PDA

View Full Version : The 5 Year Plan

rjbetty
16th November 2010, 03:53
So, we have finally reached the end of the famous 5 year plan.

How did it go?

My Tuppence:
--------------
From the start in 2006, he was a fair bit further off the pace than I expected. He was MILES off the pace in Monte-Carlo. A concern. But some good flashes came along, such as ending day 1 of Mexico 6th with much improved pace. Then beating local dude Companc to 8th and wining a stage in Argentina. Would have hoped for more in 2006, but it was early days so just fine.

2007 with a latest model Focus brought only a slight improvement in pace in the first half of the season. At this time Colin Mcrae declared that so far, there was no greatness shown, and didn't believe he WOULD make it, but thought he still COULD. That was about right it seemed.

Each year, a good step forward has been made. I was always just fine with that. The guy is still very young. But it seems he was always just short of where it would be reasonable to expect him to be. But as long as he is going forwards it was fine.

Then came this year. I was very concerned about how much more speed could come but was excited to see him drawing nearer to the pace again. My goodness, what an awful disappointment. He actually was slower than in 2009! The car definitely seems further behind, but that just doesn't seem to be a good enough explanation at all. And he is STILL outpaced by not exactly amazing Henning Solberg. What a great disappointment to see he was further from the pace at just about every rally than before.

I always kept the faith in the guy but am really struggling now. My main reason for having an interest in WRC these days (I used to be a die-hard fan, but not these days) is to see how he gets on. I still so much want to see him succeed. When there was a poll of favourite drivers a few months ago, I was one of the 2 to vote for him! But even I am now thinking maybe he should leave the WRC and become a Stobart truck driver. I've seen the Stobart documentaries on TV, and think that job would be really suited to a consistent driver such as him.

OVERALL VERDICT AFTER 5 YEARS: NOT A SUCCESS (SADLY)

What do you think?

GigiGalliNo1
16th November 2010, 04:34
haha

Josti
16th November 2010, 05:57
It all comes down to raw talent. Wilson can steer a car, but he's just not gifted enough to ever make a mark in the sport.

Sulland
16th November 2010, 07:09
He is being groomed to take over M-Sport is a few years, just want some practice first.
Lets see if he still is UKs fastest WRC driver after 2011, maybe he still is ??

Donney
16th November 2010, 07:39
I don't think he has what it takes but he gave it a try, a long one....

It may be time to move over, or maybe the new cars would suit him best!

bluuford
16th November 2010, 07:51
But even I am now thinking maybe he should leave the WRC and become a Stobart truck driver. I've seen the Stobart documentaries on TV, and think that job would be really suited to a consistent driver such as him.

What do you think?

I think that your last chapter is the best chapter I have red in this forum :-)

sollitt
16th November 2010, 07:52
What do you think?

Well done Betty. Just when we thought the season was over and we are to be spared any more mindless attacks on young Wilson, you start an entirely new thread dedicated to him.

The lad's inclusion in the Stobart team is a private matter for those involved and absolutely no business of anyone on this forum.

Those who attack him from the anonymity of a nom de plume do so for two reasons only;
1. Jealousy.
2. A general lack of intelligence prompting them to write the kind of drivel they believe will earn them populace support.

Tuppence? You've overstated the value several fold!

cut the b.s.
16th November 2010, 11:03
Well done Betty. Just when we thought the season was over and we are to be spared any more mindless attacks on young Wilson, you start an entirely new thread dedicated to him.

The lad's inclusion in the Stobart team is a private matter for those involved and absolutely no business of anyone on this forum.

Those who attack him from the anonymity of a nom de plume do so for two reasons only;
1. Jealousy.
2. A general lack of intelligence prompting them to write the kind of drivel they believe will earn them populace support.

what an odd post from sollitt!

Wilson does add to the WRC IMO as he is another car and is quite good to watch on the slower stuff, his car control is fine, but he still drives like he doesnt trust what the car will do, watch him on any fast stuff and he does more faffing about to set the car up before corners than any of the top guys, he isnt a bad driver and he will never be a great one but had he been around 15 years earlier I think his style would have suited the GpA cars more

16th November 2010, 11:09
To Sollitt,

Wilson jr is competing in a popular sport, a sport whose business is to promote cars and sponsors. Wilson jr is promoting a Ford and Stobart. This my friend is also called communication. Therefore by definition he is FAIR GAME to be criticized. Some drivers will be hailed, others disliked. He is generally disliked on this forum.

If his business is to remain private, as you put it, then perhaps Wilson jr should not put himself in the spotlight.

just my rightly evaluated two cents. ;)

regards

AndyRAC
16th November 2010, 11:32
To Sollitt,

Wilson jr is competing in a popular sport, a sport whose business is to promote cars and sponsors. Wilson jr is promoting a Ford and Stobart. This my friend is also called communication. Therefore by definition he is FAIR GAME to be criticized. Some drivers will be hailed, others disliked. He is generally disliked on this forum.

If his business is to remain private, as you put it, then perhaps Wilson jr should not put himself in the spotlight.

just my rightly evaluated two cents. ;)

regards

Are you sure it's popular though???

16th November 2010, 11:43
Are you sure it's popular though???

Well, looking at how many people read this forum I would say yes. :D

Seriously, I believe rally is a very popular sport in many countries. :)

BDunnell
16th November 2010, 11:55

1. Jealousy.

What a load of nonsense. He was expressing an opinion — one I thought was perfectly reasonable. Have you never done likewise? And do you seriously think Wilson is as good as the best in the WRC?

Oh, and when complaining of a 'general lack of intelligence', it would do not to then write something like 'populace support', which isn't good English.

Macd
16th November 2010, 12:01
Well done Betty..........

Just my two cents: This is a public forum for the discussion of the WRC; Wilson is a WRC driver and therefore open to discussion, be it positive or negative and to be honest his inclusion in the Stobart team is a private matter but still a bewildering decision that people will want to talk about. Also, its hardly a mindless attack since he's simply stating his opinion on the matter. And wilson is hardly a "young driver" since he's been driving in the WRC for five years and the majority of world champions I can name have won the WRC within their first five years in the sport, or at least an event. Wilson has never finished on the podium and by that logic he's destined to be mediocre for the rest of his career, much like his father.

sal
16th November 2010, 13:01
What about Al Qassimi, Block and Raikkonen all guys who are in their drives due to the money behind them? Can we open this debate up to include their ability./results? To single one driver out suggests a loaded agenda on the posters part(s)

noel157
16th November 2010, 13:29
What about Al Qassimi, Block and Raikkonen all guys who are in their drives due to the money behind them? Can we open this debate up to include their ability./results? To single one driver out suggests a loaded agenda on the posters part(s)

Something to do with telling the media on regular occasions that he will be WRC champion perhaps?

One example:

http://www.crash.net/world+rally/news/152897/1/matt_wilson_the_goal_to_be_wrc_champion.html (the comments are very amusing at the end of the article).

Along with the usual stage end interview about confidence and learning etc and something wrong with the car or the notes.

I'm sure he's a decent bloke and as said he's ok to watch on the twisty stuff from a spectator's point of view.

Al Qassimi is there for the fun (and part of the sponsorship package), same as Block who has no problem showing in interviews that he is in awe of the top drivers. As for Kimi, it's his first year and he's not that far behind Wilson at times.
Wilson should just keep his head down and stay as far away from a microphone as possible or tell his father to put the money somewhere else (like a driver with potential).

sal
16th November 2010, 13:33
Based on that article criticize away....

rjbetty
16th November 2010, 13:46

1. Jealousy.

No no - I don't care too much about agreeing with popular opinion. On the News and Rumours thread II, someone asked about who would dare admit they support Wilson now, and I came right out and said "Me". I posted this thread because I am still really interested in the guy and his career. I like him and really want him to do well, but I have to say this year was a terrible disappointment. I'm not jealous of him at all (I don't envy the criticism he gets anyway!)

I don't think it's a mindless attack. I thought about what I said, and I was just saying his performance was disappointing. His "impressive" 6th place in Finland was not impressive to me.

Although I am a big Toni Gardemeister and Roman Kresta an, Malcolm sacked them in 2005 for not "stepping up to the mark". Harsh, but fair. I respected him for it. But now he says Finland 2010 was impressive (he was the equivalent of more than 3 seconds per lap off the pace in F1 terms) and as far as I can see, doesn't seem to be indicating to his son that he needs to shape up.
MY FALLIBLE OPINION = I think that might be good for him. It worked for Mikko Hirvonen in 2005 when he really, very seriously had to stop tooling around and pull his finger out.

This is funny - in my first post, I didn't realise I hadn't even actually mentioned Wilson's name! Then when I did, I wrote the rest of the post deliberately leaving his name out (and everyone knew who I was on about! Haha) How do you know I wasn't talking about Aaron Burkart? Lol :)

Though Aaron's 5 year plan DID result in the stated aim of a Championship!

--------------------

I singled him out because I am more interested in him than any other driver, which is positive.

--------------------

The Stobart documentary showed a lady who had to drive a truck with care because it was loaded with cream cakes, which can splat everywhere. The kind of driving required is consistent and it's very important not to drive too fast. Aw I feel bad making a joke of him cos I do like him, but I couldn't help giggling because I thought at the time I can think of just the guy for the job.

--------------------

He said the 2011 sort of car suits him much better. Good to see he hasn't given up, though I am struggling a bit now. I guess he was about 1.8 seconds per kilometre off the pace on average this year??? Maybe he will get under 1.5sec/km now.

noel157
16th November 2010, 14:02
Based on that article criticize away....

Well it was one example, of many This is a forum, discuss. Put your case up for him rather than the "what about" stuff.

BDunnell
16th November 2010, 14:23

Why? I don't see why a thread about one driver rather than another should cause a problem.

N.O.T
16th November 2010, 14:30
the annoying thing about wilson i think is that he presents himself as a future champion rather than a useless privateer he is...i think everyone would be much happier and would have no problem if he presented himself like a hobby guy who just drives for fun

Instead that bigheaded daddys money boy always in his interviews says he is here to become champion and even compares himself with Mcrae and Burns....

but ok its nice to have him and raikonnen in the sport...every circus needs some clown people to have a laugh with.

MrJan
16th November 2010, 14:30
Something to do with telling the media on regular occasions that he will be WRC champion perhaps?

Would you rather that he told the media that his goal was to come 6th in the championship?

Wilson isn't all that good, but without him I doubt that Stobart would bother sponsoring a driver and we'd be left with a championship even more bare than it is now.

As far as I'm aware Matt doesn't go trying to grab media attention (certainly not like Block), the microphone comes to him. I'm not a Wilson fan, I don't think that he'll ever amount to anything interesting and I think that Kimi will be a better rally driver by the end of another season, however I don't really see the point in complaining about the bloke.

jonas_mcrae
16th November 2010, 15:34
I remember when the 5 year plan started, it actually didnt sound that bad and it was good to have an other car running rallies, but after 2007 it was obvious Matt didnt have the speed.

Now its ridiculous, specially in the season 2009 the level in wrc was extremly low, with only two works teams and petter in a Xsara, the chances to grab some podiums were quite real (henning got two...), but instead wilson was fighting and most of the times, loosing with the rest of the bottom of the table. Ogier was in his first full season and finished the year just 4 points behind a driver who had 4 years doing the championship...

2010 was worse, he only got to 5th once, again finished the championship 7th this time beating H. Solberg, BUT Henning did some events with a fiesta and didnt score points!

What is to come in 2011? I dont think he will be even close to works drivers (unless the mini really sucks...), IMO he should drive an s2000 in 2011, if it goes well, then have a last chance with WRC in 2012. But still im quite bearish on his chances.

cut the b.s.
16th November 2010, 15:40

Al Qassimi doesnt pretend to be the next big thing.

I wanted to dislike Block, his Gymkana videos arent my thing, brash Americans arent either, but watching how he has gone about WRC this year and I have to say I am full of respect for him.
He is a very successful business man, he came late to rallying and that he can do the times he does is fair doing. In any interview I have heard with him he shows huge respect to the events and to those who can cover the stages faster than him, he isnt pretending to be going anywhere in the sport, he's just enjoying being there.

Kimi, again late to the sport, google him, he has proved himself else where before coming to rallying

You forgot Henning solberg, poor year too, but for me his S2000 drives show what he can do when happy in a car.

Would your defence of Matt be anything to do with your shared nationalities? Maybe its you with the loaded agenda?

alleskids
16th November 2010, 15:59
I think that Mathew Wilson is quite a good driver, much better then most of us on the forum, and predictable to finish in the (lower) points. His only fail is that he pretended to be a furture world champion, and he failed in being that, even with having the best equipement available, with lots of testing posibilities, and help from WRC rally winning drivers.

Mathew Wilson is a good WRC driver, but not good enough to fullfill the dreams he had, especially with the oppertunities he had. Many more talented drivers would do beter with the oppertunities and equipement Mathew got. Many rallydriver would give his/her left arm for 1/2, even 1/4 off the oppertunity/equipement he has been given, and even without their left arm would do better then Wilson.

GigiGalliNo1
16th November 2010, 16:02
Bla bla bla, i watched the highlights from GB.... and they showed the top contenders..... then out of the blue three times of Wilson....

Matt Wilson?!?!? I was waiting to see Ostberg, Henning, Black for crying out loud but no

Just because he was a british driver driving in a british rally.... EH

I don't think he brings anything to the table... not after 5 years?!??!?

16th November 2010, 17:09
the annoying thing about wilson i think is that he presents himself as a future champion rather than a useless privateer he is...i think everyone would be much happier and would have no problem if he presented himself like a hobby guy who just drives for fun

Instead that bigheaded daddys money boy always in his interviews says he is here to become champion and even compares himself with Mcrae and Burns....

but ok its nice to have him and raikonnen in the sport...every circus needs some clown people to have a laugh with.

+1.000.000.000.000........................... :rotflmao:

TyPat107
16th November 2010, 17:58
As far as I'm aware Matt doesn't go trying to grab media attention (certainly not like Block), the microphone comes to him. I'm not a Wilson fan, I don't think that he'll ever amount to anything interesting and I think that Kimi will be a better rally driver by the end of another season, however I don't really see the point in complaining about the bloke.

Have you not seen the useless press releases they pass out about him to rallybuzz and the like? "Wilson finishes ahead of Kimi!" Really? kimi went off the road and thats what you take away from it?

But I will agree with you about Block, though he isn't doing it at the world level like he did here in the US. But Block has also stated he knows he can't win, he is just looking to increase his speed and skill which after one season is close to Wilson's fifth season. Oh no it almost sounds like I stood up for Block.. thats never happened before.

Daniel
16th November 2010, 21:01

1. Jealousy.

As Ben said, what a load of nonsense.

Keeping Mathew on shows where Malcolm's priorities don't lay. Over the years Malcolm has had some fantastic chances to really give his team the chance to do well but seemingly makes a habit out of making the wrong choice or pursuing something which is clearly not working for years after we (the people with a general lack of intelligence) have worked it out.

Seriously, you're deluded mate. Just because other people here haven't spent their time organising rallies, competing in rallies or selling TRD bits doesn't mean they don't know what they're talking about. We have different ways of looking at things and tbh in some ways looking at things from the fans point of view is the right way to look at it as the sport belongs to us and not the competitors or some jobsworths who mete out the most petty forms of justice based on their petty small minded interpretations of the rules.

If the forum archive wasn't gone I'd show you hundreds of posts saying that active diffs had to go, cars had to get cheaper, remote services had to be allowed and that mille pistes would never work........ YEARS before dimwits like Morrie Chandler & co have made the changes which had been made in the last few years which have taken the WRC in a more positive direction to the one it was taking.....

Long rant, but the message I'm trying to put across is that even for all your involvement in the sport you still don't know what you're talking about.

Daniel
16th November 2010, 21:10
P.S I don't dislike Matt in particular. I've disliked Warmbold & various other drivers wasting daddy's money in the past. The problem is that for me Matty is a distraction for daddy when daddy is meant to be running a team which is the main competition for Citroen and Loeb. Now I'm a Citroen/Loeb fan but I'm not one of these idiots who just wants to see his team winning, I want to see proper opposition and that can only happen if Malcolm runs his team properly and brings in decent drivers rather than clinging to the old saying "if you want to win bring a Finn" because contrary to what Malcolm thinks, that doesn't mean just getting any Finn! It takes a Makinen, Gronholm, Alen, Toivonen, Vatanen or dare I say it even a Paasonen.

Ok so I said Paasonen just to keep AFF happy but you get what I mean ;)

sollitt
16th November 2010, 23:52
One thing you can always be absolutely certain about Daniel, is that I always know exactly what I'm talking about.
Which is a direct contrast to knowing what on earth it is that you are talking about ... an affliction I sadly share with most on the forum.

Rather than being anything at all to do with my near 40 years involvement in rallying or my business acumen (thankyou for acknowledging) my comment is simply about common decency and maturity, 2 traits you can presently only aspire to.

Matthew Wilson would appear at face value to be quite a likeable young fellow and I don't believe for a moment that he is "generally disliked".
I think we can all accept that he is unlikely to rise to be WRC champion however that is no reason not to have it as a goal.

A quick 'google' reveals that M Sport employs some 200+ staff and so it is fair to assume that Matthew's programme is likely catered by others delegated to the role and is an unlikely distraction for Wilson Snr.

Accepting that the lad is where he is through priviledge, he is certainly far from the first to be so and most assuredly will not be the last. They all have the right to be there and all add value. This afterall is the defining difference between rallying and other codes of motorsport.

Very few in such position have demonstrated 'champion' material and I would be surprised if Matthew's performances were bettered by any more than one or two.

Whilst there are undoubtedly a number of drivers presently demonstrating more speed, and perhaps talent, and who lack the resource to secure a seat at WRC level, it's surely time that we acknowledge firstly that the seat Wilson fills would not have been available to them, secondly that he has done nobody on this forum, or the sport for that matter, any harm and that he is not deserving of your continual derision.

He is simply a young man who has taken an opportunity presented to him and is running with it as best he can as I'm sure would the rest of us if fortunate enough to be in the same position.

Those who cannot make such an acknowledgment and who continually malign Wilson Jnr actually make much more of a statement about their own inadequacies than they do about his.

Oh, a PS Daniel. Morrie Chandler is a countryman. If you think slagging off at him is a way to upset me, you'd be wrong. I am no particular fan of Morrie's but I do have enormous respect for him.
A long time high performing competitor, a very successful businessman, an astute and knowledgeable administrator and an asset who adds value wherever he goes, Morrie can rightly be credited with bringing the WRC one of it's highest quality & most favourite events. It would be difficult to imagine a more qualified person to fill the roles that he has.
If you possessed an ounce of Morrie's DNA you'd be a far greater man than you have any hope of becoming.

BDunnell
16th November 2010, 23:54
One thing that continues to amaze me in motorsport is the apparent stupidity of sponsors who support the careers of drivers who are clearly never going to go the whole way. Does Stobart get the best possible value out of supporting Wilson? I doubt it. Their money would be far better spent somewhere else.

BDunnell
16th November 2010, 23:55
Very few in such position have demonstrated 'champion' material and I would be surprised if Matthew's performances were bettered by any more than one or two.

How many times, exactly, has he finished third in a WRC event?

sollitt
17th November 2010, 00:27
How many times, exactly, has he finished third in a WRC event? Has anybody suggested that he has?

As for the sponsors. Well I guess that's for themselves to evaluate. If they continue we can only assume that they perceive that they are getting value for money.

ShiftingGears
17th November 2010, 07:35
The five year plan failed, obviously because Wilson is mediocre and never will amount to anything as a driver. There are several drivers who would beat him given the equipment.

Now, Malcolm Wilson - much more worthy of critisism.

Daniel
17th November 2010, 07:44
One thing you can always be absolutely certain about Daniel, is that I always know exactly what I'm talking about.
Which is a direct contrast to knowing what on earth it is that you are talking about ... an affliction I sadly share with most on the forum.

Oh, a PS Daniel. Morrie Chandler is a countryman. If you think slagging off at him is a way to upset me, you'd be wrong. I am no particular fan of Morrie's but I do have enormous respect for him.
A long time high performing competitor, a very successful businessman, an astute and knowledgeable administrator and an asset who adds value wherever he goes, Morrie can rightly be credited with bringing the WRC one of it's highest quality & most favourite events. It would be difficult to imagine a more qualified person to fill the roles that he has.
If you possessed an ounce of Morrie's DNA you'd be a far greater man than you have any hope of becoming.

Up yourself much?

Saying that Morrie is to be respected in his role is like saying Hitler was a great leader and how dare I criticise him as I was never a leader of a country. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Morrie has done too much far too slowly and that the WRC has declined further whilst he's been where he is.

Come back when you actually have some proper reasoning for your opinions.

P.S you and your uruk-hai mates might not know, but all humans possess 99.something percent of the same DNA so your analogy is sadly crapola :laugh:

Daniel
17th November 2010, 07:51
One thing that continues to amaze me in motorsport is the apparent stupidity of sponsors who support the careers of drivers who are clearly never going to go the whole way. Does Stobart get the best possible value out of supporting Wilson? I doubt it. Their money would be far better spent somewhere else.

The thing is the coverage at the moment does sadly give Matt some time on viewers screens for some inexplicable reason...... But DAVE are not doing the coverage next year and unless money changes hands I see no reason why he'll get coverage next year wherever the coverage lands.

AndyRAC
17th November 2010, 08:29
I’m sure Morrie is a decent bloke who had the best of intentions for the sport, but he couldn’t really get anything done, probably not helped by the attitude of the 2 teams. However Jean Todt seems intent in really changing things, hence appointing Jarmo Mahonen/ Robert Reid.
As for Matt, it’s noticeable on the stages, he is hesitant, lacking confidence – which I think he has admitted, and has said he feels more comfortable in the Fiesta.

MrJan
17th November 2010, 09:01

They get more value than out of supporting a driver of a similar level. TV often shows Wilson (as people have complained on this thread), but we rarely see anything of Henning or Ostberg.

I'll repeat what I said earlier though, I'm not sure that Stobart/second M-Sport team would actually be around if it weren't for Wilson, for that reason I'm glad that he's in the sport. There are drivers out there that are quicker, but unless they can find the sponsorship we won't see them. I find it crazy that people feel Matt should be happy to bring sponsorship to a team and not bother driving.

COD
18th November 2010, 13:43
It is really a two edged sword. They would win a lot of credit from enthusiast by admitting that the five year plan didn't work and Matt will be never be a champion.

But, he is the only British driver in the top level (next year Meeke will be there on selected events) and that has guaranteed god media exposure in the UK for both Ford and Stobart. And would they be so interested in him if they admitted he is useless?

I am evil Homer
18th November 2010, 13:55
I find Al Qassimi's inclusion more annoying - he's no better really but is there for the money he brings. Wilson is supported by a local business with a local team. They get decent coverage considering...he's not "taking" the seat from anyone ele either - if someone with the same backing came along Wilson Sr could sort them a car no problem.

So if Matt is supported by a sponsor and they're happy for him to go rallying, he can go rallying.

DonJippo
18th November 2010, 14:00
I’m sure Morrie is a decent bloke who had the best of intentions for the sport, but he couldn’t really get anything done, probably not helped by the attitude of the 2 teams. However Jean Todt seems intent in really changing things, hence appointing Jarmo Mahonen/ Robert Reid.

Don't place your hopes too high even the names in charge have changed, the politics within FIA will still stay the same and changes are hard to make to please everyone involved.

AndyRAC
18th November 2010, 15:27
Don't place your hopes too high even the names in charge have changed, the politics within FIA will still stay the same and changes are hard to make to please everyone involved.

No, it is the FIA after all.....

bennizw
18th November 2010, 15:34
What I find hard to understand, is why the press hasnīt approached this situation as they should, by being critical. I havenīt seen one article or video clip where a journalist has come with critical questions to Malcolm concerning his sons drive. What has happened to the free and unindependent WRC-press?

N.O.T
18th November 2010, 15:37
What has happened to the free and unindependent WRC-press?

it never existed in the first place....

bennizw
18th November 2010, 21:12
Exactly, and that is sad.