PDA

View Full Version : Origins of Red Bull Racing....

Brown, Jon Brow
1st November 2010, 22:22
I was always a fan of Jaguar Racing and I can't help thinking what would have happened if Jaguar was still in F1. Would they have ever developed into the front running team Red Bull became?

How many of the staff at Red Bull will have worked through the transitions from Stewart Grand Prix to Jaguar to Red Bull?

ioan
1st November 2010, 23:00
Jaguar (Ford) were not really getting any better before the RedBull buy out.

Brown, Jon Brow
1st November 2010, 23:02
Jaguar (Ford) were not really getting any better before the RedBull buy out.

True point.

But what caused the revelution? Would Jaguar have been as succesful as Red Bull if their deal with Adrian Newey hadn't fallen through?

ioan
1st November 2010, 23:03
True point.

But what caused the revelution? Would Jaguar have been as succesful as Red Bull if their deal with Adrian Newey hadn't fallen through?

Who knows?!
F1 isn't a one man show anymore.

Josti
1st November 2010, 23:25
To be honest Red Bull weren't fairing much better until the new rules got applied in 2009.

Not sure on what budget Jaguar drove, but I guess Red Bull had/have a bit more to spend. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sleeper
1st November 2010, 23:58
By all accounts, Jaguar were never going to end up as regular winners. By the time Tony Purnell turned up at the team and turned them into something a bit more respectable than they were in the days of Rahal and Lauda, the huge budget Ford had offered up was being cut back and some of the people that had been hired had to be let go (admitidely, a lot of the people Ford hired on after buying Stewart were little more than middle management).

Its a shame Paul Stewart contracted cancer when he did, as I reckon he could have led the team far better than any of his successors ever did before Purnell turned up.

D28
2nd November 2010, 00:39
By all accounts, Jaguar were never going to end up as regular winners. By the time Tony Purnell turned up at the team and turned them into something a bit more respectable than they were in the days of Rahal and Lauda, the huge budget Ford had offered up was being cut back and some of the people that had been hired had to be let go (admitidely, a lot of the people Ford hired on after buying Stewart were little more than middle management).

Its a shame Paul Stewart contracted cancer when he did, as I reckon he could have led the team far better than any of his successors ever did before Purnell turned up.

Jackie Stewart is pretty critical of Ford management style in
Winning Is Not Enough. He argues that Stewart Grand Prix was basically on the right track before the buyout, and that a very small staff was replaced by committees of Ford executives. That is his position and is not surprising, but the Ford record tends to add some weight to his argument.

CNR
2nd November 2010, 00:40
To be honest Red Bull weren't fairing much better until the new rules got applied in 2009.

Not sure on what budget Jaguar drove, but I guess Red Bull had/have a bit more to spend. Correct me if I'm wrong.
from what i can find
http://www.maybenow.com/How-much-does-an-F1-car-cost-overall-q8437883

Operating the cars at tests
$ 7,500,000 Jaguar

Operating the cars at races
$17,000,000 Jaguar

Research and development
$ 1,500,000 Jaguar

Wind tunnel operating costs
$ 5,500,000 Jaguar

Car manufacturing costs
$1,400,000 Jaguar

about £70 million

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/253797/

Red Bull invested an extra £25 million into its Formula One team last year to help fund its assault on the 2010 world championship, according to reports.
In the year to 31 December 2009, Red Bull’s spending increased by 29.5 per cent to £107 million, in order to fund early development of its successful 2010 challenger. The team’s costs increased by 8.8 per cent to £157 million, with its single biggest expense believed to be the £57.2 million spent on research and development. This rose by 18.8 per cent year on year.

Hawkmoon
2nd November 2010, 07:41
As much as I think Christian Horner is a lying, cheating, two-faced, hypocritical son-of-a-motherless-goat, I think he deserves a little credit for Red Bulls success. Even if it's just for letting Newey do his thing.

I am evil Homer
2nd November 2010, 09:21
Stewart laid the foundations, Ford messed it up, Horner and Red Bull got it back on track and evolved it into a consistently winning team.

Mark
2nd November 2010, 09:35
At least they won as the Stewart team! Thanks should go to Jackie to setting the operation up in the first place, the first totally new F1 team in a long time until this year where all the new teams came along.

evooo
2nd November 2010, 10:06
i still remember i think it was aust 99 where barrichello and herbert both put their hands up at around the same time to signal a car problem on the starting grid...

jens
3rd November 2010, 15:12
If Jaguar had successfully managed to lure Newey in 2001, it is indeed an interesting guessing point that what might have happened. But then again Jaguar was full of politics at that time (team principals were changed quite often) and as a result Newey in co-operation with Jaguar may not have reached their full potential. RBR has clearly more management stability than Jaguar ever had.

Sleeper
4th November 2010, 14:05
At least they won as the Stewart team! Thanks should go to Jackie to setting the operation up in the first place, the first totally new F1 team in a long time until this year where all the new teams came along.
BAR were a totally new team. Sure, they bought out Tyrrell but all they kept was the entry, Pollock wasn't interested in the staff at first and by the time he realised how good they actually most had signed on to work with Honda on the test car of 99 (apparently it was as fast as the Benettons and Williams of that year despite being overweight).

Then there was Toyota.