PDA

View Full Version : Brief clip of Dario driving Clark's Lotus...

Hoop-98
23rd November 2010, 14:28
A "preview" from Road and Track.

Dario in a Lotus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bU4uTjT_yU)

garyshell
23rd November 2010, 16:10
"Please, sir, I want some more."... Oliver Twist

Gary

SarahFan
23rd November 2010, 17:16
that is very cool

Chris R
23rd November 2010, 17:42
I'll second both of the previous posts!

edv
23rd November 2010, 19:49
Oh my!

NY2IA
24th November 2010, 17:02
Yes, more! At the first GP at the Speedway they brought out cars from the museum for a parade lap with the F-1 drivers. (Michael S.'s car broke down...) Anyway, it would be so fun to see some of the previous I500 winning cars do a lap before the next Indy 500 race, including Jimmy Clark's car. I know it is probably unrealistic, but fun none the less to think and dream about!

markabilly
25th November 2010, 04:40
and the music from that old ford motor that sung some 45 years ago was singing just fine.

Well that is one way they could re-invent the magic....add a little of that music back to the cars

Rollo
25th November 2010, 04:57
Can we just eliminate to whole IndyCar cars of the future nonsense and return to something that looks and sounds like this?

I prefer the sound of the eight cylinder symphony to today's music... it aint got the same soul.

ShiftingGears
25th November 2010, 06:16
What a noise!

Dr. Krogshöj
25th November 2010, 10:55
I bet that in the sixties, people were complaining that these engines don't sound like the ones of the interwar period... Fortunately, thanks to the advances in psychology, we know what it's called: nostalgia. It's a well documented phenomenon.

Hoop-98
26th November 2010, 22:31
Full Video (http://www.roadandtrack.com/special-report/video/dario-s-dream-special-report)

rh

wedge
27th November 2010, 21:41
Sweet!

F1boat
29th November 2010, 06:55
Super cool!

Mark in Oshawa
30th November 2010, 20:19
What was important to me watching the full video on Road and Track's page; was how Dario described the car and the reality of wrestling the changing weight as the fuel burned off, the way the car responded, and reacted..and the lack of aero.

For me, that is a lot of what is missing with today's car. Not that it is easy, but it should be tougher than it is.....

Marbles
1st December 2010, 00:03
Great find... thanks for posting.

I'm sure if Dario grew up in that era then driving that car would have been another day at the office but I'm curious about the fuel load.

The offset... forgot about that. Neat.

You tend to think that these beast were driven "all arms and elbows" so Dario's comments about control were surprising.

As I've said before, the late sixties Lotus is the sweetest.

Hoop-98
1st December 2010, 00:25
Drive in at 7500 instead of 6200 she might twitch a bit more!

Some good info on the QuadCammer (http://www.quadcamford.com/development.html)

BTW, one engine in 65 (23000) would have bought 35 days of shaker rig testing in 2010 dollars.

rh

Marbles
1st December 2010, 00:57
Drive in at 7500 instead of 6200 she might twitch a bit more!

Some good info on the QuadCammer (http://www.quadcamford.com/development.html)

BTW, one engine in 65 (23000) would have bought 35 days of shaker rig testing in 2010 dollars.

rh

Surely more effort was required when driving at full speed but still surprised the DF's comments. But then again, it is a Lotus.

Another nice link even for the non-technically minded such as myself. I'm a couple of years shy of remembering those days and although certainly not a Luddite, there is certainly a romance for the days when these folks were reaching for the ceiling instead of constantly driving the crowns of their skulls through it year after year.

And the cost... a different world altogether.

garyshell
1st December 2010, 05:32
What was important to me watching the full video on Road and Track's page; was how Dario described the car and the reality of wrestling the changing weight as the fuel burned off, the way the car responded, and reacted..and the lack of aero.

It's just what you, I and many other folks have been lobbying for for quite a while.

Gary

ShiftingGears
1st December 2010, 08:00
I bet that in the sixties, people were complaining that these engines don't sound like the ones of the interwar period... Fortunately, thanks to the advances in psychology, we know what it's called: nostalgia. It's a well documented phenomenon.

No, the engine really does just sound amazing...

Mark in Oshawa
1st December 2010, 20:26
Watched it again...that motor is unique sounding...raspy and nasty..you know you hear that thing barking and roaring that there is a vicious side to that power...

markabilly
6th December 2010, 04:07

No, at the time of the sixties the debate was between the turbo offy and the v-8 as to which screamed the best at full song.....no one was fussing about the interwar engines.

I should know, I heard that music live from a field of 33 cars. :D

And as Andretti once said, around the time of 1979 and the aero cars, as to what was toughest car to drive, he said doing a lap at full speed in 1965 or 67 at Indy, required more skill than driving what he referred to as point and shoot F1 cars.....because as the speed rose, the grip went down and skill to keep a 65 lotus on track skyrocketed.....

but aero devices at speed only make it easier to drive fast corners........

He should know as he won races in both :D