PDA

View Full Version : Conway to Andretti Autosport in 2011

jwhite9185
1st February 2011, 18:13
Mike Conway will be Andretti Autosports 4th driver this year according to his twitter.

Mikeconwayirl
Big News....Will be racing for Andretti Autosport for the full 2011 season! @FollowAndretti

domaza
1st February 2011, 18:14
From twitter:

Mikeconwayirl Michael conway by Andretti26
Big News....Will be racing for Andretti Autosport for the full 2011 season! @FollowAndretti
15 minutes ago

domaza
1st February 2011, 18:28
With such headlines (or the lack of them) this forum will be soon dead ...

domaza
1st February 2011, 20:18
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89221 - official

DanicaFan
1st February 2011, 21:24
Yep he will be there this year. Good news for Mike and Andretti. Now that he is with a top notch team, he will do even better.

anthonyvop
1st February 2011, 21:34
WoooooHoooo....Another ride buyer!!!

Mike is a nice guy but has he ever been anything but mediocre? 3 years of GP2 with only one win in a sprint race(He started from the pole by finishing 8th in the feature.) In the ICS he managed 1 podium over a season and a 1/3.

beachgirl
1st February 2011, 23:08
But, but, but.....he's HOT!

anthonyvop
2nd February 2011, 00:30
But, but, but.....he's HOT!

So am I but that doesn't rate me a ride with Andretti.

I am evil Homer
2nd February 2011, 10:09
Waste of a top seat....Conway is the very definition of an average driver. Sure he shoes flashes of potential but soon sinks back to his natural talent level of an also ran - in GP2 among a talented field he struggled with consistency so perhaps with Andretti he can challenge for podiums but can't escape the feeling there's better drivers out there that would benefit from this seat.

beachgirl
2nd February 2011, 11:56
WoooooHoooo....Another ride buyer!!!

Mike is a nice guy but has he ever been anything but mediocre? 3 years of GP2 with only one win in a sprint race(He started from the pole by finishing 8th in the feature.) In the ICS he managed 1 podium over a season and a 1/3.

Stats similar, if not better, than some of the other Andretti drivers, so he'll fit right in.

TURN3
2nd February 2011, 13:50
Waste of a top seat....Conway is the very definition of an average driver. Sure he shoes flashes of potential but soon sinks back to his natural talent level of an also ran - in GP2 among a talented field he struggled with consistency so perhaps with Andretti he can challenge for podiums but can't escape the feeling there's better drivers out there that would benefit from this seat.

Sort of the status quo at AA...a waste of at least 3 top seats to say the least.

DanicaFan
2nd February 2011, 14:12
Danica and Marco will now be the team leaders at AA.

beachgirl
2nd February 2011, 14:22

If your criteria is seniority, maybe. Ability? No way.

DanicaFan
2nd February 2011, 14:23
If your criteria is seniority, maybe. Ability? No way.

Danica will be the coach on the ovals, she is the Queen of ovals.. :)

beachbum
2nd February 2011, 14:39
Danica will be the coach on the ovals, she is the Queen of ovals.. :) To quote Larry the Cable guy "I don't care who ya are, that's funny right there".

MAX_THRUST
2nd February 2011, 17:30
Well if the other drivers on the team are slow and he isn't that will make him look good, and if he can win a race or two then maybe we will change our minds on his ability. However if Bourdais whoops him at every race for Dale Coyne, why hasn't AA signed a decent top driver like Bordais? Is this a pay drive then? I assume Bordais can get a drive because of talent rather than money brought with them.

Dr. Krogshöj
2nd February 2011, 17:34
I expect Conway to be the fastest Andretti driver on road courses and Patrick on the ovals. Conway has had speed since he came to IndyCar. It would help if he crashed less. Before GP2, he won the British F3 championship and the Macau Grand Prix, but hasn't had much success since that. I don't know where his funding is coming from though. Neither of the DRR sponsors were associated with him, so I guess rich family?

Anubis
2nd February 2011, 18:46
Disregarding whether or not he paid for the ride and how talented (or not) he might be, it is at least nice to see him even be able to get back in a car after his Indy crash. Wouldn't wish that accident on even the most mediocre hack.

Be interesting to see how he compares to Her Danicaness in equal machinery. He might not have set the world alight in GP2, but you don't win British F3 or Macau by being average (lucky, perhaps, in the case of Macau), so there's a degree of talent in there somewhere.

DBell
2nd February 2011, 19:04
Hmmm, I see talk about Marco, Danica and Conway, but no love for RHR? I say RHR benefits from some stability (finally) in his career and will be the highest in the points for Andretti at the end of the year and wins a race somewhere. I think he's the best driver on this team.

Steve-o
2nd February 2011, 23:27
quotes from the principles...
http://www.fanviewpoint.com/2011/02/mike-conway-joins-andretti-autosport.html

TURN3
3rd February 2011, 13:07
Actually, he's right on this one - at least among the drivers at AA.

He's right? Yeah, she'll be the "coach" for AA on ovals. She's good like that, with her reputation and known lack of technical ability. Such a stellar career to back that up too. Remind me again how many W's she has? C'mon Starter, your affiniation for a particular poster is making you look like you're losing your mind. Lets keep it real. Danica couldn't get hired at Bondurant as a coach for 12 year olds.

Hmmm, I see talk about Marco, Danica and Conway, but no love for RHR? I say RHR benefits from some stability (finally) in his career and will be the highest in the points for Andretti at the end of the year and wins a race somewhere. I think he's the best driver on this team.

Thats because RHR is the only legitimate driver on the team. He doesn't deserve to be dropped to the level of his teammates in this conversation. I think there is little doubt he finishes highest in the championship of the AA drivers (term used loosely). If Conway can keep it off the wall he'll be 2nd. At best AA can hope for 1 distant top 10 finisher this year in the championship (8-10).

Chris R
3rd February 2011, 13:38

The team is doomed...... All indications are that neither one of them have the temperament or personality to lead anyone but themselves and neither have the technical savvy or people skills to "build" a team around them....

The AA lineup this year is a most curious example of extreme mediocrity. You would be hard pressed to say any of the drivers are truly BAD but none of them are terribly strong.... I think RHR is clearly the best of the bunch (but that is not saying much) - Marco and Danica are pretty equal (and both are, at best, average) - he is better on road course, her on ovals - and Conway is an unknown for the most part. Perhaps he will surprise but he reminds me a lot of Dan Clarke - fast at times but not necessarily disciplined - but as many have noted over the years, it is better to slow down a slightly reckless driver than to try to get a slow driver to speed up......

Chris R
3rd February 2011, 13:59
Ok, some Stats for Andretti Autosport Drivers:
2010 Points - TK 6th, RHR 7th, Marco 8th, Danica 10th didn't RHR sit out a race or two also??
2009 points DP- 5th, Marco 8th, RHR 15th (sat out many races yes??)
Career Wins - TK -15 in 219 starts - wins rate 6%. RHR 4 wins in 100 starts 4% win rate. Danica 1 win in 98 starts 1% win rate. Marco 1 win in 82 starts 1% win rate
TK 13 oval wins, 1 street, 1 RC. RHR 2 street, 1 oval, 1 road. DP 1 oval win. Marco 1 road course win.

Conway wrecked in 9 out of 23 starts. (perhaps 10 - not sure if one suspension failure was self induced or true mechanical failure...)

Marco consistently finished lower in points than DP averages about 8th. DP actually does pretty well in points - averages about 6th. RHR has rarely had a full season ride to really make much sense of his points....

Conclusions - While TK was good - he isn't THAT good. Andretti has always had a high end mediocre driver lineup and this is more of the same. These drivers are nothing to be ashamed of but not likely to be competing for wins week in and week out and unlikely to challenge for the championship ever - regardless of team.... Given points results one can absolutely make a credible argument that DP is the best driver on the team - but RHR has 4x the wins in a much more fragmented career with similar career starts which makes it a pretty credible argement that he is the best... Marco is clearly a low top 10 drivers at best and Conway needs to stop wrecking (even if it is not his fault...)....

DBell
3rd February 2011, 14:53
Stats can only tell a portion of a story. Before joining Penske, Power's career stats was similar to RHR's. But put him in a top and stable team where he has the resources to spotlight his talent and he shines. Would that be the case with RHR? I don't know, but I'd like to find out. Switch Power to Andretti last year and he would have a very different year from the one he had with Penske, imo.

As far as championships, there are 5 guys that are going to have a chance at the title. In fact, I take Briscoe out of that equation and say there will be 4. I don't care who you put in the Andretti team, they are going to be in a uphill battle to compete race in and race out with Penske and Ganassi. My opinion is that Andretti stretches his team to far by running 4 cars. I think he would have been better off not signing Conway and running 3 cars. But I guess the money brought in by the 4th car is crucial to the overall team finances.

Chris R
3rd February 2011, 15:45
Stats can only tell a portion of a story. Before joining Penske, Power's career stats was similar to RHR's. But put him in a top and stable team where he has the resources to spotlight his talent and he shines. Would that be the case with RHR? I don't know, but I'd like to find out. Switch Power to Andretti last year and he would have a very different year from the one he had with Penske, imo.

As far as championships, there are 5 guys that are going to have a chance at the title. In fact, I take Briscoe out of that equation and say there will be 4. I don't care who you put in the Andretti team, they are going to be in a uphill battle to compete race in and race out with Penske and Ganassi. My opinion is that Andretti stretches his team to far by running 4 cars. I think he would have been better off not signing Conway and running 3 cars. But I guess the money brought in by the 4th car is crucial to the overall team finances.

I agree with your take on the championship with the exception that PERHAPs Rahal might be a contender (I am assuming you are counting Will, Helio, Dario and Scott) - Personally I would drop Helio and add Rahal to that mix....

As for Power's stats prior to this year: 5 wins in 54 starts - almost 10% win rate - twice as good as RHR in less time.... Although one of those wins was with Penske in 2009 so it is really 4 wins in 48 starts - still 8% and twice as good as RHR. I agree that RHR has not had a fair shot - and I would really like to see him get one - but my gut feeling is that Power is and always was better (but who the heck am I to judge such things??!!) :-)

I alos agree with your take on Andretti running 4 cars - they just don't have the resources but me thinks Michael wants to be the big guy on the block....

DBell
3rd February 2011, 16:01
I agree with your take on the championship with the exception that PERHAPs Rahal might be a contender (I am assuming you are counting Will, Helio, Dario and Scott) - Personally I would drop Helio and add Rahal to that mix....

As for Power's stats prior to this year: 5 wins in 54 starts - almost 10% win rate - twice as good as RHR in less time.... Although one of those wins was with Penske in 2009 so it is really 4 wins in 48 starts - still 8% and twice as good as RHR. I agree that RHR has not had a fair shot - and I would really like to see him get one - but my gut feeling is that Power is and always was better (but who the heck am I to judge such things??!!) :-)

I alos agree with your take on Andretti running 4 cars - they just don't have the resources but me thinks Michael wants to be the big guy on the block....

Wasn't 1 or 2 of Power's wins with Penske in his partial year with them? And while he wasn't driving with the very best team previously, he also didn't have to drive for Paulie G and AJ Foyt. That's not going to pad anyones stats. Your gut feeling may be right on because Power is really good, but I'd like to see RHR get a real chance to show what he could do. In a time when Indycar needs an a couple of American's to compete with Dario, Will, etc., RHR and Rahal have the best shot at doing this at the moment.

DBell
3rd February 2011, 19:39

Sorry that in my earlier post I didn't see where you made note of Will's partial season in 09. My reading comprehension seems to be off lately. Looking up Will's record, I have him for 3 wins before he joined Penske. 2 in CC and 1 in Long Beach in the final CC/IRL points race. Still better than RHR, but fairly close. Also, looking up RHR, he had 28 races with Rocketsports/Vision/Foyt. Fernando Alonso would have had trouble winning races for them. In 5 full seasons (with 6 different teams) of AOW racing, RHR has won races in 4 of them, the only season he didn't was the Vision/Foyt season. In 5 full seasons of AOW racing Will has the same record, his first season with Walker being the one he didn't win in. Obviously in his stint with Penske, Will has become a force to be reckoned with. I hope RHR can impress with Andretti so if Penske or Ganassi has a seat that becomes available, he would get a chance at it.

On a side note, why does this forum allow such a short period of time to edit post and correct mistakes. Drives me crazy.

TURN3
4th February 2011, 02:25
Very good stats posted by a couple of you, thank you for taking the time. Some would prefer to just throw around "what works" for them. Simple really when you actually do a full analysis. I'd consider the junior forumlas a part of a career also. Afterall, most of these drivers (not all), actually show some type of potential to get them where they are. So of the AA drivers, how many of them have wins in lower tier professional formula? How many of them have won championships? Oh yeah, all but a single one of the current AA drivers. Guess which one.

Bottom line is Danica isn't "coaching" anyone. Hell, she can't coach herself. She's had one of the best rides in the series her entire career, complete with documented unfair competitive advantages in some cases, yet still to be worth a damn at the one thing that counts....winning. Another interesting fact about Coach Danica, every single team she's ever been on has gotten worse each year she's been there. Explain that?

You know, I just got to thinking too about how she was un-invited from the AGR ALMS team when they realized what a fraud she was. Same thing happened when she gave the DP Prototypes a spin...they removed her from her scheduled stints during the 24. C'mon now people. What more needs to be said about the talent of Coach Danica?

beachgirl
4th February 2011, 23:25
I certainly wouldn't want to mention her name in front of Katie Crawford (yes, that Crawford - the F1 and Daytona Prototype engineer/strategist) anytime in this millennium.

domaza
5th February 2011, 16:42
Anybody knows, where Conway money is coming? Rich parents?

beachbum
5th February 2011, 16:53
Anybody knows, where Conway money is coming? Rich parents?Curt Cavin reported he brought under $1 million, which isn't nearly enough for the full season. Where that came from is anyone's guess. As for the rest of the budget for the car.................?

keysersoze
15th February 2011, 03:08
Mike more than held his own against Justin Wilson in the short time they were teammates, and JW is regarded as a top-line shoe on the RC / street circuits. Yep, he's often put in the fence, and he's the only driver to ever wreck so much early in a career, no? :rolleyes:

A podium his rookie season at Infineon--and he restarted way in the back after the big first lap wreck involving about a third of the field.

Front row at Barber and running a strong second until his team effed up the FCC strategy.

Fastest car on the track the last 10 laps at Indy, and on his way to 3rd (or better) when RHR ran outta gas on the racing line.

He still has a lot to learn on the ovals, but Conway is much better than the blowholes around here would have us believe.

Mr. Mister
16th February 2011, 00:52
Anybody knows, where Conway money is coming? Rich parents?

http://www.fmconway.co.uk/

Family business.