PDA

View Full Version : Who's gettin' what...

Enjun Pullr
22nd November 2010, 02:50
This recent article has some quotes from Tony Cotman about manufacturer competition and how the Series will react to it:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/miller-two-great-weeks/

This is not your father's Oldsmobile. The concept of factory teams and arms races to flog the competition are past mistakes that will not be repeated, if this deal works as intended.

Hoop-98
22nd November 2010, 16:22
Pretty hard to say. I don't think there will be a large advantage for any of the packages, but every little bit helps.

Known or assumed

Chevy-----Honda------Lotus
Penske 3____________KV 2

Will all Chevys be Chevy-Chevy, Honda's Honda-Honda, Loti Lotus-Lotus?

Will Ganassi's NASCAR Chevrolet affiliation be a factor, if so there goes 6-7 Chevy's right there.

I would guess Foyt would want Chevrolet.

I think Andretti will be Honda because there is no NASCAR link to Chevy.

I think Lotus will be the hardest to fill out.

I remember each year in 90'sCART wondering which combination would be 'The Package". In my case this is one of the more interesting parts of seasonal; changes.

rh

Mark in Oshawa
22nd November 2010, 17:04
I think whichever engine works the best will be the one people will want in the end. Winning trumps all kids....

Chamoo
22nd November 2010, 18:14
Will all Chevys be Chevy-Chevy, Honda's Honda-Honda, Loti Lotus-Lotus?

Honda has not said anything about building an aero-kit. There is also the potential for Dallara-Honda's or Dallara-Lotus' or Dallara-Chevrolet's. Same goes for any of the other aerokit manufacturers that enter the sport.

I doubt you'll will see a Honda-Chevy.

jwhite9185
22nd November 2010, 18:15
I remember each year in 90'sCART wondering which combination would be 'The Package". In my case this is one of the more interesting parts of seasonal; changes.

rh

Same here! Couldnt believe it when Ganassi ditched the all conquering Reynard-Honda for the pretty uncompetitive at that time Lola-Toyota in 2000. Also pretty excited when PacWest annonced they had switched to Toyota in 2001 - although that was a forced move after Mercedes pulled out after a poor few years after having one of the best engines in 1997.

If only things could be the same again. Although there is 3 engine manafacturers now, would be good to see another few proper chassis manafacturers too and not just bolt on aero kits.

Anybody know if Penske still has their factory in Poole?

nigelred5
22nd November 2010, 18:24
No, they shut that down and consolidated their composites operation with all of the team in North Carolina. All of Penske's teams and racing ops are at the same facililty now.

Enjun Pullr
22nd November 2010, 21:33
More from Cotman on the subject:

http://www.racer.com/tony-cotmans-blog-lots-to-be-excited-about/article/191375/

Note this is the first anyone has said on the record that the Lotus engine will be a V6.

nigelred5
22nd November 2010, 22:12
It's unfortunate IMHO that a V6 was even an option. I suppose it's a more durable option, but 4 cylinder engines are likely to be far more common in the future.