PDA

View Full Version : IndyLights level engine competition?

Mad_Hatter
15th January 2011, 04:23
Doonan’s last point is the most intriguing. Not every auto manufacturer with a desire to compete in open-wheel can afford the price tag to build and support an IndyCar engine program. But for smaller companies like Mazda, creating a cost-effective arena where they can promote their brands while still spending valuable advertising dollars with the series is certainly worth exploring.

The entire article...
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-mended-steps/P2

It mainly covers the Mazda Road to Indy. But, engine manufacturers in Indy Lights could be a lucrative move if they could pull it off certainly at a reduced power spec. I wouldn't be so sure about multiple chassis at that level though. However, the opportunity could also exist for introducing one of the Swift, Lola, or BAT designs that lost out on Indycar to be used. From there maybe integrate the Lights car into Indycar to have multiple chassis...

Yes. I know it's a fairly pie-in-the-sky series of events, but it gives the option to grow the competition and series down the timeline without fully committing to it. It would also ease the development of a Swift/Lola/BAT/whoever should they be given a greenlight to compete in the big cars. You could also get the benefit of Mazda/Nissan/whoever involvement and investment at events and in marketing value.The key, as always, is on keeping development costs...

This approach to chassis and engine manufacturer involvement could become an approach to keep in the mind in the future should things not improve on the economic side of Indycar. What says you?

Edmond
15th January 2011, 11:13
Why is Conor Daly only running road courses? Why isn't he running a full season?

anthonyvop
15th January 2011, 23:12
Why is Conor Daly only running road courses? Why isn't he running a full season?

When your goal is F-1 why run ovals?

Chamoo
16th January 2011, 04:53
It isn't even a sure thing Conor will be doing the road courses. When asked at the State of Indycar event, he said there are no contracts in place, or that he had even spoken with anyone about it.

Conor is being awarded the road courses by INDYCAR I believe, and not Mazda.

px400r
16th January 2011, 12:19
When your goal is F-1 why run ovals?

If your goal is F1, why stay in the US?

Chamoo
17th January 2011, 02:43
If your goal is F1, why stay in the US?

Because at the moment, you don't have the funding to go Europe.

vintage
17th January 2011, 04:29
To be clear, Conor hasn't said he's running any FIL races. He tested the GP3 car - I'm thinking that's where he'll be.

px400r
17th January 2011, 11:16
Because at the moment, you don't have the funding to go Europe.

And he doesn't sound like he's a got that much more funding for the US either.

It's a bad move if F1 is truly his goal. He should be in Europe. The IRL isn't like CART (or even CCWS) as far as providing F1 talent.

Chamoo
17th January 2011, 13:59
Back to the original point of this thread, I would not have any issue seeing a bunch of manufacturers building existing engines they have previously built to bring to the FIL series. Would love to see the manufacturer competition throughout INDYCAR.

Chamoo
17th January 2011, 19:19
I'd disagree with that. The purpose of a training series is to highlight talent. You need to take equipment variables out to really evaluate young drivers. This is where a spec series does have a place.

I understand that, but if they can get some sort of very similar outputs from 2 or 3 manufacturers, I think the money and marketing that would be put behind the up and coming stars would be beneficial in the long run. You'd have Mazda, Chevrolet, Honda, Lotus, and anyone else who wants to play, helping to pay for young drivers to come through the system.

The marketing dollars as well would be extremely helpful in marketing the up and coming stars, as well as helping to line the series pockets. It also gives Mazda and other manufacturers a chance to sample the landscape before entering full time in the big series.

Mad_Hatter
18th January 2011, 00:08
Correct. A quick look at the European versions of f3 seems to show them doing well enough even with the oversaturation of feeder series in their region. They have Honda, VW, and Benz as engine manufacturers there with VW and Benz fighting for the championship.

Also, I'm sure team owners are usually pretty professional in their perspectives of the ladders and talent, funding woes aside...

Jag_Warrior
23rd January 2011, 21:27
It isn't even a sure thing Conor will be doing the road courses. When asked at the State of Indycar event, he said there are no contracts in place, or that he had even spoken with anyone about it.

Conor is being awarded the road courses by INDYCAR I believe, and not Mazda.

At the beginning of this year, here's what he had to say about his future ambitions:

Conor was linked with the ill fated USF1 project last year and admits he is still targeting Formula 1.

"It's the top level of racing," he said. "That's why we need an American to represent our country on the top step of the podium.

"American drivers do not have much credibility in Europe," added Daly Jr, "but to get to Formula 1, you have to be in Europe. It's a big change for me. It's where I need to go and where I want to go."

V12
26th January 2011, 17:24
I'd disagree with that. The purpose of a training series is to highlight talent. You need to take equipment variables out to really evaluate young drivers. This is where a spec series does have a place.

I see your point, although feeder series, as well as preparing drivers for the big time, could also allow engine and chassis (or aero-kit) builders to get a foothold in.

Having said that even in the completely open C/E/T glory days of CART/Indy Car the Indy Lights series was always spec so it would be a big step, although I seem to remember Atlantics (third-tier before the original Lights got canned) used to be open chassis (spec engine/tyres) for a while before the Swift was mandated, so it wouldn't be totally outrageous to make lower-formulae at least a bit open.

Plus the only way to have things truly "equal" is to take teams out of the equation and have all the cars centrally prepared like FPA or fake-F2, and I don't think any fan would want to see that.

Spec series with competing teams can be far from equal for drivers, Indy Car itself is living proof of that (Penske and Ganassi's domination since the series went all-Dallara-Honda)

DerekD
6th February 2011, 21:54
First time to see this thread or anything on this forum. Conor is determined to become the very best professional he can be. He has a plan that he will attempt to stick to over the next three years. The most important thing is to keep his learning trajectory as steel as possible. At the end of the day, if he can race in Europe during the next three years, he can only become a better driver - then he will then be 21 years old and better equipped to tackle any opportunity that might come his way - on either side of the Atlantic ocean.
Derek D.