PDA

View Full Version : What's to become of Rubens?

ArrowsFA1
13th March 2007, 12:49
Reading this interview (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/57267) with Rubens I was struck by this:

The car is not a bad car compared to some of the others I've driven in the past. You can see that it's not a bad car - but to come a race winner? We are still a long way off. It's the second V8 car that I've driven and it's better than last year's. But it's still a long way from being perfect like the Ferraris used to be."
Maybe realistic, but hardly the kind of words to rally the troops as they prepare for a new season, and also is he beginning to look back rather than forward? Could we be seeing Rubens race his final F1 season?

Tazio
13th March 2007, 13:00
I think at this point in his career RB isn't afraid to call a spade a spade!

zoostation
13th March 2007, 13:01
probably

ioan
13th March 2007, 13:09
Maybe realistic, but hardly the kind of words to rally the troops as they prepare for a new season, and also is he beginning to look back rather than forward? Could we be seeing Rubens race his final F1 season?

So if he would have said that the car is championship winning material, while it isn't, it would have had a better effect on the team?
He said the car is good, better than last year's one, but it needs to improve quite a lot before Honda could battle the top teams for a championship. He didn't say the car is rubbish as some other did already this season.
For sure he knows something about real championship winning cars and also about how to work with winning teams, compared to most of the other F1 drivers.

wedge
13th March 2007, 13:31
The current Honda is an absolute dog. Everyone in Honda knows this. They're waiting for the new spec car which is supposed to be ready for Malaysia.

ArrowsFA1
13th March 2007, 13:46
The problem with that, as Renault have shown in the last couple of years, is you need a strong car at the very start of the season, otherwise you're playing catch-up, and doing that in F1 is like a donkey trying to reach the carrot on a stick :p :

As for Rubens, I agree with ioan that a large part of him being signed by Honda was his experience, particularly at Ferrari, and this may still prove to be a valuable asset, but he does have the appearance of someone who suspects his F1 career is coming to an end. If Davidson performs well in the Super Aguri then Honda have a ready-made replacement waiting in the wings.

N. Jones
13th March 2007, 14:29
To me he seems out of place at Honda - like he knows he is not the #1 driver at the team (even if that was never a point of contention). I think the perception is that he is the veteran on a team that is trying to break into the elite group in F1. On top of that it seems to me he is still learning his way around a new team with its own way of meetings, test time, car setups, race strategy, and so on.

Continental Op
13th March 2007, 14:42
He is a good racer and a nice chap but I think itīs bout time for new blood.

truefan72
13th March 2007, 15:01
Nothing wrong with his comments. He is right about the current state of affairs at Honda and there is no need for him to "rally the troops" these are all highly skilled and intelligent engineers. So now he should go out there and drive the heck out of the car, push it to its maximum;
that, I'm not sure he can do.

ArrowsFA1
13th March 2007, 15:30
...there is no need for him to "rally the troops" these are all highly skilled and intelligent engineers...
I disagree. One thing Michael Schumacher did very well was to motivate the team, and show that he valued their contribution as much as his own, something that Rubens would have witnessed first hand. Yes, they're all skilled and intelligent but everyone needs support and while it may not be in a drivers job description to do, it helps.

Ian McC
13th March 2007, 15:35
like he knows he is not the #1 driver at the team

So I guess he should feel at home then.

ioan
13th March 2007, 15:47
One thing Michael Schumacher did very well was to motivate the team, and show that he valued their contribution as much as his own...

His last 2 races were an obvious proof of that. :up:

pino
14th March 2007, 07:04
Could we be seeing Rubens race his final F1 season?

Are you praying for that ? One more season and He could beat Patrese record (257 races in F1) :p :

ArrowsFA1
14th March 2007, 07:58
:laugh: Of course that had nothing to do with my question ;) :s mokin:

Regardless of that though, I would be surprised to see Rubens in F1 at the start of the 2008 season.

Ian McC
14th March 2007, 08:40
Regardless of that though, I would be surprised to see Rubens in F1 at the start of the 2008 season.

Because you don't think he will perform well enough to keep his seat or because he is too old?

ArrowsFA1
14th March 2007, 08:52
I think he needs to improve his performances considerably compared with last year. He's not new to the team anymore. In itself his age isn't an issue, as long as he still produces good performances. If the team provide him with the car then Rubens is capable of giving them results, or at least he should be.

F1boat
14th March 2007, 13:57
Maybe he will drive in Honda F1 till Marco Andretti comes from the IRL - two more seasons, maybe.

ioan
14th March 2007, 14:00
In the near future he will be relegated to the "History and Nostalgia" forum! :p :

F1boat
14th March 2007, 14:03
Yes, that's why I'd be happy if he does well in his last seasons.

trumperZ06
14th March 2007, 14:42
Maybe he will drive in Honda F1 till Marco Andretti comes from the IRL - two more seasons, maybe.

;) Hhmmmm... seems likely !!!