PDA

View Full Version : Off Season Press Releases for Nov 2

Steve-o
3rd November 2010, 02:31
http://www.fanviewpoint.com/2010/11/izod-indycar-off-season-press-releases.html

Included; Belardi team expands to Firestone Indy Lights, Kanaan, Meira tackle Ironman 70.3 triathlon, Walker Racing announces charity workshop tour, Tickets on sale for IZOD IndyCar Series return to Milwaukee Mile, Jenny Murphy to lead group sales initiative at Iowa Speedway.

Enjun Pullr
3rd November 2010, 02:59
The big news could be tomorrow. Edmonton City council is holding a press conference about the 2011 race, and it ain't lookin good.

controlledchaos
3rd November 2010, 03:11
The big news could be tomorrow. Edmonton City council is holding a press conference about the 2011 race, and it ain't lookin good.

EDMONTON — Edmonton’s signature summer auto race is dead.

Three sources familiar with ongoing negotiations between the City of Edmonton and race promoters Octane Management of Montreal confirmed Tuesday evening that the late July event will be taken off the Indy Racing League schedule immediately and won’t likely return.

“It is tremendously disappointing, particularly after the fanfare of welcoming Octane to the fold and having the press conference with the mayor (in July),” said Terry Angstadt, president of the IRL’s commercial division. “Just in terms of the way it has happened, it doesn’t make you feel terribly welcome. We always say that we need places that want us to be there. We thought we had that in Edmonton. To have this come down and not receive a call is a little shocking.”

He said the IRL had not been invited into the latest negotiation process by either side.

Octane and the city had come to an agreement last July to hold three races on the western side of the City Centre Airport and the city was going to contribute $5.5 million over that three-year term as a major sponsor. However, one of the airport’s two runways was permanently closed in August and late that month the city asked Octane to reconfigure the track in the northeast section of the airfield to keep the one remaining runway open year-round.

Two sources said Octane agreed to the move but asked the city to contribute financially to expenses related to setting up a new temporary track in the northeast corner of the airfield, most notably paving costs.

“That would mean we would need to shift away from the runway we race on now to the other location,” said Angstadt. “I was told our promoters, who I have tremendous respect for, had the new track laid out and estimated the improvements required. I think it was maybe in the $2 million to $3 million range and for the size and scope of an event like this one, nobody expected any push back.

“But our promoter got a call and was told it was voted out.”

A source said Octane declared last Friday as a deadline for a deal as they were anxious to begin marketing the race and selling ticket packages to take advantage of the Christmas sales period.

Angstadt said he believes Octane president Francois Dumontier will work hard to find another venue for the race, perhaps as early as 2011. If not, the two sides will work toward 2012.

“He is actively pursuing that,” said Angstadt. “There are a number of locations that might be good. We don’t want to fill a date with a marginal event. Francois is a pro. I have a lot of confidence in him. There are some venues that have been talked about. We love Vancouver as a possibility. Calgary has certainly been talked about.”

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Edmonton+Indy+race+dead/3767074/story.html

tfisch100
3rd November 2010, 03:59
Edmonton Is Dead. It is sad, but sometimes inevitible fact when you use someone elses yard for a playground, they want it back.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Edmonton+Indy+race+dead/3767074/story.html

Enjun Pullr
3rd November 2010, 04:07
Real kool chaos, making me look bad. You couldn't have waited 49 minutes? :s mokin:

Here's what's really funny. IndyCar posted an article today, saying that Mr. Angstadt's Commercial Division had ushered in an increase of $66 + MILLION in total sponsor spend in the last year.

Does anybody know what this figure represents? 'Cause it sure doesn't represent real money, or the Series would have enough to sanction and promote its own races. And the teams would be hiring drivers and begging for new equipment to purchase.

Tossing out a few million to fund the 17th race, and keep the 16th, wouldn't seem like much of a problem. Or handing a check to the Lights champ, or the oval course/ road course champs.....

Chris R
3rd November 2010, 13:08
Edmonton cancelled - arguh - shades of Champcar - don't need stuff like this - makes the sport look amateur....

Scotty G.
3rd November 2010, 13:18
Makes the sport look amateur....

That's because it is amateur. :mad:

This is what you get sometimes, when you don't race on real race tracks.

Chamoo
3rd November 2010, 13:27
I don't think a second event in Canada is lost for 2011. I could see Calgary stepping up to fill the void, or even Vancouver in 2012.

I remember last year there were discussions in place to have a third Canadian race in Calgary.

TURN3
3rd November 2010, 14:27
That's because it is amateur. :mad:

This is what you get sometimes, when you don't race on real race tracks.

This is a blow but Indycar has an opportunity to fend it off by replacing it. If that can be done of course, which we'll find out in the coming months.

I am genuinely curious Scotty, have you submitted your resume to the league? Seems you have all the answers and anything else that goes on is epic failure or amatuerish in your opinion....maybe you'd be our saving grace! Give it a shot, with all the great ideas and solutions you post you surely have my support. Here is a list of all the easy fixes I can remember you posting anyway:

nigelred5
3rd November 2010, 18:25
There's always Mosport.

vintage
3rd November 2010, 21:13
Cleveland or Mont Tremblant!

Easy Drifter
3rd November 2010, 22:38
I think you can forget Mosport. It is only 65 miles from from downtown Toronto and within the GTA. Plus ALMS are there 2 weeks after Toronto so there are few open dates. That 2 weeks was the Edmonton date.
St. Jovite is possible but has limited crowd space and a bunch of nearby NIMBYS who bought long after the track was built.

Enjun Pullr
3rd November 2010, 23:45
So is there anyone here who "merges threads"? The addition of the second one has created some confusion, yes?

Lee Roy
4th November 2010, 13:35
Not a press release, but I heard on the radio this morning that the organizers of the Baltimore race have asked for a couple more million dollars for some track work and had also missed a scheduled bond payment. There may be more detail in the Baltimore paper, which I don't get.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/auto-racing/baltimore-grand-prix/bs-md-bpw-grand-prix-pit-20101103,0,6330126.story

The nickeling and diming begins. Also, they have noticed Edmonton.