PDA

View Full Version : Question: Power vs. Hamlin?

TURN3
23rd November 2010, 22:30
I elected to post this in Indycar because the point I disagree with was argued against Power.

Both lost championship leads in the last race, at Homestead. Which driver and/or team choked the most? It is my contention, as some have argued against Power, that Hamlin lost his championship because he doesn't have enough experience on ovals. :eek:

Dr. Krogshöj
24th November 2010, 08:21
I don't know because I don't follow NASCAR but when I found it interesting how Mark Webber choked in the final F1 race. I was sure mid-season that both F1 and IndyCar would have an Aussie champion. As for Hamlin, I read he was doing alright until a crash with Biffle, and that wasn't his fault.

beachbum
24th November 2010, 11:19
I don't think Power or Hamlin "choked". I think they got beat by better teams who made fewer mistakes over the whole season. Franchitti and Johnson knew how to win the championships as they had "been there, done that". Weber IMHO, was beaten by his own team who obviously favored Vettel. Anyone who thought Weber would win the championship isn't paying attention to F1 politics.

nigelred5
24th November 2010, 11:47
Hamlin was wrecked.

I agree. Weber never had a chance. Team orders b.s. aside RedBull clearly favored Vettel and did nothing to improve Weber's points lead while leading the championship over Vettel. Had Vettel ever led the championship, that would have been immediately and noticeably different, despite team comments that there were no team orders. Weber's team Lost him the championship.

I still can't decide what happened with Power. Does the three headed monster throw off the karma at Penske, or did the schedule just favor better oval drivers to finish up the season? Will just doesn't have as much experience on ovals, well on track period as Dario. Dario should have a Champcar Championship trophy on the mantle as well, so I would never take anything away from Dario in winning the championship.

TURN3
24th November 2010, 12:12
Will just doesn't have as much experience on ovals, well on track period as Dario.

This was the point I was making fun of, Will Power's "lack of experience on ovals" had nothing to do with it. He actually performed quite well on ovals all year only to have numerous mistake made by the TEAM costing him solid finishes throughout the year. By the time they got to Homestead, they were in a position where they didn't have a car to win on that particular day and that is what they needed. Will was forced to take risks or lose the championship regardless...I applaud that as I do Dario's skill.

I sort of jokingly made the comparison but because everybody cried about the "experience" factor. If that were true it surely applied to Hamlin under remarkably similiar circumstances. Of course Hamlin has plenty of experience on ovals. You might say though that similiar to Power's team costing valueable points (as Beachbum eluded to) throught the year, Hamlin's team cost him similiarly in the chase with the carbuerator adjustment. That cost him Phoenix, pure and simple.

It truly is a team sport, and both championship results are proof of that.

Chris R
24th November 2010, 12:12
I don't think Power or Hamlin "choked". I think they got beat by better teams who made fewer mistakes over the whole season. Franchitti and Johnson knew how to win the championships as they had "been there, done that". Weber IMHO, was beaten by his own team who obviously favored Vettel. Anyone who thought Weber would win the championship isn't paying attention to F1 politics.

excellent analysis. As for key events, I think Power lost the championship mainly because of the pit stop mis-cue in the next to last race (when he had to stop an extra time and lost a ton of positions)...

Lee Roy
24th November 2010, 12:38
I don't know because I don't follow Indy Car.

TURN3
24th November 2010, 13:32
excellent analysis. As for key events, I think Power lost the championship mainly because of the pit stop mis-cue in the next to last race (when he had to stop an extra time and lost a ton of positions)...

+1

Happened at Indy, Chicago, & Kentucky. I think there was another team foul up in there also. And you're right, Beachbum's analysis being spot on. The team the made fewer mistakes throughout the season won. By comparison, over on the NASCAR side the chase shrinks that window and Hendrick Motorsports made fewer mistakes than Joe Gibbs Racing.

wedge
24th November 2010, 13:43
Power - ovals was his weak spot.

Hamlin - choked? Arguable. He thought he was slammed by Biffle when it was the other way round. You could argue Hamlin was too desperate to get off the corner but really its just one of those deals when you shoot out of a corner thinking you have rocket ship and so for me its a racing incident.

Webber - He choked IMHO as it was his to lose. Regardless of the rivalry Vettel was the quicker driver, especially in qualy. The evidence was there at the end of Saturday when he gave the interviews because his confidence went down the drain.

anthonyvop
24th November 2010, 17:18
I had the opportunity to talk with both Power and Hamilin on the days right before their final races.
One thing in common was they were both wound up tight and not acting like their usual selves.
Remember that both had fairly sizable leads earlier in the season only to have it narrow going into their final race and both had never experienced the pressure of fighting till the end for the championship before.
Dario and J.J. on the other hand were both loose like me who had "been there...done that."

Pressure to perform is difficult when it is your first time. I fully expect both Power and Hamlin to learn from the experience and come roaring back.

F1boat
24th November 2010, 17:19

This.

TURN3
24th November 2010, 23:44
I fully expect both Power and Hamlin to learn from the experience and come roaring back.

Absolutely agree with you here. Figured I'd make it a point to state so considering you don't get that often. Good post.

ICWS
25th November 2010, 02:10
Hamlin's team choked at Phoenix, and then Hamlin choked at Homestead. When you have such a small point lead like Hamlin did, you can't afford to race as aggressively as he did against Biffle at the beginning of the race, even though he was further back in comparison to Johnson and Harvick at the time. Still, he forgot to see what the long term goal was at that time and he choked. I don't think Power choked as much in comparison because the Ganassi cars were so damn good on ovals this year whereas Power was just okay on them, so he was already at a disadvantage going into the last 4 races of the year. As far as next year goes, I think Power has the best chance to redeem himself as he just needs to remain consistent on ovals and then he can go and dominate like he did on road/street courses this year. Hamlin can try to redeem himself, but it will be tougher: Johnson will remain in the hunt and guys like Gordon, Edwards, Stewart, Kyle and Kurt Busch, Harvick, etc. will be hungry to redeem themselves as well.