PDA

View Full Version : Renault Lotus and Lotus-Renault

VkmSpouge
5th November 2010, 18:25
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87936

According to Autosport.com the Renault are looking at a tie-in with Lotus Cars from next season as Renault look to become an engine supplier only. Of course they've confirmed a deal with Lotus Racing yesterday but only used the 1Malaysia Racing name not any reference to Lotus in the press release. I just hope Lotus Racing do continue and become Team Lotus next season if only to confuse people with all the Lotus-Renaults driving around :D

Sonic
5th November 2010, 20:49
*groan*

This is getting as silly as BMW Sauber Ferrari!

steveaki13
5th November 2010, 21:32
*groan*

This is getting as silly as BMW Sauber Ferrari!

If Sauber had used Lotus for cars this year, could have been a BMW Sauber Ferrari Lotus. :p

RMLCruzeing82
5th November 2010, 21:45
does this mean with all the crazy names...HRT's new name is going to be
HRT-Williams with Williams f1 supplying HRT gear boxes

Ranger
5th November 2010, 22:40
So, the current Renault team will become Lotus-Renault next year, and the current Lotus team will become whatever Fernandez names/ can legally name it?

Another opinion:

Fernandes has bought the rights to call the outfit Team Lotus next year, but there isn’t room for two teams called Lotus in F1 and the brand confusion isn’t helpful. There is a much bigger political game at play in Malaysia and it may be that Fernandes has used this situation as a bargaining tool for something else in other areas of his business.

He does have a genuine passion for Lotus and his relations with the Chapman family are sincere, but he may decide not to fight this one. Instead he might decide to call his team Air Asia F1 or something else. Fernandes is a builder of brands and although he’s invested quite a bit in building Lotus Racing over the last 12 months, F1 as a platform for business is a long term programme for him and starting again next year with a new brand isn’t the end of the world.

Dr. Krogshöj
6th November 2010, 12:32
Team Air Asia or something like that would be logical, but Tune F1 Team or Tune Racing could be in the cards too. The Tune Group's new sponsorship deal with the Professional Game Match Officials Board will include Tune logos instead of Air Asia logos in the Premier League so they obviously want to promote that brand too. Group Lotus doesn't have the right to "Team Lotus" so even if all these rumours are true, the Enstone team would be called Lotus Renault F1 Team in my opinion.

UltimateDanGTR
6th November 2010, 13:26
this is all quite ridiculous. I will be annoyed if we end up with '1malaysia f1 team'-that would be truly awful.

Lets just hope this all gets sorted nicely, but if it does we would probably end up seeing two lotuses in F1, not a particularly good thing surely?

ZEROX
6th November 2010, 14:34
this is all quite ridiculous. I will be annoyed if we end up with '1malaysia f1 team'-that would be truly awful.

Lets just hope this all gets sorted nicely, but if it does we would probably end up seeing two lotuses in F1, not a particularly good thing surely?

Damn right!
Although i'm Malaysian but those name are kinda.....well..i think you guys know...

We will probably have Lotus A-team and Lotus B-team...
Just like Red Bull and Torro Rosso.... :p

UltimateDanGTR
6th November 2010, 17:13
Damn right!
Although i'm Malaysian but those name are kinda.....well..i think you guys know...

We will probably have Lotus A-team and Lotus B-team...
Just like Red Bull and Torro Rosso.... :p

only thing is I'm not too keen on A-teams and B-teams either! (Super Aguri aside-but they were very loveable)

I'm not a fan of racing teams with national/continental/regional names in their name (outside of the defunct A1GP series). If it was up to me Force India would be called Kingfisher F1 :D

Team Fernandes maybe? I actually quite like that.

Norwegian Blue
6th November 2010, 18:44
Fernandes Racing was an indycar team right?

UltimateDanGTR
6th November 2010, 19:22
Fernandes Racing was an indycar team right?

no, that's Fernandez. (Adrian Fernandez, Mexican, opposed to Tony fernandes, Malaysian.) Champ Car, Indy Car and now ALMS was/is there game.

Clearly, this would be slightly confusing to 'casual viewers', but its better than Team Air Asia or 1Malaysia

Jag_Warrior
6th November 2010, 19:47
Bernie should send both parties to spend a weekend with Donald Trump so he could teach them about branding! This is becoming silly!

Duchess
6th November 2010, 21:27
I could see the monetary appeal for Renault (they haven't had a title sponsor since ING) but Lotus-Renault would just be ridiculous. The 5Live boys were giggling about it but honestly. Need to get some proper branding up in here.

Dr. Krogshöj
7th November 2010, 09:43
I could see the monetary appeal for Renault (they haven't had a title sponsor since ING) but Lotus-Renault would just be ridiculous. The 5Live boys were giggling about it but honestly. Need to get some proper branding up in here.

It all depends how they file their entry. Team name and constructor name are two different things in the entry form. The latter consists of the chassis name and the engine name.

For example: Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro (team name) and Ferrari (constructor). Vodafone McLaren Mercedes (team name) and McLaren Mercedes (constructor). AT&T Williams (team name) and Williams Cosworth (constructor).

Just because the Enstone team names itself Lotus Renault F1 Team, they won't be called Lotus Renault. But if they file the chassis name as Lotus and the engine name as Renault, they will be called Lotus Renault, or simply Lotus.

truefan72
7th November 2010, 09:56
I heard it could likely be
Current Renault: to become Lotus Renault
Current Lotus F1: to become Malaysia F1 Renault

ZEROX
7th November 2010, 10:43
only thing is I'm not too keen on A-teams and B-teams either! (Super Aguri aside-but they were very loveable)

I'm not a fan of racing teams with national/continental/regional names in their name (outside of the defunct A1GP series). If it was up to me Force India would be called Kingfisher F1 :D

Team Fernandes maybe? I actually quite like that.

YUP. Apart from SA.

But i also don't think it will rename to Team Fernandes.
The most possible will be Air Asia Formula1 team or something similiar like that... :p

It's sad though, dispute for just because of that damn name. A nation didn't help their countrymen. A PITY poo indeed. :(