PDA

View Full Version : Porsche Boxster-feedback, opinions, etc

tannat
26th October 2010, 17:42
I'm in the early, early stages of shopping for a Porsche Boxster. I'd like to hear any feedback on build quality, reliability or any other issues forumers would like to share..

Thanks for your input..

Tannat

Daniel
26th October 2010, 17:44
I think Kneeslider has one.

Kneeslider
26th October 2010, 18:11
Indeed I do! Had it since '05 and put 50,000 miles on it since then. It's a '97 2.5l model, with the optional hard top.

It's a great car to point and go, very comfortable, and the biggest surprise is that its not too silly for fuel mileage either. The handling is great if you have been more accustomed to hot hatch type cars, A bit of understeer to let you know you are pushing on, then really easy to balance with a bit of throttle, but even with traction control, it will still bite in the wet. A colleague bought one, and disappeared backwards off the road after only a few weeks ownership.

They aren't bulletproof in terms of reliability, and even if you are handy with the spanners, you won't be able to do much home maintenance without a lift or a pit.

Spares prices are a bit scary. A water pump and fitting kit is about £200.

tannat
26th October 2010, 18:44
They aren't bulletproof in terms of reliability, and even if you are handy with the spanners, you won't be able to do much home maintenance without a lift or a pit.

Spares prices are a bit scary. A water pump and fitting kit is about £200.

yes- about $400 Us is a bit scary...

I assume they are like 911s-easier to simply remove the engines to work on them than while in the car?

I'm sure they drive like a dream. Any problem areas? A friend mentioned oil leaks on earlier models?

Kneeslider
28th October 2010, 10:36
The rear crank oil seal is a known weak point, mine was replaced at 90k miles along with the clutch. The newer modified parts are supposed to be better. A clutch change is about £1k here. Front suspension wishbone bushings can fail, and that is about £300 per side. In particular factor in a clutch change, as mechanically unsympathetic types can get through them very quickly.

Apart from that, regular servicing isn't too expensive, compared to anything else. Tyres are £200 per corner. Pirelli Pzeros are good, Im running Dunlops at the moment.

In summertime I had a good backroad blast with a friend driving a series2 Lotus Elise, which is in theory a quicker car, but on bumpy B roads, the Boxster has similar performance, due to the Elise being rather too stiff for the bumps. The traction control light blinking on at 3 figure speeds is interesting! The limit is your own personal bravery!

anthonyvop
28th October 2010, 20:08
Where are you located?

In the US it is considered a Total Chick Car.

tannat
28th October 2010, 20:10
The rear crank oil seal is a known weak point, mine was replaced at 90k miles along with the clutch. The newer modified parts are supposed to be better. A clutch change is about £1k here. Front suspension wishbone bushings can fail, and that is about £300 per side. In particular factor in a clutch change, as mechanically unsympathetic types can get through them very quickly.

Apart from that, regular servicing isn't too expensive, compared to anything else. Tyres are £200 per corner. Pirelli Pzeros are good, Im running Dunlops at the moment.

In summertime I had a good backroad blast with a friend driving a series2 Lotus Elise, which is in theory a quicker car, but on bumpy B roads, the Boxster has similar performance, due to the Elise being rather too stiff for the bumps. The traction control light blinking on at 3 figure speeds is interesting! The limit is your own personal bravery!

Really appreciate the input, Kneeslider :up:

I feel a bit more comfortable about this now...

tannat
28th October 2010, 20:12
Where are you located?

:laugh:

As a happily married father of two the TCC quotient doesn't mean too much to me...

Memphis TN

I'm really looking for an affordable P car without the engine in the front (924, 944, 928, 968) or in the middle and made by Volkswagen (914).

I'd really like to get a 911, but they hold their value far far too well :(

Kneeslider
28th October 2010, 23:35
Where are you located?

England!

Well, you might think so, but I don't give a damn! It's much more capable than most things on the road, and I get to drive a Porsche every day.

I guess you are one of those guys who thinks that only a real man drives a big car?

gloomyDAY
29th October 2010, 04:16
I know this goes against your rules, but what about a Cayman?

That little car is a total sleeper. Porsche stupidly crippled this car's power in order to keep the Cayman from cannibalizing sales from the 911. In terms of handling, it's even better than it's big brother when it comes to the corners. Also, I know you don't care, but the Cayman is not a chick car.

tannat
29th October 2010, 04:36

I misunderstood you, avop....

Not sure where this vibe comes from, but I don't think of it as chick car, nor have I heard this sentiment amongst any in car circles.

If you have any tidbits on the web (discussions etc) pointing this direction please share a link or two...

tannat
29th October 2010, 04:37
I know this goes against your rules, but what about a Cayman?

That little car is a total sleeper. Porsche stupidly crippled this car's power in order to keep the Cayman from cannibalizing sales from the 911. In terms of handling, it's even better than it's big brother when it comes to the corners. Also, I know you don't care, but the Cayman is not a chick car.

Yes-would love a Cayman, but it is the $ issue that makes a used Boxster attaractive (easily had for less than 10k US)

555-04Q2
29th October 2010, 06:20
tannat, you can't go wrong with a Boxster, if it is for your wife. As like all Porsches they are pretty much bulleproof, but they are for chicks only dude. I don't care what anyone says, men look plain old gay in them (pretty much 90% of open top cars).

Save a little longer and get a Cayman or Cayman S instead. Handles beautifully and with a little bit of fettling under the bonnet you can make here as quick as a 911.

Or you can look at other brands.

Donney
29th October 2010, 07:43
If I had a Boxter I would not care about looking gay at all, to be honest.

tannat
29th October 2010, 11:56
If I had a Boxter I would not care about looking gay at all, to be honest.

No worries, Donney. I'm not deterred in the least... :up:

Jag_Warrior
31st October 2010, 19:57
No worries, Donney. I'm not deterred in the least... :up:

You shouldn't be. Other than an episode of Two and a Half Men, I've never heard the Boxster described as a "chick car" either. From what I know of them, Boxsters are solid performers, though relatively expensive to maintain and service.

When I helped a friend of mine buy a BMW M3 a few years ago, she said she wouldn't buy a Jag because it's a car for female real estate agents. I told her that BMW's are meant for insecure people (men or women) with penis envy. So the Boxster is a chick car. And Corvettes are meant for middle aged men wearing gold chains, on the prowl for stripper girlfriends. Lambos are for nouveau riche poseurs. Ferraris are for social climbers who feel the need to be flashy. Etc., etc., etc.

Every marque has a goofy stereotype attached to it, created by someone... either out of fun or jealousy.

If I was in the market for a sports car, I'd certainly consider a Boxster. But knowing how expensive a lemon could be to fix, I'd probably make good use of CarFax and a dealer I could trust to check it out thoroughly. Good luck!

Lousada
31st October 2010, 20:30
Every marque has a goofy stereotype attached to it, created by someone... either out of fun or jealousy.

It's not a stereotype if it's true. Opentop cars are aimed for and bought by women. Porsche Boxters are considered Chick cars where I come from. If a man was seen driving it, he would not be considered gay, but rather someone in a midlife crisis that can't afford a real Porsche (=911).

Of course, he shouldn't care for one second what other people think. Certainly not what some internet warriors say. :p

What I do wonder is why people always want "good handling" cars. What are you going to do with it that it needs better handling then a normal car? If you're not racing it you'll hardly feel the difference.

Daniel
31st October 2010, 21:41
What I do wonder is why people always want "good handling" cars. What are you going to do with it that it needs better handling then a normal car? If you're not racing it you'll hardly feel the difference.

Would you honestly rather not have a better handling car?

Zico
31st October 2010, 22:21

I'd never buy a soft top for this reason (besides the fact I live in Scotland :D ), but the extra chassis rigidity a hard top provides makes it far more desirable for someone like me. No, I wouldn't race it but Id always buy the best handling option available to give me that extra confidence when having fun exploring its limits.

I do admire your complete disregard of being labelled a homo Tannat, the Boxster is undoubtedly a good car and if you are obviously as comfortable enough with your sexuality to laugh in the face of the shallow detractors driving something that YOU like then fair play to you sir, Im sure it will serve you well.

Captain VXR
31st October 2010, 22:40
Hairdressers drive MX5s not Boxsters.

Jag_Warrior
1st November 2010, 02:04
It's not a stereotype if it's true. Opentop cars are aimed for and bought by women. Porsche Boxters are considered Chick cars where I come from. If a man was seen driving it, he would not be considered gay, but rather someone in a midlife crisis that can't afford a real Porsche (=911).

Of course, he shouldn't care for one second what other people think. Certainly not what some internet warriors say. :p

High comedy? :p

Jag_Warrior
1st November 2010, 02:08

Maybe he prefers a pickup truck or an SUV. You know, something that manly men drive. Maybe he's got an H3 Hummer! :D

markabilly
1st November 2010, 04:32
Maybe he prefers a pickup truck or an SUV. You know, something that manly men drive. Maybe he's got an H3 Hummer! :D

Lately it seems all I see in Mercedes are gays and old women...even the gay and old women are turning their noses up on Beemers

the 911 seems to have become something of a family car, with mom and pop in front, and the kids stuffed in the back

and the housewives are driving the Hummers around like they used to drive the mid-siz SUV

and the cute chicks are all in pick up trucks and real tight pants

Bottom line:
A real man drives an old beat up F250, diesel 4x4........or a motorcycle.....

Jag_Warrior
1st November 2010, 06:06
I saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac...

Buy the Boxster, Tannat... and drive it like you stole it every chance you get.

Enjoy life. It's later than you think. :up:

tannat
1st November 2010, 11:08
Lot of interesting input on the Boxster, as well as other connections with gender role identity and what you drive..

Given some thought I guess I am guilty of it to some degree-don't think I could ever let myself drive the VW New Beetle.... :p

555-04Q2
2nd November 2010, 05:12
Lot of interesting input on the Boxster, as well as other connections with gender role identity and what you drive..

Given some thought I guess I am guilty of it to some degree-don't think I could ever let myself drive the VW New Beetle.... :p

Tannat, if you really wan't the Boxster, just get it and enjoy it! Some people (myself included here) may think you are gay, but at least you will be enjoying yourself.

I love Scoobies like there's no tomorrow, hot Impreza's to be precise, and just because I drive them people think I'm a crazy arsed nutter who doesn't give a sh!t about anyone else on the road. But on the contrary, I am your average Joe who just loves arriving at his destination with an ear bleed compliments of a WRX burble!

Get it tannat, and %&$# what the world has to say about it (me included). Just don't get a pink one ;)