PDA

View Full Version : English words I don't particularly like to say.

A.F.F.
8th December 2010, 23:32
Well, particularly is one of them. Some words just doesn't work with my tongue. And I have got at least moderate feedback of my spoken english.

It took me a very long time to figure out how to say words like development or specificly in speech. Now that I've learned it it's easy. But every now and then I run into very hard words to pronounce.

A squirrel for instance !! That's a frigging hard word to say if you're not a native speaking english !! Well, at least fo me it is. Rats on trees I say.

Have you guys any english words you try to avoid in speech ??

donKey jote
8th December 2010, 23:38
sure...
****, ****, ******, **** ** ****, and of course **** :erm: :arrows: :p :dozey:

A.F.F.
8th December 2010, 23:44
I know first, second, fourth and the fifth but what's the third? :D

Tazio
8th December 2010, 23:55
:s ailor: Income tax is a mother-****er for me!

janvanvurpa
9th December 2010, 00:07
Squirrel is best said like (på finska) skwer-kel
Animal----ani-mer-mal
alligator---agititatör
alligator (a big one)---krok-i-gator

I have trouble when in Sweden saying ''god bajs'' when leaving so I stick with 'ciao'
But you should see the looks when I say in all innocence Hej så länge! och god bajs...

To do a turnaround I have a very hard time saying anything in Finnish except the most useful words such as the ever handy 'perkele' 'satana' and voi vittu!

And counting beyond 2..

I don't believe you really have a language and have seen proof from the Unencylcopedia:

“Finnish is easy. All you do is tape-record English and then play it backwards.”
~ Berlitz Language School on Finnish

“Finnish is easy. You'll learn it with no effort at all in 400 years.”
~ Oscar Wilde on Finnish

The language is much like the Finns themselves - it has nothing to do with Russia or Sweden, despite their proximity. It has nothing to do with the fins of a fish either. Finnish, I think, was invented by an ancient king who commanded the people in his dominion to speak like him upon the penalty of death. The monarch's name I shall give as Toivo I, or Toivo the Stutterer. It was Toivo's lingual philosophy that 'why use one letter when two or three would do.'

A farmer named Mikael Agricola continued Toivo's work and started developing a grammar for Finnish. Reportedly, his head imploded after half of the job was done. No one was brave (or stupid) enough to follow his footsteps so Finns only got a partial grammar. They solved this problem by combining words and putting all extra stuff in the end. The drawback was that the words became even longer.

Take the word for cigarette lighter. It is savukkeensytytin, which is the reason why so many Finns carry matches. Young people may use a redundant form of this: "sytkäri" (Berlitz :s hEHWtt-kaeR-Ri), but this habit is gradually eradicated on midsummer festival rituals.

When the Finns start a word they see how many foreigners they can weed out on the first syllable. Take the Finnish word for "93". The first three letters are "yhd". That eliminates a lot of competition right there. For the full Finnish word for "93" I would advise you fasten your seat belts and put on your crash helmet. Here it goes - "yhdeksänkymmentäkolme". According to Berlitz, that is pronounced simply: "EWHdayksaenKEWMmayntaeKOALmay". Finns have died of old age trying to count to 100.

Part of the problem with the Finnish language is that Finns don't mess around with little bitsy words at all. If they are going to use the word "the" or "a" or "by" they just stick it onto a nearby word as an ending.

And don't think you are going to get away with not pronouncing every letter, either. Nothing is wasted in Finnish. Sometimes, when they use a couple or three vowels in a row, they'll put two little dots over the tops of some of them just to break the monotony. Those little dots mean something. In the word "pencil sharpener", which is spelled "kynänteroitin", they put two little dots over the "a" and that means it is pronounced like an "a" and an "e" slopped together. It also means that you are going to find a lot of dull pencils in Finland. To say "pencil sharpener" in Finnish, for example, you should start with a bottle of good Finnish beer. Take a deep breath, roll back your eyes and say:

KEWnae (run the "a" and "e" together now, remember?) nTAYR (stop here and have a sip of beer) roa (then comes a very, very small "i" that fools a lot of people, but, without it the word means "spinach" or something entirely ddifferent from "pencil sharpener") ttin (more beer, please).

Okay, all together now:

"KEWnaenTAYroaittin!"

There now, wasn't that easy? Where's the bottle opener?

During a recent visit of Finland I never saw a crossword puzzle. The papers weren't large enough to cover both horizontal and vertical I guess.

The word for "no" is "aye", which means yes in English, and the word "hyvaa" (with two little dots side by side over both "a"'s or "ae-ae") means hello or goodbye depending on what direction you're going.

Now the word for "yes" is simple. It is "kylla". The trouble is, nobody uses it. They all say "joo" or "yoa" or "yo", which naturally, is not Finnish at all, but is Swedish. To say "yes, yes" they all say "yo-yo". "yo-yo" is "jojo" in finnish

Finnish is related to Hungarian by a previous marriage. That's why the second language of Finland is, of course, Swedish. Everyone speaks English, however, so don't worry if you ever go there.

Kumarreksituteskenteleentuvaisehkollaismaisekkuude llisenneskenteluttelemattomammuuksissansakkaankopa han. One of the shorter words word in finnish, 103 letters. The word makes as much sense as anything in Finnish.
[edit] Useful phrases/words

It is said that these phrase make up 90% of Finnish, and you say you have troble with some Englanti words???

Useful phrases/words

* kyllä = yes
* ei = no
* joo (or juu) = ye
* Oho! = sorry / excuse me
* Voi vittu! = Oh ****!
* Paska = ****
* kaamee kapula = I'm dying.
* E vitus! = Sorry, but I refuse to do what you just asked me to. Please forgive me.
* käytä voimaa! = use the force
* Hyvä perse tolla muijalla = She's gorgeous
* Mina puhuu hoono soomi = I am not very familiar with the Finnish language.
* Minulla on uudet implantit = No, I do not have breast implants.
o Hiplaisitko niitä = No, you may not feel them.
* Haluisitsä ottaa multa suihin? = Excuse me, Could you tell me the time?
* Anna pillua, pliis! = Maybe tomorrow, mate!
* Ollaan hiljaa. = I want to party.
* junttisäpinät = night club
* Mitä teet työksesi? = What kind of subsidies you receive from KELA?
* Suomalaiset on niin kateellisia. = I steal money from the poor.
* Jag hatar finskorna!! - Rakastan suomalasisia!!
* Ruotsi on paska maa! = Sweden is a lovely country!
* Perkele = Hello
o Haiset perkeleen pahalle! = Hello, old friend!
* Mitä hömö? / Kuis panee? = Wazzup?
o Haista paska! = Going good!
* Mitä vittuu sä tuijotat? = Can I help you?
* Voi perhana, ny tulee ruumiita! = Nice to meet you!
* Voi saatana perkele helevetti jumalauta! = How do you do!
* Osmo Pinaattilada = Osama bin Laden
* Sisu = the thing all but Finnish people lack
* Aatu Hilleri = Adolf Hitler
* Tsing-tsing-tsingis-kaan = Genghis Khan
* Räystäsräähkähuippakurppanen = a pigeon
* Mitä fukkia?! = WTF?!
* Ja nyt jotain täysin erilaista = And now for something completely different.
* Haist vittu! = **** you!

ICWS
9th December 2010, 00:10
A lot of Americans and some British people have trouble speaking English correctly. I myself used to have trouble pronouncing words like existentialism, particularly, cavalry, throughly, and supposedly. There's more words but those are a few words that I can think of right now.

A.F.F.
9th December 2010, 00:29
Squirrel is best said like (på finska) skwer-kel
Animal----ani-mer-mal
alligator---agititatör
alligator (a big one)---krok-i-gator

I have trouble when in Sweden saying ''god bajs'' when leaving so I stick with 'ciao'
But you should see the looks when I say in all innocence Hej så länge! och god bajs...

Nobody cares about Swedish !!!

To do a turnaround I have a very hard time saying anything in Finnish except the most useful words such as the ever handy 'perkele' 'satana' and voi vittu!

Very good except saatana the first syllable is with two a's.

I always thought that EPÄJÄRJESTELMÄLLISMÄTTÖMYYDELLÄKÖHÄN was the longest Finnish word ? Cool, it's nice to learn a new word :)

Mark in Oshawa
9th December 2010, 01:02
AFF, I am always surprised how many Finn's converse on here and are very coherent and great writers. Eki, for all his faults has a good sense of language and nuances. Yet beyond saying Helsinki or Selanne, I think I have little or no knowledge of Finnish!!! You guys are to be commended for using language in its written form as well as you do considering how English has many nuances, spellings (Canadian and American English are different, hence my frustration with American written software with spell check) and weird cultures. And Written language is easier to pick up than spoken.

If I phoned you up and you could make yourself intelligible to my tin ear, you would be a hero...lol...I cannot grasp much of any other language and god knows I have enough incentive to learn French...

I am sure you will figure out how to say Squirrel. Heck...The Scots, half the Southern US and Newfoundlanders butcher up the language worse than you will...

janvanvurpa
9th December 2010, 03:03
Nobody cares about Swedish !!!

Very good except saatana the first syllable is with two a's.

I always thought that EPÄJÄRJESTELMÄLLISMÄTTÖMYYDELLÄKÖHÄN was the longest Finnish word ? Cool, it's nice to learn a new word :)

Oi du är stygg!

and saatana only has 2 a?
Saaaaaatana I always thought it was at least 4 or 5. It does when I say it!
How many u in viiiituuuuuuuun!?

And what's this now above.
According to Koookel tran-slate its an English word!
Try it and see:
http://translate.google.com/#fi|en|EP%C ... 96H%C3%84N (http://translate.google.com/#fi|en|EP%C3%84J%C3%84RJESTELM%C3%84LLISM%C3%84TT% C3%96MYYDELL%C3%84K%C3%96H%C3%84N)

And Andra Finurliga Finne, if we can most the time understand Tomi Mäkinen, we can understand anything....

The rally car suspension I make we call ''JVAB Sooooper Bitchin' Suspenders''
in honor of what it sounds like when Tomi would say suspension. It sounded like ''söspendörs''.

These are Soooooper Bitchin' Suspenders I make, these being for the popular Nissan SR20DE (like the Sunny but with a boot)
http://partspile.com/JVAB%20SR20%20Sentra%20Suspension%20009.jpg

This is what my supenders are for---36m, not too bad
http://formulaphoto.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/06/28/baie08_bares_jump.jpg

These are normal suspenders:
https://www.gypsytreasure.com/images/categories/RED%20SUSPENDERS.jpg

these are what suspenders are for:
(US rally fans in the South)
http://www.shadowlandstudios.com/2nd_US_Cav/Equipment/Shirts_and_Suspenders.jpg

haista v.......u

555-04Q2
9th December 2010, 05:06
I always kill myself with laughter when I am in China and I hear the Chinese try and pronounce a simple English word like "rice". It is the funniest thing ever.

Captain VXR
9th December 2010, 13:50
I love it when Japanese people speak Engrish :D

Dr. Krogshöj
9th December 2010, 13:55
Extraordinary!

Mark
9th December 2010, 14:00
On behalf of all English speakers I can safely say that we are anus-peptic, phrasmotic, even compunctious to have caused you such pericombobulation.

schmenke
9th December 2010, 14:13
.... Yet beyond saying Helsinki or Selanne, I think I have little or no knowledge of Finnish!!! ...

Try post #5 ;)

555-04Q2
9th December 2010, 14:39
On behalf of all English speakers I can safely say that we are anus-peptic, phrasmotic, even compunctious to have caused you such pericombobulation.

Lay off the acid Mark :p :

Daniel
9th December 2010, 14:49

Do you mind if I print this out, laminate it then spend a few minutes in private "appreciating" its machined, anodised and adjustable beauty? :D

They're nice :D

schmenke
9th December 2010, 14:52
Daniel gets a kick out of Jan's suspenders... :mark:

Daniel
9th December 2010, 14:56
Daniel gets a kick out of Jan's coilovers... :mark:

Edited for accuracy :p

Come on..... they're luverly :D

Eki
9th December 2010, 15:26
I used to have a problem when in two consecutive words the first one ends with -sh and the latter starts with an s, for example "Scottish studios", but I'm better now.

glauistean
9th December 2010, 15:51
Oi du är stygg!

And what's this now above.
According to Koookel tran-slate its an English word!
Try it and see:
http://translate.google.com/#fi|en|EP%C ... 96H%C3%84N (http://translate.google.com/#fi|en|EP%C3%84J%C3%84RJESTELM%C3%84LLISM%C3%84TT% C3%96MYYDELL%C3%84K%C3%96H%C3%84N)

And Andra Finurliga Finne, if we can most the time understand Tomi Mäkinen, we can understand anything....

in honor of what it sounds like when Tomi would say suspension. It sounded like ''söspendörs''.

These are Soooooper Bitchin' Suspenders I make, these being for the popular Nissan SR20DE (like the Sunny but with a boot)

This is what my supenders are for---36m, not too bad
http://formulaphoto.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/06/28/baie08_bares_jump.jpg

These are normal suspenders:
https://www.gypsytreasure.com/images/categories/RED%20SUSPENDERS.jpg

http://www.shadowlandstudios.com/2nd_US_Cav/Equipment/Shirts_and_Suspenders.jpg

haista v.......u

Actually, most of the soldiers in your photograph are Union/Yankee's

Jag_Warrior
9th December 2010, 20:22
:s ailor: Income tax is a mother-****er for me!

:rotflmao: Good one! :up:

For some reason "unequivocally" never sounds right when I say it. I have this urge to insert a "b" after the "a" for some reason. :confused:

schmenke
9th December 2010, 20:36
...For some reason "unequivocally" never sounds right when I say it. I have this urge to insert a "b" after the "a" for some reason. :confused:

Now that you mention it, so do I :mark:

A.F.F.
9th December 2010, 21:15
Oi du är stygg!

Jag vet.

It depends how you use it :D

For the record, it's TOMMI Mäkinen. Juha Kankkunen is Juha Kankkunen, not Juha Kankunen or Juha Kannkunen.

Tommi Mäkinen is known for english for idiots. He is also known for finnish for idiots :)

http://www.shadowlandstudios.com/2nd_US_Cav/Equipment/Shirts_and_Suspenders.jpg :laugh:

haista v.......u

:up: Thank you very many

janvanvurpa
9th December 2010, 22:23
Jag vet.

It depends how you use it :D

For the record, it's TOMMI Mäkinen. Juha Kankkunen is Juha Kankkunen, not Juha Kankunen or Juha Kannkunen.

Tommi Mäkinen is known for english for idiots. He is also known for finnish for idiots :)

:laugh:

:up: Thank you very many

No proplems.
Tell me, when you see typical Group F groupie like this (I am told by a friend Topi Hynanen that this is typical fan that swarm over every Group F driver, kau-drajver and mekanik at every Stage start, finish and service)

Typical Group F ralli groupie:
http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2009/10/98%20Topless%20in%20Suspenders.jpg
Do you have difficulty saying something in Angleskij?

A.F.F.
9th December 2010, 22:28
No proplems.
Tell me, when you see typical Group F groupie like this (I am told by a friend Topi Hynanen that this is typical fan that swarm over every Group F driver, kau-drajver and mekanik at every Stage start, finish and service)

Your friend have told you absolute truth. Similar fans swarm over at our bands gigs :up:

She's got very nice söspenders !!

Daniel
9th December 2010, 22:29
Your friend have told you absolute truth. Similar fans swarm over at our bands gigs :up:

She's wearing suspenders?

janvanvurpa
9th December 2010, 23:34

Must be very tough when all you want to do is either make good stage time of play music...
I'm sure it's a tough job, but then we all have to do our parts for god and Country, thank goodness for sisu..

And thank goodness I was in tip top shape from being moto-cross perv when I had to deal with a whole platoon of Finnish physical therapists from Tampere one winter around Christmas. I was coming back to Seattle and should have been in and out of London in 2 days, but NOOOooooooooooOOOO.

But Duty called! In and out in London for 10 days. Herrreee Gud!

A.F.F.
29th December 2010, 15:07
Phenomenon.

veeten
29th December 2010, 15:19
Do doo, do do do...

Eki
29th December 2010, 16:31
Do do duties, do doo doodies

MrJan
29th December 2010, 17:48
The majority of English people can't really speak English. Words like cutlery or specific are often pronounced as cutelry and pacific.

glauistean
29th December 2010, 19:22
I too, as Mark stated in a previous post am always surprised at the ability to

read and write in another language particularly when it is not linked to the

Latin/Greek formulation of tongue.

Most Europeans it seems are very good English speakers although I'm leary

that the French may be holding back :)

The Dutch, German, Danes, Swedes and Germans are really good and some of

the old Soviet Union satellite countries have well educated speakers also.

I have wondered how people learing English can distinguish between , true,

through and threw. There are more but that has got to be difficult.

I can't think offhand a word I find difficult to pronounce, but needless to say

I probably butcher many but don't know it.

Phrases used in motor sport really annoy me. First quick or winningest.

Usually , it is an American broadcaster and some of these guys are really

good in all aspects of the the sport they are speaking of. A colloquialism I'm sure.

A.F.F.
29th December 2010, 23:21
AFF, I am always surprised how many Finn's converse on here and are very coherent and great writers. Eki, for all his faults has a good sense of language and nuances. Yet beyond saying Helsinki or Selanne, I think I have little or no knowledge of Finnish!!! You guys are to be commended for using language in its written form as well as you do considering how English has many nuances, spellings (Canadian and American English are different, hence my frustration with American written software with spell check) and weird cultures. And Written language is easier to pick up than spoken.

If I phoned you up and you could make yourself intelligible to my tin ear, you would be a hero...lol...I cannot grasp much of any other language and god knows I have enough incentive to learn French...

I am sure you will figure out how to say Squirrel. Heck...The Scots, half the Southern US and Newfoundlanders butcher up the language worse than you will...

I don't know how I succeeded to miss Mark's post, probably all thanks to JanVan ;) but I noticed this when glauistean referred to it.

Heck, we should definately call. Daniel, Pino and Jamie can't help me with their accents :p :

Daniel
29th December 2010, 23:25
If you think I have an accent then you should speak to mark, not mark in oshawa but the other mark

J4MIE
29th December 2010, 23:52
I don't have an accent! ;)

Seriously though, it amazes me the amount of foreign people I meet that have a really good standard of English, while it's pretty difficult to be 100% accurate it must be close to it :up: I think a big difference is that if you find a word you don't understand then a lot of you will look into it to find out where, when and why it is used, whereas us Brits would just avoid using it :s

Can I suggest a word I dislike? Vodka! :blackeye:

ICWS
30th December 2010, 01:54
The majority of English people can't really speak English. Words like cutlery or specific are often pronounced as cutelry and pacific.

Here's an interesting website that lists words that English-speaking people often mispronounce:

http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/mispron.html

Eki
30th December 2010, 05:41
If you think I have an accent then you should speak to mark, not mark in oshawa but the other mark
Markabilly? I bet he sounds like Boomhauer in King of the Hill.

janvanvurpa
30th December 2010, 18:42
I don't have an accent! ;)

Seriously though, it amazes me the amount of foreign people I meet that have a really good standard of English, while it's pretty difficult to be 100% accurate it must be close to it :up: I think a big difference is that if you find a word you don't understand then a lot of you will look into it to find out where, when and why it is used, whereas us Brits would just avoid using it :s

Can I suggest a word I dislike? Vodka! :blackeye:

Or does it dislike you?

driveace
30th December 2010, 20:05
and what about when we say "And thats that"
How do listeners decipher that?

Eki
30th December 2010, 20:16
and what about when we say "And thats that"
How do listeners decipher that?
That's all folks.

pino
30th December 2010, 20:28

I agree you don't have any accent while both Mark and J4MIE have too much :p :

Daniel
30th December 2010, 20:44
I agree you don't have any accent while both Mark and J4MIE have too much :p :
I always knew I was your favourite :p What about Basher? :p

Tomi
30th December 2010, 21:24

Basher can be understood, but it would be good if J4MIE should take some English lessons.
Someone mentioned hockey player Selanne in earlier post, sofar I have not heard a single one from behind the pond who can pronounce his name.

JackSparrow
30th December 2010, 21:52
"Cops"

are here
are behind you
arresting you
are on the way
are beating you
are framing you
are crooked

DexDexter
31st December 2010, 09:32
For a Finn words like "suggestion" or "strategy" are pretty difficult to pronounce. "Italy" is another difficult one if it comes in the middle of a sentence and P and B are quite difficult to differentiate as well. R is often pronounced too strongly, it almost sounds like Scottish.

pino
31st December 2010, 12:18

Your english is as bad as mine so indeed you're my favourite :p : Basher's ok.

Daniel
31st December 2010, 12:29
Your english is as bad as mine so indeed you're my favourite :p : Basher's ok.

I think you must have me mistaked for one of the Finns! :p My English is just fine, nowhere near as bad as yours :D

A.F.F.
31st December 2010, 13:29
For a Finn words like "suggestion"

Exactly DexDexter.

I usually say I have an idea, hear me out! Hate the word suggestion.

Eki
31st December 2010, 14:51
Exactly DexDexter.

I usually say I have an idea, hear me out! Hate the word suggestion.
You have had an idea? More than once? Oh, you didn't say a good idea.

A.F.F.
31st December 2010, 15:10
You have had an idea? More than once? Oh, you didn't say a good idea.

And Happy New Year to you too Eki :)

Eki
31st December 2010, 15:52
And Happy New Year to you too Eki :)
Now THAT was a good idea. Happy New Year to you too.

A.F.F.
4th January 2011, 08:56
Turquise...

When I was in San Diego, I stayed at the motel located in Turquise Street. I ordered a pizza and when they asked the address, I had to spell it because I couldn't say "turquise".

Daniel
4th January 2011, 09:22
Turquoise :p

A.F.F.
4th January 2011, 10:57
Turquoise :p

See, I can't even write it correctly :p :

Eki
4th January 2011, 14:13
Turquise...

When I was in San Diego, I stayed at the motel located in Turquise Street. I ordered a pizza and when they asked the address, I had to spell it because I couldn't say "turquise".
You could have said Turkish Street. It's close enough.

A.F.F.
4th January 2011, 16:18
You could have said Turkish Street. It's close enough.

I think I did say it and they asked me to spell the address.

Another very embarrasing thing happened to that time. The trip to US was my first and I didn't know tipping at all. So, when the pizza was delivered, it cost 11.98$ and what did I give to the delivery boy?? Yes, 11.98$ :mark: The guy closed the door for me.... hard. :p :

So, last spring in Florida, twenty years later, I tipped a lot :D

MrJan
4th January 2011, 21:14
I think I did say it and they asked me to spell the address.

Another very embarrasing thing happened to that time. The trip to US was my first and I didn't know tipping at all. So, when the pizza was delivered, it cost 11.98$ and what did I give to the delivery boy?? Yes, 11.98$ :mark: The guy closed the door for me.... hard. :p :

So, last spring in Florida, twenty years later, I tipped a lot :D

Stupid f***ing rule is tipping, made to flumox the socially inept (we usually prefer the term 'British'). Here's an idea - pay your staff enough in the first place and just charge more, far easier for all involved.

MrJan
4th January 2011, 21:26
For a Finn words like "suggestion" or "strategy" are pretty difficult to pronounce. "Italy" is another difficult one if it comes in the middle of a sentence and P and B are quite difficult to differentiate as well. R is often pronounced too strongly, it almost sounds like Scottish.

I knew a Finnish girl when I was at Uni and the letters v and w used to confuse her, seeems to be fairly common. And of course rallying has been gifted the word 'yump' thanks to Timo Makinen not being able to pronounce 'jump' properly.

I'm always amazed at how well people seem to pick up English as a foreign language, it's not exactly simple and in some cases is damn right bizarre.

A.F.F.
4th January 2011, 21:42
Stupid f***ing rule is tipping, made to flumox the socially inept (we usually prefer the term 'British'). Here's an idea - pay your staff enough in the first place and just charge more, far easier for all involved.

Mr.Pink, I assume ? :p :

"The wonderful dexterity of Hannu Mikkola
Makes me want to shake hands with the whole of Finland" Where is this from?

MrJan
4th January 2011, 23:03
Mr.Pink, I assume ? :p :

"The wonderful dexterity of Hannu Mikkola
Makes me want to shake hands with the whole of Finland" Where is this from?

The Mr Pink rant alone redeems the awfulness of Death Proof :D

The Hannu Mikkola line is from a Half Man Half Biscuit song. I'm a bit of a fan of the band and was quite shocked to hear an old school rallying refernce in one of their tracks.

DexDexter
5th January 2011, 13:53
I knew a Finnish girl when I was at Uni and the letters v and w used to confuse her, seeems to be fairly common. And of course rallying has been gifted the word 'yump' thanks to Timo Makinen not being able to pronounce 'jump' properly.

I'm always amazed at how well people seem to pick up English as a foreign language, it's not exactly simple and in some cases is damn right bizarre.

Markku Alen didn't know much English when he started rallying and thus he always said "now, maximum attack", which became his trademark :D

A.F.F.
5th January 2011, 16:59
The Mr Pink rant alone redeems the awfulness of Death Proof :D

The Hannu Mikkola line is from a Half Man Half Biscuit song. I'm a bit of a fan of the band and was quite shocked to hear an old school rallying refernce in one of their tracks.

All due respect Sir Yeo, I think it was a Resevoir Dogs reference ;)

Do you remember which Half Man Half Bisquit song it was?? :)

MrJan
5th January 2011, 18:33
All due respect Sir Yeo, I think it was a Resevoir Dogs reference ;)

Yes but after watching Death Proof I almost forgot that Tarantino had ever made a good film

Do you remember which Half Man Half Bisquit song it was?? :)

Yes it's called Architecture, Morality, Ted and Alice (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOtO5ArQNj8). A long way from being my favourite song of theirs, partly because the album that it's from (Back in the D.H.S.S) has shocking sound quality.Far better tracks are All I Want For Christmas is a Dukla Prague Away Kit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3Or410w6hI), Breaking News (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBM_MIT9EOM), Referee's Alphabet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqpJ6XYykHE&feature=related) or 24 Hour Garage People (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk_dC3ktuMw&feature=related)

It's difficult to pick my favourite track though, Nigel Blackwell is a lyrical genius and there are so many lines that stand out.

A.F.F.
5th January 2011, 18:47
Yes but after watching Death Proof I almost forgot that Tarantino had ever made a good film

I agree with you so much that I can't even breath :up:

I have to study that band from a better location I am now.....