PDA

View Full Version : Road & Track series on the Indy 500

champcarray
8th December 2010, 17:45
Just got the January 2011 issue in the mail yesterday. Beginning with this issue and continuing through June, each issue of R&T will feature an article about the I500. Additional content, such as Dario driving Jim Clark's Indy-winning Lotus, will be available on their website. What a fantastic way to build toward the 100th anniversary.

And no, I'm not an R&T staffer: I've just been reading the magazine since I was a little kid in the 1970s.

methanolHuffer
8th December 2010, 18:16
Road & Track taught me to read. ;)

And I picked up some Italian lessons from R&T, too. "Quattrovalvole"

Mark in Oshawa
15th December 2010, 16:13
Road and Track out of the big general car magazines does the best at highlighting racing...so this is no surprise.

Car and Driver used to matter....then they lost their minds and started at times attacking the sport....shame...

Easy Drifter
16th December 2010, 02:00
I stopped buying R&T years ago as did I with most mags. For years I had an airmail subscription to Autosport UK. Time of delivery 5 days to 5 weeks! That was when I was an Atlantic wrench.
Later found the stock car and mags like the defunct Open Wheel had far more hard core racing info and parts suppliers.
Anyway my first issue of R&T was Jan. 52 and it carried far more racing info way back when than it did later.

Don Capps
3rd February 2011, 19:25
Is Road & Track still being published? I am truly amazed at that. I dropped my subscription well over a decade ago, which was easily many years after I stopped reading it for more than the five or ten minutes required to read anything remotely worth reading. I began reading R&T somewhere in the early Fifties and should have dropped it at some point in the middle or late Eighties when it became whatever it became, basically birdcage liner.

50 years ago C/D was worth reading, to include its motor racing content; 45 years ago, less so. Not long after that, not even all that interesting on general automotive topics.

In the last 30 or so years, the only US magazines covering contemporary motor racing worth a hoot have been few and far between, the Formula, Race Car, and On Track progression being about it, along with with maybe Winston Cup/NASCAR Scene; while the early years of IndyCar were promising, that did not last long....