PDA

View Full Version : Gossage to IRL?

Alexamateo
12th March 2007, 15:47
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/35913/

Rumors are swirling that the IRL would like to hire Eddie Gossage as their chief operating officer. If they could pull it off, It would be quite a coup for them.

My only actual experience in racing(other than local sprint cars) was in college when I interned one semester(fall 1991) for Charlotte (now Lowe's) Motor Speedway. Eddie was in charge of PR then, and he was always thinking about how to get attention and press.

An example I remember was they had then Busch series drivers Bobby Labonte & Kenny Wallace to do some promos for the race, well the maintenance crew was out with mowers taking care of the grounds, so Eddie said let's get them to race around the quarter mile (the Bowman-Gray replica between the start-finish, and the pits) Well they did to everyone's amusement, and the next day must have been a slow news day, because It made the front page of the paper!, with a headline saying "Gentlemen, Start your Mowers" Eddie was bouncing off the walls talking about "5 column inches", and "You can't buy advertising on the front page." Humpy was pleased to say the least.

Texas has obviously proved a success, having the largest crowds outside of Indy, as well as Nascar etc. Other organizations have noticed with the National Hockey League trying to hire him.

If anyone can bring Open Wheel racing in America back to the front, It's Eddie Gossage, I'm hoping it comes to pass.

PS For the record, Kenny Wallace won the lawn mower race :p : :)

ZzZzZz
12th March 2007, 23:47
That would be a coup. BB is stretched and out of his element with many of the additional duties that have been thrown on his lap. I bet Eddie would have some pretty good advise about how to grow the series, too.

Wilf
15th March 2007, 04:32
Gossage would be a tremendous addition to the league. He sure has come a long way from being told as the pr rep for Miller to ride in coach while Danny Sullivan road in first class on their celebratory trip to NY for the annual Good Morning America appearance of the Indy 500 winner. In spite of the seat selection, Eddie is a first class gentleman who knows how to get things done.

Alexamateo
15th March 2007, 17:12
According to Robin Miller, Gossage is staying put. It would have been nice though.