PDA

View Full Version : Michael Michael, another sponsor gone

glauistean
1st December 2010, 18:02
Wow! First we have Michael lose the 7Eleven sponsorship and his best and really, his best driver. Now he loses Meijer.
Too bad Michael did not take some of the PR courses that Marco tried and failed at miserably. In my opinion.
The team now has three brats, Michael, Marco and DanicaALLTHETIME .
Better hope Michael , that Adam Carrol and Ryan Hunter Reay , two guys with personalities, will be able to do the job by attracting sponsors by smiling a little, showing some interaction and not just a spoiled rich kid that has prospered under his fathers fame and the other under his grandfathers. It worked for a while. Sponsors have caught on.

I happen to have a very solid Motorola connection. Of all the sponsorship they have been involved in ,this was one of the worst. Argent said the same with you know who and prior to her and Motorola who else was driving the car. Oh yes, Michael.

Pity Dale Coyne could not pick up a sponsor and a driver that could race. Ride buyer or not. It has permeated all other areas of the sport (ride buying) so why not Dale or Conquest. Guys that really try.

Lousada
1st December 2010, 18:30
They also lost the connection with AFS earlier this week. It's not looking that good for Andretti Autosport. When Danica goes the whole team will probably collapse :(

jackmart
1st December 2010, 19:02
^^ wow I didn't know AFS too

Meijer went to penske.

glauistean
1st December 2010, 19:13
^^ wow I didn't know AFS too

Meijer went to penske.

Yep, and I bet they are spending more.

Looks like Carrol (Caroll) (sic) will not have a ride.

I often wondered how Dreyer and Reinbold could get so many sponsors and keep them. Must not ask for too much but at least they show up and perform.

jackmart
1st December 2010, 19:19
A family friend of ours, his company sponsored TK, I'm not sure what they are going to do, my guess is not sponsor anyone. But AGR had some big sponsors and I lot of little as well. What about Monster energy and Danica brings what these days? And does RHR still have Izod as some type of sponsor.

Mark in Oshawa
1st December 2010, 20:22
Ryan is looking after his sponsor, not Andretti. The truth is, Andretti seems to be in a free fall, and I think there is more to this than a bad economy...

jwhite9185
1st December 2010, 20:23
I knew about AFS but not Meijer. Does this affect the Venom sponsorship too? Seems a bit of a mess over there at the moment!

Scotty G.
1st December 2010, 23:29
I think there is more to this than a bad economy...

Yes, Danica Patrick has brought down another team in Indy Car.

Meijer was gone long ago from AA, so its not like this was a surprise. They aren't in nearly as bad a shape as you might think.

Now in 2012 when DP and Blow-Daddy leave, it might be a different story.

Easy Drifter
2nd December 2010, 05:32
The Andretti team has been underperforming for the last couple of years, which is a good way to lose sponsorship.
Plus there have been signs, to put it mildly, of dissension in the team. I have a feeling there was far more than we knew and this contributed to loss of sponsors. They want no part of infighting in a team.

icehammer97
2nd December 2010, 05:47
A family friend of ours, his company sponsored TK, I'm not sure what they are going to do, my guess is not sponsor anyone. But AGR had some big sponsors and I lot of little as well. What about Monster energy and Danica brings what these days? And does RHR still have Izod as some type of sponsor.

I think you mean Venom, Monster is PT's sponsor.

glauistean
2nd December 2010, 06:05
I also have three contacts that were once sponsors of Patrick. All are gone. One was a mortgage company which I believe failed or merged. Comment"arrogant little.......... fill in the blank. Another recent one was a communication company.
"She is a waste of money. You jump in and spend millions and all you get is her moaning about incidents that were her own fault and never ever being in the least bit pleasant , even in the company of boardroom company, that were the people, in unison that signed a lucrative sponsor. She did not perform."

The first sponsor stated that he could not believe the fact that when she almost won the 500 and they were sponsors they did not show many replays . An opportunity for them to earn some airtime because she took out so many contenders.

The last sponsor was with Barry Green and told me about the actual cost of sponsorship in the late nineties. Nothing to do with Patrick. The stories he told me were incredible. CART was a mega and I mean mega series. These guys earned huge money and the ROI was unbelievable. What happened to them was stated as matter of fact. You win the lotto only to find out when you awaken that it is all gone. So they quit.

diamond state
4th December 2010, 13:30
Who is the guy at Andretti in charge of maintaining sponsors and getting new ones? He better start getting creative. I would be worried, very worried.
I am sure Michael will get past these woes and get the team back on track.

beachbum
4th December 2010, 16:06
A few years ago, there were many stories in the media about how AGR devalued sponsorships when they were getting most of their funding from Honda. The amount they asked other companies (like 7-11) for "full" sponsorship was a lot less than other teams needed. That had two effects.

When other teams asked for a bigger sponsorship package, the sponsors questioned "why?" when a "full" sponsorship was much lower at AGR. It made it hard to justify a bigger commitment to those who didn't get manufacturer money.

When the Honda money dried up, they were underfunded, and apparently unprepared for the shortfall. There was some noise about their then current sponsors being asked for more money and not being happy about it. Apparently, the sponsors balked at upping the commitments. That is when they took on the Princess, whose presence brought much needed sponsor money.

AGR made their bed a long time ago, and now the problems are really starting to show up. Other than RHR and IZOD, where is the "activation" with the other drivers? Pretty much no where. Other than GoDaddy, none of the other sponsors seem to have gotten very much from the investments. If you don't take care of corporate sponsors these days, you lose the support.

glauistean
4th December 2010, 20:35
A few years ago, there were many stories in the media about how AGR devalued sponsorships when they were getting most of their funding from Honda. The amount they asked other companies (like 7-11) for "full" sponsorship was a lot less than other teams needed. That had two effects.

When other teams asked for a bigger sponsorship package, the sponsors questioned "why?" when a "full" sponsorship was much lower at AGR. It made it hard to justify a bigger commitment to those who didn't get manufacturer money.

When the Honda money dried up, they were underfunded, and apparently unprepared for the shortfall. There was some noise about their then current sponsors being asked for more money and not being happy about it. Apparently, the sponsors balked at upping the commitments. That is when they took on the Princess, whose presence brought much needed sponsor money.

AGR made their bed a long time ago, and now the problems are really starting to show up. Other than RHR and IZOD, where is the "activation" with the other drivers? Pretty much no where. Other than GoDaddy, none of the other sponsors seem to have gotten very much from the investments. If you don't take care of corporate sponsors these days, you lose the support.

I believe you hit the proverbial nail on the head, Beachbum. I recal a conversation I had with an owner of one of those transmission companies,AAMCO. He claimed that all they were paying for full sponsorship for a total of $250,000. I didn't believe it until he said it again just recently. How could you get primary sponsorship at that rate and why would you abondon it?

Chamoo
6th December 2010, 15:37
Just received the press release saying Izod would be sponsoring Ryan Briscoe at Indy and select other events (including the yet to be announced season finale) as the primary sponsor. They will be seen as associate sponsors on all three cars throughout the year.

Roger must not had liked paying for three cars in 2010, as he seems to be racking up sponsor after sponsor.

Scotty G.
6th December 2010, 15:43
1. Just received the press release saying Izod would be sponsoring Ryan Briscoe at Indy and select other events (including the yet to be announced season finale) as the primary sponsor. They will be seen as associate sponsors on all three cars throughout the year.

2. Roger must not had liked paying for three cars in 2010, as he seems to be racking up sponsor after sponsor.

1. I'd read into that, that IZOD will be one of the primary sponsors of the Las Vegas race too.

I'd also guess, that when the schedule of ABC races comes out, you'll see IZOD as the primary sponsors for those races.

2. Nobody poaches/steals sponsors like Roger. ;) I'd guess Richard Childress and Mike Andretti aren't on Roger's Christmas Card list this year.

garyshell
6th December 2010, 16:05
When the music stops Roger always has a seat.

Gary

diamond state
6th December 2010, 16:28
Oooomph! That hurt.Izod to Penske.Who is charge of keeping the sponsors happy?Can't believe it is because of a lack of results.RHR even won this year.

Scotty G.
6th December 2010, 16:37
When the music stops Roger always has a seat.

Gary

Yep, and the hell with everyone else.

Jag_Warrior
6th December 2010, 16:38
I'd say the rule for sponsors is the same as it is for women: if a girl leaves you for another guy, you don't blame the guy for "stealing" her (unless he breaks into your house and runs off with her in a sack). If anything, you can blame her for dumping you. But more than likely, you "didn't meet customer expectations" and that's why what happened, happened.

This was my first year of actually watching IRL races. And from the Peanut Gallery, it looked to me like Andretti was a pretty dysfunctional team. The soundest driver on the team was facing not having a seat, and Andretti shamed IZOD into sponsoring Ryan so that he wouldn't be left on the sidelines. I wondered if IZOD wasn't peeved about being put in that position. Maybe this kind of answers that. Plus, it's not like IZOD is the only sponsor beating a path out the Andretti Autosport's door, so I'm guessing that's pretty close to the mark.

Forget a girl's birthday and you'll spend your weekends alone. Shame a sponsor and they'll head off to another (better organized) team. Considering that Michael's record with relationships is worse than mine, seems like he'd know these rules by now. :p

Mark in Oshawa
6th December 2010, 18:01
Yep, and the hell with everyone else.

Roger gave them more value for their dollar. That my friend is capitalism and the American way. Izod got what out of Andretti? Chaos, disorganization and maybe some unanswered questions....

They wont get that at Penske.

The truth is, Penske succeeds because he is able to win on the track and make sponsors see the value for the money spent. Can you say that same right now about Andretti Motorsport??

Lousada
6th December 2010, 18:04
I'm surprised IZOD drops their American posterboy for Borin' Briscoe from Australia. Yes, Penske is a better team, but really? As title sponsor I expected that they'd look slightly beyond raceresults. They should have at least used their leverage to put an interesting (American?) driver in the seat.

Anyways, Penske is picking up a nice portofolio of big sponsors: Verizon, Shell, Meijer, IZOD, Chevy next year... Will there be anything left for the rest???

Mark in Oshawa
6th December 2010, 18:48
I'm surprised IZOD drops their American posterboy for Borin' Briscoe from Australia. Yes, Penske is a better team, but really? As title sponsor I expected that they'd look slightly beyond raceresults. They should have at least used their leverage to put an interesting (American?) driver in the seat.

Anyways, Penske is picking up a nice portofolio of big sponsors: Verizon, Shell, Meijer, IZOD, Chevy next year... Will there be anything left for the rest???

Lousada, Briscoe can sell to Americans just as easily as Ryan does. Bet you most Americans don't care, all they know is they know Penske Racing.....

Chris R
6th December 2010, 19:23
I think Americans are pretty fond of Australians anyhow.... and the two Ryans are in many ways the modern cookie cutter clean cut, politically correct, not too controversial race car driver.... both very competent, neither particularly exciting (no disrespect intended - I am not particularly exciting either...)....

jackmart
6th December 2010, 19:37
I like Penske only bc of Briscoe. I feel bad for AA bc they are losing so many of their sponsors. But I have met at least 90% of the drivers and Ryan Briscoe is by far the most personable and pleasant to fans. I'm glad to see Izod is backing him. I haven't had any negative experiences with the other Ryan just Briscoe is more pleasant.

anthonyvop
6th December 2010, 19:53
Oooomph! That hurt.Izod to Penske.Who is charge of keeping the sponsors happy?Can't believe it is because of a lack of results.RHR even won this year.

RHR had a personal services sponsorship with IZOD. Has anyone heard if that is done?

glauistean
7th December 2010, 18:37
Penske has picked up another sponsor.

Steve-o
8th December 2010, 03:58
Some quotes from the principles on both Penske announcements in the last couple days.

http://www.fanviewpoint.com/2010/12/indycar-news-more-sponsorship-for-team.html