PDA

View Full Version : New appearance

Valve Bounce
16th January 2011, 04:53
The new format looks bloody awful :(
How can I go back to the old forum format which was there just the day before? :confused:

Mark
17th January 2011, 11:59
There is a version of the old style available for the new forums but it costs money so we'll have to work out if it's worthwhile having that. Besides it basically looks exactly the same as the old forums and I think having a change is a good thing.

MrJan
17th January 2011, 12:04
If you haven't already tried it then the option down the bottom of the page to go from 'default' to 'red' is a useful interim.

Mark
17th January 2011, 14:04
We've got plans to change the style completely - to something more like the old style! That won't be in place until tomorrow I would think.

cali
17th January 2011, 14:21
I actually like the new appearance, just have to get used to it a bit. Looks better to me

inimitablestoo
17th January 2011, 17:25
I like the new bit at the top of each forum where it says "not true". That's a very concise disclaimer :D

janneppi
17th January 2011, 18:03
As mister Horse would put it, "No sir, i don't like it."

Jag_Warrior
17th January 2011, 20:41
I love the fact that we now have avatars. But I can only see mine in certain browsers. The forum looks different depending on what browser I open. IE, Safari and Firefox all look a bit different, I'm sure because of the settings or whatever. But that wasn't true before. The forum always looked the same, no matter what browser I was using.

I'm content to be patient. I know Mark has had to do this unexpectedly and under the gun. So let's all give him some support and a pat on the back for all that he's trying to do.

Valve Bounce
18th January 2011, 08:29
If you haven't already tried it then the option down the bottom of the page to go from 'default' to 'red' is a useful interim.

Are you out of your mind? :p : It's even worse. :( Red would drive me insane, and I'm an Essendon supporter.

Daniel
18th January 2011, 11:19
Are you out of your mind? :p : It's even worse. :( Red would drive me insane, and I'm an Essendon supporter.

Why do you always make references which hardly anyone on the forum will understand?

As for the style of the forum. I'd like a slightly darker background as it's a bit bright but at the end of the day it works and as an IT person I understand that "it works" is far more important than "ooooh look, it's pretty!" or "oooh it looks just like the old one"

If I killed every person who complained that their PC is different after an update or that their desktop isn't the same as it was on their old PC which is 7 years old and dying then Hitler would have competition.

fandango
18th January 2011, 13:44
I like the new format, but one thing I miss is the mouseover feature. I used to be able to see part of the first post on a thread by mousing over it. Now I have to click on each one. It's not really a big deal, but is it possible to have that again?

Mark
18th January 2011, 13:46
Hilter doesn't have any competition any more remember, he killed so many people that there was nobody left to kill except himself! An error in his coding there should have been more like
if($self)
{
dont_kill();
} else {
kill_all();
}

Barreis
18th January 2011, 15:17
New design looks terrible.. Please bring the "old" forum back..

Daniel
18th January 2011, 16:30
New design looks terrible.. Please bring the "old" forum back..

You can always go post here if you want http://forums.motorsport.com/forums/index.php?styleid=14 :rotflmao: Might be a bit quiet there though

Mark
19th January 2011, 09:35
A preview of a possible alternative (or main) style is available now if you go to the style chooser on the bottom left and select "Motorsport Forums Alternative"

JRodrigues
19th January 2011, 11:02
I prefered that the prefered reply option was the advanced one. Don't like quick reply...

Valve Bounce
19th January 2011, 11:35
I jusr wish we could go back to the Old default style. :(
But, I guess this is better than nothing, so I'll just have to work with it. :(

Mark
19th January 2011, 11:45
I jusr wish we could go back to the Old default style. :(
But, I guess this is better than nothing, so I'll just have to work with it. :(

Have you tried the "Alternative" style, that's about as close to the old style as we can get.

pino
19th January 2011, 12:17
It took a while but finally I must say that I like this new style, my only problem is the main page, so let's put some warm colours there and Bingo ! :D

MrJan
19th January 2011, 12:58
I miss the old RallyForum.com graphic at the top, but I'm sure that I can handle it.

I like the alternative one, and after a few weeks we'll all be used to it anyway.

Mark
19th January 2011, 13:00
I miss the old RallyForum.com graphic at the top, but I'm sure that I can handle it.

I like the alternative one, and after a few weeks we'll all be used to it anyway.

On consideration I think we're going to stick with the current default. The graphics at the top will return - eventually!

OldF
29th January 2011, 21:51
The old one was better. What’s bothers me most is that now there’s a lot of scrolling on one page because all the ads are part of the posts. In the old one they had they’re own space at the right of the posts.

Sonic
29th January 2011, 22:28
The old one was better. What’s bothers me most is that now there’s a lot of scrolling on one page because all the ads are part of the posts. In the old one they had they’re own space at the right of the posts.

A required evil I should think. If we want a place to hang out its got to be paid for somehow - so don't complain and click that link and buy yourself a...."11 year old super car experience"......seriously?! Madness.

Dave B
30th January 2011, 00:01
Must be honest I skip all the ads on Sky+ but on the internet I consider their presence a price worth paying for accessing a free website.
Within reason, mind, sneaky pop-ups or unwanted audio are a sure fire way for a site to be added to my block list.

Valve Bounce
10th February 2011, 12:00
Why do you always make references which hardly anyone on the forum will understand?

Just so I can introduce them to Mr Google ;)

CNR
14th February 2011, 06:35
new banners could make it look betterhttp://i51.tinypic.com/2e5r3ah.jpg

Mark
14th February 2011, 08:14
We could do with some new pictures, but I think I prefer our current logo.

CNR
15th February 2011, 12:17
Q:would it look better if the ads were up the top and separated at the sidelike http://www.pcmediacenter.com.au/forum/

Mark
16th February 2011, 08:42
But we've had that logo for years, and besides, pino likes the red :p

Mark
16th February 2011, 08:43
Q:would it look better if the ads were up the top and separated at the sidelike http://www.pcmediacenter.com.au/forum/

But then there would be no room for the sidebar on the main page which gives you previews of recent threads, tells you what's on this weekend, and most importantly tries to get you to click 'Like' on the facebook page :D

CNR
16th February 2011, 10:54
But then there would be no room for the sidebar on the main page which gives you previews of recent threads, tells you what's on this weekend, and most importantly tries to get you to click 'Like' on the facebook page :D

isnt this the same software

have a look at http://www.pcmediacenter.com.au/forum/

Mark
16th February 2011, 11:02
It is the same software, yes. It's just a different layout, we have ads at the top, they have them on the side. Amounts to the same thing really!

CNR
19th February 2011, 11:54
had a look at motorsportdotcom it looks crap
for anybody using chrome
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/oiaejidbmkiecgbjeifoejpgmdaleoha
besides, pino likes the red
http://i51.tinypic.com/f4mr2u.jpg

CNR
19th February 2011, 12:31
in the colors of red bull website
http://i51.tinypic.com/2zzoi68.jpg

http://cybernetnews.com/customize-website-css/

Once installed you’ll see a “CSS” icon in the address bar, and a sidebar will appear when you click on it. From there you can begin selecting elements on the page to customize their color, layout, or even hide them. As you can see in the screenshot above I went ahead and completely removed the Yahoo sidebar that normally appears along the left side, and then changed the hyperlink color to green. There is also an advanced mode if you wanted to write your own CSS code rather than using the actual interface.

inimitablestoo
4th March 2011, 17:00
Just noticed one oddity with the first post in a thread - the one that contains the Ads by Google. Probably there are all sorts of examples, but since I saw it here, have a look at the www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?141492-F1-broadcasting-monopoly" thread and scroll down using the in-post scrollbar. Watch what happens - or more to the point doesn't happen - to the smilies...

Steve Boyd
4th March 2011, 20:47
It's even more noticeable if you use the horizontal scroll bar.

Mark
5th March 2011, 11:32
Again I can't replicate that. What scroll bar?

inimitablestoo
5th March 2011, 11:57
Might be something to do with set-up then. On every first post on every page (such as yours at #21 on this page) I'm getting scroll bars to account for the extra space for the Ads by Google.

I'm using the default motorsportforums.com site, if that helps.

slorydn1
5th March 2011, 23:13
When making reports of these kind of problems it is extremely helpful to advise what browser you are using, as it seems that most of the problems reported are browser related. Im using IE 8.0 and I can't replicate this issue (nor with my back-up Google Chrome, either).

CNR
6th March 2011, 04:14
Just noticed one oddity with the first post in a thread - the one that contains the Ads by Google. Probably there are all sorts of examples, but since I saw it here, have a look at the www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?141492-F1-broadcasting-monopoly" thread and scroll down using the in-post scrollbar. Watch what happens - or more to the point doesn't happen - to the smilies...

1 of the adds i get is on of a f1 team member if you go slow
what is a polite way to put this
it looks like pubic hair

Mark
6th March 2011, 09:12
When making reports of these kind of problems it is extremely helpful to advise what browser you are using, as it seems that most of the problems reported are browser related. Im using IE 8.0 and I can't replicate this issue (nor with my back-up Google Chrome, either).

And if you can, post a screenshot.

Steve Boyd
6th March 2011, 11:39
Mark
The scroll bars thing is an IE7 issue (as is the one about log-in boxes in some of the headers I reported in the other thread). I'm looking at the default appearance using IE8 on another machine at the moment and neither problem is apparent. IE7 appears to think that the text area in the first post (with the ad panel) is larger than the area allocated to it on the individual post section. As a result it inserts two scroll bars which scroll the text but not the ad panel or a quote panel (if present).
HTH

inimitablestoo
6th March 2011, 18:22
What he said :)

Apart from looking at IE8, which I'm not

Valve Bounce
14th March 2011, 01:45
I am using Firefox, and I am sorry, but I cannot read your name which is yellow. I tried the "quote" function but that didn't work either. :(
I'm going to tell pino. :bigcry:

Valve Bounce
14th March 2011, 01:49

OK! I opened IE8 and I can see your name now. Not that I like IE8 but I guess if I want to visit the forum, I'll just have to open IE8 instead.