PDA

View Full Version : Changing channels

tommy2k8
27th October 2010, 15:14
I know this is not important now, but why did the BBC choose to change channels when the Korean GP overran? If that was a football match, they wouldn't have done!

Sonic
27th October 2010, 15:34
It's unlikely that a football match would ever run so far over it's slot. I have no problems with the switch, especially as it cuts down the number of "I tuned in to watch Andrew Marr and F1 was on" type complaints we used to get on ITV when the street had to run late because of F1.

steveaki13
27th October 2010, 22:32
Andrew Marr. :s murf: :p :

Mark
28th October 2010, 08:19
Andrew Marr. :s murf: :p :

Andrew Marr could easily have gone onto BBC2 and allowed continued coverage of the race on BBC1.

I would imagine less people are recording Andrew Marr than are recording the Grand Prix!

yodasarmpit
28th October 2010, 09:15
I was watching the race later on Sky +, so it was so much fun when the channel switch caused the recording to stop with 10 laps or so to go.
Luckily the red button was there to catch the remaining laps.

Dave B
28th October 2010, 10:51
Andrew Marr could easily have gone onto BBC2 and allowed continued coverage of the race on BBC1.

I would imagine less people are recording Andrew Marr than are recording the Grand Prix!
Remember though that this was the week after the spending review announcements and that Marr had Nick Clegg (the deputy PM) as a guest. In terms of national importance it did unfortunately outrank a Grand Prix.

steveaki13
28th October 2010, 17:55
Remember though that this was the week after the spending review announcements and that Marr had Nick Clegg (the deputy PM) as a guest. In terms of national importance it did unfortunately outrank a Grand Prix.

Sad but true ;)

555-04Q2
29th October 2010, 06:07
I don't see teh problem. At the changeover time, pick up the remote and change the channel! I know it is a lot of effort, but you can do it ;)

Or you can just move to Seth Efrica and get 4 hours of uninterupted F1 coverage with no commercial breaks. And they say we are Third World :p :

Dr. Krogshöj
29th October 2010, 11:05
I am really sorry some of you guys had to reach for the remote. Damn shame. I find it ridiculuous that the BBC had hundreds of complaints because of this. I don't buy the "recording the race" whining either. There was a re-air, there's the Red Button, there's iPlayer...

Big Ben
29th October 2010, 11:36
yeah... the drama some people have to go through while me too had the possibility to watch the whole thing without even a commercial break... we romanians are such a fortunate people... and to be brutally honest... so rarely do I stop and think about our less fortunate british brothers

Big Ben
29th October 2010, 11:44
I recall once they did the same monstrosity here too... our cops organized an illegal strike and our retarded president got upset with them and decided to give up the protection services the police force usually gave him while pretending to work one way or another so he organized this very important press conference to say the dumb thing in a very formal way (even so it still sounded really really idiotic) and they had to move the broadcast to the second channel.... but really, me being such a tough guy I handled better than others... I cursed him a little, wished him bad luck and pushed the button... It still hurts but nothing a man can't handle

Sonic
29th October 2010, 12:41
I recall once they did the same monstrosity here too... our cops organized an illegal strike and our retarded president got upset with them and decided to give up the protection services the police force usually gave him while pretending to work one way or another so he organized this very important press conference to say the dumb thing in a very formal way (even so it still sounded really really idiotic) and they had to move the broadcast to the second channel.... but really, me being such a tough guy I handled better than others... I cursed him a little, wished him bad luck and pushed the button... It still hurts but nothing a man can't handle

You're so brave :D ;)

MrJan
29th October 2010, 12:51
People that complain about missing F1 = less than people complaining about missing the Andrew Marr show. It's not just the number of viewers, it's the tempermant....temprament....tempramant...tempremen t...type of viewers too.

Mark
29th October 2010, 14:44
I am really sorry some of you guys had to reach for the remote. Damn shame. I find it ridiculuous that the BBC had hundreds of complaints because of this. I don't buy the "recording the race" whining either. There was a re-air, there's the Red Button, there's iPlayer...

I ended up watching the end of the race using iPlayer on my phone. Not because of the switchover but because I got fed up and went to drive up to the Cairngorms instead.

Jag_Warrior
2nd November 2010, 19:33
Speed Channel has been carrying F1 in the U.S. for a decade or so. If this had been on ESPN, they would have totally muffed this one - ESPN had a hard enough time getting the standard length races right. I stayed up late to watch this one, so I didn't miss anything. And even though I always have Tivo set to record an hour longer than the published end time, this was an extraordinary set of events. I had a new timing & scoring app on the iPod Touch so I was determined to use it live, so that saved me. At best, I would have had to catch the replay later in the week on Speed.

I've heard some complaints from Canadian fans about their coverage for awhile. So I wonder how their carrier(s) handled this weird race?

Duchess
3rd November 2010, 03:14
I've heard some complaints from Canadian fans about their coverage for awhile. So I wonder how their carrier(s) handled this weird race?

You mean our lack of coverage? I've long given up on proper race coverage here and been live streaming races online for years now. Sadly in the 2 minutes it took me to find a new stream that had the BBC2 coverage, Vitaly had his accident and I only realized what happened because I had the F1 driver tracker up on screen. :(