PDA

View Full Version : Own goal

seppefan
14th March 2007, 14:14
Have Williams and BMW scored an own goal having Friday drivers as surely it prevents the race drivers ( one per team ) from getting the track time.

Mark
14th March 2007, 14:15
I thought it was extra, over and above what the main drivers were allowed?

ioan
14th March 2007, 14:19
Not really.
They think about the future and with this seasons testing reduction the wouldn't have to much track time to give to the newcomers to learn the car and the tracks in testing sessions.

Teams like Ferrari and McLaren don't really have a history of promoting their own test drivers to race drivers roles, they just buyout other team's drivers, so they need no track time for their test drivers. Also usually bigger teams do have experienced test drivers and not newcomers who need to learn the tracks and how to drive an F1 car.

ioan
14th March 2007, 14:20
I thought it was extra, over and above what the main drivers were allowed?

I think they might have the right to use only 2 cars at one time.

seppefan
14th March 2007, 14:23
Nakajima a full time driver in F1 for 08 ? Toyota seem to be having a greater influence at Williams than we were led to think. Remember their name was mentioned only twice at the car launch. Also Nakajima missing GP2 testing seems short sighted. I am surprised and unimpressed. Mclaren would never have done that with Hamilton.

sonic_roadhog
14th March 2007, 17:36
Its a very good way of keeping the established race drivers on their toes. Look at the way quick nick raised his game when JV was replaced last season. But with the adjustment to 3rd driver rules with just two cars available it can only hurt the race driver who is relegated, especially at tracks such as monaco and the like. Both BMW and Williams have young drivers in the line up who cannot afford any loss of track time so it doesn't strike me as the worlds greatest choice but i could be wrong.

Sonic :)

Mikeall
14th March 2007, 21:53
They only run Friday mornings when no one wants to run anyway because the data they collect doesn't mean that much. The sessions have been extended anyway and the teams have been given more tyres for the weekend. Williams may have thought it was worthwhile if it made Toyota's engine supply cheaper and maybe BMW thought they had to use Vettel otherwise Red Bull might give him a better offer.