PDA

View Full Version : Why only 15 races?

MAX_THRUST
4th December 2010, 15:12
Ok Edmonton is gone, or is it on?

What other races might be added for 2011?

Any ideas or rumours?

there's alot of races like Fontana and Michigan, Surfers, Detroit, and others that are not on the schedule, will they ever be back on?

anthonyvop
4th December 2010, 15:51
Ok Edmonton is gone, or is it on?

What other races might be added for 2011?

Any ideas or rumours?

there's alot of races like Fontana and Michigan, Surfers, Detroit, and others that are not on the schedule, will they ever be back on?

Forget ISC Tracks like Fontana and Michigan for now. Detroit will probably never happen again unless they get a big sponsor to foot the bill as Detroit is broke.

Forget Surfers.

TURN3
4th December 2010, 19:22
Forget Surfers.

Which is an aboslute shame on several levels.

Mark in Oshawa
5th December 2010, 01:58
Surfer's is a loss...Detroit and the ISC tracks in a sense are not.

It is what it is...better to have 15 strong events than 20 with 5 with sparse crowds....

MAX_THRUST
5th December 2010, 10:44
Agree with having 15 packed races rather than 20 sparesly attended. I'd love to see Road America, Elk Hart lake on the Calender, Cleveland etc.

From what I've been reading this year the series seems to be getting stronger especially with GM coming back and Lotus doing there thing, I wonder if that will help bring more sponsorship and a few additional circuits.

I haven't been able to see any races other than on the internet, and they are lloking good, I still miss my CART/ChampCAR but i think Indy Car is doing a great job.

FIAT1
5th December 2010, 13:52
Road America is a must if anyone has any brain in that organization.

nigelred5
5th December 2010, 20:30
As much as I want to see proper, major league open wheel races at Road America again, I'd prefer to wait until the new car is ready. I don't want to ever see a picture of the current Dallara defiling the beauty of Road America. ;)

nigelred5
5th December 2010, 20:41
Edmonton was officially removed... until it has been officially re-instated, and the final race still hasn't been confirmed, if there will be a race after Kentucky. Personally, I think trying to go head to head for TV viewers with College and NFL football for more than a month is pointless. You'll never get decent Sunday ratings (or airtime for that matter) on network tv, let alone cable against the NFL.

ICWS
5th December 2010, 21:39
Yeah, the schedule officially says 15 races, but it is expected to be 17 races when the schedule is finalized. Edmonton is supposed to return to the calendar (although I don't know exactly if it's gonna be on July 24th like it was originally supposed to be) and Las Vegas Motor Speedway is predicted to be the season finale on October 16th.

But since their hasn't been an absolute announcement that these two races will be added, IndyCar technically has to say that there are 15 races as of now.

markabilly
6th December 2010, 04:15
count your blessing if there is at least 15 races......

Easy Drifter
6th December 2010, 07:18
You just cannot add races to a schedule to suit yourdelf. There are logistics to consider.
Open dates. You do not want two or three races is relatively close proximity to each other just weeks apart. There are just so many green stamps to go around. If the taxi cabs are running close by you do not want to race in the same area a week earlier or later.
Milwakee and Road America draw from the same spectator pool. Chicago is in the same group.
You also have to look at what else is going on. Many people were suggesting the Toronto event be moved a couple of weeks later to late July.
Caribana takes place in Toronto in late July. It brings in literally millions of dollars more than the Indy race.
People you have to work around other dates. The taxi cabs draw far more then Indy Car as do many other festivals.
Right now IC is a relatively low man on the totem pole and they have to take what they can get when.
Sure we would like prime dates everywhere but right now it is not going to happen.
Maybe the 1000 pound gorilla is down to 900 pounds but our little chimp is still only 75 pounds.

MAX_THRUST
8th December 2010, 19:38
Wonder if we will ever see the double headers with ALMS ever again or Truck event? Would love to see Road america on the schedule, and I guess with new cars new venues may open up, with new spnosors.

What's good a few years back there were sponsors being annouced until a week before and teams not confirmed till a week before. Things have moved on...

nigelred5
8th December 2010, 22:51
Baltimore is a INDYCAR/ALMS double header next year.

nigelred5
9th December 2010, 00:23
.....as is Long Beach. I wish they would flip-flop the Motegi and Sonoma dates and move the Sonoma race to Laguna for a third double header.

Dr. Krogshöj
9th December 2010, 08:22
.....as is Long Beach. I wish they would flip-flop the Motegi and Sonoma dates and move the Sonoma race to Laguna for a third double header.

Motegi won't and shouldn't be moved. The large attendance we saw this year was only partly due to the Takuma factor. The other part was the date - the third weekend of September is a holiday weekend in Japan. Plus, it would be logistically different to race in Motegi and then fly back to Baltimore for the following weekend.

evetorris
10th December 2010, 06:39
I am big fan of racing.

NaBUru38
14th December 2010, 09:23
Wonder if we will ever see the double headers with ALMS ever again or Truck event?
Don't forget Mid-Ohio and Las Vegas either.

nigelred5
14th December 2010, 23:39
Don't forget Mid-Ohio and Las Vegas either.

I thought they had decided to split the indycar and alms weekends earlier this year but I see they are both showing that as a common weekend.