PDA

View Full Version : Matthew Wilson

JAM
5th December 2006, 15:26
Well, here i am again in this new home talking about an old subject :)

As i was one of the bigger critics of Matthew Wilson in WRC, now that the year is ended is a good ocasion to look at the things clearly and with facts.

I said many times that Matthew wouldn't do nothing special this year and he didn't. I expected by the middle of the year to give time, and also expectd by Wales to see how the boy would run on his home event. Nothing special happened... as I predictd.

And why this happened? Because Matthew could be a good driver, but not one of the best. If he would be one of the best ones he already would had done a rally that would catched our attention, but that really didn't happened. He could be WRC champion in the future, but with a big help from the staff that put him on WRC with 19 years... If i made me understand.

This post is specially dedicated to the ones that at the beggining of the year argued that Matthew would surprise all the world and would be WRC champion in one of the coming years. At the moment not a special driver, but an average driver.

Hope that someone learn the lesson, never expect neither promote more than one can handle, because that could be dangereous the someone's image. Hope Matthew make a good carrer and hope that some of his fundamentalist fans start to put the feet on the ground before talking. The good sense always was a virtue, but no acessible to everybody. :)

Daniel
5th December 2006, 15:38
I agree. At the moment he doesn't seem like the next champion. But at least he's not constantly putting the car off the road like some drivers do in their learning years.

The bottom line is that Matthew Wilson didn't kill anyone's babies to get into the WRC. If his father wants to spend money then I think it's good. Means more jobs for mechanics and such.

ZequeArgentina
5th December 2006, 15:49
I guess everything has been said about Matthew, he has not ipressed, he has a good opportunity, he is in a long term prospect (5 years), he will have the opportunity once again next year.

It is not worthy to start discussing once again if he deserves this new opportunity more than other, he simple has it.

What we can talk, is what should we expect of him for 2007.
Being second complete year, some top 5 times sporadically shoudl be welcome, as well as consistency in his times.

Integrale
5th December 2006, 15:52
It's better to go fast and wreck some cars sometimes in the learning years than to finish every event in nineth position, in my opinion. You only get to know your limits when you cross them.

Daniel
5th December 2006, 15:57
It's better to go fast and wreck some cars sometimes in the learning years than to finish every event in nineth position, in my opinion. You only get to know your limits when you cross them.
Easier to make a reliable driver faster than a fast driver reliable.

kabouter
5th December 2006, 16:04

Not to mention it's a lot cheaper for the person who's paying the bills...

DonJippo
5th December 2006, 16:10

Some might disagree with that but never the less ZequeArgentina is right let's talk about what should we expect of him for 2007.

kabouter
5th December 2006, 16:25
With a Focus WRC 06 he should be able to post regular top 10 times by the end of the year from the start of an event. I don't think there'll be more than a few points finishes at best, in rallies with a high attrition rate. If his father still has got faith in Matthew's abilities by then, in 2008 should be the big breakthrough if there's ever going to be a breakthrough...

MJW
5th December 2006, 16:28
Mathew is the new Anthony Warmbold. Of the Brits Kris Meeke and Guy Wilks are far more deserving of a WRC drive. Mikkelsson set some good stage times on WRGB before visiting the scenery but Mads Ostberg was the most impressive of the newcomers in my opinion. Jari Matti was always class.

kabouter
5th December 2006, 16:40
I just happen to be a fan of Antony Warmbold - always spectacular to watch and his stage times were nothing to be ashamed of in his third year. But I agree Matthew Wilson hasn't shown yet he can achieve a better level of performance than Antony. Jari-Matti has been showing class for a while now - if his development continues he'll be fighting for WRC wins before long.

Lousada
5th December 2006, 16:57
We have a new forum and this is what we first talk about? :p :

On the topic: it took Jenson Button 6 years or so to win his first race. It might be the same for Wilson? They are both English after all :o

sxis
5th December 2006, 17:21
jam first of all learn English 2nd why be so aggressive do you really have to be so insulting to people that support Matt .and what is your record in the wrc. if Matt's dad chooses to support him that's his choice & nothing to do with you.

Tom206wrc
5th December 2006, 17:21
To me, Wilslow even doesn't have material(I mean intellectual/psycological material, not the car) to become a single "good driver"... :mark:

But everyone know what I think about him in the former forum anyway... :rolleyes:

I still wait to see him in 2007 though...

Daniel
5th December 2006, 17:29
jam first of all learn English 2nd why be so aggressive do you really have to be so insulting to people that support Matt .and what is your record in the wrc. if Matt's dad chooses to support him that's his choice & nothing to do with you.

Seriously. When your spanish/portuguese is as good as his then you can lecture him on perfect English............. :rolleyes:
He wasn't even bashing him. Just being realistic.

sxis
5th December 2006, 17:30
i take it you know him well then!

Daniel
5th December 2006, 17:34
Better than you?

DonJippo
5th December 2006, 17:48
i take it you know him well then!

You might be more familiar to us than many think... :rolleyes:

BDunnell
5th December 2006, 18:04
Who can really say yet? The next two years are rather more important. It is a shame that some of the other young British drivers don't have a similar chance, but there's nothing that can be done about that.

My only slight concern is that by giving the seat to Wilson, his father and Ford are passing up on what could be better opportunities to develop a future British world champion, or at least a top-line British driver — something the sport really needs in the UK at the moment. But time will tell.

Simmi
5th December 2006, 18:11
Who can really say yet? The next two years are rather more important. It is a shame that some of the other young British drivers don't have a similar chance, but there's nothing that can be done about that.

My only slight concern is that by giving the seat to Wilson, his father and Ford are passing up on what could be better opportunities to develop a future British world champion, or at least a top-line British driver — something the sport really needs in the UK at the moment. But time will tell.

Well this time last year if you asked most people who they thought was the best bet for a future British world champion, wouldn't they have said Matt Wilson?

Obviously this year hasn't turned out quite the way it was planned but thats the luxury of a three year plan.

Daniel
5th December 2006, 18:13

I rather suspect the seat wouldn't have existed if Matthew was not there to drive the car.

BDunnell
5th December 2006, 18:23
Well this time last year if you asked most people who they thought was the best bet for a future British world champion, wouldn't they have said Matt Wilson?

I wouldn't have.

BDunnell
5th December 2006, 18:23
I rather suspect the seat wouldn't have existed if Matthew was not there to drive the car.

I would agree.

Tomi
5th December 2006, 18:49
Any news about what Meeke and Wilks will do? Wonder how many years they will still wait until starting in WRC.

Simmi
5th December 2006, 18:51
Any news about what Meeke and Wilks will do? Wonder how many years they will still wait until starting in WRC.

I think its quite clear it's do or die now for those guys, the JWRC has nothing more to offer them.

noel157
5th December 2006, 20:36

Before you complain about somebody learning and writing English, do me a favour and look at your keyboard. There's a little button 2nd up from the left. It's got a big arrow on it. It's called the shift key. If you press that at the appropiate time you'll get a capital letter. These are used at the start of every sentence and some other places as well. Capiche?
And if you look real hard there's buttons for comma and question marks too.

Back to topic, I think Wilson has to start being more competitive in 07 (not winning, just more competitive) or there'll be few that will have any respect for him or his father. I hope he can get it together in 07.

m.lowe
5th December 2006, 23:25
I have never read so much crap about people slagging Matthew off.

So what if the guy hasn't shone through yet? so what if hes not gonna be the next top Brit, the guy is enjoying and learning his rally career and its not costing him as hes lucky to have sponsors that will back him and sponsorship.

When he was winning in T-Cars he was accused of cheating beacuse of who he was and the good level of car he had.

Now hes getting slagged off because hes not up there.

Just because hes in an 06 Focus dosnt mean hes going to wipe the floor, just look at Eugene Donnelly in his 99 spec Corolla in Ireland beating the Subar S11's and Focus 05 cars they still have to be driven.

For gods sake give the guy a break hes only young and if he dosnt make it is it that big a deal.
Is it your money hes spending?

Brother John
6th December 2006, 09:46
If we remain here this way busy about Matthew, we need a forum update before MC 07 starts.

Mauri A
6th December 2006, 11:15
If we remain here this way busy about Matthew, we need a forum update before MC 07 starts.
Agreed!

JAM
6th December 2006, 15:36
I opened this thread only to prove that some of my comments at the beggining of the year were correct and were bashed by some Wilson fans without reason, and to prove that some fundamentalists lost his batle.

At that time i said that Wilson was on this team only because his father calls Malcon Wilson, and not because their skills deserved. A lot of people call me jealous at the time and other things worst. During the year the "Wilsonmania" started to decrease and the comments about the lack of results started to appear here. Now i see a lot of people write the same that i wrote at the beggining of the year.

If the brits blame the lack of names on WRC, then ask M Sport and Stobbart to support some good and talented as a patriotic act.

And another thing: Do you really believe that without Matthew Wilson this M2 Team wouldn't existed? And wich WRC cars Companc, Katajamaki and Latvala would drive? This structure would existed even without Wilson jr., maybe with another name but still would existed. Money talks my friends and rent WRC cars is very lucrative :D

And to end this... my english is really bad?

Daniel
6th December 2006, 15:54
And to end this... my english is really bad?

Far better than my Portuguese ;)

LotusElise
6th December 2006, 18:24
JAM, I can understand you fine. And where would forums be without good debates, anyway?
Matthew has been a bit disappointing this year, it's true. However, he has been consistent and has not destroyed cars every other rally. He has also been on about the same level as most of his team-mates, Latvala on RallyGB excluded.
If he can find a bit more speed, he will do well next year. Whether he will or not is another question.

m.lowe
6th December 2006, 18:43
The deal with Stobarts goes back to the BRC when WR cars where allowed.
Stobarts wanted Some Focus WR cars and Malcolm gave them a deal where it cost them less to hire the cars as they provided sponsorship but part of it was that Matthew would drive a car to gain experience and get him in there in the BRC

Whos father wouldnt do that for their sons/daughters if they where able to do so

The deal with Stobart VK sport is i'm sure is to give the companies as much exposure as they can.

Malcolms father did exactly the same for him when his business sponsored his mk1's which Ford then loaned him one of his first MK2's

sxis
6th December 2006, 19:05
Before you complain about somebody learning and writing English, do me a favour and look at your keyboard. There's a little button 2nd up from the left. It's got a big arrow on it. It's called the shift key. If you press that at the appropiate time you'll get a capital letter. These are used at the start of every sentence and some other places as well. Capiche?
And if you look real hard there's buttons for comma and question marks too.

Back to topic, I think Wilson has to start being more competitive in 07 (not winning, just more competitive) or there'll be few that will have any respect for him or his father. I hope he can get it together in 07.

i am not a typist noel maybe you have time i dont caphiche !

Daniel
6th December 2006, 19:24
i am not a typist noel maybe you have time i dont caphiche !
Then don't be anal about other people's English especially when it's not their first language.

Err..... capiche? :rolleyes:

Simmi
6th December 2006, 19:35
There never was any "Wilsonmania" was there?

Everything else you say JAM I pretty much agree with he hasn't performed this year in terms of points finishes, but people didn't expect him to set the world alight and so he hasn't let anyone down. To me there hasn't been anything but negative attention on him the whole season which is why it just becomes a bit tedious.

Wasn't a good moment to spell capiche wrong either was it lol!

JAM
6th December 2006, 20:02
There never was any "Wilsonmania" was there?

Everything else you say JAM I pretty much agree with he hasn't performed this year in terms of points finishes, but people didn't expect him to set the world alight and so he hasn't let anyone down. To me there hasn't been anything but negative attention on him the whole season which is why it just becomes a bit tedious.

Wasn't a good moment to spell capiche wrong either was it lol!

The "Wilsonmania"" was at the beggining of the year, whem some members wrote were a loty of positive things and promises about Matthew. For what i knew (not much in fact) i had the idea that he wasn't so fast as some membres usually said, but as my point of view was not well accepted between some of them, i shuted down my speach. In fact Matthew made the expected season, not shining but an average season acordding to the conditions that he had.

The bad attention come from the attention that the team asked to him, as some forum members. I criticized that, but i was the black shhep... If you have much attention that's because you are good. If you are good the big attention help you, if you are not so good the big attention don't help you and still make some damages on your image.

Mikkelsen had two offs in wales, but the guy really impressed me... with an "old" 04 Focus. I expected this perfomance for what had seen in the last year.

kabouter
6th December 2006, 20:39
Just some facts, make of them what you will:

Age of drivers winning their first WRC event in the past five years
Sébastien Loeb (Deutschland 2002) 28
Petter Solberg (GB 2002) 27 (28th birthday next day)
Markko Märtin (Acropolis 2003) 27
François Duval (Australia 2005) 24 (25th birthday one week later)
Mikko Hirvonen (Australia 2006) 26

This shows that not many drivers have achieved that first WRC win recently, and that drivers like Dani Sordo (23), Jari-Matti Latvala (21) and Matthew Wilson (19) still should be allowed plenty of time to grow - they're still babies in rallying terms!

J4MIE
6th December 2006, 21:25
Matt still needs time and experience to improve, but he does need to show an improvement in speed for next year. He also has to try to finish more events without using super-rally, he has been guilty of "retiring" quite a lot, usually through hitting things and breaking wheels/suspension etc.

Tomski
6th December 2006, 21:34
Looking at the ages of the drivers at their first win, I can't help but ask myself would Matt have been better off having another year or so in the BRC, or maybe time in the JWRC or PCWC first?

Is going striaght into the WRC,driving a WRC a step too far too soon?

Peugeot206WRC
6th December 2006, 21:44
Matt still needs time and experience to improve, but he does need to show an improvement in speed for next year. He also has to try to finish more events without using super-rally, he has been guilty of "retiring" quite a lot, usually through hitting things and breaking wheels/suspension etc.

Thats not what fans of him writing...
Also I see him often get engine stalls, maybe because he braking so hard and killing the engine because he think it goes so fast.

He was the absolutely slowest wrc driver this year, full season and 1 point.
Im not saying he should go faster then Latvala, but please, get beaten on some stages by Mikkelsen and Ostberg in his home event with the better car?
Now they didnt get a better final time then him, but I think theyre faster and thats bad if you look at Slowsons "cheap" experience.

Tomi
6th December 2006, 21:47
Looking at the ages of the drivers at their first win, I can't help but ask myself would Matt have been better off having another year or so in the BRC, or maybe time in the JWRC or PCWC first?

Is going striaght into the WRC,driving a WRC a step too far too soon?

I think its good if he drives a WRC right from the start, everyone would do the same if they had a chance, also he has no fear to get the boot even he preform like he does now.
It does not worry me much that he is slow, bur even that he is slow he crashes a lot, not so good combination.

Tomski
6th December 2006, 21:51
I'm sure in the past I heard it quoted something on the lines of:

"If you've got the raw speed, you can learn to control it with experience, but you can't get more speed with experience"

Basically you've either got it or you haven't!

witto6
10th December 2006, 22:53
He won a local event this weekend gone in Cumbria, but he had to in that car (06) with most of the opposition just club level.

Sulland
19th January 2010, 22:09
:p

Since everyone seems to want to talk about Wilson Jr, lets wake up his old thread !!

Langdale Forest
19th January 2010, 22:13
Wilson's driving is still http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/funny-pictures-bird-cat-cage.jpg

serial jeff
19th January 2010, 23:52
Wilson's driving is still epic fail

This Wilson-bashing has gotten very old. So what if he isnt the fastest driver? I don't understand why anyone would think that he should stop driving in the WRC... he may not be world champion material (or even win a rally) but he's still a good driver.

You don't need to win to compete, have fun, and give the spectators a show. Why are people hating on Matt Wilson for getting a drive in the WRC? At least Wilson is clearly quicker than Al-Qassimi, yet nobody has a problem with him. :rolleyes:

N.O.T
20th January 2010, 07:18
You don't need to win to compete, have fun, and give the spectators a show. :rolleyes:

There are village events for that...

Langdale Forest
20th January 2010, 08:14
This Wilson-bashing has gotten very old. So what if he isnt the fastest driver? I don't understand why anyone would think that he should stop driving in the WRC... he may not be world champion material (or even win a rally) but he's still a good driver.

You don't need to win to compete, have fun, and give the spectators a show. Why are people hating on Matt Wilson for getting a drive in the WRC? At least Wilson is clearly quicker than Al-Qassimi, yet nobody has a problem with him. :rolleyes:

That's because almost everybody has forgotten about him, that's why. :p

EavesFan09
20th January 2010, 11:46

Quite right. OK last season he was always secod best to Latvala, Hiroven, Sordo and Loeb (as I see from records cortesey of juwra.com), but he was for me, looking at those records, consistent. Nearly always in the top 10 finishers at the end of rallies. Only Portugal and Acropolis did he not. And 7th is a massive improvement on past final classifications.

He will never do anything big because he will never run anything big enough to beat Citroen or run stronger than Loeb. But as a driver he does well I think.

noel157
20th January 2010, 12:58
Quite right. OK last season he was always secod best to Latvala, Hiroven, Sordo and Loeb (as I see from records cortesey of juwra.com), but he was for me, looking at those records, consistent. Nearly always in the top 10 finishers at the end of rallies. Only Portugal and Acropolis did he not. And 7th is a massive improvement on past final classifications.

He will never do anything big because he will never run anything big enough to beat Citroen or run stronger than Loeb. But as a driver he does well I think.

We were at least 4/5 cars down last season. So I suppose 7th is better than 12th............ So you're saying if he was in a car identical to Loeb or Hirvonen he would be on the podium? I think not.
But as you say he is consistent...........
Sorry, he just ain't very good.

Simmi
20th January 2010, 14:20
Just no glimpses of anything approaching good pace which is the issue. Even if a driver isn't getting the best of results you still expect some flashes of brilliance.

MikeD
20th January 2010, 16:09

WRC is not about "fun". It's about winning a World Championship among the best drivers in the world. Many fans follow this sport because they want to see the best talents in the world.

The problem with Matt Wilison is the way he's promoted (By the team and his father), like he actually has some kind of chance at the title in the future. I remember when they on WRR said (in a moment of heat) "Matt Wilson, clearly a star of the future". That's just plain stupid.

He sucks and should do something else. It's embarresing after so many years' to be this bad. He might be quicker than Al-Qassimi right now, but he also has a hell of a lot more experience in WRC cars. Al-Qassimi will easily reach his "level", before he finds out that he won't get any better.

I have always had the feeling that he is at the level that many of us in here (For those of us who have raced in lower categories) would reach. In 2011 when there will be more cars in the WRC (hopefully) he will score a maximum of 2 points during the entire season. Unfortunately it takes that kind of wake-up call for him to realise that he's wasting his time and that people are laughing at him.

He's was actually rated lower on the Crash.net pole that Villagra and Rautenbach. I think that says it all.....

Macd
20th January 2010, 16:56
The only reason his placements improved over 08/09 was due to the MASSIVE reduction in teams and drivers.

306 Cosworth
20th January 2010, 21:58
BORING BORING BORING

Matt Wilson has more talent then any of you f*ckwits/keyboard jockeys on here. Just because he hasn't been putting in the results in the WRC doesn't make him crap as he is far from it.

Watching him at Rallyday last year in the Focus was absolutely brilliant, his car control is fantastic and I will probably never be able to drive like that.

Stop all the crap about him as it's boring, we know he won't win the WRC but it still doesn't mean he doesn't deserve to be there!

He's was actually rated lower on the Crash.net pole that Villagra and Rautenbach. I think that says it all.....

Well that just goes to show how clued up the people who took part in that poll are! Rautenbach is the biggest waste of space in the WRC but yet there's no threads on here moaning about him!

urabus-denoS2000
20th January 2010, 22:28
Spot on 306 Cosworth ;)

After all Wilson was on BRC rally winning pace so he isn't a slow driver,he just isn't on WRC winning pace. The only "negative" thing is that he has so much WRC experience and in my eyes he isn't really advancing.But he is very consistant and if he can drive,I don't see a problem in him competing in WRC

urabus-denoS2000
20th January 2010, 22:34
BTW Does anyone have a link to the video with his race against an RC car?

Langdale Forest
20th January 2010, 22:47
Do you mean the Dave TV scaletrix race?

urabus-denoS2000
20th January 2010, 22:51
Nope,him in a Focus WRC against an RC car in a drag race ;)

306 Cosworth
20th January 2010, 22:59
Here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uogkq2f3QsY

urabus-denoS2000
20th January 2010, 23:04
Thanks ;)

bda
20th January 2010, 23:26
I only got to spectate at one WRC event this year - Rally Australia, at which, IMHO, Matt Wilson was without doubt one of the better guys to watch. Got quite a few great action shots of him, mainly because he used all of the road and plenty of opposite lock. (Which is why he's not on the pace).

There are 3 places that matter on a WRC event - 1st, 2nd and 3rd. If you can't be in one of those then you might as well be remembered.
Henning was as boring as bats**t.
Rautenbach ???!!!.
Don't get me started on Qassimi.

Yes there are a number of faster drivers out there without a seat. That has always been the case. That is not Matt's fault.

I don't care how slow his times are. In a sport over endowed with boring cars and boring driving styles he was a breath of fresh air. He seems like a nice guy and is welcome in my WRC anyday.

And for god's sake stop all the name calling (Wilslow, Slowson etc.) it wasn't funny 3 years ago and it isn't funny now, it's purile and pathetic. Sarcasm at it's bottom feeding lowest. Grow up.

Josti
20th January 2010, 23:40
Rautenbach is the biggest waste of space in the WRC but yet there's no threads on here moaning about him!

Well, I can remember a rant or two. :s tareup:

As far as Wilson goes. In four years of fulltime WRC driver, I haven't seen any development, because after all, consistency was there back in 2006 already. And that's probably the only thing you can grant him. In my opinion he's too conservative in his driving and I think he lacks the character to overcome that.

But in any case, don't really have a problem of him being there.

Tomi
20th January 2010, 23:48

Yes it tells that those who did vote dont know much about who can drive and who not, or are maybe afraid to speak for them self and rather goes with the crowd.

Langdale Forest
21st January 2010, 08:37
He sucks and should do something else. It's embarresing after so many years' to be this bad.

I think he should do the Bristish Rally Championship, there he has a good chance of winning it. :)

Langdale Forest
21st January 2010, 08:38
Well that just goes to show how clued up the people who took part in that poll are! Rautenbach is the biggest waste of space in the WRC but yet there's no threads on here moaning about him!

There have been two threds about him, this is part two.

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126650&highlight=rautenbach+history

Langdale Forest
21st January 2010, 08:45
There are 3 places that matter on a WRC event - 1st, 2nd and 3rd. If you can't be in one of those then you might as well be remembered.
Henning was as boring as bats**t.
Rautenbach ???!!!.
Don't get me started on Qassimi.

And for god's sake stop all the name calling (Wilslow, Slowson etc.) it wasn't funny 3 years ago and it isn't funny now, it's purile and pathetic. Sarcasm at it's bottom feeding lowest. Grow up.

Eveyone know why KAQ is there, but that is for good reason.
That is a pathetic comment about Henning Solberg because he has been on the podium.

Wilson will never be on the podium due to pace alone.

bda
21st January 2010, 09:49
Eveyone know why KAQ is there, but that is for good reason.
That is a pathetic comment about Henning Solberg because he has been on the podium.

Wilson will never be on the podium due to pace alone.

Of the four guys mentioned in my post, Matt Wilson was the only one putting on a show.
That was the point I was trying to make. Perhaps I didn't make that clear enough.
That was also the general consensus of the spectators standing around me throughout the rally.

Qassimi is welcome in my WRC as well, particularly as he brings his friends with him.

I like Henning too. Seems like a fun bloke. He had a laugh with my wife & friends at a control. And you are right, he has been on the podium before, but at Rally Australia 2009 he was boring to watch - he was just making up the numbers in fact. A very un-inspiring drive. (pathetic comment?)

Wilson - yes you are probably right. Refer to my original post.

306 Cosworth
21st January 2010, 12:34
I think he should do the Bristish Rally Championship, there he has a good chance of winning it. :)

But what's the point in that? It'd just be a step backwards going from WRC to Group N, it'd prove nothing. He's already spent a couple of seasons in the BRC and he showed how quick he was when he was first starting out, now his level of skill is beyond that of the BRC but just not quite quick enough for the top of the WRC.

Langdale Forest
21st January 2010, 17:32
But if he won the BRC in a group N car, he would have some 'fame'

tmx
21st January 2010, 19:49
I wonder why Nelson Piquet Jr. didn't go rallying instead of Nascar.

Langdale Forest
21st January 2010, 22:37
NASCAR was probably a more obious chioce for him.

WRCfan
22nd January 2010, 03:59
There can only be one winner, there must be other drivers to make up positions after the top 3. Why do you whinge about Matt being there?

Without pulling the `he is stealing other drivers seats by wasting his time there` I don't think there is any VALID reason he shouldn't be...

My 2 c

Camelopard
22nd January 2010, 04:59
There can only be one winner, there must be other drivers to make up positions after the top 3. Why do you whinge about Matt being there?

Without pulling the `he is stealing other drivers seats by wasting his time there` I don't think there is any VALID reason he shouldn't be...

My 2 c

Too true, how many of the knockers of Mathew on this forum would give up their seat for someone with possibly more ability but less cash if they enjoyed the good luck to be in his position?

Not many, if any, I suspect.

So to you armchair critics out there, how are you doing your bit to find a seat for your favourite driver if they don't have one?

As a disclaimer, I will admit that I have "bashed" conrad on here, but that has neen more to do with where 'daddy billy' gets his "hard earned" cash from, rather conrad's driving ability. I must admit though, I did enjoy his roll right in front of us at Rally Germany a couple of years ago.

Langdale Forest
22nd January 2010, 08:18
Everyone knows Wilson is only there because his dad owns the Ford W.R.C team, otherwise Atkinson would have probably been in that seat.

urabus-denoS2000
22nd January 2010, 09:50
No he wouldnt because he has no money.

Don't you get it?

Works teams=paid drivers
M2 drivers=drivers how pay for their seats (or their dad has a WRC team)

Atko not driving has NOTHING to do with Wilson.His problem is that there are only 4 paid drivers and he's not in them.If Atko brings money he will drive a Ford like Wilson

N.O.T
22nd January 2010, 10:42
the thing about matt is that the guy hasn;t showed a single step of improvement all these years...he will be a tomato can no matter how many millions his daddy spends...

the finish guys now come and say that he is good, so when kimi manages to be close to wilsons times they will say he is good also (those finish managers sure know how to manipulate those hairless sheeps)....

let the battle of the tomato cans begin.....i will be the judge.

DonJippo
22nd January 2010, 11:07
those finish managers sure know how to manipulate those hairless sheeps....

Try to get your facts right, Kimi does not have a Finnish manager ... about sheeps well there I trust your knowledge ...

Tomi
22nd January 2010, 11:07
the thing about matt is that the guy hasn;t showed a single step of improvement all these years...he will be a tomato can no matter how many millions his daddy spends...

the finish guys now come and say that he is good, so when kimi manages to be close to wilsons times they will say he is good also (those finish managers sure know how to manipulate those hairless sheeps)....

let the battle of the tomato cans begin.....i will be the judge.

I dont think he is any good, but better than rautenbach, what makes it interesting, to compaire Kimi towards Wilson is, how much a talented driver can progress in 1 year, now we already know how much a guy with limited talent progress in few years.

306 Cosworth
22nd January 2010, 11:38
Another thing you lot probably don't know it Matt does a hell of a lot of Test work on the cars testing new components, seeing what works and what doesn't.

Tomi
22nd January 2010, 11:41
Another thing you lot probably don't know it Matt does a hell of a lot of Test work on the cars testing new components, seeing what works and what doesn't.

I have been to watch fords tests a few times, he is often present there and do some work for the team.

driveace
22nd January 2010, 12:08
Thought Marko Martin did some testing for Ford.
In my eyes Mathew would have been better,by coming up through the junior classes like Loeb did in the Saxo,i also think this taught Loeb how to be a fast peddler Downhill,and thats where Loeb gains

Langdale Forest
22nd January 2010, 17:37
This thread is very boring now because everyone repeats why they say.