PDA

View Full Version : New TV Package for ALMS

dataman1
4th January 2011, 18:33
http://www.americanlemans.com/primary1. ... news|15452 (http://www.americanlemans.com/primary1.php?cat=news|15452)

While I see benefits from ESPN/ABC to the sponsors and series in obtaining more household coverage and potential new viewers I will miss the marathon coverage offered by Speed Network for we gearheads.

I'd like to hear others thoughts.

FormerFF
5th January 2011, 03:08
While I'll certainly miss Speed's coverage of the races, I think that the ALMS is very forward looking in this arrangement. For a series that relies so heavily on endurance racing, live TV coverage is problematic, and the IP TV coverage that ESPN3 provides probably makes more sense.

Personally, I can see a day where broadcast, cable and satellite providers cease to exist, and all video content will be delivered over the web. You'll just subscribe to the content you want.

harvick#1
5th January 2011, 16:58
the only thing I like is espn3 because now I can actually watch the races and not rely on justin.tv and then just live timing and scoring to pay attention to the race.

it really bites that there is no live coverage on race day, but what did you expect, its ABC/ESPN, the one channel that truely gives 2 craps over racing

wedge
17th January 2011, 16:03
Good that ALMS gets mainstream coverage in the US again, very sad that Speed won't pick up the proper enduros like PLM and Sebring.

Who's going to be in the commentary booth?

Really enjoy Dorsey Schroeder's musings which trumps Radio LM's coverage.

billiaml
20th January 2011, 16:21
They got a new TV package & I got a new TV. Sounds like it'll be a good year :D

harvick#1
20th January 2011, 19:45
I got a new computer monitor :p : thats whats really needed, a nice 27" 1080P to watch it on espn3 which is a great service if you do not wish to overpay for PPV packages :laugh:

cjent
21st January 2011, 21:58
I like on-line viewing. I have enjoyed GT1 and GT3 live on their websites, and I think this will be very good. Speed needs on-line viewing so they can do the Le Mans 24!

Jag_Warrior
22nd January 2011, 02:42
I absolutely hated the docu-drama style broadcasts last season (it was a good take-off on the NFL Films thing... but you don't do that until the season is OVER!) And for me to make this ESPN3 thing work, I'd have to switch to a different package or internet provider. And unless Tata brings in a two car Jaguar LMP team to start the season, I don't really feel motivated to do that.

I guess I need to read the article again, but I'm assuming this does not affect Speed's Le Mans coverage? As long as they don't screw with Le Mans, I can live with whatever else they do (or not).

dataman1
28th January 2011, 14:51
Jag, The TV crew guys that shot the footage were sporting apparel that had "NFL Films" logos. Hmm?

BobbyC
1st February 2011, 22:56
the only thing I like is espn3 because now I can actually watch the races and not rely on justin.tv and then just live timing and scoring to pay attention to the race.

it really bites that there is no live coverage on race day, but what did you expect, its ABC/ESPN, the one channel that truely gives 2 craps over racing

If I'm a sponsor, I'd be miffed. ESPN3.COM would be clogged by the number of Netflix users and the ignorance of the fans shows. No reason to raise per-subscriber fees to get live racing it seems.

Jag_Warrior
23rd April 2011, 02:01
At the internet provider that I plan to switch to for my DSL, I was just told by a customer service rep that they don't offer ESPN3... and have no plans to do so in the immediate future. Well, that sucks... :(

Maybe this is the wave of the future. But for right now, I'm afraid that ALMS is maybe a little too far ahead of the curve with this decision. All I know is, I've been a fan of this series since 1999 and now I'm basically shut out of seeing the races in the way that I'd like to.

Jag_Warrior
23rd April 2011, 03:11
BTW, I cruised through a few of my old racing haunts on the internet. And it seems that more than a few of us ALMS fans have been receiving this message when we go to ESPN3.

In order to access ESPN3.com, you must receive your Internet service or, in some instances, your television service through one of the providers listed below. In addition, viewers on U.S. college campuses and military bases are always able to access ESPN3.com.

Your current network falls outside of these categories. Please select your provider from the list. If you can't find your provider, select "Not Found" at the bottom.

Mr. Atherton, you've done a great job over the years. But this is something that you and your new broadcast partner need to get fixed ASAP!

anthonyvop
25th April 2011, 18:25
woops

FormerFF
2nd May 2011, 02:28
Finally got around to watching ALMS Long Beach. For someone like me who almost never gets to watch races in real time, ESPN3 is the bee's knees.

Mark in Oshawa
9th May 2011, 04:56
Well We have no option anywhere on Canadian TV to Watch ALMS. Dumb, really Dumb. The reality is they have shot themselves in the foot on this deal......

slorydn1
13th May 2011, 18:04
Well We have no option anywhere on Canadian TV to Watch ALMS. Dumb, really Dumb. The reality is they have shot themselves in the foot on this deal......

Don't feel bad. We have no option to watch it here in Eastern NC either except in tape delayed,, edited for time slot form on ABC a week after the race is run....by which time I already know the outcome and no longer wish to see it.

They didn't just shoot themselves in their foot, they've blown it clean off....

Oh well, Grand Am will be at VIR this weekend, Guess I'll have to make do.....

BobbyC
9th July 2011, 18:02
The ALMS just announced a live Canadian television package. Go figure -- everywhere you have live television except in the US.

ROGERS SPORTSNET TO CARRY AMERICAN LE MANS RACES LIVE IN CANADA (http://www.americanlemans.com/primary1.php?cat=news|15910)