February 2011, 15:38
I tell you what, go ahead and do it. Wear a helmet and all necessary safety gear. Take photos and video and let us all know how you got on...

1800iamdumb
5th February 2011, 03:59
this is his plan of attack. hit 70mph going ia a strait line. with out taking his foot off the gas turn the front axis 90 degrees. My theory the car turns 90 can't hold the grip and roll a couple of times he get a concution his uncle beat him senseless we both clean up the mess. my friend put in a roll cage and safety harnesses in. i wanted a second opinion with out infuncing yours. thanks. i really like sonic's answer thats what i said.

Jag_Warrior
5th February 2011, 04:31
Have you met Wade yet?

I'm guessing he's already done this a time or ten, so he could probably tell you how it's going to turn out.

Daniel
5th February 2011, 08:21
this is his plan of attack. hit 70mph going ia a strait line. with out taking his foot off the gas turn the front axis 90 degrees. My theory the car turns 90 can't hold the grip and roll a couple of times he get a concution his uncle beat him senseless we both clean up the mess. my friend put in a roll cage and safety harnesses in. i wanted a second opinion with out infuncing yours. thanks. i really like sonic's answer thats what i said.

The front wheels don't turn 90 degrees on any car.......

Tazio
5th February 2011, 08:42
this is his plan of attack. thanks. i really like sonic's answer thats what i said.

Talk is cheap! Get on with it man!
Maybe you could add a little extra risk by including something like this into the equation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeRghYqi090&feature=player_embedded

It's totaly doable bro! Unless you're chicken :down:

fandango
5th February 2011, 10:09
The front wheels don't turn 90 degrees on any car.......

Well, they're not supposed to... ;)

donKey jote
5th February 2011, 16:03
Maybe he's driving a shopping trolley :p

driveace
5th February 2011, 16:26
They used to turn nearly 80 degrees on a Triumph Herald,which was rear wheel drive.usually the more power front wheel drive cars have to put through the drive shafts ,the larger the drive shafts have to be,which then restricts the amount of lock,that they can achieve.

Sonic
5th February 2011, 17:11
Talk is cheap! Get on with it man!
Maybe you could add a little extra risk by including something like this into the:

PML :D

You're so gonna end up on the news when this kid ends up in a ditch! I can see it now "Youth egged on to his death by cruel forumers"

Jag_Warrior
5th February 2011, 17:30
PML :D

You're so gonna end up on the news when this kid ends up in a ditch! I can see it now "Youth egged on to his death by cruel forumers"

You mean we could use this kid to get ourselves on the news? Heck, we might even get interviewed (by the police, if not reporters). I say, go for it, kid! But give me a day's notice... I need to get a haircut before my 15 minutes of fame starts!

Sonic
5th February 2011, 18:28
You mean we could use this kid to get ourselves on the news? Heck, we might even get interviewed (by the police, if not reporters). I say, go for it, kid! But give me a day's notice... I need to get a haircut before my 15 minutes of fame starts!

Good point. I'll need to shave and find a bottle of back to black :D

slorydn1
5th February 2011, 19:05
Sounds to me like he would pick up a bit of a push, followed by a sudden snap to loose, followed by a sudden barrel roll, then a huge fire ball. Oh yeah, do make sure you get it on video tape and immediately post it on youtube-I'll supply the popcorn and Budweiser for the viewing! :beer:

Make sure your friend has two of these :beer: and 1 of these :s mokin: before he attempts it. It could be his last.

1800iamdumb
5th February 2011, 20:51
he won't let me tape him the first go round. But he claims it will work and that i can tape him the second. he is such a douche i should but i will respect his pride and over inflated ego. I will talk to in about 3 days about what happened wish us luck.

MrJan
6th February 2011, 14:11
Has no one mentioned the fact that it takes a fair bit of effort to get to full lock? He won't actually be able to turn in quickly enough to get the wheels from pointing forward to full lock.

Daniel
6th February 2011, 14:23
Has no one mentioned the fact that it takes a fair bit of effort to get to full lock? He won't actually be able to turn in quickly enough to get the wheels from pointing forward to full lock.

Well I suspect the most experience these people have is playing Gran Turismo on their PS3 or Forza 3 on a 360......

donKey jote
6th February 2011, 15:09
he said 90°... I reckon he meant the steering wheel :p

Valve Bounce
6th February 2011, 21:30

Just stick to your tricycle for the time being. :p :

Mark
7th February 2011, 08:10
he said 90°... I reckon he meant the steering wheel :p

He'll probably just end up turning left, and that'll be it :p

Tazio
25th February 2011, 23:08
I'm still waiting to hear how this worked out for you little buddy! :confused: :s mokin: