PDA

View Full Version : What a season...

UltimateDanGTR
14th November 2010, 16:20
This is the thread to celebrate the 2010 season and everything that has occured in it. Here's my input;

2010 has been a fantastic year. one of, if not the greatest season ever. 5 contenders all season long, and 4 of those fighting for the world championship in the finale.

It's been a great year with Ferrari, Mclaren and Red Bull all producing awesome cars whilst Mercedes had a trying year, Renault evolved well as did Williams, Sauber and Force India. Lotus and Virgin may have never really challenged the midfield, but they kept going in a professional manner ready for 2011.

There were some of the greatest races of recent times this season, Australia, China, Turkey, Canada, Great Britain, Belgium, Brazil and Abu Dhabi being particular highlights for me.

Hamilton, Button, Alonso, Webber have all made mistakes but have provided brilliant entertainment in their fight for the crown. Likewise for Vettel, who ran out deserved champion. Kubica, Kobayashi, Sutil and Rosberg have been my stand out drivers outside of the championship battle this year, particularly the former two.

Well done to Vettel and Red Bull for deserved titles.

Thanks to all the teams and Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault and Cosworth for providing a great year, and also to bridgestone, who sadly leave us after a decade and a half.

This year was the culmination of F1 growing to greater brilliance over the last few seasons, and next year looks to be even better with the prospect of Renault, Mercedes, Lotus and Virgin all being more competitive. Having said that, anyone can next year.

so here's to 2011; Vettel, Webber, Hamilton, Button, Alonso, Massa, Schumacher, Rosberg, Kubica, Kobayashi, Sutil and all the rest going flat out against each other, not forgetting exciting prospect Sergio Perez.

I know I can't wait.

steveaki13
14th November 2010, 16:25
Me neither Can't wait.

Yep great Season.

To many great moments to remember off the hoof, but I have really enjoy 2010 and hope it gets remembered for the right reasons for many years to come.

And hope 2011 will be even better.

christophulus
14th November 2010, 16:55
Overall I'd say it was the best season I can remember. Three teams with a genuine shot at the title!

Next year could be even better though - the teams have to adjust to new tyres, KERS, the loss of the double diffuser (I think?), moveable wings...

Quite what I'm supposed to do for the next 4 months I'm not sure! Roll on Bahrain..

555-04Q2
15th November 2010, 05:36
I think the 2010 season was a great one. Definetely one of the top 3 I have ever watched. I hope it carries on into 2011 with another close affair. Now, if we could just get through the winter break without going crazy :p :

pino
15th November 2010, 06:52
A fantastic season with the best Team and the best/faster driver to win both titles :up: Let's have more of this :D

Mark
15th November 2010, 08:10
A great season made great by great competition. However, I don't agree that it's the best it can be, the whole 1 stop race thing needs to be looked at seriously.

ShiftingGears
15th November 2010, 08:19
A great season made great by great competition. However, I don't agree that it's the best it can be, the whole 1 stop race thing needs to be looked at seriously.

I think the whole mandatory tyre change thing needs to be looked at seriously.

Also, less awful new circuits like Abu Dhabi, Singapore and Valencia would be good! At least the Austin track looks promising.

Excellent 2010.

ArrowsFA1
15th November 2010, 08:28
It was a great season, although hard to say whether it was the best I've seen. Having so many contenders throughout the year was a major factor although Red Bull had the car to dominate. It was perhaps their inability (or unwillingness) to assert that dominance in the WDC that made for such a close season.

UltimateDanGTR
16th November 2010, 16:27
It was a great season, although hard to say whether it was the best I've seen. Having so many contenders throughout the year was a major factor although Red Bull had the car to dominate. It was perhaps their inability (or unwillingness) to assert that dominance in the WDC that made for such a close season.

maybe, but it was a testement to both red bull drivers that they were so close for much of the year. though, when the gap was bigger as we neared seasons end, I was very confident that RBR should back Webber. I was wrong.

kudos to red bull for winning the championship the right way.

V12
16th November 2010, 19:02

I agree - the thing is not only is it artificial, but I don't even consider it to be a purist vs. plain entertainment argument. Monza for one (Button/Alonso battle) would have been a hell of a lot more exciting if running non-stop was an option. I'd like to see the top 10 not forced to start on the tyres they qualified on either, it smacks too much of the old race-fuel qualifying but applied to tyres.

Perhaps a compromise (even though I still wouldn't like it personally) would be saying yes you can run non-stop, but if you change tyres at any point you must run both compounds? Might be a bit awkward especially if someone planning to run non-stop on hard tyres has a first lap puncture and needs to then change to softs, but it's an idea.

It still fills me with horror though to think what would have happened if the people saying we needed TWO mandatory stops after the Bahrain race had gotten their way.

All in all a good year though, the addition of new teams for the first time in ages too helped add to it, and all 3 making the end of the season too, contrary to Bernie's snide predictions earlier in the year.

DexDexter
16th November 2010, 19:12
This was probably the best season ever and the ending was perfect as well - the best man won the title. More of this, please.

Tazio
16th November 2010, 19:37

I have to agree with this. I think it needs a little tweak, however I don't have the answer. :confused:

keysersoze
16th November 2010, 20:27
Great season, though it would be difficult to top Brazil 2008, and Bob Varsha's call on the last lap. Even my wife was screaming at the TV. :D

fandango
16th November 2010, 20:53
My feeling right now about the 2010 season is that it was all about self-belief. Now before you all put two fingers down your throat at my Mr. Motivator-like comment, let me explain.

Vettel: Kept it up to the end, and got to be champion, in spite of quite a few mistakes and mishaps.

Alonso: So many scoffed in June when he said he could still win the WDC, and he very nearly did it.

Button: Many said he was entering the lion's den, pitting himself against Hamilton at McLaren, but he carried it off well.

Hamilton: At the point when the reigning world champion had won two races and led the WDC, things were not looking too hot for the Ham, but he stuck with it. He does what he does well.

Webber: "Not bad for a number 2". Remeber when he was Mr. Unlucky? So close to being the number 1, and that without his team 100% behind him.