PDA

View Full Version : Frankie Boyle ???

62motorsport
23rd December 2010, 16:20
Frankie Boyle , good or Bad ??

MrMetro
23rd December 2010, 16:34
I used to find him funny, but now I find his 'comedy' quite distasteful and unfunny.

Brown, Jon Brow
23rd December 2010, 18:47
Not ideal for a kids birthday party.

Zico
23rd December 2010, 20:53
I used to find him funny, but now I find his 'comedy' quite distasteful and unfunny.

I agree, he can be funny but the problem with his controversial, close to the bone humour is that he sometimes pushes the boundaries a bit too far.

306 Cosworth
23rd December 2010, 22:53
He was good on Mock the Week, but I think his normal stand ups and his new show on Channel 4 are quite offensive and not that funny.

AndySpeed
23rd December 2010, 23:38
Offensive, unfunny and irritating.

Drew
24th December 2010, 01:36
Hilarious, but his TV show is awful.

Bolton Midnight
24th December 2010, 08:28
FaF

if you are the sort of prude that gets easily offended here's a top tip

don't watch the likes of Frankie Boyle

MrMetro
24th December 2010, 11:29
FaF

No, I'm not easily offended, I just like comedians that are are funny. :p :

62motorsport
24th December 2010, 11:33
Actually I think he is a very quick funny guy, if people don't like it,turn off the box

Bolton Midnight
24th December 2010, 11:52
Frankie Boyle > Stephen K Amos

can't understand why SKA has his own series, is it because he's black or gay, certainly not based on talent

STDs are funnier

MrMetro
24th December 2010, 11:58

can't understand why SKA has his own series, is it because he's black or gay, certainly not based on talent

STDs are funnier

please don't starting ranting on about being PC and the labour party...

Bolton Midnight
24th December 2010, 12:04
please don't starting ranting on about being PC and the labour party...

I didn't, but you did, so is that why you think he has his own series?

MrMetro
24th December 2010, 12:09
I didn't, but you did, so is that why you think he has his own series?

Then why refer to him as black and gay?

Bolton Midnight
24th December 2010, 12:35
Then why refer to him as black and gay?

err because he is

Or is the truth now un PC or something?

MrMetro
24th December 2010, 12:49
err because he is

Or is the truth now un PC or something?

But why does that need pointing out?

Retro Formula 1
24th December 2010, 13:01
FaF

Well, I don't consider myself a prude and like off the wall, close to the bone comedy.

I used to be in creases watching FB but he seems to have degenerated into a caracature of himself but ignoring his natural comedy ability and instead trying harder and harder to be as shocking and distastfull as possible. His new show just isn't funny and he will soon be canned if he doesn't go back to what he does best; comedy.

If you like it then good luck but I suspect you will have to get your kicks elsewhere pretty soon.

AndySpeed
24th December 2010, 13:01
FaF

A bit like saying if you don't like witnessing crime don't leave the house.

I do have a right to think and express how I find him offensive you know.

I don't like his comedy and it's taking up valuable airtime for something better to be broadcast! :p :

MrMetro
24th December 2010, 13:10
Well, I don't consider myself a prude and like off the wall, close to the bone comedy.

I used to be in creases watching FB but he seems to have degenerated into a caracature of himself but ignoring his natural comedy ability and instead trying harder and harder to be as shocking and distastfull as possible. His new show just isn't funny and he will soon be canned if he doesn't go back to what he does best; comedy.

Very well said.

Bolton Midnight
24th December 2010, 13:18
A bit like saying if you don't like witnessing crime don't leave the house.

I do have a right to think and express how I find him offensive you know.

I don't like his comedy and it's taking up valuable airtime for something better to be broadcast! :p :

So you equate him having a pop at say Kerry Katona the same as being mugged, how bizarre. You don't have to watch him but you do need to leave the house, so your analogy is wrong.

Of course you have the right to not like him just the same as you have the right to switch off. Never understood folk who complain about TV shows, switch the bloody thing over FFS I despise Eastenders so I don't watch it - simple.

Something better; what like yet another cookery, reality Z list celebs, buying homes special?

Bolton Midnight
24th December 2010, 13:20

Maybe that is his remit - be shocking, maybe things have swung so far one way somebody needs to redress the balance. But to a certain extent I agree with you, bit like when Billy Connolly was told he was allowed to swear on air he was like a kid with a new toy (still mega funny though).

Did any of you find Jim Davidson or Bernard Manning funny, somehow I suspect you didn't.

MrMetro
24th December 2010, 13:23
Maybe that is his remit - be shocking, maybe things have swung so far one way somebody needs to redress the balance. But to a certain extent I agree with you, bit like when Billy Connolly was told he was allowed to swear on air he was like a kid with a new toy (still mega funny though).

Did any of you find Jim Davidson or Bernard Manning funny, somehow I suspect you didn't.

My view is that Boyle goes over the top with his 'shocking' humour. Its funny once, but after time, it gets very boring, IMO. And yes, I didn't find Davidson or Manning funny.

AndySpeed
24th December 2010, 13:26
Something better; what like yet another cookery, reality Z list celebs, buying homes special?

If only the 'other' broadcasters put effort into some good programming - what about a good documentary, nature programme, sports magazine, film show, or even some less abusive comedy!

Let's leave it at that. Merry Christmas.

MrMetro
24th December 2010, 13:29
I was young when they were phasing this ident out, but I remember it well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R86_TLuI51w

Bolton Midnight
24th December 2010, 13:56
My view is that Boyle goes over the top with his 'shocking' humour. Its funny once, but after time, it gets very boring, IMO. And yes, I didn't find Davidson or Manning funny.

The turn it off!

Figures, was Rik from the Young Ones somebody you aspired to be like?

MrMetro
24th December 2010, 14:00
The turn it off!

Figures, was Rik from the Young Ones somebody you aspired to be like?

Well, I don't turn the tv off, I just change the channel to something else actually. If i was to be anybody off the young ones, I would be Mike

Bolton Midnight
24th December 2010, 14:04
Well, I don't turn the tv off, I just change the channel to something else actually. If i was to be anybody off the young ones, I would be Mike

Turning over is good, then your fragile sensibility won't be damaged by what the nasty man is saying.

Sexist Mike, you sure, I'm getting a lot more Rik here I'm afraid

MrMetro
24th December 2010, 14:06
Turning over is good, then your fragile sensibility won't be damaged by what the nasty man is saying.

Sexist Mike, you sure, I'm getting a lot more Rik here I'm afraid

Have I done something to upset you?

Bolton Midnight
24th December 2010, 14:28
Have I done something to upset you?

No, why?

Just seeing it as my duty to point where you are going wrong, same for the other misguided lefties in here, you'll grow up eventually and realise the folly of your ways but I'm trying to speed it up.

MrMetro
24th December 2010, 14:34
No, why?

Just seeing it as my duty to point where you are going wrong, same for the other misguided lefties in here, you'll grow up eventually and realise the folly of your ways but I'm trying to speed it up.

So I dislike Boyles comedy, so I must be going wrong in life. Also, I voted Conservative in the general election.

62motorsport
24th December 2010, 14:39
I'll let you off because the topic was boyle,good or bad ?
plus it's xmas,goodwill to all men etc etc

AndySpeed
24th December 2010, 14:51

Stop bringing politics into it.

For the record, I also voted for the Conservatives and I read all sorts of daily newspapers depending on my mood.

But I don't like Frankie Boyle. Care to point out where you observe any links?

If I started a TV channel which hurled abuse at people in the community it would get taken down. So if that was to be thinly veiled in 'comedy' why is it wrong to express one's opinion about it? I have, and possibly never will, complain to Ofcom, but I still have an opinion.

Yes I could just stick my head in the sand, change channel and pretend he doesn't exist. But that sort of apathy would never get anything done.

I wouldn't go into so much detail where this just a comedy thread - but it isn't. It's a Frankie Boyle thread!

You are far too quick to lambaste anyone who doesn't share the same view as you.

MrMetro
24th December 2010, 14:59
You are far too quick to lambaste anyone who doesn't share the same view as you.

That is true. Bolton Midnight, please realise, not everyone shares your opinions, and they are not stupid or misguided. If your mature, you'll realise this and stop this debate right now. Merry Christmas.

wedge
24th December 2010, 15:52
Blatantly unfunny

A caricature of himself turning the c*ntroversial (typo pun) dial to 11 and not realising that less is more.

Captain VXR
24th December 2010, 15:53

STDs are funnier

Everyone has different tastes in humour, like they do in music etc
Never seen Stephen K Amos, but I do find Frankie Boyle pretty damn hilarious

Bolton Midnight
24th December 2010, 17:59
I voted Conservative in the general election.

First sensible thing you've said so far, well done, keep it up.

I believe in freedom of speech be that a mad Mullah or a comedian. I don't want things censoring just because they upset someone who is over sensitive.

Stephen K Amos should never have been given his own series, he is well crap as a comic.

MrMetro
24th December 2010, 18:20
First sensible thing you've said so far, well done, keep it up.

I believe in freedom of speech be that a mad Mullah or a comedian. I don't want things censoring just because they upset someone who is over sensitive.

Stephen K Amos should never have been given his own series, he is well crap as a comic.

Im not saying Boyle should be censored, I just don't find him funny and all he does with comedy is try and shock people, which anyone can do really, thats all. IN MY OPINION. I'm not saying it is a FACT, but my OPINION.

I don't find Russell Howard funny, but I don't want him censored, or Russell Brand (no its not because they are called russell)

I consider my other comments sensible as well, but you think otherwise, oh well. (Am I still a misguided leftie?)

Bolton Midnight
24th December 2010, 18:38
Im not saying Boyle should be censored, I just don't find him funny and all he does with comedy is try and shock people, which anyone can do really, thats all. IN MY OPINION. I'm not saying it is a FACT, but my OPINION.

I don't find Russell Howard funny, but I don't want him censored, or Russell Brand (no its not because they are called russell)

I consider my other comments sensible as well, but you think otherwise, oh well. (Am I still a misguided leftie?)

If you voted Tory then no, just wrong on a few matters, but you'll get sorted eventually.

Being funny and offensive is not as easy as just being offensive, the fact Boyle packs venues, sells DVDs galore etc shows he IS funny, just not to you.

Brand can be funny, but he makes my skin crawl (plus I'm jealous of all the slutty flange he seems to get).

Howard fairly average I'd say.

MrMetro
24th December 2010, 21:01
Then its settled. Merry Christmas everybody, I'm off to watch a movie in front of the fire while drinking some cider

:beer:

BDunnell
24th December 2010, 21:03
Being funny and offensive is not as easy as just being offensive, the fact Boyle packs venues, sells DVDs galore etc shows he IS funny, just not to you.

So the fact that more people watch EastEnders than go and see a Shakespeare production of an evening means EastEnders is automatically superior in quality to Shakespeare? Or does this only apply to things of which you approve?

Cooper_S
26th December 2010, 22:38

Roy Chubby Brown, Kevin Wilson, Jim Davidson and Bernard Manning also packed out venues and sell DVD's... they appeal to a certain demographic and make a good living (or did in the case of manning) But their brand of comedy is no longer acceptable on mainstream TV and Mr Boyle is heading straight to DVD and packed out theatres near you soon....

But thankfully off the TV if he continues as he is.

Drew
30th December 2010, 01:09

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't get the impression that you're black. I agree with you that he's not at all funny. I watched a bit of his show and most of his audience was black, so I assumed that i'm not his target audience and changed the channel.

MrMetro
12th January 2011, 12:15
I would like to point out that Boyle does not offend me personally, but its the fact he goes overboard in trying to offend everybody, and it gets boring after a while, IMO. I respect those who do find him funny, I just prefer other comedians

Dave B
12th January 2011, 13:02
Last year I went to see Frankie Boyle live, having been fairly impressed by his on-screen work.

I go to a lot of comedy, and he's the only comedian I've ever know to be booed, and that's from a self-selecting bunch of people who had paid money to be there, not a bunch of moaners who only tuned in to be offended.

He did the standard trick of engaging with the audience, but massively overstepped the line between mocking and insulting. It became a vicious circle: as the audience became more reluctant to play along Boyle became more and more insulting.

That said, I'm all for personal freedom. So long as Boyle stays within the law (eg libel or incitement) I'm happy for him to go about his legitimate business whether or not I find it amusing.

Mark
12th January 2011, 13:19
After having watched him on Mock the Week I rented his DVD standup routine and I have to say I was very disappointed, not particularly offensive, just not funny!

Plus Mock the Week is actually better without him.

Daniel
12th January 2011, 13:23
Plus Mock the Week is actually better without him.

Wouldn't be hard. It's dire at the best of times :p

Retro Formula 1
12th January 2011, 14:55
Mock the week is great in my opinion and really used to like FB but he has gone too far for the show now.

I hope he finds a balance.

Bolton Midnight
24th January 2011, 13:24
Roy Chubby Brown, Kevin Wilson, Jim Davidson and Bernard Manning also packed out venues and sell DVD's... they appeal to a certain demographic and make a good living (or did in the case of manning) But their brand of comedy is no longer acceptable on mainstream TV and Mr Boyle is heading straight to DVD and packed out theatres near you soon....

But thankfully off the TV if he continues as he is.

More's the pity the PC brigade have decided what the nation can and can not watch. Maybe not acceptable to you but which idiot died and made folk like you chief?

Bolton Midnight
24th January 2011, 13:28
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't get the impression that you're black. I agree with you that he's not at all funny. I watched a bit of his show and most of his audience was black, so I assumed that i'm not his target audience and changed the channel.

Don't know or care whether his target audience is black he should not have his own series on the BBC because he just is not funny.

Being black and gay should not be a quick track to fame / fortune. It needs to be earnt.

Retro Formula 1
24th January 2011, 13:41
The same people that made you? ;)

As it is, Frankie is unlikely to get a second series and when C4 is pulling the rug then you know he's gone too far.

Hopefully this will be the kick up the ass for him as I would welcome his talent back when he's funny again. If not, you will still be able to see him in dingy halls where likeminded individuals congregate to bemoan the smoking ban, immigrants stealing all the jobs and how much benefits you manage to claim.

Bolton Midnight
24th January 2011, 14:29
The same people that made you? ;)

Was not aware my parents were head censorship Joes, odd really as one is dead and the other has dementia - although it would make sense in view of some of the rubbish that is passed off as comedy these days on tele.

Retro Formula 1
24th January 2011, 14:43
Stranger and stranger BM. I think you've been watching too much Boyle :confused:

MrMetro
24th January 2011, 14:52
More's the pity the PC brigade have decided what the nation can and can not watch. Maybe not acceptable to you but which idiot died and made folk like you chief?

OH YES, I started to think that you had stopped posting on Motorsport Forums, but I was wrong! My favourite political sparring partner, its Mr Bolton Midnight!

MrJan
24th January 2011, 15:55

And there was me just thinking that it was because Brown, Davidson and Manning were all just unfunny ****s that no-one liked anymore.

Dave B
24th January 2011, 16:01
And there was me just thinking that it was because Brown, Davidson and Manning were all just unfunny ****s that no-one liked anymore.

:up: Although there are rumours that they are lined up as Sky Sports' new commentary team.

AndySpeed
24th January 2011, 16:06

Don't know or care whether his target audience is black he should not have his own series on the BBC because he just is not funny.

The evidence from your two consecutive posts suggests that if you did have control then you would stop Amos having his own show "because he just is not funny". Contradictory? ;)

Also just to refer back to Cooper_S' post, the fact that the comedians he mentions are no longer 'acceptable' for mainstream TV is likely as much to do with their ratings and sales as it is indicative of a shift in what the majority of the population wants to see presented in front of them. Doesn't necessarily mean he is, or wants to be, the chief pulling the strings!

Bolton Midnight
24th January 2011, 16:26
Nahh just been away Mr Rooster

Brown still fills big venues, Embassy Club was always jam packed - both a million times funnier than Amos will ever be. But of course being funny and unPC is bad news, much better to have unfunny minorities on mainstream television than risk upsetting anyone.

I'd quite gladly have talentless folk taken off the screens regardless of sexuality or colour.

Kumars funnier than Jim Davidson - see colour doesn't come into it, well if you're not a racist of course which so many of these politically correct tossers are.

BDunnell
24th January 2011, 17:25
More's the pity the PC brigade have decided what the nation can and can not watch.

Could you explain to us what this 'PC brigade' consists of? Can anyone join?

BDunnell
24th January 2011, 17:26

I have seldom agreed more with anything written on these forums.

MrMetro
24th January 2011, 17:47
uh-oh, some people aren't happy about Come Fly With Me: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1342025/David-Walliams-Matt-Lucass-BBC-spoof-Come-Fly-With-Me-accused-racism.html

Drew
24th January 2011, 19:41

Being black and gay should not be a quick track to fame / fortune. It needs to be earnt.

Funny isn't a constant, it's different for everybody. People you find are absolutely hilarious are hated by other people and vice versa. I'm sure there are plenty of people that find him hilarious. So why don't you do practice what you preach. Change the god damn channel and stop whining.

BDunnell
24th January 2011, 20:24
Can someone — preferably one of the tiresome types who bleats on about the scourge of 'political correctness' all the time — answer a question that's been bugging me, please? If I were to go up to someone and say that I thought their much-loved, recently-deceased grandmother was a ****, could I get away with it by claiming that I was being 'politically incorrect'?

Daniel
24th January 2011, 20:40
Can someone — preferably one of the tiresome types who bleats on about the scourge of 'political correctness' all the time — answer a question that's been bugging me, please? If I were to go up to someone and say that I thought their much-loved, recently-deceased grandmother was a ****, could I get away with it by claiming that I was being 'politically incorrect'?

Depends if the grandmother used to read the Daily Mail I guess?

Bolton Midnight
24th January 2011, 20:49
Another wrote: ‘Just watched Come Fly With Me? It’s like you woke up on a 1978 National Front comedy revue.’
The show, broadcast at 10pm, was the second most-watched show on Christmas Day, attracting an audience of 10.3million.

Some folk need to get out more, or better still just kill themselves

The replies seem more grounded as you'd expect from Mail readers

Bolton Midnight
24th January 2011, 20:55
Funny isn't a constant, it's different for everybody. People you find are absolutely hilarious are hated by other people and vice versa. I'm sure there are plenty of people that find him hilarious. So why don't you do practice what you preach. Change the god damn channel and stop whining.

Nobody on here has said Amos is funny though, so doesn't seem like anyone rates him. It's just tokenism and nothing else, spot of window dressing to appease the pro minority luvies.

BDunnell
24th January 2011, 20:57
[I]
Some folk need to get out more, or better still just kill themselves

So anyone who disagrees with your opinion on a TV programme should kill themselves? Excellent logic there.

Azumanga Davo
25th January 2011, 03:52
Nobody on here has said Amos is funny though, so doesn't seem like anyone rates him. It's just tokenism and nothing else, spot of window dressing to appease the pro minority luvies.

He's OK in my opinion. Certainly not the greatest in the world, though.

Dave B
25th January 2011, 09:50
uh-oh, some people aren't happy about Come Fly With Me: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1342025/David-Walliams-Matt-Lucass-BBC-spoof-Come-Fly-With-Me-accused-racism.html

It was ****.

Not racist, not anything-ist, just utterly dire.

Dave B
25th January 2011, 09:53

Amos is ok-ish, but I could reel off a list of white heterosexual comedians who are far worse and yet appear on TV regularly. Michael McIntyre and Peter Kay for starters, although that's my personal opinion. Comedy is subjective, if you prefer Boyle or even Jim Davidson then that's up to you, but to suggest that Amos be barred from TV while in the same breath whinging about being told what you can and cannot watch is absurdly hypocritical.

Bolton Midnight
25th January 2011, 10:26
Peter Kay is a god compared to Amos, think you're on your own there.

Don't much care for the whole Little Britain thing but can see why the majority would prefer it to Amos who by any standards just isn't funny.

MrJan
25th January 2011, 10:48
Peter Kay is a god compared to Amos, think you're on your own there.

Don't much care for the whole Little Britain thing but can see why the majority would prefer it to Amos who by any standards just isn't funny.

Kay has some very good material, but it's nothing groundbreaking and nearly all of it is repeated throughout his work. He's good at basic observations but so much of his standup is just rehashed stuff that has been in Phoenix Nights. I think that PN is a superb sitcom with some brilliant lines ("No Brian, the cock's optional") but his standup is weak.

I think Amos is ****e but obviously someone is watching (I saw in the paper today that Miranda won a bunch of awards, how the **** did that happen because that show is dire). Personally if I was going for 'quota' then someone like Reginald D. Hunter would be of much more worth.

Bolton Midnight
25th January 2011, 11:54
Seen RDH live, was pretty good, but when Kay did his live tour tickets were like gold dust - which I think about wraps it up. Although I think to really appreciate Kay you need to be Northern.

Miranda is female so yet more window dressing / tokenism. But she has to be funnier than that other comedienne Morganza or something like that, utter pish.

Even lefty Guardian readers know Amos is crap

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2010/dec/12/tv-2010-review-phil-hogan

Dave B
25th January 2011, 11:59
I respect (though disagree with) your opinion on Kay. I appreciate that he's popular, just not my cup of tea.

What I must question you on, though, is why Amos being black and Miranda Hart being female means that their appearance on our screens is "window dressing / tokenism".

Hart is immensely popular, and her show has picked up several awards. If you personally don't like her then again that's your choice, but you seem to have a genuine issue with race and gender.

MrJan
25th January 2011, 12:17
Seen RDH live, was pretty good, but when Kay did his live tour tickets were like gold dust - which I think about wraps it up. Although I think to really appreciate Kay you need to be Northern.

Don't be such a tit, of course you don't need to be northern to appreciate Kay.....unless being northern means that you are less susceptible to hearing the same material over and over. Sell out crowds don't prove anything IMO, people were falling over each other for Take That tickets but that doesn't mean that I'd rate them over, say, Ali Farka Toure or Amadou & Mariam.

BDunnell
25th January 2011, 12:40
Hart is immensely popular, and her show has picked up several awards. If you personally don't like her then again that's your choice, but you seem to have a genuine issue with race and gender.

I would suggest that someone such as our public school and university (both so exclusive that he refuses to name which they were)-educated friend here sees a female or black comedian on the TV and thinks that they could only possibly have got there as a result of 'political correctness'. It's almost as though he believes that women and black people are somehow incapable of being as funny as white males. I would, therefore, brand him sexist and racist, but given that he himself has already admitted to being a Daily Mail-reading Jim Davidson fan, to do so would be tautological.

Daniel
25th January 2011, 12:43
Miranda hart is truly dire to be fair. Reginald D Hunter is my fave though

Retro Formula 1
25th January 2011, 13:10
What I must question you on, though, is why Amos being black and Miranda Hart being female means that their appearance on our screens is "window dressing / tokenism".

Because we all know that nothing is funnier than a white, male, racist, bigot. Are you thick or summink.

I would be very surprised if old Mr Midnight trully believes the crap he writes and is merely winding up poor sensitive souls for enjoyment, which is rather sad, because occassionally he makes a trully thought provoking point.

Still, I could be wrong and he really is as he appears on this forum. Not in real life obviously because he would be scared witless but on here he can avenge his perceived wrongs and revell in his Alf Garnet clothes, Sid the Sexist views and Bernard Manning humour with impunity.

GridGirl
25th January 2011, 13:15

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2010/dec/12/tv-2010-review-phil-hogan

I saw the Peter Kay tour in November and approximately 80% of it was using heavily recycled material. I did have a good night out and was really looking forward to seeing him but I found myself extremely disappointed. If I'd have known how much of his stuff was old material I really wouldn't have bothered.

Bolton Midnight
25th January 2011, 13:32
Victoria Wood, Maureen Lipman, Jennifer Saunders funny and female
Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor, Reginald D Hunter, Chris Rock black and funny

see how it works?

talent is far more important than sex/colour to me, but then I'm not a racist or a clueless Guardian reader

getting your own shown purely because you tick some boxes is reversed prejudice and that my clueless chums is tokenism/window dressing and that stinks

As an awful lot of Kay's jokes are about life in the North I'd not expect someone from Exeter to fully appreciate them.

MrJan
25th January 2011, 13:40
As an awful lot of Kay's jokes are about life in the North I'd not expect someone from Exeter to fully appreciate them.

Well that's a wonderfully shortsighted arrogance. I understand them well enough, like I said Phoenix Nights is sublime at times (and of course we've all been laughing at the north for years anyway), the thing that I also understand is when I've heard them before. As GridGirl says a lot of his material is recycled, and it's that which I have an issue with.

BDunnell
25th January 2011, 13:58

An awful lot of the jokes in Father Ted are about Irish Catholicism, yet I, as an English atheist, get them. Why, pray, is the north of England such a special case in this respect? Oh, that's right — it isn't.

Daniel
25th January 2011, 14:02
Victoria Wood, Maureen Lipman, Jennifer Saunders funny and female
Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor, Reginald D Hunter, Chris Rock black and funny

see how it works?

talent is far more important than sex/colour to me, but then I'm not a racist or a clueless Guardian reader

getting your own shown purely because you tick some boxes is reversed prejudice and that my clueless chums is tokenism/window dressing and that stinks

You don't get it..... different people have different tastes. For instance I don't think Chris Rock is that funny from the standup I've seen with him in it but I don't claim that he's only famous because he's black.

Daniel
25th January 2011, 14:04
An awful lot of the jokes in Father Ted are about Irish Catholicism, yet I, as an English atheist, get them. Why, pray, is the north of England such a special case in this respect? Oh, that's right — it isn't.

I find the whole Northern thing a little bit patronising. Has anyone seen those Plusnet ads where they go on about being an honest Yorkshire company and everything. Wtf?

Dave B
25th January 2011, 14:10
I find the whole Northern thing a little bit patronising. Has anyone seen those Plusnet ads where they go on about being an honest Yorkshire company and everything. Wtf?

Ah, Plusnet. Based in Yorkshire they may be, but they're 100% owned by that well-known Northern local company, BT.

I'm beginning to understand the logic here. Comedians are fine on TV if they're funny (subjective), irrespective of gender or ethnicity, but if they're not funny (subjective) they're only there to fulfil some imaginary quota. Am I warm?

Daniel
25th January 2011, 14:15
Ah, Plusnet. Based in Yorkshire they may be, but they're 100% owned by that well-known Northern local company, BT.

I'm beginning to understand the logic here. Comedians are fine on TV if they're funny (subjective), irrespective of gender or ethnicity, but if they're not funny (subjective) they're only there to fulfil some imaginary quota. Am I warm?

That's funny :D Got to love branding.

BDunnell
25th January 2011, 14:41
You don't get it..... different people have different tastes. For instance I don't think Chris Rock is that funny from the standup I've seen with him in it but I don't claim that he's only famous because he's black.

Good point well made.

Bolton Midnight
25th January 2011, 18:11

Nearly

they would need to be able to represent some kind of minority wouldn't they?

As no point just having Monty Python on tele as they don't tick any boxes (now the gay one is dead)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8
I think that is funny

Daniel
25th January 2011, 18:15
Nearly

they would need to be able to represent some kind of minority wouldn't they?

As no point just having Monty Python on tele as they don't tick any boxes (now the gay one is dead)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8
I think that is funny

You just don't get it.....

Bolton Midnight
25th January 2011, 18:20
You just don't get it.....

So you honestly believe that the likes of Stephen K Amos got his own show purely on merit? And there was no gay/black box ticking going on? If you say yes then you are a bigger idiot than you appear, which I have to admit is a massive achievement. Well done.

Daniel
25th January 2011, 18:21
So you honestly believe that the likes of Stephen K Amos got his own show purely on merit? And there was no gay/black box ticking going on? If you say yes then you are a bigger idiot than you appear, which I have to admit is a massive achievement. Well done.

:laugh: If you believe that Amos got his show purely because he's black and gay then you're as big an idiot as you look, and that is still an achievement :)

Dave B
25th January 2011, 18:28

I honestly believe that Amos got his television break on the back of successful performances in comedy festivals around the world, where the audiences are extremely swift to judge on merit.

You don't find him funny, that's entirely your right. I must admit to only finding him mildly amusing myself. But when you go on about blacks and females only getting the job becuase of box-ticking, it's like having a conversation with Andy Gray.

Bolton Midnight
25th January 2011, 18:32
I honestly believe that Amos got his television break on the back of successful performances in comedy festivals around the world, where the audiences are extremely swift to judge on merit.

You don't find him funny, that's entirely your right. I must admit to only finding him mildly amusing myself. But when you go on about blacks and females only getting the job becuase of box-ticking, it's like having a conversation with Andy Gray.

It is the only rational explanation as nobody finds him remotely funny.

http://img405.imageshack.us/i/skyuz.jpg/

Daniel
25th January 2011, 18:34

http://img405.imageshack.us/i/skyuz.jpg/

WOW! The person who came up with that is an absolute GENIUS and should have a show of their own.

Oops I forgot the sarcasm tags on that post......

BDunnell
25th January 2011, 18:37

If you can prove that literally nobody, not one single person, finds him funny, then I would be willing to accept it. But you would be unable to.

BDunnell
25th January 2011, 18:45
Quote of the thread.. :up: :laugh:

Yes, there was I thinking that they were all in some way borderline or overtly-racist, xenophobic, paranoid, narrow-minded, dribbling fools. I must say, as with so much else, Bolton Midnight has forced me to re-evaluate my opinions and no mistake.

Daniel
25th January 2011, 18:48
Yes, there was I thinking that they were all in some way borderline or overtly-racist, xenophobic, paranoid, narrow-minded, dribbling fools. I must say, as with so much else, Bolton Midnight has forced me to re-evaluate my opinions and no mistake.

You should read some of the posts where he accuses people of saying something completely different to what they've actually said. It'll make you read other people's posts completely differently and you'll start to say stuff which has no relevance to the discussion on the thread at all.

He's one of the greatest thinkers of this century fo' shure!

BDunnell
25th January 2011, 18:49

I thought the correct modern form was fo sho'?

Daniel
25th January 2011, 18:50
I thought the correct modern form was fo sho'?

I am (and have always been) forever (fo' ever?) in your shadow ;)

Dave B
25th January 2011, 18:54
Fo shizzle, surely gentlemen?

Bolton Midnight
25th January 2011, 19:08
You should read some of the posts where he accuses people of saying something completely different to what they've actually said. It'll make you read other people's posts completely differently and you'll start to say stuff which has no relevance to the discussion on the thread at all.

Sorry if I'm confusing you, have a lie down in a dark room or maybe you shouldn't post one thing if you meant another.