PDA

View Full Version : Firestone leaving the series?

EagleEye
4th January 2011, 23:43
I just heard about this, that curt Cavin has indicated that Firestone may be leaving the series. Their contract was up on December 31st, and they would like to discuss an "exit strategy".

I'm not sure it has been posted on the Star yet, and I did not see this one coming.

With parent company Bridgestone pulling out of F1, it might be a cost reduction plan, or just an attempt to get a better deal.

If they leave it would be a huge blow to the series, as Honda and Firestone have spent millions promoting the series.

EagleEye
4th January 2011, 23:45
http://blogs.indystar.com/racingexpert/2011/01/04/jan-4-firestone-on-its-way-out/

Not good, but we shall wait and see. I'll try to get some info....

Easy Drifter
5th January 2011, 00:27
A big blow if it happens. It would also leave Firestone/Bridgestone supporting very little racing. Firestone as it was then did it once before.
I expect someone would step in. Possibly Cooper or one of the Korean companies or even Hoosier. Unlikely to be Goodyear as they have the taxi cabs and WoO.
Having lost the WoO Hoosier might be a good choice.
Sure would throw the infamous cat in among the pigeons as everyone from the tire Co. to the teams tried to figure out what works.
OK folks lets have a real discussion on this but please keep it polite and NO CART VS IRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chamoo
5th January 2011, 02:07
I know some people are worried about tire wars breaking out, but having competition in 2012 might entice them to stay on board. They would only have to produce half the tires, put the costs they would save into R&D so they don't spend any extra money, and would be able to market themselves as beating a Michelin or Goodyear or Kuhmo or Cooper Tires.

I wonder if the Bridgestone arm of the company would be willing to fill their void? They would simply be changing the name on the tires, and would cost them much less then F1 did.

In 2012, I would like to see a different tire manufacturer in Indy Lights then Izod Indycar Series. That way, if something like this happens, we'd have someone with some recent open wheel experience that would be a very real option of filling in.

I know it is dangerous, but I want to see tire wars in 2012. I don't enjoy seeing people hurt, but this sport has gotten so safe (which is of course a positive) it has lost respect among the fans, and even the drivers show a lack of respect because of the levels of safety they have now.

Tire competition would infuse more money into the series, would add another story line to 2012, and would be a welcome sight in my eyes.

MDS
5th January 2011, 04:51
It's bad but it all depends how much notice Randy and the front office has had to deal with this and when the out clause hits on the contract. I don't have any knowledge of what's going on but I would bet that if they didn't renew the contract they are probably locked in through 2011 because three months before the season could be a disaster... so unless TG was massively stupid when he signed the thing there's probably no reason to panic.

If they have a year they can get bids from different companies (Which they should have been doing anyway) and hopefully land a solid partner.

I would think the most logical choice would be Cooper, they're an American company with a world-wide reach they've been the supplier for A1GP and they put in a bid to be a Formula 1 supplier. If they want it they're probably the best option. They want to grow their market share.... who knows

If Michelin were interested that would be a huge amount of support for the ICS, they're still pissed at the FIA and Bernie so maybe they they'd like to take over Indycar.

While Firestone leaving is bad its an opportunity.

Enjun Pullr
5th January 2011, 05:29
If this is true, it gives rise to doubt there was much notice.

I thought Gossage just signed Firestone in 2010 to a multi-year contract as the title sponsor for Texas.

V12
5th January 2011, 10:00
Could be good if it means we end up with multiple tyre suppliers again, probably end up with another boring Pirelli control-tyre situation like F1 though, or something like that.

I honestly don't get why some people are so down on tyre wars. The Firestone/Goodyear battles of the mid-90s produced some great racing and interesting results. OK it got a bit one-sided towards the end with the Goodyear-shod Penske and Walker cars way further back than they should have been, but two or more fully committed, reasonably matched companies going at it has always improved the spectacle.

With testing restrictions already in place it doesn't need to become an arms race either.

Of course if there's only one taker then so be it, but at least leave the opportunity there...

Dr. Krogshöj
5th January 2011, 10:57
I've just drunk a little Kool-Aid so I say this: they circulate this rumour intentionally to a make a big deal out of the announcement of Firestone's contract extension, something that people wouldn't pay much attention to otherwise. Realistically, I'm worried because Firestone is much more than a tyre supplier to IndyCar, it's a part of its history. And they make cool ads.

Lousada
5th January 2011, 12:27
They probably don't want to shell out the R&D for the new car.
After years of the perfect Dallara/Honda/Firestone, 2012 will have variations in chassis, engines and now also tyres. It will be a fresh start for everyone.

EagleEye
5th January 2011, 16:28
I'm shocked at the news that Firestone might leave at the end of the 2011 season.

Bridgestone has been in a major cost reduction mode since the auto industry and housing industry flat lined in 2008. Bridgestone has several companies under its umbrella including Firestone that are invloved in several industies other than just automotive.

Firestone has several companies under its umbrella, inluding roofing systems, Fuzion tires (sp), Bandag, natural rubber, industrial products etc. The auto industry has recovered a bit, but still lags behind the production numbers from the industries biggest years.

Leaving F1, was done after they were not able to get a more favorable deal to redcue costs. I would believe the same is what is going with Firestone and Indycar.

The other potential reason might be their move to another series. I can state, for a fact, that a "NASCAR Type" car has been testing, in an unmarked car, with unmarked tires, with a crew in unmarked uniforms from a well known team that races in multiple series, with a driver who has a longtime relationship with Firestone's racing tire group. I stumbled on them at a track in late 2009, so I will not enter into any disputes on this. And the guy in the white suit and helmet was not my good friend Ben Collins during his stint as The Stig.

IF they are moving to another series called NASCAR and not merely cutting costs, it would be a heavy blow to Indycar racing.

That being said, IF it happens, there could be an opportunity for another tire or multiple tire manufactures to enter the series. The big companies like Continental, Michelin, Goodyear and possibly the smaller groups like Falken, Hankook, etc. might give it a go.

I know some like tire competition, but most teams perfer a set series tire supplier which leels the playing field. Owners like a tire war since it can lead to more money, but we have time to digest what actually happens.

anthonyvop
5th January 2011, 17:35
While it would be a loss if Bridgestone/Firestone leaves the ICS I can see other Tire companies stepping in. Not necessarily with the same sweetheart deal but at least a supplier.

Continental Tire has been dumping huge $$$ in various series as has Pirelli and BFGoodrich.

chuck34
5th January 2011, 17:51
I heard some rumblings of Firestone leaving about a year ago, but then the "talk" went away. Now it appears it's back. Does anyone know for sure, are they supplying tires for 2011 or not? I've heard both.

And Eagle Eye, I'm fairly certain I know exactly what you are talking about. So for what it's worth I'm hearing/have heard the same thing. So maybe that makes it a bit "stronger" rumor?

SarahFan
5th January 2011, 17:52
question for the class:

is firestone currently providing tires and relative technical support to all indycar participants at no cost?

DBell
5th January 2011, 20:06
Here is a couple of articles I saw on this.

Robin's take:
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-indycar-negotiating-to-extend-firestone-deal

A short article on a F1 site:
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/indycar-series-news/250034/concern-raised-over-firestone-s-indy-future/

Looks like Firestone/Bridgestone may stay if they get what they want, whatever that is.

Interesting stuff by EE on secret Nascar tire testing. Ganassi/Montoya in white?

Enjun Pullr
6th January 2011, 03:38
If you want to roll things down the grassy knoll:

Dan Partel is the CEO of Delta Wing LLC.

He was a longterm executive at Firestone.

Firestone didn't have great reservations about developing a new breed of racing tires when they were given the design criteria by Ben Bowlby. Reads like they devoted a bit of effort to it some months ago.

The prototype displayed on Firestone's stage at the Chicago Auto Show was shod with the first iteration of this new front tire construction.

Has anyone said the Delta Wing was dead yet?

Most all of that has been written in snippets by Gordon Kirby during the past year. The part about Partel I found in research when his name first surfaced as a member of Delta Wing last January.

Maybe Yokohama owns a black helicopter. I am an "Avid" fan of their consumer products.

Chamoo
6th January 2011, 04:02
Interesting stuff by EE on secret Nascar tire testing. Ganassi/Montoya in white?

It's actually Pruett and Ganassi, and it isn't all that big a secret.

Article Here (http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/story/?id=260341&lid=headline&lpos=topS)

This was a while ago, but I would assume it has been going on for a while now.

EagleEye
7th January 2011, 01:07
I was not aware that the secret was out. I had pm'd Dbell with the team, and driver but I saw them in '09 at a different track. All the key players from Firestone were there.

Notable in the post was this tidbit:

"Since 2000, Goodyear has been the exclusive tire supplier to NASCAR and their current deal goes through 2011."

So, Goodyear's deal ends at the end of 2011, and Firestone's deal ends at the end of 2011. Could be interesting.

I did ask one of the tie guys I know well, and as you expect he could not say a lot, but he said the racing division will be racing in 2012 and beyond...

And Enjun Puller has some great points...Firestone was present when the Delta Wing was revealed, and was one of the proponents for the concept to take shape. As far as I know, Delta Wing is not dead and might make its way to a series...

EagleEye
20th January 2011, 18:11
I had an interesting conversation with a person in the know.

Firestone has indicated that it only sees about 1/10th the return on its investment in Indycar, due to low TV ratings. Firestone indicates the only race series of note in the US, is NASCAR, and they would love to take part if NASCAR allowed others to compete, or Goodyear makes an exit.

It looks like Firestone will leave in 2011 unless the teams cover the costs for tires, and Firestone reduces its other marketing funds.

gibby761
22nd January 2011, 07:45
Well now this is hilarious, boy everyone couldnt kiss their ass enough and kick Goodyear enough from the teams all the way to te media. Everyone wanted to give Firestone all the credit for beating Goodyear and no one ever really sat back and looked at the facts, for instance Goodyear was saddled with Penske using their own chassis and mercedes engines and an over the hill addict for a driver. Newman/Haas had an even worse Swift chassis,the ford at times had more power than the Mercedes but and I say a big but neither Ford or Mercedes was ever even close to Honda, thats a fact. Yet all you heard was Firestone beating Goodyear, it was such a double standard, when Scott Brayton clearly failed a tire and lost his life not one single Journalist nor the sanctioning body ever even asked them a single question and they were out there running 15 minutes later. They lied and cheated from day one and everybody just smiled and let it go. And after being blamed by teams for losing and I might add not one single team that left Goodyear after the war started ever bettered their performance, Goodyear left and now they can reap what they sowed. HAHAHAHAHA :D :D :D :D

Mark in Oshawa
25th January 2011, 16:54
Not sure what side Gibby is on there.......

I think if Firestone leaves, someone will fill the void, but we lose a bit of history. Then again, when I grew up Firestone was pretty much in the past and it was all Goodyear then anyhow, so Firestone coming along actually was new to me when they did show.

I personally think a tire war wont happen, tire companies don't like the R and D costs that go through the roof when you are fighting for your reputation in a major series. If Firestone walks (and I think they may to go take over NASCAR from Goodyear), someone will step in to the breech and life will move on.

DanicaFan
25th January 2011, 20:50
I hope Firestone stays in the series. They have made the best tire in all of racing. Here is thier best TV commercial...

http://www.youtube.com/user/danicafanatic?feature=mhum#p/f/89/AxtoM5JEZNg

DanicaFan
25th January 2011, 20:53
I hope they stay with the series. They make the best tire period, racing or otherwise.

Here is a clip of thier best TV commercial. Love this clip and it brings back good memories from 2008 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway..

AxtoM5JEZNg

Docc
21st February 2011, 12:12
Doesn't look good for Firestone, I think we will soon find out who the new tire supplier will be.