17th December 2010, 23:01
Legard is going!! :D

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/16122010/23/legard-bbc.html

AndyL
18th December 2010, 02:02
http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=872062#post872062

THE_LIBERATOR
18th December 2010, 11:26
& You think Coulthard's dour drone will be any different? I don't want Legard but Coulthard, really?

It needs to be a journalist & a driver, trouble is it's hard to find a journalist with brains. Murray Walkers don't grow on trees.

ShiftingGears
18th December 2010, 13:50
& You think Coulthard's dour drone will be any different? I don't want Legard but Coulthard, really?

It needs to be a journalist & a driver, trouble is it's hard to find a journalist with brains. Murray Walkers don't grow on trees.

Murray had great enthusiasm which obviously captured a lot of fans, but you can't really argue that he had brains.

If one wants examples of consistently excellent sports commentating teams over a very long period of time, motorsport is generally not the place to look.

MAX_THRUST
18th December 2010, 17:34
Sorry Jonathan, but this is great news. Thought he was hopeless. Half the time he talked absolute rubbish, made some stupid comments (can't think of any now).

Brundell has been great and only got better since he started with ITV.

So James Allen, Ben Edwards, who else? Ben ould be my choice, he did f1 on eurosport in the early 90's CART on Europsort in the 90's and gets excited about the racing, hes done a great job on Touring cars on ITV.

Ben is my choice. James did CART as well on eurosport , I liked him until he did ITV. Went off him then but he knows more than jonathan does.

MAX_THRUST
18th December 2010, 17:35
Hope its not the aussie guy that foes the bike racing, he irritates the hell out of me.

thinking about it, you know who would be good????

Jeremy Clarkson. That would be hysterical.

Dr. Krogshöj
18th December 2010, 18:05
This is extraordinary news. But why DC? What about David Croft or Ben Edwards? People who are actually proven and popular motor racing play-by-play commentators...

Sonic
18th December 2010, 22:52
My letters to Father Christmas have been answered? WOOT!

I do wonder though why they are simply swapping like for like? I haw nothing against DC - I think he'll do quite well - but why the rigid format of two in the box? If its logistics of space etc in the booth then fair enough, but if 5 libe can have 4 on at once then surely we could have Crofty, Martin and DC (preferably Ant) on duty.

MAX_THRUST
19th December 2010, 13:12
I forgot about croft , he has been great on the RED button. I have been moaning at my other half how good he is, not that she cares!

And if Karun can't get a ride, have him in the box as ell.

Sonic
19th December 2010, 14:12
I forgot about croft , he has been great on the RED button. I have been moaning at my other half how good he is, not that she cares!

And if Karun can't get a ride, have him in the box as ell.

Now you are talking my language! Do away with the decades old commentator and expert line up and have a zoo format.

steveaki13
22nd December 2010, 16:19
Now you are talking my language! Do away with the decades old commentator and expert line up and have a zoo format.

I always like the Zoo :p

Bolton Midnight
23rd December 2010, 02:49

Tony Jardine or Simon Taylor

MW made far too many errors.

nigelred5
24th December 2010, 21:04

Be careful what you ask for. You could end up with the garbage Fox Sports forces on us for NASCAR races. :eek:

BDunnell
24th December 2010, 21:09

That would, in my view, be a ghastly mess.

DazzlaF1
24th December 2010, 22:40
For me, there are only 2 people worthy of it in my view. Crofty is one, Ben Edwards is the other although I do believe Edwards is on a multi year deal with ITV and I cant see him breaking that commitment.

David Croft would be the best choice in terms of practicality, he's already on the BBC's payroll, he's had 5 years expereience in Radio commentary and he's a fan too. People often listen to his 5live commentary instead of TV for a reason. One idea that can work is Crofty and his co-commentator Ant Davidson both move up to the TV booth with Brundle.

But still overall, I guess we all wish good old Murray was 20 years younger

Anubis
26th December 2010, 21:48
Been watching a lot more endurance racing as well as listening to Radio LeMans, and think John Hindhaugh would do a good job, although obviously he has a lot more GT knowledge than F1. Always found Martin Haven good as well, despite sometimes having rather wooden co-commentators at times. In terms of likely people, Chandhouk certainly impressed, but you'd rather see him in a car than talking about them.

IceWizard
27th December 2010, 10:30
I think David Croft would be the best out of the names mentioned. DC is a good pundit but feel he is best suited to remaining in that role. I will be glad to see the back of Jonathan Legard - I wonder if James Allen is available...

MrMetro
27th December 2010, 11:33
I still think that Toby Moody would be great for the job. He is great on Eurosports coverage of MotoGP, and it is known that he is a big F1 fan.