PDA

View Full Version : How long until China builds an F1 car?

Rollo
2nd February 2011, 00:28
After reading this quote, I thought that this warranted a new thread:

I think it was quite an easy decision for him after China busted the wall down.

Just how long will it be before there is a Chinese F1 team?

I imagine that China will want to showcase its ability to build cars on the world stage at some point, and considering that F1 is potentially the biggest audience in which to do that in front of, then surely it's inevitable isn't it?
Geely has already gone Touring Car racing domestically, and there is a thing (which I know very little about) called The Asian Geely Formula International Open. Then I found this little beauty:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3365/3472432807_1ac80278b9_o.jpg

Am I clutching at straws here, or should we expect in time a full on effort from someone in China?

nigelred5
2nd February 2011, 01:31
Will it be a stolen design constructed of lead based paint, substandard steel, pot metal and injection molded plastic? ;)

AGF runs a VanDemien chassis with a 1.8l geely engine. They needed something domestic to justify building Shanghai.

Mark
2nd February 2011, 12:12
An F1 team actually based in China? Hmm, not at the moment, they don't have the expertise there to build up a competitive F1 team from scratch. They could of course hire from existing teams, but it's still very difficult. F1 teams tending to cluster around the South East of England is for good reason, they have all the expertise, not just from their own staff but from suppliers etc, right there.

I am evil Homer
2nd February 2011, 12:21
I could definitely see a chinese backer buying into an existing F1 team - Sauber, STR, Williams are all possibilities with a solid base but bigger potential. Starting a team from scratch would be a huge ask, although with their skilled engineering grads it's beyond the realms of possibility.

Sonic
2nd February 2011, 13:32
It will happen but not for several years, maybe decades. What can be said with a fair amount of certainty is that as and when they do commit to doing it they will go the full hog and do it properly. The population are also hugely enthusiastic and embrace new sports (especially when they have a top flight competitor), just look at the viewing figures for the Oz open when they had their first finalist!

I am evil Homer
2nd February 2011, 14:41
They said that about Chinese products and Chinese banks and yet here they are buying up US firms already so I think it would happen sooner rather than later...plus you know Bernie would love a Chinese team in F1 - does the marketing for him!

SGWilko
2nd February 2011, 15:02
Trouble is, they's always one to finish in eighth position.......