PDA

View Full Version : Theoretical Touring Car Speeds

Rollo
21st January 2011, 05:16
If you gave the current classes of big Touring Cars (mainly the DTM and V8 Supercars) and allowed them free-play with things like diff ratios, removed rev limiters, would they be faster than NASCARs assuming the restrictor plates were taken off and they were also allowed free-play with things like diff ratios, removed rev limiters etc?

I guess that the question more or less revolves around frontal drag versus weight of the cars and total power.

NASCARs by my way of thinking a big chunky sorts of things with shedloads of power, a DTM car is a slipperier being which is essentially a prototype underneath a touring shell, and a V8 Supercar is an snarling half-way house.

Eurotech
25th January 2011, 16:59
Depends, round a normal track, DTM/V8s would leave NASCARs for dead through corners but in an American bowl it would probably be completly different.

Mark
25th January 2011, 17:17
Each is designed for their own arena. I'd be very surprised if a touring car could beat a NASCAR on an oval. Likewise a touring car would undoubtedly triumph on a proper road course.

RJL25
8th February 2011, 11:11
Well the DTM cars wouldn't be as slippery as you'd think, they have a LOT of downforce, and downforce = drag. They also have the smallest capacity engine by a fair margin.

V8 Supercar engine blocks are derived from NASCAR blocks, so theoretically they could rev to 9,000rpm, if not even more given they run a smaller 5.0L capacity compared to NASCAR, so theoretically could possibly rev even harder. They currently produce 650HP with a 7,500rpm rev limit, so with 9,000+ you would be talking over 800HP I'd reckon, wouldn't be very reliable but it could happen...

...but at the end of the day the NASCAR is designed to go very very fast, so ultimately the V8 Supercar too would also suffer from just having too much downforce and therefore too much drag. Also with a production derived body, adding even more drag, nah neither DTM or V8 Supercars would be able to produce enough grunt to overcome the increased drag over a NASCAR

wedge
10th February 2011, 15:35
What do you mean by 'faster'?

Straight line speed?

Round a race track?

NASCAR weighs over 1.5 tonnes (DTM is about 1000kg, V8SC about 1300kg) and the COT is aerodynamically not much different to a brick. BTW they also have no rev limiter let alone an ECU.

DTM were as quick as LMGT1 cars at Spa in the mid 2000s.

22nd February 2011, 08:28
we specially say faster for getting speed.