PDA

View Full Version : v8 Supercars - Roll centre changes

Allyc85
2nd January 2011, 16:34
Lad on another forum says you cant adjust the roll centre from in side the car during a race while im sure ive heard team radio and commentators say you can.

Whos right? :confused: ;)

Rollo
2nd January 2011, 21:10
http://www.v8supercars.com.au/newsarticle/teamvodafone-duo-grace-winton-podium/tabid/70/newsid/10092/default.aspx
The TeamVodafone driver provided most of the on track entertainment in the second half of the race, meticulously steering his Commodore past nine cars on his way to finishing second.
“I had a bit of luck off the start and managed to avoid any major contact,” Lowndes explained. “The car balance wasn’t ideal so we made a rear roll centre adjustment during the pitstop and it transformed the car"

http://www.v8supercar.com.au/newsarticle/dumbrell-battles-on-in-winton-race/tabid/70/newsid/10094/default.aspx
The crew changed rear tyres and made an adjustment to the lower rear roll centre during the stop. When Dumbrell threaded back into the field the car started to suffer from performance issues.

Most racing sedans run an adjustable Watt's linkage rear. Think of it as an inverted Panhard bar, which provides lateral location of the rear axle setup.

I don't think that it can be adjusted inside the car on the fly, because it would require some sort of torque screw device like a big screwdriver or a wrenchy thing.

Allyc85
2nd January 2011, 22:15
Cheers for posting up the links, it would appear I am wrong and must have mis-heard what the commentators/team radio said.

Ah well lol

RJL25
8th January 2011, 09:48
The drivers used to be able to adjust the roll centre inside the car in the same way that they adjust the anti-roll bars, I think they used a little electric motor or something which the driver could control, however this was banned a number of seasons ago now so they can now only be adjusted by the pit crew during a pit stop.

This might be where the confusion is coming from.

22nd February 2011, 08:55
If the car is on the frictionless surface, there could be no roll center, i think roll is caused by pushing and pulling tires against suspension. So dont know wheather we can adjust roll center inside the carinteresting stuff, even i am waiting for more replies...

[adverts link removed by Moderator]