PDA

View Full Version : Donkey of the Race

steveaki13
7th November 2010, 18:05
Felipe Massa had a tough time early on and then hit everything that moved.

Can't think of others just yet.

edv
7th November 2010, 18:11
Rosberg's tire manager in the pit stall is certainly a candidate.

N4D13
7th November 2010, 18:12
I don't think that Massa drove a bad race - it's just that he had horrible luck with his pitstop. Then he was more aggressive than he should have been, but nothing really serious.

I would say Liuzzi - 23 finishers (that's counting di Grassi, who was nine laps down) and a guy who crashed into a wall. I think the award should be only his.

AndyL
7th November 2010, 18:17

I'd agree with that. Colliding with a Torro Rosso whilst he was having the blue flags waved at him was a particularly low point.

Quite a few backmarkers were too concerned with their own races to observe the blue flags as promptly as they should today. I think Heidfeld was rather unlucky to be the only one actually penalised for it.

steveaki13
7th November 2010, 18:24
I think Heidfeld was rather unlucky to be the only one actually penalised for it.

I agree about 5 cars were holding up Nico and Michael in the last 10 laps. Felipe actually overtook Rosberg if you watch it, how they can decided Heidfeld was the only one at fault.

christophulus
7th November 2010, 18:28
Liuzzi had a pretty terrible weekend all round, holding up Sutil in qualifying and crashing into a wall all by himself, so he gets my vote.

Dave B
7th November 2010, 18:35
Massa demonstrated exactly why he won't be missed next year ;)

steveaki13
7th November 2010, 18:36
Liuzzi as well but at least he gave us an exciting finish.

fandango
7th November 2010, 19:13
Horner. He can enjoy his Constructor's Champ Crown, but giving a team like Ferrari and a driver like Alonso such a present could come back and bite him. Badly.

donKey jote
7th November 2010, 19:20
Massa demonstrated exactly why he won't be missed next year ;)

who fed you that little snippet, Carlmetro's dad ? :p

Sonic
7th November 2010, 19:32
Rosberg's tire manager in the pit stall is certainly a candidate.

Plus one.

N. Jones
7th November 2010, 21:17

Can't think of others just yet.

Liuzzi. I don't think we see him in F1 next season.

gloomyDAY
7th November 2010, 21:22
Horner. He can enjoy his Constructor's Champ Crown, but giving a team like Ferrari and a driver like Alonso such a present could come back and bite him. Badly.Bingo! Red Bull's only shot at glory was for Vettel to let Webber slip by before the caution flag. That chance got away and now Alonso will win the title. Red Bull could have had a chance at winning both titles, but now they're screwed. Terrible management, terrible.

Neil J
7th November 2010, 21:52
Hamilton. What`s he peshing about at these days?

keysersoze
7th November 2010, 22:19
Dishonorable mention to my boy Petrov, who at the start went from 10th to 23rd (last) in two corners. :(

truefan72
7th November 2010, 22:36
Massa - for driver

Bingo! Red Bull's only shot at glory was for Vettel to let Webber slip by before the caution flag. That chance got away and now Alonso will win the title. Red Bull could have had a chance at winning both titles, but now they're screwed. Terrible management, terrible.

completely agree.

And this is why Webber will leave the team.
He has simply gotten ZERO assistance from the team. I understand Vettel's ambitions, but the situation called for Webber to get ahead of him. Anyway. I guess from a pure racing stance its fine, since technically Vettel is still in the fight, and it is up to Webber to pass him, but from a practical position, it might have been wise to let Webber through.

Duchess
7th November 2010, 23:28
Massa, for many many reasons. Though to be fair I think that Jaime bumped into him the first time rather than the other way around. Still, for a home race it was far from inspiring.

wedge
8th November 2010, 00:05
Liuzzi

Don't understand the fuss over Massa. Win some and you lose some (positions) but on the whole it was was good aggressive driving.

Ari
8th November 2010, 02:12
Marko and RBR.

Not Horner, he's a puppet and for the most part a mate of Marks.

Big Ben
8th November 2010, 07:06
Horner. He can enjoy his Constructor's Champ Crown, but giving a team like Ferrari and a driver like Alonso such a present could come back and bite him. Badly.

let's not hurry... he should be saved to for the donkey of the season award or an entire carrer award.... though it's quite hard to decide who's to blame in that team.. Horner is just a puppet... Marko is just a pig with too much influence.... so who's running this team?

as for this race... perhaps the donkey should be Liuzzi

wattoroos
8th November 2010, 07:51
i reckon kobayashi would have to be up there, i lost count of how many times he locked up at the first corner.

But liuzzi i agree, there was no one presurring him and he just binned it. surely di resta will have his seat next year

Hawkmoon
8th November 2010, 12:42
I don't think Massa did much wrong. He was at the back through no fault of his own and nothing to lose by having a go. The Toro Rossos were giving everybody a hard time whether they were being lapped or passed.

I'll give it to Hamilton for still being unable to look after a set of tyres 4 years into his career. He killed his tyres in Brazil just as he did in Korea. Alonso was as fast as if not faster Hamilton at the end despite the fact that Hamilton had fresh rubber and Alonso had done 2/3rds of a race on his tyres.

wedge
8th November 2010, 13:34
I'll give it to Hamilton for still being unable to look after a set of tyres 4 years into his career. He killed his tyres in Brazil just as he did in Korea. Alonso was as fast as if not faster Hamilton at the end despite the fact that Hamilton had fresh rubber and Alonso had done 2/3rds of a race on his tyres.

WTF

McLaren was junk.

Junk with tyres and junk on a green Interlagos cf. Hamilton winning in Canada and still had life in his tyres to spank his Button at the end.

They had the 3rd best car and Hamilton finished 4th despite pitting twice.

Wilderness
8th November 2010, 14:57
Liuzzi, Brazil as a venue, RBR's management "strategy" and the FIA's Safety Car rules. Get all the lapped cars out the the way.

Nikki Katz
8th November 2010, 18:13
Massa was maybe not the worst driver in the race, but certainly the most disappointing. The collision while the blue flags were out was about the worst bit.

ioan
8th November 2010, 21:26
I agree about 5 cars were holding up Nico and Michael in the last 10 laps. Felipe actually overtook Rosberg if you watch it, how they can decided Heidfeld was the only one at fault.

Just for the record backmarkers are allowed to un-lap themselves if faster than the other drivers.
There are numerous examples in the history of F1.

ioan
8th November 2010, 21:29
The Toro Rossos were giving everybody a hard time whether they were being lapped or passed.

And the STR boys are the donkeys of the race for bumping into anyone trying to overtake them, maybe they should move to destruction derby and let some proper racers have a go at F1, I am sure there are at least 2 drivers out there who are way better than these two muppets.

donKey jote
8th November 2010, 21:34
Newsflash: Massa to STR 2011, to replace the existing muppets with a better one. :laugh:

ioan
8th November 2010, 21:42
Newsflash: Massa to STR 2011, to replace the existing muppets with a better one. :laugh:

He'd still be better than the two old ones altogether.
Not to mention that he would have a team owner that appreciates fair racing! :p

donKey jote
8th November 2010, 21:47
He'd still be better than the two old ones altogether.
Not to mention that he would have a team owner that appreciates fair racing! :p
like when he was at Sauber eh? :)

ioan
8th November 2010, 21:57
like when he was at Sauber eh? :)

Yep, beating a WDC fair and square!

donKey jote
8th November 2010, 22:07
Not much of a WDC that was though, he was handed his single WDC on a platter by "the driver formerly known as the best"... surely doesn't really count does it? ;) :p

ioan
8th November 2010, 22:14
Not much of a WDC that was though, he was handed his single WDC on a platter by "the driver formerly known as the best"... surely doesn't really count does it? ;) :p

Let me think about it! ;)

PS: Now that I thought about it not many drivers out there who did beat 2 WDC's as team mates. :D

donKey jote
8th November 2010, 22:23
beat as in fair and square?
nope, can't see what you're getting at... by how many points again? :p :D

ioan
8th November 2010, 22:29
beat as in fair and square?
nope, can't see what you're getting at... by how many points again? :p :D

Villeneuve by 2 points.
Raikkonen by a few more.

That's 2 of them, both WDCs before the beating! ;)

donKey jote
8th November 2010, 22:35
:up: fair enough...

kimi who? ;) :p

ioan
8th November 2010, 22:47
:up: fair enough...

kimi who? ;) :p

You know, the coolest guy in F1, even when his KERS set the car on fire! The ice cream man! ;)

PS: This thread looks like a dialog now!

steveaki13
8th November 2010, 23:16
Just for the record backmarkers are allowed to un-lap themselves if faster than the other drivers.
There are numerous examples in the history of F1.

Absolutly, but as soon as Massa overtook Rosberg he was held up behind the Toro Rosso (i think it was), and would have needed to get out of the way again.

My only point was that Heidfeld was a little unlucky to be the only one penalized.

He may well have deserved it, but so maybe did a few others out there. In these situations I think its either penalize everyone who holds up a leader or for me the more sensible decision would be to understand that in that pack of 10 odd cars you may easily loose track of where you are for a few corners and for the stewards to show a little more common sense.

Or get the team to point out to their driver the situation and that a penalty will follow if he doesn't move over asap
This may have been done, but it just seems unlikley that no other of those 6+ cars held up a leader more than he should have.

Duchess
9th November 2010, 05:04
For all those trashing Liuzzi's race, apparently his crash was a result of a mechanical failure: http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/246899/video-liuzzi-crash-due-to-mechanical-failure/

A mechanical issue, as opposed to driver error, was the cause of Vitantonio Liuzzi’s sizable accident in Sunday’s Brazilian Grand Prix, with the Italian having lost control just metres from the scene of his 2009 qualifying incident.
“Unfortunately, I had been struggling with the brakes all race and then going into the second corner something on the car let go and I couldn't turn in."