PDA

View Full Version : Russian carmaker to take over Virgin F1 team

CNR
11th November 2010, 05:56
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/00122716-ed00-11df-9912-00144feab49a.html?ftcamp=rss#axzz14wzqAtID

Virgin Racing, the f1 team backed by UK entrepreneur Sir Richard Branson, is being taken over by a Russian sports car manufacturer, in a move highlighting the country’s interest in the global reach of the sport

wattoroos
11th November 2010, 06:41
thats good for virgin as hopefully they will be better next year with more backing and might jump on to the back of the midfield teams at the start of next year.
Are they going to become a russian team or are they still going to be british as that is where they are from originaly

Ari
11th November 2010, 06:49
Looks like Sir Richard just didn't want to put the bucks in.

Stupid thing is that with the Brawn team he could have had as much exposure as he liked but went cheap again. I could not believe last year they can those briefcase stickers on the car for the whole year instead of full branding. All because Branson wanted to spend stuff all. Crazy.

Will be good to see him out of F1 as he just didn't want to get the job done properly, and that's coming from someone who is a huge fan of his!

Big Ben
11th November 2010, 08:26
I understand this Branson guy is supposed to be in F1 for the marketing purposes... well, he did a hell of a job... now I wonder how cheap is he when it comes to maintaining those planes

Sonic
11th November 2010, 09:17
Will be good to see him out of F1 as he just didn't want to get the job done properly, and that's coming from someone who is a huge fan of his!

Here. Here.

ArrowsFA1
11th November 2010, 09:19
Virgin Racing has secured its long-term future after selling a major shareholding to Russian sportscar manufacturer Marussia Motors. The team will become known as Marussia Virgin Racing...
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88125

ArrowsFA1
11th November 2010, 09:24
Quite a positive news day for Marussia Virgin Racing:

Virgin Racing is delighted to announce a new long term partnership with International Direct Selling Company QNet, commencing with effect from this weekend’s 2010 Formula One season finale in Abu Dhabi.
http://www.virginracing.com/news/219/

Koz
11th November 2010, 10:43
Petrov to Virgin?

Maruissa cars are cosworth powered too it seems.

I wonder what kind of management changes this will bring in. I can see Russian invasion on it's way. :D
I wouldn't be surprised if a guy with the same initials as Petrov gave this new venture a significant backing.

555-04Q2
11th November 2010, 11:00
Petrov to Virgin?

That would make sense :up:

Koz
11th November 2010, 11:07
So wait, who is QNet? They are HK based?
What about Marussia? How does all of this fit together?

http://www.qnet.net/slide_banner/slide_F1_update.jpg

steveaki13
11th November 2010, 16:15
At least this should secure Virgins future for a while and with Lotus OK and Hispania showing signs of fully expecting to be around in 2011 we should hopefully see 24 more competative cars next year.

VkmSpouge
11th November 2010, 19:34
Hmm, the press release doesn't actually say Marussia has taken over Virgin Racing, just that it has bought a significant shareholding in the team. Still it is good news for Virgin gaining extra investment from Marussia and sponsorship from QNet.
On top of that Virgin will have increased their computer simulations capacity, which is pretty important when the entire car is designed purely with CFD http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88129

Stuartf12007
11th November 2010, 20:24
bye Branson dont hurry back please :p

ioan
11th November 2010, 21:31
On top of that Virgin will have increased their computer simulations capacity, which is pretty important when the entire car is designed purely with CFD http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88129

Or that's what Wirth wants the potential investors to believe.
In reality more computing power will only gain them a fraction of the time they are having now at disposal, however their problem isn't the lack of time, it's the lack of knowledge about the F1 car as a whole.

VkmSpouge
11th November 2010, 23:43
Well even if it is a fraction it will be a step in the right direction.

Dave B
12th November 2010, 10:06
Graeme Lowdon has just told 5Live that there'll be another "big announcement" soon, hinted at the driver lineup being confirmed soon, but stated that there's "no pressure" to take a driver of any given nationality.

Make of that what you will.

ArrowsFA1
12th November 2010, 11:00
...their problem isn't the lack of time, it's the lack of knowledge about the F1 car as a whole.
:confused: :crazy:

ioan
12th November 2010, 17:33
:confused: :crazy:

What? The cat ate your tongue?!

V12
12th November 2010, 18:20
I get the impression that Branson wanted/is wanting to do a Benetton, take over a team and gradually reduce the financial/sponsorship input, attracting title sponsors to pay for it while keeping his company's name as the car name.

The difference being that Benetton had built the ex-Toleman team into a solid top four team before attracting the likes of Camel and Mild Seven to pay for the bulk of it.

jens
13th November 2010, 07:40
I get the impression that Branson wanted/is wanting to do a Benetton, take over a team and gradually reduce the financial/sponsorship input, attracting title sponsors to pay for it while keeping his company's name as the car name.

The difference being that Benetton had built the ex-Toleman team into a solid top four team before attracting the likes of Camel and Mild Seven to pay for the bulk of it.

Virgin Racing doesn't give an impression of having Benetton as their direct example. Generally it looks like Branson is simply happy to see the name of his brand being visible through F1 coverage, even if it means trundling at the back without much other purpose.

A strange team - at least the owner leaves an impression that they don't care about having success. Instead Branson is happy to spend as little as possible and that's it. Virgin Racing isn't a racing team even in its remotest sense (at least other teams aim to succeed and take some steps in order to try to achieve it, even if they fail).

DexDexter
13th November 2010, 08:10
Or that's what Wirth wants the potential investors to believe.
In reality more computing power will only gain them a fraction of the time they are having now at disposal, however their problem isn't the lack of time, it's the lack of knowledge about the F1 car as a whole.

I agree. Get the models into a wind tunnel and then one might see some progress.

Retro Formula 1
13th November 2010, 11:01
Richard has done a great job for his brand and for F1.

I find it amazing that F1 fans on here show such disdain when an someone puts money into the business of F1. :confused:

Sure, Sir Richard is no Enzo, Dennis or Frank. He may not be a Stoddard or Sauber but he has created a F1 brand, an image and a foundation that is gradually being built upon. He has also put his moneyinto a team that almost all had turned their sanctimonious backs on and written off as a failure; Brawn.

I applaud him and appreciate what he has done for the Sport.

Sonic
13th November 2010, 11:50
Richard has done a great job for his brand and for F1.

I find it amazing that F1 fans on here show such disdain when an someone puts money into the business of F1. :confused:

Sure, Sir Richard is no Enzo, Dennis or Frank. He may not be a Stoddard or Sauber but he has created a F1 brand, an image and a foundation that is gradually being built upon. He has also put his moneyinto a team that almost all had turned their sanctimonious backs on and written off as a failure; Brawn.

I applaud him and appreciate what he has done for the Sport.

I applaud your passion. I don't agree about Branson, but it's nice to see someone giving the other perspective.