PDA

View Full Version : A way to bring back non-championship grands prix?

cosmicpanda
3rd February 2011, 09:47
Everybody knows that there are more tracks than places available on the calendar. Everybody also knows that the teams want to test in the middle of the season, but aren't allowed to (and quite frankly, on the evidence, that's working out fine so far). Teams are thus forced to test at race weekends. Finally, fans want to see some of the great old tracks back, and are also curious to see how an F1 car would go on one of the newer tracks not on the calendar.

Perhaps extra, non-compulsory and non-championship race weekends could be held at some of the forgotten tracks? Could be a way to get tracks like Imola back, would give fans in the places concerned something to cheer about, and would give the teams a chance for more testing. Since it's non-championship and all, it would even give reserve drivers and rookies a chance. Another consideration is that it could be a way of getting around the issue of more than one championship grand prix per country.

Obviously, too many of these each year and the idea would fall flat. Also, the cost is to be considered; some teams might not want to attend, but that's why I say not compulsory. And, of course, it'll never happen, but I can dream...

AndyL
3rd February 2011, 12:26
Perhaps replace the end-of-season "young drivers" test with a young drivers race weekend?

And a mid-season "official reserve drivers" race would show up those reserve drivers who aren't up to the job.

As you say, just a dream :s nore:

wedge
3rd February 2011, 13:08
And, of course, it'll never happen, but I can dream...

Keep dreaming son, stay dreaming

Sonic
3rd February 2011, 13:43
It's a nice thought.

MAX_THRUST
3rd February 2011, 22:33
Ok so its a dream, but I think fans would love it and so would the drivers. I honestly believe the races would be more exciting as it would not effect any championship standings. They would all be going for it big time and to some extent the races could end up being more popular. Down side would be they could just use it as a test session, and that could be really dull.

Rollo
3rd February 2011, 22:56
The FIA wouldn't allow such a thing as it would constitute extra testing days effectively. Then there is the added problem of shifting said cars around the world, which mightn't be such of a problem in Europe but to a flyaway destination, there'd be little to no benefit in doing so.
Would the track have to be up to FIA standards?

I don't think that it's like the 50s and 60s anymore, in that the whole logistics of moving around the F1 circus and whatnot would just make the idea completely unfeasible; especially if there's no payoff for doing so.

Mark
4th February 2011, 07:32
Back in the day there weren't many GPs hence non championship races were feasible. But with 20 races on the calendar there just isn't room in the year for non-championship races too.

TheFamousEccles
4th February 2011, 07:42
Perhaps replace the end-of-season "young drivers" test with a young drivers race weekend?

And a mid-season "official reserve drivers" race would show up those reserve drivers who aren't up to the job.

As you say, just a dream :s nore:

I like those ideas, particularly the mid-season reserve/friday drivers race - maybe the lead drivers could sub as the friday guy!!!!! just an idea..

Mark
4th February 2011, 09:46
I don't know about a race, but I'd support more and longer session on a Friday, but only allow the reserve drivers in the cars!

Dave B
4th February 2011, 10:34
Holding an extra race at an unused track simply adds cost and logistical problems for very little return - the teams would much rather have an unrestricted test. Far better to use the Thursday before, or the Monday after, a race weekend to stage extra testing; ideally with rookie or reserve drivers.

Mark
4th February 2011, 13:35
Indeed. Having a test session on Monday, in which none of the drivers who competed in the weekends race are allowed to drive, would be a good idea!

Obviously this can't be at every track, and shouldn't be. But at the likes of Silverstone, Barcelona etc, why not!

NaBUru38
6th February 2011, 00:04
there are more tracks than places available on the calendar
The best way to solve that is to rotate venues. Not Monaco, Interlagos, Monza or Spa, but the rest. Hungary and Russia. India and China. Singapore and South Korea. Bahrain and Abu Dhabi.

Not only we get rid of some of the boredromes, each race gets an increased value for the fans. If South Koreans know that the next edition will be in two years, people would be encouraged not to miss this one.