PDA

View Full Version : WRC app for i phone or blackberry ?

fastboy
27th December 2010, 21:17
I am looking to buy a new i phone 4 or blackberry,and wanted to know what peoples experiences with the WRC app on both of these devices was ?
Is it easy to play World Rally Radio, and does it play it uninterupted ?
Also is it free to use ? Thanks for any answers.

Juha_Koo
27th December 2010, 22:52
I'm using it on my iPhone 4. Yes, it's totally free to use BUT ofcourse data transfer payments apply. I have a Finnish operator Elisa's slowest non-limited data package, 9,90€ per month. The radio plays without problems on 3G and also pretty well on EDGE. I'm guessing that with GPRS it might have some (serious) problems.

The radio feature is nice, because it can "multitask" in the application. So it plays while checking splits, news, etc. I don't remember now if you can listen to the radio while using some other application(s)...

Overall the application is nice, no retina graphics though, but it's not a major flaw. Sometimes I get random crashes, especially when checking out times, but it's nothing which would have irritated me too much. Let's just say that it's one of those apps that I always have in my phone. :)

Bit offtopic but I can't nothing but to recommend the iPhone 4. Lot's of great apps available (for free), really nice and simple to use - the interface is very, very nice. The touch screen with Retina graphics is epic. Camera takes good pictures, nowdays I only need my digital SLR in "special" occations like rallies, etc. moving targets. It also shoots 720p HD video which is truly outstanding quality. I can basically do everything with the iPhone which I have previously done with laptop while "on the road". :up:

GigiGalliNo1
30th December 2010, 07:31
iPhone 4 app is great with WRC, when you want to listen to World Rally Radio, best to have it connected to your WiFi connection but if you have data on your plan you should be all set reading the news and coverage of each rally on the app. :)

whereschris
30th December 2010, 08:31
The WRC app is ok and rally radio plays easily when in a WiFi zone. However, I've found that it needs a very good phone signal to play without disruption when using the 3g capability. When we were on rally GB this year I could not get enough signal to run the app but I could get enough to get the latest times etc from the i rally app which is pretty good - you get more real news than on the WRC app.

Cheers

GigiGalliNo1
30th December 2010, 09:07
There were some tech difficulties at a few rally's this year. :)

Sulland
30th December 2010, 09:28
Anyone that knows if they are planning an iPad app, or if we need to just have the iPhone app in 2x ?

MrJan
30th December 2010, 12:45
For a free app it's very good, although I've not used the radio very much.

mm1
30th December 2010, 13:56
I have wrc app, but as it`s crap, I haven`t opened it too often, my prefered choices are autosport.com app and iRally, which is realy good!

jonas_mcrae
30th December 2010, 15:29
its ok, not the best app but gives good info while in rallyes.

by the way, get an android phone, motorola roid X or samsung galaxy S are amazing phones and can do everything and iphone does and more, plus they can be cheaper on some carriers, AND the best, you wont look like a Steve Jobs lover....

J4MIE
30th December 2010, 16:19
I use the android wrc app and it's ok for following rallies when I am away from home, but as I live in quite a rural area only get gprs speed for data unless I am in a larger town. However, radio seems to work ok with the odd gap. For the price, I'm not complaining :)

raybak
30th December 2010, 21:09
I use the android wrc app and it's ok for following rallies when I am away from home, but as I live in quite a rural area only get gprs speed for data unless I am in a larger town. However, radio seems to work ok with the odd gap. For the price, I'm not complaining :)
Yeah I use the Android app as well. It's quite good, the radio doesn't drop out too much here.

I'm developing a similar sort of app nswrally.com

Ray