PDA

View Full Version : Server move

Mark
11th January 2011, 15:27
Unfortunately we've had to do an emergency server move. Some of your posts will be missing I'm afraid. More details as I have them!

Mark
12th January 2011, 09:24
We've moved servers again! Sorry for all the bouncing around, hopefully this new server should have sufficient capacity.

What I've basically done is gone with a "cloud hosting" solution, where you can buy a virtual Zen server with however much memory / transfer / disk / CPU you need. I've basically gone for the most expensive option :eek: and I'll monitor things and reduce the size of the server accordingly.

Daniel
12th January 2011, 11:46
Seems a bit better now.

Clouds, is there anything they can't do?

Mark
12th January 2011, 11:56
Seems a bit better now.

Clouds, is there anything they can't do?

I've made some changes to the DNS which I won't bore you with here but the load transformed from using 330% of the CPU capacity to about 10%, nice!

Daniel
12th January 2011, 12:02
I've made some changes to the DNS which I won't bore you with here but the load transformed from using 330% of the CPU capacity to about 10%, nice!

Nice :D

I know obviously that it's virtual, but what sort of hardware are we talking about?

Mark
12th January 2011, 12:12
Keeping in mind that I've deliberately massively overspeced the machine to make 100% certain the forums keep running. It's currently on a VM with 4GB RAM and 6 x 2GHz cores, with a 40Mb/s connection.

The hosting service is actually quite flexible so I could for example see that I'm only using 20% of the CPU resource and cut it down thus saving money, but add a bit on for example at the start of the F1 season. It's much more flexible than just renting a box.

Daniel
12th January 2011, 12:19
Keeping in mind that I've deliberately massively overspeced the machine to make 100% certain the forums keep running. It's currently on a VM with 4GB RAM and 6 x 2GHz cores, with a 40Mb/s connection.

The hosting service is actually quite flexible so I could for example see that I'm only using 20% of the CPU resource and cut it down thus saving money, but add a bit on for example at the start of the F1 season. It's much more flexible than just renting a box.

Was just wondering if perhaps server co-location might be a good bet. Obviously there's a high setup cost but over the long time it may work out cheaper or not of course :D Of course it's not as flexible as das cloud computatoring :)

inimitablestoo
12th January 2011, 19:29
I'm sure they did the same thing to a patient on Casualty last week :s

Tazio
16th January 2011, 02:35
Prop's on the new site Mark It's Freakin' sweet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCiSkS9mLuU&feature=player_embedded