PDA

View Full Version : Classic cars

LotusElise
8th December 2006, 16:47
Noticed a fair bit of enthusiasm for the classics in the Favourite Car thread - does anyone here own/run classics?
My 1965 Wolseley Hornet is currently off-road undergoing a refit, but I've got some pictures of it that I'll try and post.

Daniel
8th December 2006, 16:59
Noticed a fair bit of enthusiasm for the classics in the Favourite Car thread - does anyone here own/run classics?
My 1965 Wolseley Hornet is currently off-road undergoing a refit, but I've got some pictures of it that I'll try and post.
I used to own a 1977 Peugeot 504 and before that a 1979 Fiat 131. Hardly classics but compared to modern cars they are :p

I wouldn't mind owning a Peugeot 504 Coupe or an Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT. But being that they're French/Italian cars from the 60's/70's and I live near the sea and have no garage I think it's not going to happen anytime soon because I don't want to wreck a perfectly good car :) That and I don't have the money! :p

I'm also of the opinion that older cars should be cared for and still driven rather than sitting in a garage and going out a couple of times a year.

Here's a picture of my 504 :)

http://members.iinet.net.au/~fenix1983/Files/504.JPG

Daniel
8th December 2006, 17:14
BTW.... are you the sort of person who can tell what year a car was made in by the door handles or a particular piece of trim? I'm a little like that. Pretty sad really! :D

grassrootsracer
8th December 2006, 17:16
My 1973 Datsun 240Z, of course. Although, I am in the process of modernizing it somewhat. To answer your question Daniel, on some cars, yes. Unless it's undergoing work which requires it to sit for a spell, I believe a classic car should be driven often.

Daniel
8th December 2006, 17:18
My Datsun, of course. Although, I am in the process of modernizing it somewhat.
Noooooooooooo!

What do you mean when you say modernising though?

schmenke
8th December 2006, 17:25
Noooooooooooo!

What do you mean when you say modernising though?

In other words, he's pimping his ride :p :

trumperZ06
8th December 2006, 17:34
:D We run a 1968 Corvette in HSR, Historic Sportscar Racing.This is "wheel to wheel"... but most guys will protect their cars...so not a lot of fender bending.

;) One race on th Calendar is the "Walter Mitty"... well known here in the States. It's run at my home track, Road Atlanta. They also run the Petitt Le Mans there.

trumperZ06
8th December 2006, 17:35
;) Sorriieee... double post.

grassrootsracer
8th December 2006, 17:38
In short, I'm going through and modernising/modifying almost everything. I'm leaving alone all the window glass, doors, and hatch. Exterior modifications are very subtle, as I love the original body lines. I'm dropping in an L28ET and contemplating having it built, overbored, and stroked to between 3.0 and 3.2 liters with an all new turbo system. EFI is a MegasquirtnSpark DIY system with Redline-Weber hardware. Drivetrain (transmission, driveshaft, differential, axles, wheels, and tires) will modified to cope with the expected power and torque levels, of course. Redone suspension with coilovers, urethane, tubular a-arms. Wilwood big brake kit and rears converted to discs. There is the expected rust to be dealt with (I was lucky enough to find a "Flintstones special") and a new paint job along the way (black or red). Interior will be more in line with modern styling with added safety equipment, but will in no way resemble that "boy racer" garbage. Did I mention a working A/C system? And all new wiring.

I'd like this to be a daily driver (if it is manageable), but if not will use this for autocross and track days.

I know you're only kidding, schmenke, but I am not pimping it out in any way. I care nothing for automobiles of that ilk. I understand the desire by some to leave this car in its original condition, but being a constant tinkerer and student of engineering, I've found things I would like to improve. If this were something with more historic value, I'd keep it stock.

The Walter Mitty is a great event (more than just a race by far), especially as it happens to be at my "home" track as well.

Daniel
8th December 2006, 17:39
In other words, he's pimping his ride :p :
You should see Pimp My Ride International. They pimped a Trabant and it actually looked better which I guess is not very hard!

trumperZ06
8th December 2006, 17:50
In short, I'm going through and modernising/modifying almost everything. I'm leaving alone all the window glass, doors, and hatch. Exterior modifications are very subtle, as I love the original body lines. I'm dropping in an L28ET and contemplating having it built, overbored, and stroked to between 3.0 and 3.2 liters with an all new turbo system. EFI is a MegasquirtnSpark DIY system with Redline-Weber hardware. Drivetrain (transmission, driveshaft, differential, axles, wheels, and tires) will modified to cope with the expected power and torque levels, of course. Redone suspension with coilovers, urethane, tubular a-arms. Wilwood big brake kit and rears converted to discs. There is the expected rust to be dealt with (I was lucky enough to find a "Flintstones special") and a new paint job along the way (black or red). Interior will be more in line with modern styling with added safety equipment, but will in no way resemble that "boy racer" garbage. Did I mention a working A/C system? And all new wiring.

I'd like this to be a daily driver (if it is manageable), but if not will use this for autocross and track days.

I know you're only kidding, schmenke, but I am not pimping it out in any way. I care nothing for automobiles of that ilk. I understand the desire by some to leave this car in its original condition, but being a constant tinkerer and student of engineering, I've found things I would like to improve. If this were something with more historic value, I'd keep it stock.

The Walter Mitty is a great event (more than just a race by far), especially as it happens to be at my "home" track as well.

;) Some of the guys are dropping a Chevy... Mouse engine, into this vintage sportscar. Depending on the HP. a Chevy crate engine runs ~ $3500.00. Makes a nice car for D E Events.

:D These cars can be ... "Wicked Fast", all depends on the driver.

:s mokin:

Kneeslider
8th December 2006, 18:15
I have been playing around with a '74 TR6 for the last few years, and finally got it back on the road in September. I bought it as a wreck, but with a sound body tub, wings and chassis, and then spent the next 3 years searching out parts, and making it run properly. I did everything myself, except for the paintwork. Well I did have a go at painting the bootlid, and it looked quite good, but painted my garage blue in the process!

grassrootsracer
8th December 2006, 18:19
I've read about using a Chevy small block engine, and am well aware that this is an affordable and relatively easy method to crank out the power and torque. However, I have an affinity for the inline six engine, and for this project, I'd like to keep the engine "within the family." This limits my choices to one of Datsun's L-series engines (either a natural aspirated L28 or a turbo L28ET from a 280ZX) or Nissan's RB-series from the Skyline.

Daniel
8th December 2006, 18:38

Fair enough. I was worried you were "pimping" it.