PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear cancelled?

Dave B
11th March 2007, 13:30
Clarkson says it won't be back, the BBC say it will.... :\

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6439449.stm

Top Gear will return in the summer, the BBC has said - despite host Jeremy Clarkson declaring that it will not.
At the end of latest series last week, the BBC Two announcer assured viewers the show would be back in the summer.

But in his newspaper column in The Sun, Clarkson said: "Can I just say, here and now, it won't be."

A BBC spokesman responded by saying: "Top Gear will be back. A summer special is planned." A new series would reach screens in the autumn, he added.

Mark
12th March 2007, 08:04
Moved this to a new thread as I think it's important.

Clarkson has been saying for a while that he thinks the current format of Top Gear is coming towards the end of its run. I guess it just depends how much money the BBC offer him :mark: . Even if there is a new series that is likely to be the last.

Unless of course they do what they did last time and just replace Clarkson.

Hotbikerchic33
12th March 2007, 09:11
Its Back in the summer with a new series!

Have you heard? that clarkson,hammond and may are doing a song for comic relief on friday should be a laugh :p :) ;) :D

Mark
12th March 2007, 09:15
Its Back in the summer with a new series!

Have you read what Clarkson has said?

Dave B
12th March 2007, 09:20
Which seems to backed up by Johnny Vaughan's comments in the Sunday Times (http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/article1492241.ece):

It’s a shame, then, and a little puzzling, that there is no scheduled date for a new series of Top Gear. There are rumours it will be back in the summer but no firm plans.

I understand this is because of internal machinations at the BBC. I don’t understand the complexities but what I do know is that Michael Grade, the new boss at ITV, is desperate to bulldoze out some of the game shows and reality TV cluttering up his channels and bring in new, quality programming. I’m sure he’d like nothing better than to build ITV’s Sunday night schedule around a new version of Top Gear with Jeremy Clarkson as anchor.

If Auntie can’t stand the excitement any longer, maybe it’s time to let someone else take the wheel.

:s

Hotbikerchic33
12th March 2007, 09:20
Have you read what Clarkson has said?

Yes but maybe it will come back without Clarkson who knows! :D

Mark
12th March 2007, 09:27
Top Gear on ITV? Hahahahaha. NO :mad:

Funks
12th March 2007, 09:29
Perhaps Endemol are getting hold of it and will be turning it into a reality show, coupled with a phone in feature that turns out to be a scam.

BeansBeansBeans
12th March 2007, 09:34
I'd be 50% disappointed because I enjoy watching the show, and 50% relieved because I thought the last series was largely rubbish, and I think they've taken it as far as it can go. Maybe it will move to ITV, with Ant & dec presenting, and Kate Thornton as the Stig.

Brown, Jon Brow
12th March 2007, 09:37
Top Gear cancelled?!?!?!? :eek:

Suicide is the only option now! :bigcry:

Hotbikerchic33
12th March 2007, 10:19
I very much doubt that Top Gear will move to ITV :D

I personally thought the last series was really good bit silly in places but still good all the same ;) :)

AndySpeed
12th March 2007, 11:21
I simply can't imagine Clarkson saying 'and we'll be back... after the break'. I don't think he would do it, and there are probably issues elsewhere that are leading him to say it won't be back.

LotusElise
12th March 2007, 12:26
He said that they were filming the summer special and would be "back" with that. I don't think he actually mentioned a new series at all.

Hazell B
12th March 2007, 19:00
I predicted this a few weeks ago in the other thread :D

New contract time, Grade on t'other side offering cash, lack of new ideas, lack of hair regrowth ... I could go on ;)

NoahsGirl
12th March 2007, 19:01
I have no idea what to watch on a Sunday in between series as it is...can't imagine having the point of a TV licence when the one programme on the Beeb I do like may not return. Have always got my DVDs and this Friday's Top Gear of the Pops on BBC2 at 10pm to look forward to.

AndySpeed
12th March 2007, 19:19
Clarkson at the end of the last episode:

"And on that bombshell it's time to end the show and indeed the series. We've no idea when we'll be back. I tell you something though, the three of us will be back here to record a special Top Gear of the Pops for Comic Relief in a couple of weeks, so we hope to see you then. Thank you very much for watching"

no mention of when a new series would be or a summer special, wherever people got that idea from...

BeansBeansBeans
12th March 2007, 19:21
...can't imagine having the point of a TV licence when the one programme on the Beeb I do like may not return.

The point is, that without a TV licence, you won't be able to watch any channel at all.

Henry Cutts
12th March 2007, 19:29
I hope it is back again, best motoring show on tv.

slinkster
12th March 2007, 19:31
It'll be a shame if it doesn't, I actually thought the format was doing really well... there seemed to be a bigger and bigger audience visiting every week, though they did seem to do increasingly dafter stuff.

Dunno... I can imagine any ITV attempt being pretty crap, just like all the fifth gear, pulling power type programs that tried to take on the Top Gear mantle.

Hotbikerchic33
13th March 2007, 08:02
Although i am a big fan of Top Gear i dont think my world would end if it didnt come back with a new series! Jeremy has done the show for a long time now so maybe he is bored with it and wants to do something new :confused:

We will just have to wait and see what happens but its not the end of the world as i said! :)

As no doubt he will be back on TV doing something else! :)
and Top Gear is repeated god knows how many times a week on sky! :D

Alfa Fan
13th March 2007, 11:25

"And on that bombshell it's time to end the show and indeed the series. We've no idea when we'll be back. I tell you something though, the three of us will be back here to record a special Top Gear of the Pops for Comic Relief in a couple of weeks, so we hope to see you then. Thank you very much for watching"

no mention of when a new series would be or a summer special, wherever people got that idea from...

But then the BBC person who talks over the ending credits confirmed Top Gear would return in Autumn.

stevie_gerrard
13th March 2007, 20:53

But the BBC did say at the end that it would be back in the summer, so god knows whats happening. :confused: (someone beat me to it, sorry :p : )

It would be a shame to lose Top Gear, but ive been a little worried this day was coming for a long time, anyway i think they are losing their touch ;) :p :

Bezza
13th March 2007, 22:54
Clarkson just wants more money. He is the best in the business and if he leaves the show will falter. He knows this :D Just a negotiating tactic.

Saying that, I agree that the Top Gear style is limited before it gets samey. The good thing is that new cars come out all the time, so the material is there, and there lots of celebrities that haven't driven round the track yet. The challenges, and other light-hearted features, are the bits that will get repetitive as they run out of idea's. We need to rely on them being imaginative for a few more years yet. Personally I think Hammond's crash put another three series onto the show! And the last series was one of the best!

Jezza on ITV, it just wouldn't work.

Ian McC
14th March 2007, 08:55
Top Gear is bigger than Clarkson, if he leaves then they may just rest it for a while, anyone want to pick a replacement? James Allen maybe? :eek: :p :

jim mcglinchey
14th March 2007, 09:09
Clarkson should go off and do programmes about great commando raids of World War Two. Id really love to hear him recount the heroics during mission impossible at St Nazaire.........what? Its on this week?

Mark
14th March 2007, 09:39
It does get a bit tiresome hearing about the latest supercar which is "simply astonishing". I'm not suggesting they do what many people ask and be a consumer programme for small cars but a bit of variety wouldn't go amiss.

tony_yeboah
14th March 2007, 10:57
but the fact is, is that these new supercars are simply astonishing. i couldnt care less about a new fiesta or something. its not about watching the programme to decide what car your going to buy, unless your a footballer of course :D

5th Gear is better in that sense. They need to lose lovejoy, and stick to what its good at.

Mark
19th March 2007, 12:15
Clarkson has now said that Top Gear will return in the Autumn

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a44078/clarkson-admits-top-gear-will-return.html

Brown, Jon Brow
19th March 2007, 12:18
Clarkson has now said that Top Gear will return in the Autumn

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a44078/clarkson-admits-top-gear-will-return.html

:bigcry:

(tears of joy)

Dave B
19th March 2007, 13:49
Good news :up:

Did anybody see Top Gear Of The Pops - the 11th hour replacement for the Question of Sport special which was axed because Jade Goody was one of the panellists?

Hilarious in parts, especially pulling the plug on "Jizzy Tissue"; slightly laboured in others. But all for charideeeee, mate :D

slinkster
19th March 2007, 14:56
I saw Top Gear of The Pops... thought it was actually all quite well done.

Was that "Jizzy Tissue" a real rapper or was it for show?

Mark
19th March 2007, 15:01
Jizzy Tissue was a name just used for Top Gear. He usually calls himself Lethal Bizzle real name, Maxwell Ansah

slinkster
19th March 2007, 15:29
Jizzy Tissue was a name just used for Top Gear. He usually calls himself Lethal Bizzle real name, Maxwell Ansah

hehe yeah I figured he wasn't called Jizzy Tissue, couldn't remember his other name... but I couldn't work out if he was for real or not since Clarkson cut his set ... suprised he wasn't more angry about it if it wasn't planned! :laugh:

SEATFreak
19th March 2007, 16:34
It would be a shame to lose Top Gear, but ive been a little worried this day was coming for a long time, anyway i think they are losing their touch ;) :p :

My personal sense was that their was a distinct lack of that something that makes them perform as they do - with the enthusiasm and up-for-it mentaltity.

Yet nothing I can think of would be a valid reason for JC making a statement which is exactly the opposite of what his employers are saying - that TG isn't coming back when the BBC say it is.

It isn't Richard's crash because I get the distinct feeling even Richard himself is happy to move on from that. It cannot be a lack of ideas because they seem to have this eternally deep resevoir of ideas. TG would not have lasted if they didn't.

I am concerned.

harvick#1
19th March 2007, 16:39
what makes me mad is that Copyright laws took of all the good episodes from youtube :mad:

its bad enough I don't get to see the show, but I can't even watch the great challanges they had before :mad:

NoahsGirl
19th March 2007, 22:11
I thought that the Top Gear of the Pops was excellent, very funny! There is a new DVD out in June featuring the Toyboata et al cars, cheap italian motors and a couple from the Winter Olympics.

can't wait!

stevie_gerrard
19th March 2007, 22:28
Top Gear of the pops was awesome.

By the way, is it just me, or did that Mcfly song they did actually sound GOOD??? :p :

RaikkonenRules
19th March 2007, 22:30
I very much doubt that Top Gear will move to ITV :D

I personally thought the last series was really good bit silly in places but still good all the same ;) :)

Top Gear is far too good for ITV :p :

Dave B
20th March 2007, 10:11
By the way, is it just me, or did that Mcfly song they did actually sound GOOD??? :p :
Just you :p

Donney
20th March 2007, 10:26
Yep, just you but fun nevertheless. I'm surprised to see Hammond so comfortable playing bass guitar whereas Clarkson on drums... :p :

Hazell B
20th March 2007, 15:58
Just you :p

Wrong Mr Brockman, I liked McFly's bit too :p :
Shame it sounded so practiced :rolleyes: although the superb use of the word penis was duly noted :D

Dave B
20th March 2007, 19:46
Yeah, but you like Busted :p

Hazell B
20th March 2007, 19:48
You've got a Steps (or S Club Seven, I get the two confused) CD in your collection ;)

CarlMetro
20th March 2007, 19:54
You've got a Steps (or S Club Seven, I get the two confused) CD in your collection ;)

..........and you go to Go West concerts :\

Hazell B
20th March 2007, 20:00
Look, when Peter Cox buys you Guinness, you don't moan okay? :p :
Brockman likes Tony Hadley .....

Anyway, not been this year :(