PDA

View Full Version : Skoda UK signs...... Mikkelsen

wildsir
9th November 2010, 11:54
Skoda signs Mikkelsen for 2011
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88088

sal
9th November 2010, 12:12
And people question why we dont have any Brits at the top level....

Can see it from Skoda UK's perspective in one way that they now have a driver capable of winning but think it's a major own goal from a marketing perspective not having a UK driver...

RS
9th November 2010, 12:28
Well Andreas speaks good English....

Didn't see that one coming, but I have no doubt that Andreas is faster than all of the brits who were available. It's good news for the IRC for sure.

I don't suppose Mr Quesnel is going to like this, but then we have seen 'Peugeot Italy' & 'Peugeot Czech Repbulic' employing Bouffier & Ogier!

PLuto
9th November 2010, 12:35
I was also surprised, when I have heard it for first time. But it looks that Skoda UK wants to have a driver who is able to fight for win. And there is no other British driver after Kris and Guy, who should be able...

P.S. Ron, this is the info why I wanted you yesterday ;-)

urabus-denoS2000
9th November 2010, 12:46
Surprising move but very understandable . Anyone close to that deal in my opinion would be Cronin , but he's Irish anyway . And he has an enormous lack of international experience

AndyRAC
9th November 2010, 12:54
Completely agree. The problem is that all our young drivers have very little experience of IRC/ WRC events – whereas Wilks/Meeke were JWRC contenders. The issue is getting all these youngsters out on these events, and getting experience. However, £££££££ is the problem in getting drives. What does it say about the state of British rallying when the UK importer puts a Norwegian in the car - even though it’s a sensible decision.

RS
9th November 2010, 13:04
The UK needs a better ladder below IRC/WRC level.

The fact is that the best British people for the role were Alister McRae or Mark Higgins who are both pretty ancient now. Either could have done a decent job in my opinion (McRae has often been quicker than highly-rated Chris Atkinson in the Proton) but also neither would likely be as quick as Mikkelsen.

PLuto
9th November 2010, 13:38
Completely agree. The problem is that all our young drivers have very little experience of IRC/ WRC events – whereas Wilks/Meeke were JWRC contenders. The issue is getting all these youngsters out on these events, and getting experience. However, £££££££ is the problem in getting drives. What does it say about the state of British rallying when the UK importer puts a Norwegian in the car - even though it’s a sensible decision.

Not always are the biggest problems money, but also their goodwill to make a risk, to go abroad. Lot of drivers should be able to do few starts abroad, but they prefer to stay on home sand and fight on well known roads... Mid-age group of good drivers on international level is missing, it is pity. But future should be better - there is Craig Breen, Keith Cronin, Tom Cave, maybe Harry Hunt...

sal
9th November 2010, 13:40
It's nothing new after all. In the heady days of the Open Championship in the 70s and 80s UK Dealer teams employed Finnish and Swedish drivers as they knew they were quick. I just think it's sad that now we supposedly have the MSA backed driver programme that money and or resources are not really being put into a concerted effort to getting young Brits at the top level. With no experience of the events and no consistent results it's going to be a brave team manager who takes a gamble on unproven talent in todays market. If you leave it up to commercial factors then the teams are obviously going to employ drivers who have the necessary experience. I doubt however we will ever see Skoda Norway or Peugeot Finland ever giving a drive to a Brit in similar circumstances but hey ho...

Pinto
9th November 2010, 13:45
fact is there isnt talent in the uk at the moment,the top uk driver this year is the elder Gyndaf Evans and over the last few years its been Mark Higgins two top class drivers in my oppinion but at the wrong end of the age scale.

in the last two years Irish drivers have invaded the uk and plundered simply because the uk drivers arent up to them,why well i dont know maybe we have a rich vain of talent.

pettersolberg29
9th November 2010, 15:25
Really excited about this news - its been on the cards for quite a while now since Mikkelsen drove the Fabia last year. His pace in France was sensational, and with a mix of best car and best tyres, I think he could win the IRC next year. His tarmac pace is better than people give him credit for and his gravel pace has been clear for years now.

muratgunarslan
9th November 2010, 17:14
i think, andreas has a big budget, so skoda uk prefer andreas for this budget.

i think, he is a good driver, and will win a rally next year, but not can be a irc champion.

bluuford
9th November 2010, 17:28

i think, he is a good driver, and will win a rally next year, but not can be a irc champion.

Well, if he gets factory supported Skoda, then I cannot see the reason why he should not win the IRC title in 2011. Moreover, he is my clear favorite for the title (in case he is not using Hankook tires ;-)).

However, Peugeot has promised various updates for 207 but they promised those updates before but those have not been major steps forward and its sound more like PR story already.

JTGANG
9th November 2010, 17:51
I am seeing that Skoda has some top (at least for IRC) drivers like Mikkelsen,Kopecky,Loix,Hanninen and Peugeot names like Bouffier,Neuville,Andreucci,Wilks......I am wondering if Ford will support
their Fiesta S2000 project with some equal names like above.....i heard
that maybe will sign with Basso ??? can anyone confirm ????

Valets
9th November 2010, 18:23
Hmm, interesting, but, of course, it's great news for Mikkelsen supporters! Now it's possible going for the 1st win next year, but I think not for the title yet..
http://sportacentrs.com/motoru_sports/rallijs/09112010-irc_komanda_skoda_uk_parakstis_ligumu_ar_

pettersolberg29
9th November 2010, 18:49

Andreas no longer has a huge 'personal' budget as his father no longer pays for his rallying - money was the reason Andreas got a Focus in 2007/08, but since then he's been scraping money together and trying to get sponsors.
More likely, sponsors have been awoken to his talent and want to get on board. That's just my personal opinion, but I do not beleive much of the Mikkelsen personal money has gone into securing this deal.

Mirek
9th November 2010, 19:41
Guys, do You know who and when was the first ever Škoda UK driver (called Škoda GB that time)? It was Norwegian John Haugland in 1970' (sometimes co-driven by Martin Holmes). History repeats itself. Maybe John has something to do with that?

Mirek
9th November 2010, 19:42
I am seeing that Skoda has some top (at least for IRC) drivers like Mikkelsen,Kopecky,Loix,Hanninen and Peugeot names like Bouffier,Neuville,Andreucci,Wilks......I am wondering if Ford will support
their Fiesta S2000 project with some equal names like above.....i heard
that maybe will sign with Basso ??? can anyone confirm ????

Hänninen will drive only two or three IRC events. I heard same rumor about Basso, but nothing confirmed.

RS
9th November 2010, 20:00
Guys, do You know who and when was the first ever Škoda UK driver (called Škoda GB that time)? It was Norwegian John Haugland in 1970' (sometimes co-driven by Martin Holmes). History repeats itself. Maybe John has something to do with that?

And another Skoda UK driver; Stig Blomqvist.

RS
9th November 2010, 20:01
Hänninen will drive only two or three IRC events. I heard same rumor about Basso, but nothing confirmed.

Basso in any car for a whole season would be fantastic, even a Punto. Fiesta even better.

Barreis
9th November 2010, 20:37
Why not Brit?!

Andre Oliveira
9th November 2010, 20:52
Basso to develop Fiesta S2000/WRC tarmac skills...

Bruno Magalhães in Peugeot UK???

Tom206wrc
9th November 2010, 21:34
How come Magalhaes with Peugeot UK :confused:

muratgunarslan
9th November 2010, 22:00
basso at ford fiesta. sounds good. i like him, and he drives wonderful on tarmac.

Mirek
9th November 2010, 22:05
Basso to develop Fiesta S2000/WRC tarmac skills...

Bruno Magalhães in Peugeot UK???

Wilks is in Peugeot UK, Magalhaes in Peugeot Portugal.

Andre Oliveira
9th November 2010, 23:06
Wilks is in Peugeot UK, Magalhaes in Peugeot Portugal.
A 2 men team!!! Portugal has poor sponsor money to rally...

Andre Oliveira
9th November 2010, 23:07
How come Magalhaes with Peugeot UK :confused:
???

Luis Pacheco
9th November 2010, 23:13
I´m not seeing a portuguese driver running with the Union Jack on is bonnet car. :)

Francis44
9th November 2010, 23:28
I do not see Magalhães with Peugeot UK, if he does IRC next year, which is not certain, it will be with Peugeot Portugal funds and perhaps there could be some help from Peugeot's HK, but that's about it.

RS
11th November 2010, 14:38
Confirmed: http://skoda.rallye-info.com/article.asp?sid=6&stid=9071

PLuto
11th November 2010, 14:41
Today it was officially announced. I will not write an article, if I havent been sure it is true ;-)

Sulland
11th November 2010, 15:23
http://www.andreasmikkelsen.no/news/skoda-uk-signs-andreas-mikkelsen-for-2011-irc/

Will be very exiting to follow him in a top car/tire combo in IRC, and he will do testing.

Is Skoda UK running the car itself, or are someone else doing it for them ?

RS
11th November 2010, 15:31
http://www.andreasmikkelsen.no/news/skoda-uk-signs-andreas-mikkelsen-for-2011-irc/

Is Skoda UK running the car itself, or are someone else doing it for them ?

Skoda Italy again, starting on this weekend's Rally GB!

alleskids
11th November 2010, 17:15
Skoda Italy again, starting on this weekend's Rally GB!

Mikkelsen was to drive the Barwa Ford Fiesta in SWRC. Will he drive for Skoda UK in Wales rally GB?

RS
11th November 2010, 17:28
Mikkelsen was to drive the Barwa Ford Fiesta in SWRC. Will he drive for Skoda UK in Wales rally GB?

The Skoda UK press release just states: Andreas has already rallied a Fabia S2000 on the Rallye de France (Round 11 of the 2010 FIA World Rally Championship) and will drive the same car, run by Škoda Rally Team Italia, on this weekend’s Wales Rally GB – the final round of the WRC.

I doubt Skoda UK are funding that drive but Skoda were probably keen for him to drive their car rather than Fords.

Mirek
11th November 2010, 17:42
It's not Barwa but Czech FORD National Team he was entered for. So there is very funny situation when he drives Fabia under Ford team :D

Valets
11th November 2010, 22:38
So, now it's official - great news!
''My goal will be in to win the championship in 2011 – no more, no less.'' - this sounds a little bit tricky, but we'll see.. http://sportacentrs.com/motoru_sports/rallijs/11112010-talantigais_mikelsens_oficiali_pievienoja

Pepabiker
17th November 2010, 22:33
Video from testing in Milovice (Czech republic)

http://rallyzone.autoroad.cz/rally-irc/32510-video-mikkelsen-testuje-pred-monte-skodu-fabia-s2000/#p1036

Sulland
13th January 2011, 19:01
Is more suitable here:
Must say I am impressed with his new blond back up Co-Driver that Skoda UK got him !!!

Mikkelsen and Skoda UK revealing the 2011 campaign: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Andreas-Mikkelsen-Offical-page/185806838105244

[url]http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=no&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=no&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vg.no%2Fsport%2Fmotor%2Fartikke l.php%3Fartid%3D10013343%23

RS
10th December 2011, 21:34
Andreas appeared on UK motoring show "5th Gear" last night, driving a Fabia RS in a navigational rally.

It can be watched here (not sure if this will work outside of the UK): http://fwd.channel5.com/fifth-gear/videos/features/night-rally-with-andreas-mikkelsen

Hartusvuori
11th December 2011, 03:00
It can be watched here (not sure if this will work outside of the UK): 5FWD - Night Rally with Andreas Mikkelsen video from Fifth Gear (http://fwd.channel5.com/fifth-gear/videos/features/night-rally-with-andreas-mikkelsen)

Oh it smells all the way up here just well....