555-04Q2
4th January 2011, 14:43
...is keeping me up at night :p :

Anyone else playing GT5 around here :?:

Alfa Fan
4th January 2011, 16:20
Yes.

It's very very addictive isn't it!

I'm level 30 A-Spec and level 24 B-Spec atm.

Haven't got round to doing Suzuka 1000km, thats next race to do. Vettel challenge is impossible though I'm finding, even on a wheel...looks like it might be getting to level 40 B-Spec for me to get the X1, although that will take a ridiculous length of time.

555-04Q2
5th January 2011, 05:06
Good to see someone else is also addicted! I love the franchise since I discovered GT3.

I've only had GT5 for about two weeks so I am only on level 23 A-Spec. Haven't tried the B-Spec level yet as I prefer to race not manage. May give B-Spec a go tonight though!

We need to start a GT5 forum race challenge soon!

A.F.F.
5th January 2011, 19:28
:wave:

I played the game to a level 24 and then I deleted it and started all over again. Why? Because I made it all too easy by tuning the cars I had too superior. I couldn't live with that fundamentally wrong approach to game so I started it again. Now I'm level 10 driving non-tuned cars and boy I love the races wwhen they're tight and hard. :D

I also bring those cars to Monaco and have a lap there at practise mode.

Naturally, I collect all the rallycars from the game to my carage. :D

The snow- and dirt-tracks are poor but all the other tracks are pretty damn good. I do like the game very much and I have to admit it's very addictive.

Oh and btw, I'm a GT veteran from the game 1.

A.F.F.
5th January 2011, 19:30
Oh, and I also take them to Top Gear track and lap them there. :)

Alfa Fan
6th January 2011, 00:42
Good to see someone else is also addicted! I love the franchise since I discovered GT3.

I've only had GT5 for about two weeks so I am only on level 23 A-Spec. Haven't tried the B-Spec level yet as I prefer to race not manage. May give B-Spec a go tonight though!

We need to start a GT5 forum race challenge soon!

What did you use for Historic Racing Car Cup? I had to do B-Spec up to "Like The Wind" to get the Toyota 7 Race Car '70.

Once I'd done the full A-Spec (minus endurance races) properly I allowed myself to do the birthday exploit so I could have Chaparral 2J and Ferrari 330 P4 etc

555-04Q2
6th January 2011, 05:01
What did you use for Historic Racing Car Cup? I had to do B-Spec up to "Like The Wind" to get the Toyota 7 Race Car '70.

Once I'd done the full A-Spec (minus endurance races) properly I allowed myself to do the birthday exploit so I could have Chaparral 2J and Ferrari 330 P4 etc

I used a Lamborghini Countach and a Ferrari 512. I've tried it about 25 to 30 times and I still haven't won it yet :mad: It's been the only frustrating part of the game so far!

I think I may have to go your route to get the Toyota 7 Race Car '70 to win it! Thanks for the info there!

555-04Q2
6th January 2011, 05:04
The snow- and dirt-tracks are poor but all the other tracks are pretty damn good. I do like the game very much and I have to admit it's very addictive.

I have to agree. GT has never really had great dirt or snow tracks. It is the one area where the GT games have always lacked for me.

But it is kick a$$ good with the tarmac tracks!

ShiftingGears
6th January 2011, 05:21
Is the B-spec AI driver any less pathetic than in GT4?

It really had no purpose in GT4 besides to finish races more quickly, thanks to the fast forward function.

555-04Q2
6th January 2011, 05:30
Is the B-spec AI driver any less pathetic than in GT4?

It really had no purpose in GT4 besides to finish races more quickly, thanks to the fast forward function.

Don't know cause I haven't tried it yet on GT5. I also only used the B-Spec for the 24 hour endurance races in GT4. Raced for an hour or two and built up a lead, let the B-Spec driver lose it for me over the next few hours before racing again myself to win the race!

Maybe Alfa Fan can tell us if the new B-Spec in GT5 is better than it was in GT4.

Alfa Fan
6th January 2011, 07:57
B-Spec is a completely separate mode this time, it doesn't link up with A-Spec at all, other than same cars can be used in both and credits/cars won are interchangable.

There's no time acceleration and no way of pausing/saving though so it can get quite tedious. Not keen on it overall, but it was a necessary evil for me to get as far through the game as I have.

555-04Q2
6th January 2011, 09:57
So more of the same which means I will only do the B-Spec to win money and get cars (especially to get past the Historical Cars Challenge in A-Spec).

A.F.F.
6th January 2011, 16:55

I also used Lamborghini Countach. I upgraded it to the top and also bought a rear wing to give it stability. The first track was rather easy with maximum power Countach. Monaco track i had to try a couple of times before I changed gear ratio. With narrow track and short straights, the maximum acceleration was too much to other cars and Countach was actually superior to other cars and the win was easy there too. Naturally I had the soft racing tyres etc...

Malbec
6th January 2011, 18:15
B-Spec is a completely separate mode this time, it doesn't link up with A-Spec at all, other than same cars can be used in both and credits/cars won are interchangable.

There's no time acceleration and no way of pausing/saving though so it can get quite tedious. Not keen on it overall, but it was a necessary evil for me to get as far through the game as I have.

While I love GT5 I have to say that in many ways its pretty user unfriendly, especially as you go further in the game.

It seems like you can't quit a race series halfway through to switch off, then start where you left off like you could before, nor can you pause or speed up B-spec races even though they are 2-3 times longer than A-spec races. How do they expect non-geeks who have real lives to deal with to do the endurance races?

As for Monaco, I used a souped up Dodge Challenger converted to race spec to do it in A-Spec and a Toyota Can Am car to do it in B-spec.

555-04Q2
7th January 2011, 11:24
How about a challenge for the weekend boys and girls :?:

Post your best times...

Track: Grand Valley Speedway (normal)
Car: New Nissan GT-R roadcar (any mods you want to make, but only hard racing tyres allowed)
Weather: Normal

&

Track: High Speed Ring (normal)
Car: 2010 Subaru WRX STI (again any mods you want to make and any sports tyre compound you want to use)

See ya'll on Monday :)

306 Cosworth
7th January 2011, 16:47

What does that mean? :s

Edit - I know what you did now ;) Although how the hell did you change your DoB?

A.F.F.
7th January 2011, 18:03
How about a challenge for the weekend boys and girls :?:

Post your best times...

Track: Grand Valley Speedway (normal)
Car: New Nissan GT-R roadcar (any mods you want to make, but only hard racing tyres allowed)

&

Track: High Speed Ring (normal)
Car: 2010 Subaru WRX STI (again any mods you want to make and any sports tyre compound you want to use)

See ya'll on Monday :)

Unfortunately I don't have neither of those cars yet since I started the game all over :/

I look for future challenges :D

But nice idea 555 :up:

Sonic
8th January 2011, 10:18
Just got GT5 for chrimbo and may be a little hooked again.

I, like AFF, am enjoying the challenge of standard cars. I've reached level 10 so far so I certainly don't have any of the motor's to join in the challenges set here yet. :(

I never did any B spec on GT4 but if it's the only way I can get the X-1, so be it.

On a side note, is anyone else finding the licence tests ridiculously easy? It used to take me a few go's to get gold. But 90% of the time I can do it first time out of the box.

A.F.F.
8th January 2011, 15:49
On a side note, is anyone else finding the licence tests ridiculously easy? It used to take me a few go's to get gold. But 90% of the time I can do it first time out of the box.

I settle for pronze or silver but I do have to agree that comparing to previous GTs, licenses are very easy. I remember loosing my mind with some of the licenses in early GTS. Now first run is usually pronze at least :mark:

Glad to notice there are others who enjoy standard cars :up: I also like those historic vehicles :)

What comes to those superracecars, not so much....

Alfa Fan
8th January 2011, 16:13
Edit - I know what you did now ;) Although how the hell did you change your DoB?

You don't need to! New PSN account with the dob of today and year of car you want. Keep loading it up and opening the birthday ticket, delete game save data, reload, until you get the car which you want. Then befriend your main account with your new PSN account, gift the car, then delete your extra profile (as it can't send any more cars anymore) and create a new one with the year of the next car you want. Repeat until you get everything you want or get bored (it's cumbersome and time-consuming to do this, but I wouldn't have got the Chaparral 2D, 2J, Ford GT 40 '69, Ford MKIV '67, Ferrari P4 330 '67, Mazda 787B '91, Peugeot 905 '92 amongst others any other way :)

Sonic
8th January 2011, 17:48
I settle for pronze or silver but I do have to agree that comparing to previous GTs, licenses are very easy. I remember loosing my mind with some of the licenses in early GTS. Now first run is usually pronze at least :mark:

Glad to notice there are others who enjoy standard cars :up: I also like those historic vehicles :)

What comes to those superracecars, not so much....

Right with you on the historic front. I've got a Countach and a modern Lambo in the garage and I much prefer to take the '76 for a spin (often literally).

Old Eyes
8th January 2011, 21:47
I got my first PS3 and GT5 for Xmas (I'm 32!) and struggling to find the classic cars to complete the earlier rounds. Where the hell do I get them from.

Alfa Fan
8th January 2011, 21:55
I got my first PS3 and GT5 for Xmas (I'm 32!) and struggling to find the classic cars to complete the earlier rounds. Where the hell do I get them from.

Used Car Dealership :) Has all the old stuff. Something like the Lamborghini Countach '74 would be ideal.

Sonic
8th January 2011, 22:17

You can also win them by completing special tests etc. I won my Lambo that way.

ShiftingGears
9th January 2011, 11:03

Sounds abhorrent.

306 Cosworth
9th January 2011, 19:06
You don't need to! New PSN account with the dob of today and year of car you want. Keep loading it up and opening the birthday ticket, delete game save data, reload, until you get the car which you want. Then befriend your main account with your new PSN account, gift the car, then delete your extra profile (as it can't send any more cars anymore) and create a new one with the year of the next car you want. Repeat until you get everything you want or get bored (it's cumbersome and time-consuming to do this, but I wouldn't have got the Chaparral 2D, 2J, Ford GT 40 '69, Ford MKIV '67, Ferrari P4 330 '67, Mazda 787B '91, Peugeot 905 '92 amongst others any other way :)

Did you create a new user on your PS3 and then copy the game data over?

I've completed all the A-Spec races, except endurance and that damned historic race series!

Malbec
9th January 2011, 19:50
Has anyone else been trying the new seasonal races that change every few days? Its a really quick way to raise tons of cash and level up quickly. It doesn't take much to win the races and you can get up to 1 million XP and 1.5 million cash in one go - no kidding. Saved up for a Formula GT car in no time.

Alfa Fan
9th January 2011, 20:53
Did you create a new user on your PS3 and then copy the game data over?

I've completed all the A-Spec races, except endurance and that damned historic race series!

Create new user. Win the right car. Gift the car across PSN network to my main account. Delete new user. Repeat until you have all the cars you want :)

Good years to try

1966 - Jaguar XJ13 Le Mans
1967 - Ford GT40 Le Mans & Ferrari 330 P4 Le Mans
1969 - Ford MklV Le Mans
1970 - Toyota 7 Race Car & Chaparral 2D
1973 - Chaparral 2J
1991 - Mazda 787B Le Mans & Mercedes 190E DTM
1992 - Peugeot 905 Le Mans & Jaguar XJ220 Le Mans

306 Cosworth
9th January 2011, 20:53
Has anyone else been trying the new seasonal races that change every few days? Its a really quick way to raise tons of cash and level up quickly. It doesn't take much to win the races and you can get up to 1 million XP and 1.5 million cash in one go - no kidding. Saved up for a Formula GT car in no time.

Yeah the race in the C4 WRC for 1.5million credits (well and the rest) was ridiculously easy.

A.F.F.
9th January 2011, 23:07

I don't want to sound arrogant but I can't understand what there is so hard in historic race series?

306 Cosworth
9th January 2011, 23:24
I don't want to sound arrogant but I can't understand what there is so hard in historic race series?

Because I don't have a good enough or fast enough car for it!

A.F.F.
10th January 2011, 00:36
Because I don't have a good enough or fast enough car for it!

Ok....

... have you got Lamborghini Countach yet?

Malbec
10th January 2011, 01:31
Ok....

... have you got Lamborghini Countach yet?

Or buy a Dodge Challenger, do a race conversion and fully tune the engine. Its unstoppable and cheap.

555-04Q2
10th January 2011, 04:53
Unfortunately I don't have neither of those cars yet since I started the game all over :/

I look for future challenges :D

But nice idea 555 :up:

Go to Arcade Mode and you will find the cars there :) All challenges are in Arcade Mode, sorry I should have mentioned that!

555-04Q2
10th January 2011, 04:57
I'm having the same problem as 306 Cosworth, can't get past that bloody histoic cars series. Tried over 20 times now and still can't get it :mad:

Mainly use the 74 Lambo but with no luck.

555-04Q2
10th January 2011, 05:00
Ok...here are my times from the little challenge I put out on Friday:

Arcade Mode:

High Speed Ring - Subaru WRX STI '10 (soft sports tyres, std car)

Grand Valley Speedway - Nissan GTR '07 (racing hard tyres, std car)

Hopefully someone else did the challenge too !!!

A.F.F.
10th January 2011, 09:04
I'm nowhere near perfection myself btw.... I can't cope with those Nascar special events. Only managed to clear the first one. Others are too hard for me :mark:

About that historic race. You guys don't have to make the car fast, acceleration is the key. Once you get first, it's easy to dominate the race. Especially at Monaco. And there's plenty of changes to upgrade the car. I think I'll try that Challenger next time.

555-04Q2
13th January 2011, 14:19
C'mon guys we need to get some sort of a challenge series going here for GT5!!!

Who's interested?

A.F.F.
13th January 2011, 17:19
:wave:

I am :)

Alfa Fan
13th January 2011, 17:25
I'm in! :)

555-04Q2
14th January 2011, 05:47
Ok thanks A.F.F. and Alfa Fan. I'll wait another day or two to see if anyone else wants to join, then we will set up a challenge series :) How about we start it on Monday?

In the meantime get some practice! All races will be competed using Arcade Mode to try and keep cars as evenly matched as possible.

I will have the first round ready on Monday morning :)

306 Cosworth
14th January 2011, 13:09
Go on then

555-04Q2
14th January 2011, 13:14
You in 306 ???

306 Cosworth
14th January 2011, 13:19
Yeah why not. Haven't had another game in the PS3 since last year :laugh: Only just got above 7 million credits and only on level 28 A-Spec :( I want the Red Bull X2010!

555-04Q2
14th January 2011, 13:24
Good on ya man. Will add you to the list. That makes 4 of us so far.

You are not the only one that wants the RB X2010. Trying to get there myself! Still a while to go though from level 25 A-Spec :mad:

306 Cosworth
14th January 2011, 14:07
Yeah the amount of XP you need is crazy. Just over 500000 to get to level 29!

555-04Q2
14th January 2011, 14:10
I've been racing the last challenge in the Extreme Series against the GT cars. Good experience can be earned in that one. Still takes too feck!ng long to accumulate XP though !!!

555-04Q2
14th January 2011, 14:14
BTW, they need to change the restart system for the game. The other day I was on lap 47 of 60 in the first endurance race. I paused for a few minutes while I attended to my bladder and when I returned I accidentally bumped the toggle and chose restart (it doesn't say are you sure anymore). I have a new controller now, the other one magically met the wall :s tareup:

306 Cosworth
14th January 2011, 14:25
Yeah I'm one controller less now too thanks to this game!

555-04Q2
14th January 2011, 14:35
I feel for the poor, humble console controller...they take a lot of beatings for faults not of their own making :p :

Malbec
16th January 2011, 18:24
Only just got above 7 million credits and only on level 28 A-Spec :( I want the Red Bull X2010!

Why, do you have to buy the Red Bull? I had assumed you'd have to win it in a challenge.

306 Cosworth
16th January 2011, 19:37
You unlock the Red Bull challenge at Level 30 or you can win the Red Bull and Level 35 B-Spec

MrJan
17th January 2011, 10:46
Am I the only one that is quite bored by this game?

306 Cosworth
17th January 2011, 13:57
So i'm now down to 2.5 million credits having decided to purchase the Peugeot 908 HDi and the 94 McLaren F1 (my all time favourite dream car!)

I will get some screen shots up here soon with a few of me and my cars in action.

Alfa Fan
17th January 2011, 14:36
I'm going for a ridiculous car collection so it means so much money grinding..

Have bought (prices are approx)..

Alfa Romeo 155 DTM 1993 £1.5m
Audi Abt TT-R DTM 2002 £1m
Autobacs ARTA Garaiya JGTC 2003 £1m
BMW M3 GTR ALMS 2001 £1.5m
BMW V12 LMR Race Car 1999 £3m
Gillet Vertigo Le Mans 2004 £2m
Lamborghini NOMAD Diablo JGTC 2000 £1.5m
Lexus IS F Racing Concept 2008 £750k
Lister Storm V12 Race Car 1999 £1
Mercedes CLK Touring Car 2000 £1.5m
Nissan MOTUL PITWORK Z JGTC 2004 £1m
Nissan R92CP Race Car £3.5m
Opel Astra DTM £1m
Peugeot 908 HDI FAP Le Mans 2010 £4m
Toyota GT-ONE Race Car 1999 £3.5m
Toyota WEDSSPORTS CELICA (JGTC) 2003 £1m
Toyota SUPERAUTOBACS APEX MR-S (JGTC) 2000 £1m
Vauxhall Astra Super Touring Car £1m

won..

Audi R8 LMS 2009
Ford GT40 Le Mans 1969
Jaguar XJ13 Race Car 1966
Jaguar XJR9 LM Race Car 1988
Toyota 7 Race Car 1970
Toyota MINOLTA 88C-V Race Car 1989

birthday glitched (too tempting...)

Chaparral 2D Race Car 1967
Chaparral 2J Race Car 1970
Ferrari F40
Ferrari 330 P4 Race Car 1967
Ford GT40 Race Car 1969
Ford MkIV Race Car 1967
Mazda 787B Race Car 1991
Mercedes 190E 2.5 - 16 Evolution II Touring Car 1992
Mitsubishi Pajero Rally Raid Car 1985
Nissan R89C Le Mans 1989
Peugeot 905 Le Mans 1992
Sauber Mercedes C9 1989

555-04Q2
18th January 2011, 05:12
Hey guys, sorry, been hellova busy last few days. Looks like we will have to postone the GT5 challenge for a while :(

Brown, Jon Brow
19th January 2011, 17:42
Am I the only one that is quite bored by this game?

I find most driving games of this type quite boring. Racing to earn money to buy better cars is dull.

Meanwhile, I can't get enough of F1 2010.

A.F.F.
20th January 2011, 09:30
Hey guys, sorry, been hellova busy last few days. Looks like we will have to postone the GT5 challenge for a while :(

Don't worry, been very busy too. :)

AndySpeed
20th January 2011, 11:27
Vauxhall Astra Super Touring Car £1m

There's an Astra ST car? Don't recall that one ever having existed in reality...

I find most driving games of this type quite boring. Racing to earn money to buy better cars is dull.

Meanwhile, I can't get enough of F1 2010.

Seconded. Although man has always had a bit of a desire to 'hoard' stuff, apparently it dates back to the caveman days.

Meanwhile, I still love playing Race Driver: GRID!

MrJan
20th January 2011, 12:45
There's an Astra ST car? Don't recall that one ever having existed in reality...

Probably the DTM car which featured in GT3

Alfa Fan
25th January 2011, 14:14
Any news on the challenge series?

Announcement in-game today says the Seasonal Events are going to be a permanent addition, with new ones released at 3am Thursday morning every week!

306 Cosworth
25th January 2011, 20:31
Will be a good chance to raise the A-Spec level with the permanent seasonal events. Although I suspect the XP may reduce now they're permanent? Will be good for the credits though, i'm saving up for the F2007!

Alfa Fan
26th January 2011, 00:28
I very much doubt the credit/XP offerings will drastically change. PD realise it's a great way to let the obsessional players fill out their dream garages with all the cars they want; whilst still offering the casual gamer a great opportunity to buy some of the race cars for only an hours "work".

It massively extends the longevity of the game when your stuck in the mid-30s levelwise, with no wish to repeat enduros but still hundreds of thousands of XP away from unlocking the next race! I love the seasonals!

555-04Q2
26th January 2011, 09:59
Any news on the challenge series?

Sorry, guys, been really busy with kids birthdays, suppliers from Italy, China and the USA coming to see me this month. It's been a nightmare. Also have to plan for one our of our annual dealer conferences for next month. Need more hands!!!

As soon as I have a gap I will PM you all when the challenge will be listed. Otherwise, you are welcome to start one in the meantime and I will join if I can!

Peace mon :s mokin:

Malbec
31st January 2011, 07:12
Has anyone finished the Red Bull challenge then? I can barely keep the car on-track long enough to complete the outlap....

306 Cosworth
31st January 2011, 11:48
I just unlocked it and had a crack. Read the 'blurb' before the start of the race, I assumed I had an out lap and then the fast lap to beat the fastest lap. Turns out it's you're total time that counts from as soon as you start!

Was over 20 seconds slower on my first attempt, and thought f*ck this i've got an X2010 already.

A.F.F.
31st January 2011, 22:09
Since I started the game from the begin, I'm nowehre near Vettel-challenge.... god for bid that ;)

A.F.F.
1st March 2011, 23:07
Am I the only one to play GT5 ??

306 Cosworth
4th March 2011, 22:25
I'm bored of it now if i'm honest.

A.F.F.
12th March 2011, 19:02
Well I am not. I trying different cars, especially rally cars and those older, almost historic cars and they're lot of fun. I won't do any of those endurance races that's for sure and not keen about experience levels. I just drive :)

MrJan
13th March 2011, 17:57
I was bored of it within a week, barely got anywhere with it. The driving is so steralised that I just can't enjoy it and even a game like Race Driver Grid held my attention for longer.

janneppi
20th March 2011, 12:20
Well I am not. I trying different cars, especially rally cars and those older, almost historic cars and they're lot of fun. I won't do any of those endurance races that's for sure and not keen about experience levels. I just drive :)
My brother has GT5 and I occationally play with him. If were playing with a pad instead of wheel/pedals combo, only cars I'm even remotely close to him is his tuned WRC Focus in "my" tarmac settings.
First time I began fiddling with some suspension settings I went under his best time in the short Eigher something track. :)

It seems all the years of testing in Live for Speed wasn't a complete waste. :D

555-04Q2
12th May 2011, 15:12
After many hectic weeks I have finally had some time and been able to play a bit again. Just managed to get to level 30 and the SV challenge :) Can't handle the speed of the Red Bull Prototype though :(

Still enjoying the game :up:

Shifter
12th May 2011, 15:29
I'm not bored of GT5 yet but I'm really just pounding out laps on the nurburgring, all the versions of it. That's what keeps me coming back, I even have a spreadsheet on my computer of all the laps on the standard version of the track as a time-trial, what car, what tyres, which mods etc.

555-04Q2
12th May 2011, 15:31
I love The Ring :up:

I just wish that Spa had been added to the list of tracks...

MrJan
12th May 2011, 19:09
I've actually picked this up in the last week or so and it's starting to grow on me, largely because I use the 'practice' bit and do a one make race. Did a 3 lap race of the Nurburgring (change weather/change time) in F430 Scuderias and it was mad, needed real concentration in the wet. One thing that annoys me though is the rally section. I've just done the Loeb challenge and it's nothing like rallying, you have to drive really neatly, like you're on asphalt, or you suffer from the worst turbo lag in the world. I chucked it into a hairpin with a tweak of the handbrake and the car just sat still even though I had it floored. The same happens whenever you go slightly sideways, the throttle just cuts until the car is in a perfect straight line.

downtowndeco
17th May 2011, 05:06
The problem I've got w/these GT games is a guy has to slog away for centuries to unlock a lot of the "good" stuff. IMO it would be much better if right out of the gate you got 85% of the cars and tracks and then you could have at it. Yeah, sure it's nice to have the challenge & reward of winning & getting new stuff. But still, I have a life...: )

lcd
17th May 2011, 09:47
A GT5 tournament took place a couple of days ago, at a shopping mall In Athens,
dedicated to Acropolis Rally Of Greece 2011!

Here's the event's poster:

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/3981/metromallacropolis.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/571/metromallacropolis.jpg/)

555-04Q2
20th May 2011, 15:20
One thing that annoys me though is the rally section. I've just done the Loeb challenge and it's nothing like rallying, you have to drive really neatly, like you're on asphalt, or you suffer from the worst turbo lag in the world. I chucked it into a hairpin with a tweak of the handbrake and the car just sat still even though I had it floored. The same happens whenever you go slightly sideways, the throttle just cuts until the car is in a perfect straight line.

I agree 100% with you here. The GT series has always been poor with their rally sections of the game. You are not the only one irritated by the stupid turbo lag in the Loeb challenge. Peed me off so bad that I refuse to try it anymore. The rest of the game though is pretty good :up:

555-04Q2
1st June 2011, 12:22
Bit of info if anyone can help.

Which race series lets you win the Gran Turismo Open Wheel Formula car as a prize car? I have enough money to buy one, but it refuses to come up for sale in the used car dealerships section. When it did come up a while ago, I didn't have the cash to buy it and had to watch it dissapear :(

555-04Q2
3rd June 2011, 10:51
Anyone out there :?: :p :

A.F.F.
4th June 2011, 22:14
I still am. Still great game.

555-04Q2
9th June 2011, 07:13
Been twiddling around with the B-Spec side and while it is boring, it does provide some nice prize cars that can be sold for cash :)

Still waiting for the bl@@dy Gran Turismo Open Wheeler to pop up for sale though :angry:

Alfa Fan
9th June 2011, 13:24
Its always in the online dealership

555-04Q2
9th June 2011, 15:49
:up:

Brown, Jon Brow
26th July 2011, 17:17
I played GT5 for the first time this weekend and I have to say, for all the hype I was very dissapointed. The cars feel like they are floating, the steering has no precision and the A.I is dreadful. It's no better than Forza Motorsport.

F1 2010 has been the only recent racing game that as managed to hold my attention. Even though the handling is a bit arcady you can get to the limit fairly easily, and this makes the online racing so intense.

11th August 2011, 17:12
This is what I've been using as a reference. I hope it helps.

free video converter (http://www.downloadsversion.com/video-converter/video-converter.html)|download full version (http://www.versionfull.com/)|free downloads (http://www.downloadsversion.com/index.php?cmd=freedownload)

MrJan
15th July 2012, 22:51
Picked this up again tonight for the first time in months, managed about 30 minutes of play before I gave up, it really is a terrible driving game. For something that claims to be a simulation there is remarkably little input from the driver with the computer not allowing you to control thingsw as simple as opposite lock or even carry out a hanbrake turn. The collisions are completely unrealtistic and there is so little feeling that it's difficult to judge how fast you can actually take corners.

I would far rather play something like Dirt3 or even the beautifully title Supersonic Rocket Powered RC Battle Cars (or something like that) becuase both give me far more enjoyment and feel less steralised, possibly even more realistic. I used to love the GT series but GT4 wasn't as good as GT3 and GT5 is pretty much a waste of £40....in fact this evening I feel like it would be a waste of £5

Brown, Jon Brow
16th July 2012, 18:26
Picked this up again tonight for the first time in months, managed about 30 minutes of play before I gave up, it really is a terrible driving game. For something that claims to be a simulation there is remarkably little input from the driver with the computer not allowing you to control thingsw as simple as opposite lock or even carry out a hanbrake turn. The collisions are completely unrealtistic and there is so little feeling that it's difficult to judge how fast you can actually take corners.

I would far rather play something like Dirt3 or even the beautifully title Supersonic Rocket Powered RC Battle Cars (or something like that) becuase both give me far more enjoyment and feel less steralised, possibly even more realistic. I used to love the GT series but GT4 wasn't as good as GT3 and GT5 is pretty much a waste of £40....in fact this evening I feel like it would be a waste of £5

I played GT5 recently after playing Forza 4 and I couldn't believe how poor it was.

MrJan
16th July 2012, 18:49
I played GT5 recently after playing Forza 4 and I couldn't believe how poor it was.

What specifically annoyed me last night was that I kept trying to hold a slide but the computer was deciding how much lock I was allowed to put in, meaning that it just kept spearing me into the barriers. It wasn't even like the Race Driver games where it controls the slide beyond what is realistic, in GT5 it just over-corrects for you....although having done that in a real car I can confirm that the feeling of control in an over correcting situation is pretty similar :D

ShiftingGears
6th November 2012, 03:40
Bought it for completion last week (I have GT1-GT4) and I knew the faults of the game before I bought it, so I am not too surprised at the lesser aspects. But I will still highlight them.

The car list is still quite disappointing - while GT5 has more cars than any other game, that doesn't really matter when most of them have no real historic value. There are so many anonymous Japanese production cars included that I cannot imagine anyone having a serious interest in them, especially when racing modifications cannot be added, like in Gran Turismo 1 and 2.

Historic rally cars have all been copied and pasted from Gran Turismo 4, without at least adding the rally versions of vehicles that won championships, such as the RS1800 Escort, Ascona 400, Audi Quattro, Fiat 131, Alpine A110, Talbot Sunbeam Lotus and Lancia 037, as examples.

Instead you get rally cars that are present simply because they've been carried over from GT2 (when they were actually new), such as the 1999 Peugeot 206 and Ford Focus. The former of which was not particularly of note, and the latter bears the presentation car livery, that is, it did not even compete in any rallies with the livery shown in Gran Turismo 5. The Ford Focus livery was outdated by the time Gran Turismo 2 was released, and yet it has been kept, without modification, for over 10 years. The Subaru Impreza rally prototype from 2001 is still included, from when it was on GT3. My opinion of prototypes or concepts are that if they don't hold some historic value, aren't in some way unique or interesting, or aren't a current glimpse into the future of motoring, they shouldn't be on a video game.

Performance manufacturers new to Gran Turismo aren't without their faults either. The selection of supercars, especially Italian Supercars, is pretty minimal. The Lamborghini Miura included is a prototype, and only comes in one colour. In contrast there are over 100 Skylines, Mitsubishi GTO's, MX-5's, S2000s, NSX's and Civics that pad out the car list. Instead of wasting time editing car models in minor ways just so they can rename them as entirely new models, they could focus on adding depth to other manufacturers. Which brings me to the most important point.

There is essentially very little depth in most of the grids. Most historic cups will invariably feature more than one rival driving the same car because not enough time was spent in actually making different categories of car racing have real depth. Essentially none of these glaring problems from past Gran Turismo games have been rectified with GT5.

The graphics for the standard cars are pretty ordinary. The fact that there are different categories for cars based on the quality of their graphics should ring some alarm bells. If a racing game has been developed for five years I expect a little more than finding the experience of driving 80% of the cars being more or less identical to driving them on the Playstation 2. All so players can use the photoshoot function. I am sure there is some compromise between some obviously PS2-era graphics and the immaculate graphics of the premium cars, which makes for a strange comparison.

I find that in general, the selection of cars is for the most part is either Japan-centric and outdated, and when Polyphony Digital do put select cars in of different eras, the depth is so little that you couldn't fill a whole grid with different cars for several racing series. They could have done a lot more given a car list of 1000. I have little interest in driving many of the cars in GT5 because I've already drove them, in many cases, in Gran Turismo 1, 2, 3 and 4.

And B-Spec is still a colossal waste of time. I am hoping these issues get rectified for Gran Turismo 6, but I don't think this will happen. I would very much like to see Forza released for the PS3.