PDA

View Full Version : BBC honours F1 team boss Williams

ArrowsFA1
19th December 2010, 20:14
Sir Frank Williams has received the Helen Rollason award at the 2010 BBC Sports Personality of the Year show.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/sports_personality_of_the_year/9301832.stm

DazzlaF1
19th December 2010, 21:20
Talk about triumph over adversity, I cant think of a more deserving man in motorsport worthy of that praise. And it feels great too as he is a fellow sandancer (South Shields born) like myself, so watching his cars is like following the local team in a way.

Well done Sir Frank and long live Williams :beer:

V12
20th December 2010, 01:55
Very classy move to give him the award, can't add much more to what they said in the presentation, but he's someone I've always respected and regardless of the team's fortunes in the past half-decade or so, nobody can ever take away what he and they achieved throughout the 80s and most of the 90s.

Mark
20th December 2010, 09:30
And it feels great too as he is a fellow sandancer (South Shields born)

I did not know that he was a local!

wedge
20th December 2010, 14:46
Talk about triumph over adversity, I cant think of a more deserving man in motorsport worthy of that praise.

Alex Zanardi

He lost his legs in a CART race in Germany 2001.

He too had the same spirit of overcoming adversity. He even designed his own stumps to fit to his own ligaments.

Still has the same active spirit of competition. Raced in WTCC with BMW with special controls and is now aiming to race in the London 2012 Paralympics

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/disability_sport/8249435.stm

Mark
20th December 2010, 17:08
The man was a legend well before his accident, of course.

DazzlaF1
20th December 2010, 19:21
I did not know that he was a local!

Of course he's a local lad, born in South Shields and spent most of his early childhood in Jarrow, One of our most famous sons including the likes of Eric Idle, Ridley Scott and Stan Mortensen :up:

Suprised you never knew that like, you not read that brilliant book about him by Maurice Hamilton?

UltimateDanGTR
20th December 2010, 19:47
The man has always been and always will be a legend, even if I have found some of his driver decisions strange over the years (Damon Hill being a prime example). A well deserved reward, He made a small team into a championship winning team against the might of Ferrari and Mclaren, I would assume always with a lower budget than their rivals.

Mark
21st December 2010, 09:44
It's easy to forget to those who started watching F1 in the past few years, just how much Williams achieved over the years in F1. For a long long time they either winning or challenging for titles, and it's rather saddening to see them making up the numbers these days.