PDA

View Full Version : Randy's first year

DBell
6th January 2011, 14:22
I just saw this article by Robin:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-back-from-the-brink/

This is one year to the day that Randy Bernard was hired to run IndyCar. If you judge a job a person does by examining the first year, then Randy gets an A from me. He's done the near impossible for me. He 's changed my opinion that there is no hope or future for IndyCar. Tons of work still to be done and the jury is still out (imo) whether IndyCar can come all the way back to it's former prominence, but after a year under Randy, I think it may be a possibility. A year ago, I would have said stick a fork in IndyCar, it's done.

So to Randy, a fine first year on the job. :up: Please have an even better second year!

garyshell
6th January 2011, 15:14
Amen, brother. Amen.

Gary

SarahFan
6th January 2011, 15:20
its amazing what can happen when a cancer is removed....

So far Randy gets high marks from me

garyshell
6th January 2011, 17:12
its amazing what can happen when a cancer is removed....

So far Randy gets high marks from me

While I concur with the second statement, to be perfectly honest I think the relative success has less to do with just getting King George off the throne and more with bringing in some from outside the sport who was able to think a bit more outside the box. Now my lack of love for the King is well known, so I don't want this to be in any way construed as my defending the jerk in any way shape or form. But my point is if he had been replaced with someone with the same sort of entrenched mentality he showed, we would not be seeing the progress we have.

I think Randy's totally different perspective and NOT knowing that much about the business has been a HUGE help to him and the organization. This flies in the face of all of those folks who one year ago were crying about the bull riding guy being put in charge. I suspect a bit of crow ought to be served on their tables for the anniversary.

Gary

Lousada
6th January 2011, 17:27
Randy is a lot more professional and outward orientated then TG. It's a fresh air for everyone I think. He has done well with getting at least one extra engine manufacturer for 2012.
But in 2010 the tv-ratings and attendance continued the slide into the abyss. Randy didn't have too much influence on this since he only started somewhere in March. But this season we should be able to see the first signs of the "Randy-effect".

SarahFan
6th January 2011, 17:35
But in 2010 the tv-ratings and attendance continued the slide into the abyss. Randy didn't have too much influence on this since he only started somewhere in March. But this season we should be able to see the first signs of the "Randy-effect".

exactly why, IMO, Randy is talking new track record.....he knows that no matter how many changes you have made if you dont give folks a profound reason to tune (back!) in they will all go for naught.....

Mark in Oshawa
8th January 2011, 23:57
I think too many people wrote this guy off and said this series was going to be dead after this year.

I don't think he has saved it, but by god he thinks outside the box, and he is trying to answer the concerns of fans and teams.

The only concern Tony was listening to was his own, and it showed. A marketing man and a showman is required to run a racing series that is trying to survive and thrive again. Randy has a flair for bold ideas, and thinking outside the box. No matter what happens from now on, we at least know that one Randy Bernard is going down swinging...

garyshell
9th January 2011, 07:18
I think too many people wrote this guy off and said this series was going to be dead after this year.

I don't think he has saved it, but by god he thinks outside the box, and he is trying to answer the concerns of fans and teams.

The only concern Tony was listening to was his own, and it showed. A marketing man and a showman is required to run a racing series that is trying to survive and thrive again. Randy has a flair for bold ideas, and thinking outside the box. No matter what happens from now on, we at least know that one Randy Bernard is going down swinging...

Amen!

And good on him for it.

Gary

Mark in Oshawa
10th January 2011, 15:03
Read it a few times...and it and it just hit me. Robin obviously didn't get along with Tony, and Tony routinely banned Robin from the Speedway...but with all those quotes from the sisters...you have to know he at least gets along with them!

I bet Tony still doesn't get what he was doing wrong.....

mike15
9th February 2011, 16:37
Randy has been a positive influence on Indycar racing. Getting rid of a few more of the old IRL executives is a must. What will turn the series in a new direction are the 2012 chassis/engine changes. Bringing back the turbos and a possible Chevy/Ford rivalry will bring back fans that were lost to NASCAR.

Don Capps
10th February 2011, 14:02
I tend to be much less generous given that it will take at least another year or two to better judge his actions. Given that he did not have much of anywhere to go but up after the many disasters, almost all self-inflicted, that have plagued this form of motor racing for over a decade and a half, that it did not die or get significantly worse automatically makes him look good. I also tend to take a dim view of how the entire "Iconic Committee" process managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory -- rejecting the Delta Wing did not help matters, much less that it has become, to be generous, a second tier "spec" formula. This series is still on life-support, still struggling to survive, still generally irrelevant, and the clock continues to run down towards zero....

It was the Pyrrhic victory that many predicted when Tony George began all this nonsense in 1994. I doubt that despite the efforts of Randy Bernard last year and the coming year or two that he will be able to much more than stablize the series and not let it drift much further into the muck and mire that it was heading headlong. One must give Bernard credit for at least providing an element of hope that has long been missing from the series. As to whether that hope is justified is another matter and probably not entirely in Bernard's hands to be honest.

Leo Krupe
11th February 2011, 01:34
I'm impressed with him. I think he's done a world of good, and the series is getting good PR. Sponsors are signing onboard, and believe me, there's interest from others. Naturally we'll have to wait and see what happens from here on out, but I for one have a good feeling about the future. And I say that as an old CART/CC fan.

So Randy's gotten me back into the fold, and while I have no way of knowing for certain, somehow I doubt I'm the only one.