PDA

View Full Version : Why would he do that?

RJL25
29th November 2010, 09:21
Sebastian Vettel, he has just won his first world championship with Red Bull, the team and organisation that plucked him as a young kid and developed him into the 2010 World Champion. Vettel owes everything he is to the Red Bull Racing and the broader Red Bull motorsport programs.

So why then, only a couple of weeks after winning his first title, would he turn around and say that he wants to drive for Ferrari or even Mercedes? I mean why?

And why, given this information, were Red Bull so keen to make him the clear number 1 in their team over Webber and "build the team around him for the future" - Horner's words, not mine.

Calls into question a lot of things at Red Bull, they are the best team in Formula One at the moment, they should have enough belief in themselfs that they are the big guns in the sport now and don't have to compete with the likes of Mclaren and Ferrari for drivers hearts.

Mclaren or Ferrari would never tolerate such comments from their drivers, so why would Red Bull? Particularly after all of the drama this season around their support of Vettel over Webber?

Crazy stuff

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=395750&FS=F1

555-04Q2
29th November 2010, 10:42
So in other words, drivers can't dream about racing for one of the top teams in the future? He must spend the next 15 years where he is and not try a new challenge in the future?

I can't wait for the off season to finish so this cr@p can stop...

RJL25
29th November 2010, 11:04
Yes you can dream, and no you don't need to stay with the one team forever, but you don't go around saying how much you want to drive for another team when you've a) just won the title with your current team and b) under contract for another 2 years.

It's pretty disrespectful to the team who has just delivered you a world championship. If you where working you guts out back in the factory of Red Bull Racing, how would you feel about your current world champion saying how much he'd like to drive for your main rival?

It would be like a Manchester United player saying saying how much he'd like to play for Chelsea, 2 weeks after winning the premiership. It just wouldn't happen.

Think about Red Bull Racing, having your world champion saying how much he'd like to drive for another team would hardly be good for trying to attract big name sponsors to long term deals. "Why would we sign up for a 3 year deal? Sounds like Vettel's will be going to Ferrari or Mercedes in 2 years time..."

nigelred5
29th November 2010, 11:39
What driver doesn't grow up dreaming of driving for the most storied name in all of f1?

Sonic
29th November 2010, 12:07
Fernando spent much of the past few years saying how much he admired Ferrari and hoped to drive for them someday. I don't recall anyone criticising him - got why am I defending Fred?

Cooper_S
29th November 2010, 12:11
Lets see now, Vettel is just 23, has been with the team a few years already and won the title for them... he is deeply committed to the team for the foreseeable future and hopes to defend and retain his title with Red Bull.

He revealed that he has dreamed of driving for the teams of his F1 hero's... no doubt as he was growing up the exploits of Schumacher at Ferrari made a huge impression on him, where was Red Bull racing in F1... didn't exist so why would he (or any kid) dream of driving for Red Bull.

Of course today the RBR team look very good to the new generation of teen fans.

Times have changed, and although he may dream of some day driving for the teams of childhood, it is up to them to make driving for them attractive, Vettel is in the best team for him and that won't change for a few years.

Why should he stay with Red Bull for the next 15 years, if in 5 years he has multiple championships with Red Bull he may well feel he has rewarded RBR for their support to him and feel the time is right to try a new challenge (he would not be the first)...

ioan
29th November 2010, 19:06
Sebastian Vettel, he has just won his first world championship with Red Bull, the team and organisation that plucked him as a young kid and developed him into the 2010 World Champion. Vettel owes everything he is to the Red Bull Racing and the broader Red Bull motorsport programs.

So why then, only a couple of weeks after winning his first title, would he turn around and say that he wants to drive for Ferrari or even Mercedes? I mean why?

And why, given this information, were Red Bull so keen to make him the clear number 1 in their team over Webber and "build the team around him for the future" - Horner's words, not mine.

Calls into question a lot of things at Red Bull, they are the best team in Formula One at the moment, they should have enough belief in themselfs that they are the big guns in the sport now and don't have to compete with the likes of Mclaren and Ferrari for drivers hearts.

Mclaren or Ferrari would never tolerate such comments from their drivers, so why would Red Bull? Particularly after all of the drama this season around their support of Vettel over Webber?

Crazy stuff

And you swear that you're not just another disgruntled and bitter Webber fan?! :D

Sonic
29th November 2010, 19:10
And you swear that you're not just another disgruntled and bitter Webber fan?! :D

I know I am! ;)

ioan
29th November 2010, 19:13
I know I am! ;)

You should start a thread to bash Vettel ASAP! :) ;)

Jag_Warrior
29th November 2010, 20:44
Fernando spent much of the past few years saying how much he admired Ferrari and hoped to drive for them someday. I don't recall anyone criticising him - got why am I defending Fred?

Like me, if you're defending Alonso, you must have a really great point. OK, so I may not know what it is just now, but dammit, I know it's gotta be legit!!! :D

maximilian
29th November 2010, 21:21
What driver doesn't grow up dreaming of driving for the most storied name in all of f1?
Lewis Hamilton. :p :

CNR
29th November 2010, 21:35
where was Red Bull racing in F1... didn't exist
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauber

The 1995 season and Sauber C14 marked the beginning of a ten year sponsorship deal with energy drink giants Red Bull (http://www.motorsportforums.com/wiki/Red_Bull). In fact entrepreneur Dietrich Mateschitz (http://www.motorsportforums.com/wiki/Dietrich_Mateschitz) had purchased a majority share in the team

Cooper_S
29th November 2010, 21:43
There is always an exception to any rule... personaly I'd say Lewis probably did... just he would never admit to it so long as he is still driving for uncle Ron.

But either way not dreaming of it as a kid is not to say he would pass up the chance at some future date.

Cooper_S
29th November 2010, 21:50
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauber

Good find...

but surely you grasped that I was referring to Red Bull as an F1 racing team and not simply as a sponsor...

Of course RBR have evolved into an exciting vibrant team and I’m sure they are the object of many a young mans F1 aspirations now.

RJL25
29th November 2010, 22:25
I'm more refering to the timing of his statements, when you've just won the title for red bull, is it REALLY appropriate to be talking about how much you want to drive for their main rivals?

I have no problem with him wanting to drive for Ferrari or any other team for that matter, but there is a time and a place don't you think?

Cooper_S
29th November 2010, 22:38
I suspect that he was answering a direct question put to him... he may also be playing hard ball.... RBR will have to keep on top of their game if they are to keep him beyond his contract... what better time to 'remind' them than when you have delivered the team both championships...

I guessing he got their attention.

Mia 01
30th November 2010, 06:17
It´s old news that MacLaren are interested in Seb.

Wonder if Seb will get along with Lewis, a kid younger and faster than himself is not a drem for Lewis.

ArrowsFA1
30th November 2010, 08:45
I suspect that he was answering a direct question put to him...
As simple as that I'd suspect. No surprise to hear a driver say they'd like to drive for Ferrari at some point during their career and I don't think the timing of Vettel's comments are significant.

Mia 01
30th November 2010, 08:56
There's only 2 years difference between Seb and Lewis and that makes little difference. If Mclaren build one car for Seb with the dominance of the RB6 and a slower car for Lewis, Seb is always going to be faster. Remember Jenson Button was the fastest driver in F1 in 2009. ;)

So true.....but infact I belive that Lewis is moore interested driving for RBR as it stands now than Seb driving for Maclaren.

RJL25
30th November 2010, 09:27
There's only 2 years difference between Seb and Lewis and that makes little difference. If Mclaren build one car for Seb with the dominance of the RB6 and a slower car for Lewis, Seb is always going to be faster. Remember Jenson Button was the fastest driver in F1 in 2009. ;)

I'm not sure what your saying... are you saying that Lewis was faster then Jenson this year because the car was built for his driving style??

Frankly, I think Lewis was faster then Jenson this year because Lewis is just faster then Jenson, simple. Even if Mclaren built a car specifically for Jenson, Lewis would still get in it and be faster then Jenson.

Jenson was not the fastest driver in 2009, it was just that it took Red Bull half a season to get a double decker diffuser on their car, and Lewis had won enough races before then to make the title a non-contest. He won the championship because he was faster then Ruebens (not all that hard) not because he was the fastest driver.

ShiftingGears
30th November 2010, 09:29
I'm not sure what your saying... are you saying that Lewis was faster then Jenson this year because the car was built for his driving style??

Frankly, I think Lewis was faster then Jenson this year because Lewis is just faster then Jenson, simple. Even if Mclaren built a car specifically for Jenson, Lewis would still get in it and be faster then Jenson.

Jenson was not the fastest driver in 2009, it was just that it took Red Bull half a season to get a double decker diffuser on their car, and Lewis had won enough races before then to make the title a non-contest. He won the championship because he was faster then Ruebens (not all that hard) not because he was the fastest driver.

You missed the wink.

Sonic
30th November 2010, 09:31
So true.....but infact I belive that Lewis is moore interested driving for RBR as it stands now than Seb driving for Maclaren.

eh? Wild speculation. Nothing more.

wattoroos
30th November 2010, 09:58
imo vettel is stupid to move on from red bull after the way they treated him and supported through to f1, so he should repay them by racing for them for some more years as long it can still compete

Mia 01
30th November 2010, 10:48
eh? Wild speculation. Nothing more.

Most things are ...... in thoose kind of forums. [I belive]

Sonic
30th November 2010, 11:46
Most things are ...... in thoose kind of forums. [I belive]

Perhaps. But there is a difference between informed speculation and just plain guessing! When has Lewis EVER said, or even hinted, that he would want to drive for RBR??

Cooper_S
30th November 2010, 12:48
Perhaps. But there is a difference between informed speculation and just plain guessing! When has Lewis EVER said, or even hinted, that he would want to drive for RBR??

Never to my knowledge, but ask him if he'd have liked to be driving the RB6 and he might say yes...

nigelred5
30th November 2010, 17:30

Considering he was on their paytroll since what, 11?

I'd say he's the exception.... ;)

maximilian
30th November 2010, 22:37
Vettel is a pretty clever kid. His stock at the moment is super high. By making a statement like that, he gets RedBull a little shook up, which may bode well for upcoming salary and contract negotiations.

After all, to keep this super talent from following his childhood dream of racing for Ferrari... that's gotta cost RedBull a pretty penny now, doesn't it? If Seb said, I like RedBull forever, I wanna stay here... guess what... SCHWUPP!! his future salary just went down a few million dollars! :D

But this way, RedBull may well be inclined to offer him a super sweet deal 5-6 year contract after his current one expires. You never know... ;)

Valve Bounce
1st December 2010, 00:42

At Ferrari, he would get to drive home in the latest Ferrari Sports Car - beat that!! :p :

maximilian
1st December 2010, 00:53
At Ferrari, he would get to drive home in the latest Ferrari Sports Car - beat that!! :p :
At RedBull, he gets to drive home in the X1 :D

fandango
1st December 2010, 08:43

I've always thought Hamilton missed his chance with Ferrari. If there was ever a chance to drive for them a few years ago, in 2008 or 2009, he should have taken it. Strategically thinking, it would have cut out Alonso's chances of joining Ferrari, and there's really no way Alonso will drive for McLaren again. It would have been a clever move by Hamilton.

As for Vettel, the only thing wrong with what he says in that article is the timing. It's not the best thing to say just after winning the titles with Red Bull, but it's not such a shocking opinion for an F1 driver to have. People seem to be so quick to condemn someone for speaking their mind.

pino
1st December 2010, 09:01
Like it or not it's all drivers dream to drive for Ferrari :p :

maximilian
1st December 2010, 13:12
As for Vettel, the only thing wrong with what he says in that article is the timing. It's not the best thing to say just after winning the titles with Red Bull, but it's not such a shocking opinion for an F1 driver to have. People seem to be so quick to condemn someone for speaking their mind.
I think the timing is perfect. Something like this is better said when you are in control, on top, #1. After just losing the Championship to Ferrari, he wouldn't have said it. And when you're not doing so well, it's also not the time to say it and alienate a team who may already be thinking about replacing you. NOW is the time. :D

jens
4th December 2010, 15:55
Strategically thinking, it would have cut out Alonso's chances of joining Ferrari, and there's really no way Alonso will drive for McLaren again. It would have been a clever move by Hamilton.

Only for Alonso to end up at Red Bull and start dominating F1 in a fashion unseen since the Schumacher days. :p :

Like it or not it's all drivers dream to drive for Ferrari :p :

Massive generalisation, me thinks. :p : I don't see a reason, why should for instance Hamilton want to drive for Ferrari unless they happen to become much more competitive than McLaren on a consistent basis.

CNR
4th December 2010, 23:54
http://www.espnstar.com/motorsport/f1/news/detail/item542079/Schumacher:-My-Mercedes-sucked/

Michael Schumacher has blamed his Mercedes GP car for his lacklustre comeback to Formula One.

ferrari powered toro rosso did give vettel his first f1 win