PDA

View Full Version : Who will be quickest in the young drivers test?

wattoroos
15th November 2010, 10:07
Personally i think it will still be the usual suspects with red bull, ferrari and maclaren. but as the drivers ability are different from those in f1, it might throw up a few suprises like perez up there in a sauber.

i think it will probaly be ricciardo with red bull but anything can happen

RJL25
15th November 2010, 10:14
Ricciardo was a LONG way fastest at last years young driver test session, and i mean a LOOOOOOOONG way the fastest, so I really see no reason why he won't be again.

I really think if Red Bull aren't willing to punt either of their Torro Rosso drivers for this guy, they should arrange a race seat for him with Lotus or one of the other small teams (package him with the gearbox?) because the guy is definetly ready for F1, not sure how much more he can learn racing in the junior catagories.

Yes he hasn't done GP2 yet, but the guy has proven himself to be massively quick in an F1 car already, GP2 would just be a formality and a waste of a year... Vettel didn't do GP2, and Ricciardo actually has a better junior catagory record so far then Vettel did

wattoroos
15th November 2010, 10:48
Ricciardo was a LONG way fastest at last years young driver test session, and i mean a LOOOOOOOONG way the fastest, so I really see no reason why he won't be again.

I really think if Red Bull aren't willing to punt either of their Torro Rosso drivers for this guy, they should arrange a race seat for him with Lotus or one of the other small teams (package him with the gearbox?) because the guy is definetly ready for F1, not sure how much more he can learn racing in the junior catagories.

Yes he hasn't done GP2 yet, but the guy has proven himself to be massively quick in an F1 car already, GP2 would just be a formality and a waste of a year... Vettel didn't do GP2, and Ricciardo actually has a better junior catagory record so far then Vettel did

yeah i agree but i think red bull are waiting to webber retires so that there is room for him in toro rosso, although i think that buemi still hasnt proved himself in the two years and i think that alguersuari was put in too early but i think he has more potential then buemi

Valve Bounce
15th November 2010, 11:06
Well, I understand Nico Hulkenberg is available.

jens
15th November 2010, 11:31
I don't know, who will be participating in that test, but if the likes of Ricciardo and di Resta are present, they could be expected to be among front-runners.

Well, I understand Nico Hulkenberg is available.

He has already raced in F1, so won't be eligible to participate.

Ranger
15th November 2010, 23:14
Ricciardo. I expect him to be plucked out of whatever series he is racing in next year at the expense of one of the STR drivers.

Just going on past STR history.

truefan72
15th November 2010, 23:29
frankly I could care less

All these tests are meaningless,. since drivers are probably picked by anything other than raw speed or talent these days
(yes I'm still pissed about the Hulkenberg thing :( )

Ranger
15th November 2010, 23:29
I don't know, who will be participating in that test, but if the likes of Ricciardo and di Resta are present, they could be expected to be among front-runners.

Red Bull: Daniel Ricciardo

McLaren: Oliver Turvey, Gary Paffett

Ferrari: Cesar Ramos, Stephane Richelmi, Andrea Caldarelli

Mercedes: Sam Bird

Renault: Jerome D'Ambrosio, Mikhail Aleshin

Williams: Pastor Maldonado

Force India: Yelmer Buurman, Antonio Felix da Costa

Sauber: Sergio Perez (unconfirmed but it makes sense)

STR: Jean-Eric Vergne

Lotus: Vladimir Arabadzhiev, Rodolfo Gonzalez

Virgin: Liuz Razia, Jerome D'Ambrosio, Rio Haryanto

HRT: Davide Valsecchi, Josef Kral

Ari
16th November 2010, 01:33

Agree 100 percent. Ricciardo by the length of the Flemington straight!

NEEDS a seat at Toro Rosso.

ShiftingGears
16th November 2010, 02:50
I have to say about Ricciardo - why does everyone here say his name as if there was no second i?

Also, Force India are too stubborn to change their line-up. Whenever they seemingly get close to changing drivers, their least favoured driver beats the other in one or two races and then the talk of giving Di Resta a crack disappears again!

RJL25
16th November 2010, 05:10
I have to say about Ricciardo - why does everyone here say his name as if there was no second i?

I dunno, whats the right way? "Ricc-i-ar-do" or "Ricc-ar-do"? I think with the media they don't really know much about him so they just see his name come up on the auto-q and just have a stab in the dark at pronouncing it.

Ari
16th November 2010, 06:24
I dunno, whats the right way? "Ricc-i-ar-do" or "Ricc-ar-do"? I think with the media they don't really know much about him so they just see his name come up on the auto-q and just have a stab in the dark at pronouncing it.

It's "Ricc-i-ar-do", media are starting to say it right.....

CNR
16th November 2010, 11:27
http://www.planet-f1.com/news/3213/6510822/Impressive-Ricciardo-top-in-Abu-Dhabi

Daniel Ricciardo, driving Red Bull's double winning RB6, posted the best time of 1:40.803 in the first session.
The 21-year-old Australian completed 46 laps around the Yas Marina Circuit and his time was nearly two seconds better than that of the next fastest man on the track Paul di Resta. Ricciardo's time is a really good effort as Sebastian Vettel posted a 1:39.394 to grab pole for Red Bull during Saturday's Abu Dhabi Grand Prix qualifying.

AndyL
16th November 2010, 11:39
McLaren: Oliver Turvey, Gary Paffett

Gary Paffett? Is that really in the spirit of the young drivers test given that he's been a regular test driver for several years?

Ari
16th November 2010, 11:40
Forget about Toro Rosso! This kids going to be in the Red Bull next year alongside Vettel, well after Webber announces he's off to Ferrari and Massa head to Renault! :p

Kid is owning the competition.

They've said the track is a good second quicker now than quali on Saturday due to the rubber put down on Sunday in the race.

I am evil Homer
16th November 2010, 11:50
He should be though....he's in easily the best car there by a long way. Stick Di Resta in it and he'd be as quick. Is Paffett really there for the Pirelli testing session and not the "young" test?

52Paddy
16th November 2010, 11:55
It's "Ricc-i-ar-do", media are starting to say it right.....

I thought it was "Rich - ee - ar - do". Then again, I've never heard it pronounced and, initially, I thought he was Italian. Looking forward to the results later.

52Paddy
16th November 2010, 12:13
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88317

Ricciardo quickest as expected. I'm a little disappointed to see Maldonado so far off the pace, but he is in a HRT after all. Also, Paul di Resta did a good job considering he's running heavier than Da Costa and, possibly, Ricciardo.

gm99
16th November 2010, 13:28

For the same reason maybe that the "i" in Giancarlo isn't pronounced?

Gary Paffett? Is that really in the spirit of the young drivers test given that he's been a regular test driver for several years?

Also considering he will turning thirty at the beginning of next season while the current worldchampion is only 23. Any way you look at it, Paffett certainly isn't a young driver...

keysersoze
16th November 2010, 15:04
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88317

Ricciardo quickest as expected. I'm a little disappointed to see Maldonado so far off the pace, but he is in a HRT after all. Also, Paul di Resta did a good job considering he's running heavier than Da Costa and, possibly, Ricciardo.

The HRT was slow but Maldonado was certainly not. He was 1.8 seconds FASTER than Senna's qualifying time, who was quicker than Klein this time.

I hear the track is faster; however, no other test driver was faster than the team's regular drivers.

52Paddy
16th November 2010, 15:27
The HRT was slow but Maldonado was certainly not. He was 1.8 seconds FASTER than Senna's qualifying time, who was quicker than Klein this time.

I hear the track is faster; however, no other test driver was faster than the team's regular drivers.

Cheers for putting me wide to that.

Wimanna
16th November 2010, 15:45

also, Jerome D'Ambrosio was faster than Glocks 1.44.0, but he is already used to the Virgin off course ... But Maldonado did a great job in the HRT ;)

truefan72
17th November 2010, 00:19
Forget about Toro Rosso! This kids going to be in the Red Bull next year alongside Vettel, well after Webber announces he's off to Ferrari and Massa head to Renault! :p

They've said the track is a good second quicker now than quali on Saturday due to the rubber put down on Sunday in the race.

remind me which car was completely dominant in 2010?
I suspect his times are a result of this and the fact that he was their third driver and did tons of simulator work for them, probably even in the run up to Abu Dhabi. Not surprised at all. Plus nobody knows what setups and strategies they were working on.

Sleeper
17th November 2010, 00:37
I'm amazed at all the talk of parachuting Ricciardo streight into a race seat. How many times have we seen young drivers set very fast testing times but struggle in their first year of racing because they werent ready? He needs a year of GP2 first.

Surprised to see Bianchi so far down the times, he is one quick driver.

Tazio
17th November 2010, 03:07
Well, I understand Nico Hulkenberg is available.What about Christian Klien. He is with a "B" team but he is connected!
(Austrian) I say Klien is as fast as Sebastian Vettel, and he drove with Webber first.
The lad has hung around; do not be surprised to see him in a competitive rig. This I sayeth!!!!!!

Ranger
17th November 2010, 06:35

Ease up soldier!

Let's not forget the champion of pre-season testing, Antonio Pizzonia...

gloomyDAY
17th November 2010, 06:58
Ease up soldier!

Let's not forget the champion of pre-season testing, Antonio Pizzonia...Antonio came close to a win and then had a mechanical failure. Also, he got dropped in 2004 and didn't race again for an entire year, so when he came back he was pretty awful and wrecked into JPM.

I don't think it's a fair comparison to Ricciardo. Different times and I think the kid is going to take over Webber's job by 2012. Red Bull Racing needs another Oz-man in order to stay contentious. :D

RJL25
17th November 2010, 11:12
Yep, young Ricciardo is indeed driving the dominant car of this season...

...but when was Vettel or Webber ever 2 seconds a lap faster then the mclaren or ferrari?

Credit where its due gentleman, the kids fast

RJL25
17th November 2010, 11:15
Also credit to Maldonado, faster then the Lotus and Virgin, something the regular HRT drivers haven't been able to do all season.

Big Ben
17th November 2010, 11:25
whoever is driving the rbr

Sleeper
17th November 2010, 13:37
Also credit to Maldonado, faster then the Lotus and Virgin, something the regular HRT drivers haven't been able to do all season.
Yes but Lotus and Virgin were running no hoppers on day 1 so its hardly a fair comparison.

pino
17th November 2010, 13:40

...but when was Vettel or Webber ever 2 seconds a lap faster then the mclaren or ferrari?

I agree the "Sicilian" kid has talent ;)

RJL25
17th November 2010, 13:54
Yes but Lotus and Virgin were running no hoppers on day 1 so its hardly a fair comparison.

ok well he was also faster then both of the full time drivers where on the weekend, something most of the junior lads wheren't able to do.

i_max2k2
17th November 2010, 23:05

Seems like he finished 1.3s faster then vettel's quali time, but we should not discount that the setup might have been faster then the race and quali, probably bcoz they would learned the circuit better with all the running so far, and he's also the only one driving that car, they wouldn't have made things harder for him.

Ari
18th November 2010, 05:25

Exactly what I was about to post!

Maybe the RBR was a second quicker earlier in the year, but this has not been the case of late, particularly at Abu Dhabi.

Ari
18th November 2010, 05:27

Sicilian?!

Slaps Pino back into line!! ;)

I am evil Homer
18th November 2010, 09:41
IMO Sam Bird has been the most impressive - Ricciardo has been good but he's a 'known' quantity in an F1 test... Bird has never been in an F1 car aside for straight line tests for Williams and in race trim ended up third fastest. Could be one to keep an eye on.

jens
18th November 2010, 10:41
IMO Sam Bird has been the most impressive - Ricciardo has been good but he's a 'known' quantity in an F1 test... Bird has never been in an F1 car aside for straight line tests for Williams and in race trim ended up third fastest. Could be one to keep an eye on.

Sam Bird has probably been one of the biggest surprises to me among autosport drivers this season. Didn't expect anything from him, but he put in a strong rookie season in GP2 and often outraced highly-rated team-mate Jules Bianchi at ART. Now he needs to step up a gear and fight for the GP2 title next year to have a serious shot at an F1 seat.

RJL25
18th November 2010, 12:15
So, the big question is though, which of these drivers will be on the grid next year?

Ricciardo can't find a seat at either Red Bull team, but could he be forced upon Lotus due to the fact they are now using red bull gearbox's?

Anyone else?

Dave B
18th November 2010, 12:57
Ricciardo can't find a seat at either Red Bull team, but could he be forced upon Lotus due to the fact they are now using red bull gearbox's?

Lotus seem keen to retain an experienced lineup to help develop the cars. But as a Friday / reserve driver, hmmm, maybe.

I am evil Homer
18th November 2010, 13:19
Friday driver is pointless if they're not used all the time like DiResta.

I can't see any of them being on the grid next season and in the case of driver's like Bird they could probably do with another season of GP2 under their belts.

Sleeper
18th November 2010, 22:11
Lotus seem keen to retain an experienced lineup to help develop the cars. But as a Friday / reserve driver, hmmm, maybe.

He's already got that role with Red Bull, why step back and do it with Lotus? I'd say non of the drivers that werent already signed are ready for F1 with the exceptions of di Resta and Maldonado, and I cant see Pastor being anything other than a midfielder.

Valve Bounce
19th November 2010, 00:55
At least that's my prediction. But here's the article on his fast lap: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/daniel-ricciardo-tops-timesheets-in-f1-rookie-test-using-mark-webbers-old-car/story-e6frg7mf-1225955997307

I fully admit that the track may have been faster, he had time to get his tyres into optimum traction, etc., etc., etc.

But he is fast, and no doubt pino will adopt him as our mascot. :)
I cannot see him missing out on a seat in F1 next year, with Mateschitz shuffling his deck to get him a good deal. This guy has WDC written all over his face.